En Vogue - Electric Cafe

Moderators: urbanmusik, Benjamin

Postby Benjamin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm

I hope the record is as good as 'Rocket'. The other singles ('Deja Vu', 'Have A Seat') are not so good.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby iMacourey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Controlfreak wrote:Are you gonna purchase and support?
Of course, I pre-ordered the album on Amazon weeks ago!
iMacourey
Roadie

Postby iMacourey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Benjamin wrote:I hope the record is as good as 'Rocket'. The other singles ('Deja Vu', 'Have A Seat') are not so good.
I can honestly say the songs they released as teaser singles are the weakest tracks on the album, which is a relief because for the longest time I assumed they released what they considered the strongest songs to push the album!
iMacourey
Roadie

Postby Benjamin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:23 pm

iMacourey wrote:
Benjamin wrote:I hope the record is as good as 'Rocket'. The other singles ('Deja Vu', 'Have A Seat') are not so good.
I can honestly say the songs they released as teaser singles are the weakest tracks on the album, which is a relief because for the longest time I assumed they released what they considered the strongest songs to push the album!
Thanks! That's good to hear. I will definitely check it out tomorrow. :)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby iMacourey » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:58 pm

iMacourey
Roadie

Postby RayRay » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:18 pm

iMacourey wrote:Tracklist up on iTunes:

1 Blue Skies
2 Déjà Vu
3 Rocket
4 Reach 4 Me
5 Electric Café
6 Life
7 Love the Way
8 Oceans Deep
9 Have a Seat (feat. Snoop Dogg)
10 I'm Good
11So Serious
12 Have a Seat (No-Rap Version) [Bonus Track]

Kinda wish they ditched Deja Vu though - that song goes nowhere and is frankly quite awful.
I'm no fan of Deja Vu either, but I'll just skip it. I'm Good is also very forgetable.
I notice they've left off A Thousand Times, while it has more plays on Spotify than Deja Vu.

I am really curious. They can be very hit and miss. Rocket and Have A Seat are among my most favorite En Vogue songs.
Funky Divas is a great album overall, but Soul Flower has no memorable song at all.
RayRay
Legend

Postby naughtynae » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 am

Personally I loved Soul Flower.
naughtynae
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:55 am

Listening now. It's great album so far, much than TLC's last effort. Love the hint of EDM on some tracks. The album flows nicely. The album's production is stellar as well, surprisingly for an e-One release.

Blue Skies
Rocket
Life
Love The Way
Ocean Deeps
I'm Good
So Serious
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby RayRay » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:26 am

Blue Skies :D :D
RayRay
Legend

Postby Gravity » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:09 am

naughtynae wrote:Personally I loved Soul Flower.
Same!

I will listen to this when I get home from uni :D
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Loose » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Comments on this one?

After the devastating reviews I barely dare listening to it.

I went straight for Kali Uchis' new record though.
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby iMacourey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Devastating reviews?
iMacourey
Roadie

Postby Loose » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:20 pm

I am currently browsing through...

GREAT
+ Blue Skies

GOOD
+ Life
+ Rocket

ODD
+ Electric Café
+ Oceans Deep
Last edited by Loose on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loose
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 pm

AllMusic

3.5/5

Despite multiple lawsuits and fluctuating lineups during a 14-year between-albums gap -- a period during which the original quartet was temporarily intact -- En Vogue recorded Electric Café as the same trio that made Soul Flower. The creative rapport shared by Cindy Herron, Terry Ellis, and Rhona Bennett remains unchanged here on the sixth En Vogue full-length, a whimsical yet surprisingly steady collection of material that continuously switches eras and styles with positive energy beaming all the way through it. The six songs the singers co-wrote with their architects and career-long collaborators, Thomas McElroy and Denzil Foster, are the most adventurous. These include "Electric Café" itself, a strutting, coolly detached new wave-styled number that rhythmically resembles the Romantics more than the Kraftwerk song of the same title. The galloping "Life" incorporates some dubstep trickery, and "Love the Way" is high-gloss dance-pop only tenuously connected to disco, but they're both full songs at the core, with the second one highlighted by the women at their Emotions-like harmonizing best. They recall the Hutchinson sisters again on the Kid Monroe-produced soul-funk throwback "Have a Seat," featuring a compatible if inessential verse from Snoop Dogg. The other big-name collaborators are Ne-Yo, who co-writes the coasting bliss-out "Rocket," and Raphael Saadiq, who teamed with Taura Stinson to write "I'm Good," a loosely funky backdrop for primping before a celebratory night out. Going strictly by the unfussy ease with which this enjoyable album seems to have been knocked out, one wouldn't know that the group's status was ever in doubt.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby ButterflyD » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:09 pm

Number 64 on US iTunes top 100 albums. Album was 48 in the morning and seems to be dropping every hour.
ButterflyD
Roadie

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:35 pm

ButterflyD wrote:Number 64 on US iTunes top 100 albums. Album was 48 in the morning and seems to be dropping every hour.
I'm worried. :( Hopefully, their physical sales will be at least better.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Benjamin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:45 am

Hmm album sounds only okay on the first listen. 'Rocket' definitely stands out.
Hopefully it will grow on me.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Gravity » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:46 am

Too many same-ish sounding songs. Rocket is a clear standout.

I hate the vocal effect on the title track.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby topopMAC1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:03 am

iMacourey wrote:
I agree with that for sure - the early promo singles are the weaker tracks here, although I love "I'm Good".

I've been listening to this loads over the last couple of days. "Electric Cafe" is a really STRONG album. It's growing on me with every listen, it wasn't completely instant for me.

I like that the album album takes you on a sonic journey - and it somehow moulds together really well - from R&B, to dance and then soul. "Rocket", "Reach 4 Me" (hopefully single 2), "Electric Cafe", "Blue Skies", "Life", "Love The Way", "Oceans Deep" & "I'm Good" are my highlights!

Excited to see them for the third time on Tuesday - they seem to come to London every year now and I'm definitely not complaining about that.
"This time I'm gonna get it right. I'm gonna paint my face like the Guggenheim!"
topopMAC1
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:10 am

I don't think they will top their 1990s records.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:12 am

GetBack wrote:I don't think they will top their 1990s records.
That’s like expecting another “Un-break My Heart” from Toni in 2018. “Long As I Live” is good but not that good.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:14 am

Halfway done with my first listen and "Life" is brilliant! :cry: :cry: Also, Rhona's vocals stand out, I love that she has a strong presence in this album. Some of the production sounds like they were really on a tight budget. :-? :-?

Goldmoney wrote:
GetBack wrote:I don't think they will top their 1990s records.
That’s like expecting another “Un-break My Heart” from Toni in 2018. “Long As I Live” is good but not that good.
I actually see "Long as I Live" up there with her classics! :lol: :lol: Such a shame it won't have that impact. :cry: :cry: :cry:
GetBack
Legend

Postby iMacourey » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:53 am

GetBack wrote:Some of the production sounds like they were really on a tight budget. :-? :-? :
Really? Aside from Deja Vu, I thought the production on the rest of the album was surprisingly slick. Even Foster & McElroy upped their game on Blue Skies, Life & So Serious.
iMacourey
Roadie

Postby aaliyahman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:24 pm

I listened to previews on itunes and really am not impressed.

Rocket I bought on first listen but the rest just seems cheap.
"What goes around comes back around my baby"
aaliyahman
Superstar

Postby Loose » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:29 pm

Top 3:

1. Blue Skies
2. Rocket
3. Life
Loose
Legend

Return to R&B & Urban