Ravyn Lenae - Sticky

Moderators: urbanmusik, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby urbanmusik » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:09 pm

BEST NEW TRACK
The Chicago singer-songwriter Ravyn Lenae is an R&B prodigy with a magical, high-pitched voice. The 18-year-old’s vocals have been a secret weapon for many of her hometown collaborators, including Mick Jenkins and Noname. On her latest solo single, the Steve Lacy-produced Sticky, she slips into her own version of bubblegum pop with a bite.

Sticky is a steamy affair with a slinky R&B beat, but Lenae sounds like a playfully annoyed lover, glued into a relationship that‘s falling apart. She uses Lacy’s wide-open production—electric organ and psychedelic guitar strums—to experiment with her vocals. Lenae delivers the boppy refrain—”What did you do?/Looking confused”—in a beautiful but piercing falsetto, then whispers promises to someone who clearly keeps breaking their own. The pacing mirrors all the frantic ups and downs of a teetering relationship, with Lenae storming around Lacy’s instrumental, changing her tone and her mind over and over again. Even through all this relationship drama, Lenae makes falling out sound very fun.

p4k
Great single from 18 year old Atlantic signee Rayvn Lenae. She sounds so good against Steve Lacy's warm production, creating an eclectic song that blurs genre lines.

Plus can we talk about that single cover? Giving me major Aaliyah vibes (plus Toni's The Heat must have also been a reference, right?).

urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Gravity » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Love this!
Floped and localed
Gravity
Superstar

Postby Controlfreak » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:55 pm

I like this.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 pm

This is cute. She has a couple of EPs that have some cute moments on them. I've been hip to her for a little bit. She also opened for SZA on her Ctrl tour.
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Loose » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:28 pm

Her EP Moon Shoes did not do much for me but Sticky is the bomb!
LIKE A WEAPON IN THE WRONG HANDS YOU COULD DO DAMAGE
Loose
Legend

Postby Gravity » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 pm

Video!

Floped and localed
Gravity
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 pm

^Nice one!
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo