Janelle Monáe - Dirty Computer

Moderators: urbanmusik, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue May 01, 2018 7:16 pm

This whole thing really touches me deeply. As someone from the same hometown as her (her and my sister went to the same high school even), it just feels so great and empowering to see someone who struggled growing up queer in our close minded hometown really come into their own and step into their light this way. I am moved way beyond words. This project is beautiful :cry:
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby TIfan » Tue May 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Come through mom...

I want her to go so far!!
TIfan
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Janelle's album leaflet includes her influences to each song! I'm gonna upload them here because they've really given some songs serious depth.
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Wed May 02, 2018 9:45 pm

01 DIRTY COMPUTER FEAT. BRIAN WILSON

Inspired by Pecola Breedlove
From Toni Morrison's Novel 'The Bluest Eye': Pecola is the eleven-year-old black girl around whom the story revolves. She is abused by almost everyone in the novel and eventually suffers two traumatic rapes. Pecola's experiences, however, are not typical of all black girls who also have to grow up in a hostile society.
Genesis 3:16
To the woman he said,

“I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
with painful labor you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you.”
Genesis 9:20-27
20 Noah, a man of the soil, proceeded[a] to plant a vineyard. 21 When he drank some of its wine, he became drunk and lay uncovered inside his tent. 22 Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father naked and told his two brothers outside. 23 But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backward and covered their father’s naked body. Their faces were turned the other way so that they would not see their father naked.

24 When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, 25 he said,

“Cursed be Canaan!
The lowest of slaves
will he be to his brothers.”

26 He also said,

“Praise be to the Lord, the God of Shem!
May Canaan be the slave of Shem.
27 May God extend Japheth’s territory;
may Japheth live in the tents of Shem,
and may Canaan be the slave of Japheth.”
The Zong slave ship
The Zong massacre was the mass killing of 133 African slaves by the crew of the British slave ship Zong in the days following 29 November 1781. The Gregson slave-trading syndicate, based in Liverpool, owned the ship and sailed her in the Atlantic slave trade. As was common business practice, they had taken out insurance on the lives of the slaves as cargo. When the ship ran low on potable water following navigational mistakes, the crew threw slaves overboard into the sea to drown, partly in order to ensure the survival of the rest of the ship's passengers, and in part to cash in on the insurance on the slaves, thus not losing money on the slaves who would have died from the lack of drinking water.
The coded virgin belts in Ancient Rome
(cannot find any information on this)
and the secret prisons and detention facilities in Chechenya.
Beginning in February 2017, it has been reported that more than 100 male residents of the Chechen Republic, a part of the Russian Federation, have been abducted, held prisoner and tortured by authorities targeting them based on their perceived sexual orientation. An unknown number of the men, whom authorities detained on suspicion of being gay or bisexual, have reportedly died after being held in what human rights groups and eyewitnesses have called concentration camps.
Last edited by bluecherry on Wed May 02, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby bluecherry » Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 pm

02 CRAZY, CLASSIC, LIFE

Inspired by the vibranium in Wakanda
Vibranium is a fictional metal appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. It is noted for its connection to Black Panther, as his suit is made from vibranium and is found in his native homeland of Wakanda.
wild mushroom tea parties in Mexico
and the notion that true freedom also comes from "the right to be wrong, at least occasionally," see Mary beatd's pronouncement in WOMEN & POWER: "It is not just that it is more difficult for women to succeed: they get treated much more harshly if they mess up. Think Hillary Clinton and those emails..."
03 TAKE A BYTE

Inspired by Eve in the Garden of Eden
In the second narrative, God fashions Adam from dust and places him in the Garden of Eden. Adam is told that he can eat freely of all the trees in the garden, except for a tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Subsequently, Eve is created from one of Adam's ribs to be Adam's companion.
Bilquis the Queen of Sheba in American Gods
Bilquis stars in one of the most memorable scenes in American Gods, when (episode one spoilers!) she demands worship through sex and consumes a man with her vagina as he orgasms.
Marlene Clark in Ganja & Hess
Ganja & Hess is a 1973 experimental horror film written and directed by Bill Gunn and starring Marlene Clark and Duane Jones. The film follows the exploits of anthropologist Dr. Hess Green (Jones) who becomes a vampire after being stabbed by his intelligent, but unstable, assistant (Gunn) with an ancient cursed dagger. Green falls in love with his assistant's widow, Ganja (Clark), who learns Green's dark secret.
and Scheherazade in Arabian Nights
The night passed by, and Scheherazade stopped in the middle. ... At the end of 1,001 nights, and 1,000 stories, Scheherazade told the king that she had no more tales to tell him. During these 1,001 nights, the king had fallen in love with Scheherazade. He spared her life, and made her his queen.
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby naughtynae » Wed May 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Finally got around to watching this, mind blown. She’s just incredible.
naughtynae
Legend

Postby ButterflyD » Fri May 04, 2018 9:40 pm

According to US hits daily double.

