The Carters - Everything Is Love

Moderators: urbanmusik, Benjamin

Postby naughtynae » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:35 am

We don't love this now? I think this has bopssss
naughtynae
Legend

Postby Ska8er » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:45 am

This is awesome. My favourite album of the year really.

But underperformance and a rushed release doesn't make it a mixtape project.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby Marchum » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:31 am

Ska8er wrote:You guys want to believe that because it's easier to digest that it flopped :lol:
Marchum
Manager

Postby Guru » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:36 am

Ska8er wrote:This is awesome. My favourite album of the year really.

But underperformance and a rushed release doesn't make it a mixtape project.
Marchum wrote:
Ska8er wrote:You guys want to believe that because it's easier to digest that it flopped :lol:
Guru wrote:
ThaInfo1 wrote:
AND SO BITCH :lol:

I honestly really don’t care. I mean they can’t be top dogs all the time in terms of success. I enjoyed the album and hearing Beyoncé talk her shit

@Loveguru mixtape vibes sis? Gonna pray for those ears
Nah sis. I consume music these days not because it’s commercial success. If it’s good, it’s good.
I’m over the whole “it’s a must listen cause it’s famous on the charts and saleswise”. Other recent examples include Fergie and Toni. I loved these albums.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby LittleLinda » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:28 pm

menime123 wrote:If anything I just think it shows people aren’t as receptive to drop releases where Beyoncé is concerned anymore. The album was widely reported upon release but reception to it was nothing like ST or Lemonade.
Am I the only one who realises that a huge chunk of her casual fans don't care about Jay-Z and/or HipHop? Hell, even parts of the BeyHive were not very eager to get a joint album from them. I'm sure if it had spawned a big mainstream hit á là Bonnie & Clyde, it would have flown off the shelves, but as it was, the people less interested in HipHop simply didn't care about this project.
Vice versa I am certain that many diehard Jay-Z fans have zero interest in Bey musically.
"Jayoncé" don't have the same commercial power as each of them individually. It just doesn't work that way, regardless of their many successful features.

The lack of promo played a huge role, too, because unless you saw the US leg of the tour, all you got was the Apeshit video and then literally NOTHING after that.

EIL's performance is by no means any indication of what amount of interest their next solo releases will garner... surprise release or not.
LittleLinda
Manager

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:22 pm

LittleLinda wrote:
menime123 wrote:If anything I just think it shows people aren’t as receptive to drop releases where Beyoncé is concerned anymore. The album was widely reported upon release but reception to it was nothing like ST or Lemonade.
Am I the only one who realises that a huge chunk of her casual fans don't care about Jay-Z and/or HipHop? Hell, even parts of the BeyHive were not very eager to get a joint album from them. I'm sure if it had spawned a big mainstream hit á là Bonnie & Clyde, it would have flown off the shelves, but as it was, the people less interested in HipHop simply didn't care about this project.
Vice versa I am certain that many diehard Jay-Z fans have zero interest in Bey musically.
"Jayoncé" don't have the same commercial power as each of them individually. It just doesn't work that way, regardless of their many successful features.

The lack of promo played a huge role, too, because unless you saw the US leg of the tour, all you got was the Apeshit video and then literally NOTHING after that.

EIL's performance is by no means any indication of what amount of interest their next solo releases will garner... surprise release or not.
I accept all that, but you would assume both fan bases would rush to listen to it... especially the Spotify lot that are still desperately waiting for lemonade. To the casual fan, their songs together have been huge in the past and you expect at least some of that magic repeated here.
It’s worth noting that as far as casual fans are aware, this album had been in the works for years - even dedicated fans were shocked to learn it was recorded in a matter of weeks before release.

For me, I’m surprised Summer never took off as a streaming hit actually (should have been the lead). It’s very ST and considering it was summer... I’m also surprised those who had tickets to upcoming OTRII shows (after date of didn’t rush to buy it, given the expectation they’d add songs from it into the show. Anyway, you’d expect there would be enough fans in both camps to make this a global #1 album.

For me the entire reason for a surprise release is to shock people into engagement with the music. I just didn’t see it happen here, which I think indicates a decline in value and Beyoncé will need to revisit that idea moving forward. Personally I think Apeshit and Formation have a lot in common… so we shall see.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby LittleLinda » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:10 pm

But why exactly would you expect both fanbases to rush to listen to it? That's exactly my point: A lot of them don't care for the other one. Like, at all.
Even a lot of die-hard fans kept complaining about the joint album idea (all those years when it was still just a rumor) and downright said that they'd rather have a solo album. Overall, interest in it seemed to be pretty low from the get-go. I'm actually surprised it even went to #2.

To me joint albums seem like a generally bad idea (commercially). "Fanbase + fanbase" does never equal "Fanbase x2". Come to think of it: Were there any joint albums in music history that were a huge success? The only one I remember doing really well commercially was Watch The Throne.
LittleLinda
Manager

Postby BeeBoy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:25 pm

LittleLinda wrote: The only one I remember doing really well commercially was Watch The Throne.
Even Watch The Throne opened with way less than what both their solo efforts did before, despite **** in Paris being such a big hit and they arguably have a more overlapping fanbase.
I think you're right that definitely was a big part but there were many things which were handled wrong. We will see soon enough if this was really a reflection of steep decline in popularity
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby Guru » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 pm

LittleLinda wrote:But why exactly would you expect both fanbases to rush to listen to it? That's exactly my point: A lot of them don't care for the other one. Like, at all.
Even a lot of die-hard fans kept complaining about the joint album idea (all those years when it was still just a rumor) and downright said that they'd rather have a solo album. Overall, interest in it seemed to be pretty low from the get-go. I'm actually surprised it even went to #2.

To me joint albums seem like a generally bad idea (commercially). "Fanbase + fanbase" does never equal "Fanbase x2". Come to think of it: Were there any joint albums in music history that were a huge success? The only one I remember doing really well commercially was Watch The Throne.
I am proof of not rushing to hear this joint venture. Yes, I’m a Beyoncé stan. I listen to Jay Z but only because of his link to Beyoncé. But this wasn’t a pure Beyoncé project so it could wait.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby LittleLinda » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:17 pm

Guru wrote:
LittleLinda wrote:But why exactly would you expect both fanbases to rush to listen to it? That's exactly my point: A lot of them don't care for the other one. Like, at all.

I am proof of not rushing to hear this joint venture. Yes, I’m a Beyoncé stan. I listen to Jay Z but only because of his link to Beyoncé. But this wasn’t a pure Beyoncé project so it could wait.
Well, I listened to it right away out of curiosity, downloaded it... but when it came to buying the physical - which I do on the day of release when it comes to my faves - I waited for weeks and weeks until it got discounted. So yeah, this definitely wasn't as important to me as her solo records, even though I like it a lot.
LittleLinda
Manager

Postby Benjamin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:52 am

Sad that they didn't release at least one more video :( The video for 'APESHIT' was so epic.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Guru » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:19 am

Benjamin wrote:Sad that they didn't release at least one more video :( The video for 'APESHIT' was so epic.
They probably blew the budget just on that one video. But it was a damn good budget to blow.
Guru
Guru

Postby Loveguru » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:07 pm

TBH

Fan base times 2 can work if done right.

Beyonce and Riri album right now will SMASSSSSH. for example
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby BeeBoy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:12 pm

Loveguru wrote:TBH

I think in order for it to work the fanbases need to be similar and both participants need to come from the same genre. That's why they would smash and we can finally see why they named it R&B :cry:
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby Guru » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Loveguru wrote:TBH

I just had an idea for DC3. What if it was a triple disc!
- Kelly x Beyoncé, some Kelly solo and some duets
- Michelle x Beyoncé, some Michelle solo and some duets
- DC3

It will kinda like promote the other 2 ladies as well :P
Guru
Guru

Postby menime123 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Like Bey would let them have solos :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Marchum » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:08 am

This is my favorite “Beyonce” record :oops:
Marchum
Manager

Postby Rocksteady09 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:03 pm

menime123 wrote:Like Bey would let them have solos :lol:
Well they've had solo album releases.
Rocksteady09
Manager

Postby Guru » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:53 pm

Rocksteady09 wrote:
menime123 wrote:Like Bey would let them have solos :lol:
Well they've had solo album releases.
Bad Habit on Destiny Fulfilled was by Kelly Rowland :P
Guru
Guru

Postby Hugo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 pm

The 50 Best Albums Of 2018

36. The Carters, Everything Is Love

Jay-Z and Beyonce as The Carters presented their surprise album Everything Is Love as the ultimate ode to Black love and partnership. It’s not rare to hear Jigga rap about Black Excellence and championing the idea of keeping money within the community, and on Everything Is Love, Jay takes Bey along for the ride as she offers her impeccable Houston swagger and vocals echoing those same sentiments.