Janelle sold 55,000K Sales plus stream. This figure beats her predicted sales plus streams by the industry.

Her pure sales accounted for 42,000k.

She also debut at no.8 in the UK albums chart which gives Janelle her first top 10 album in the UK.

According to what I've seen so far for R&B female releases of 2018 so far, Janelle has the highest first week. I never thought any woman could surpass 50k anymore so Good on you girl as we all know R&B is not selling the way it used to anymore. (However, even though sometimes it's not where you start it is how you finish, good on Janelle for selling past her predicted sales).
ButterflyD
Roadie

Postby Brad » Fri May 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Album of the year. So far.
Brad
Winter Is Coming

Postby Benjamin » Fri May 04, 2018 11:12 pm

I love this chick :)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby stevyy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:08 pm

it's never been so clear to me, but Americans deserves the Grammy for Best R&B song... regardless of what may come out later this year.
stevyy
Legend

Postby flsilva » Thu May 17, 2018 12:54 am

If It were for me, this would simply sweep Next year's Grammy
AOTY + Urban contemporary álbum + long form video
Pynk roty + music video
Django Jane best rap song
I like that r&b song

I don't really give a f If It was Just the only one
flsilva
Personal Assistant

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 am

flsilva wrote:If It were for me, this would simply sweep Next year's Grammy
AOTY + Urban contemporary álbum + long form video
Pynk roty + music video
Django Jane best rap song
I like that r&b song

I don't really give a f If It was Just the only one
That's my shit.
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 am

it will be a toss between her and childish gambino.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Erotica » Thu May 17, 2018 4:05 pm

stevyy wrote:it will be a toss between her and childish gambino.
and he will win then for sure :-?
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu May 17, 2018 4:11 pm

Erotica wrote:
stevyy wrote:it will be a toss between her and childish gambino.
and he will win then for sure :-?
also deservedly... This is America deserves all the major grammys... while Janelle deserves all the R&B category Grammys.
stevyy
Legend

Postby atrophyfathers » Fri May 18, 2018 5:39 pm

Janelle monae never disappoints me. :D

Make me feel, Americans and Take a byte are my favorite at the moment
atrophyfathers
Groupie

Postby Pompeii » Sat May 19, 2018 10:17 am

I feel like she's narrowed her pool of influences but it's still dripping with personality and depth, and in a strange indirect way works as a tribute to Prince's legacy.
Pompeii
Legend

Postby abi » Sat May 19, 2018 6:49 pm

I tried to get into this album & her music in general but I just couldn't. The only song I really, really liked from her was "Primetime" with Miguel. Let me just accept the fact the her music doesn't click with me. :cry:
abi
Legend

Postby Loose » Sat May 19, 2018 6:56 pm

I kind of get your concerns, abi.

Even though Dirty Computer contains various creative bits and bops, I strangely think it lacks... depth.

Which is strange because she actually shows a lot of versatility on this record. But there is just not a single song that I personally feel, comes from a very deep, personal point of view.

But maybe that’s just a personal interpretation and Dirty Computer is the rawest and realest shit ever recorded. :lol:
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sat May 19, 2018 7:01 pm

I think it's more of a concept that she relates to more than being a super raw record,

But I can say her music isn't the easiest to get into. Even though I stan deeply for her, it took me a minute to actually become a fan of her music.
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Loose » Sat May 19, 2018 7:17 pm

I think the record‘s cool, playful, funky and everything.

But I‘m not emotionally attached to it.

It just doesn’t speak to my clit.
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby atrophyfathers » Tue May 22, 2018 7:11 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:I think it's more of a concept that she relates to more than being a super raw record,

But I can say her music isn't the easiest to get into. Even though I stan deeply for her, it took me a minute to actually become a fan of her music.
Yes..it's the point, i took 2 or 3 years to actually enjoy her music, for me the easiest album to get into her music is TEL
atrophyfathers
Groupie

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Loose wrote:
:lol: :lol: I understand.

I’m a big ol’ homo from the same home town as her, so the project reasonates a lot with me.
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby hotMCfan » Fri May 25, 2018 9:13 pm

album of the year 8-) 8-)
hotMCfan
Superstar

Postby adamf2thedeath » Sat May 26, 2018 6:35 am

Loose wrote:I think the record‘s cool, playful, funky and everything.

But I‘m not emotionally attached to it.

I’m screaming! My new favourite saying :lol:
Most listened to albums at the moment:
Christina Aguilera - Liberation
Lily Allen - No Shame
Kali Uchis - Isolation
adamf2thedeath
Superstar

Return to R&B & Urban