Everything is put on the table as they not only address personal struggles on the album — and that infamous elevator incident — they sing and rap about how they got through the good times and bad. “Summer” is the album’s jazzy, smooth introductory track heralding the notion of affection and appreciation between the married couple. The album’s lead single, “Apesh*t,” is quite the opposite — a hard-hitting, boastful trap song featuring recognizable inflections and ad-libs from Migos’ Quavo, who happened to help to write the Mike Will Made-It-produced song. As a couple, they initiate the “Apesh*t” with demands of getting their respect. Jay himself commands to be paid in equity for his art and brags about denying requests to perform at the Super Bowl. Everything Is Love‘s other tracks such as “Boss,” “713,” and “Friends,” continue to tell The Carters’ story as they want to tell it — through great production and catchy hooks. This is what love and war sounds like.–C.J.

https://uproxx.com/music/best-albums-of-2018-ranked/2/
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Best Of 2018: Albums

2. Everything is Love – The Carters
The follow-up to Beyoncé’s masterful Lemonade and Jay-Z’s vulnerable 4:44, Everything Is Love brings closure to the couple’s infidelity drama and features the duo back on top of the world. Acknowledging and accepting the mistakes of the past, Mr. and Mrs. Carter use their music to discuss their reforged love, display their wealth, and highlight racial injustices. This project’s striking visual component, a music video accompanying the track “Apeshit,” juxtaposes their modern wealth and black pride with the colonial opulence of the Louvre, allowing them to shine a spotlight on the historical mistreatment of Africans in western art. Acknowledging this terrible truth and broadcasting their success in spite of it, the Carters point out that love was strong enough to fix their marriage, so perhaps love can become strong enough to fix everything else. – Thomas Scanlon

https://georgetownvoice.com/2018/12/07/ ... 18-albums/
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:56 pm

The 100 Best Songs of 2018

64. APESHIT

Beyoncé can rap. Over the course of her 20-year career, she’d tease us with a few bars here and there, but her skills seemed like a hidden talent, one only top-tier members of the Beyhive were attuned to. The secret is out on her joint album with husband Jay Z, Everything Is Love. On “APESHIT,” The Carters are proving they are not only adept at making timeless music, but can ride the trends as well as rap’s rookies. Co-written by Migos, Bey and Jay adopt triplet flows and shout random ad-libs like “Vitamin D!,” If Everything Is Love is a successor Watch the Throne, “APESHIT” is the new “**** in Paris.” —Kristin Corry

https://noisey.vice.com/en_ca/article/q ... gs-of-2018
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Best Unexpected Collaborations of 2018 (Staff Picks)

"SUMMER" — THE CARTERS (Beyoncé & JAY-Z)

Looking back on the past year, the words “unexpected” and “collab” simply can’t be mentioned in the same sentence without considering the surprise album EVERYTHING IS LOVE by Beyoncé and JAY-Z. “APESHIT” certainly made the biggest splash with its unrestrained energy and Migos ad-libs, but the regal, lofty ambiance of “SUMMER” might still be even more enjoyable. As the lush instrumental slowly rolls out the red carpet, Beyoncé strolls into the scene with grandeur before Hov follows suit, presenting the most powerful couple in hip-hop in full glory. —Kenan Draughorne

https://djbooth.net/features/2018-12-07 ... tions-2018
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:58 pm

Best Music Videos of 2018 (Staff Picks)

“APESHIT” — THE CARTERS (Beyoncé & JAY-Z)
Director: Ricky Saiz

Our resident prophet Vince Staples once asserted that the National Anthem doesn’t slap. In more subtle fashion, the Carters used “APESHIT” to question if the Mona Lisa really slaps. EVERYTHING IS LOVE is the culminating and extremely satisfying finale to Beyoncé and JAY-Z’s long artistic and personal journeys. But bigger than the album itself perhaps is the music video shot entirely in the Louvre, where the larger-than-life couple challenge European standards of beauty and manage to make the world’s most famous art museum more legitimate through their presence. Subversive and superb, “APESHIT” places the Carters in a larger conversation around Black culture’s relationship to Western standards—a conversation both artists have individually been ready to host for years, but collectively accomplish here. —Ben Taylor

https://djbooth.net/features/2018-12-05 ... ideos-2018
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:59 pm

PopBuzz Top 20 'Albums of the Year' 2018

15) The Carters - EVERYTHING IS LOVE
The Carters assert their dominance once more on EVERYTHING IS LOVE. Beyoncé shows off her immaculate flow on tracks like 'APESHIT' and 'FRIENDS', while Jay Z is suave and energetic across the album. Of course, "I ain't never seen a ceiling in my whole life, that's word to Blue" is the line of the album and, possibly, the century. - Nicky Idika

https://www.popbuzz.com/music/features/ ... year-2018/
Hugo
HAL 9000

Return to R&B & Urban