Mariah Carey - Caution

Moderators: urbanmusik, Benjamin

Postby Guru » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:07 pm

WTF! Emancipation only got a Metacritic score of 64!
This album is her highest, currently at 85!!!
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Gravity » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:24 pm

RayRay wrote:But maybe you weren't following her then. She put a lot of work in it. And I love the vocals. It reminds everytime again of what she can do with her voice.
I've been a fan of her since I was 12. :lol: Which made MIAM...TEC even less satisfiying. She's so much more than copy+paste vocals.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby RayRay » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:34 pm

Gravity wrote:
RayRay wrote:But maybe you weren't following her then. She put a lot of work in it. And I love the vocals. It reminds everytime again of what she can do with her voice.
I've been a fan of her since I was 12. :lol: Which made MIAM...TEC even less satisfiying. She's so much more than copy+paste vocals.
It's all a matter of taste. I've been a fan since 1990 and love strong melodies and real instruments.
RayRay
Legend

Postby RayRay » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:35 pm

So happy to see that Caution is one of the most streamed songs of the album.
Hoping it will be her next single. :D
RayRay
Legend

Postby Gravity » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Runway should've been the first single, followed by Caution. :(
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby beredy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:19 pm

RayRay wrote:So happy to see that Caution is one of the most streamed songs of the album.
Hoping it will be her next single. :D
It's on a playlist, hence the bigger plays than other songs. Not comparable to other album only tracks.
beredy
Manager

Postby Benjamin » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:06 pm

This is quite a solid record. It has much potential. I just don't understand why she released 'GTFO' as promo and 'With You' as official first single. There's much better songs on the record.

I think she should release 'A No No' (Kim/Cardi mix) is springtime, followed by 'Giving Me Life' in the Summer.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Guru » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:39 pm

| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby GetBack » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:41 am

The first half of the album is stronger than the second half. "Runway" should have been on the standard edition to balance it all. Everything after "Giving Me Life" except for "Portrait" is so much weaker than the first six songs of the album.
GetBack
Legend

Postby DOSSOME » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:54 am

GetBack wrote:The first half of the album is stronger than the second half. "Runway" should have been on the standard edition to balance it all. Everything after "Giving Me Life" except for "Portrait" is so much weaker than the first six songs of the album.
We can't really be talking about "first half" "second half" for a 10 track cd that isn't even 40 minutes long :lol:
DOSSOME
Legend

Postby Marchum » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:56 am

I prefer the second half of the album.

Giving Me Life, One Mo Gen and 8th Grade are fantastic.
Marchum
Manager

Postby Guru » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:58 am

DOSSOME wrote:
GetBack wrote:The first half of the album is stronger than the second half. "Runway" should have been on the standard edition to balance it all. Everything after "Giving Me Life" except for "Portrait" is so much weaker than the first six songs of the album.
We can't really be talking about "first half" "second half" for a 10 track cd that isn't even 40 minutes long :lol:
:lol:
I actually think the second half is stronger though :oops:
Guru
Guru

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:42 am

Michiel wrote:
Gravity wrote:
biscuits wrote:When MIAMTEC came out, I loved it so much and ranked it as my third favourite. But I’m not sure I feel that way now, so I’ll hold off ranking Caution for now
Caution made me realize how much I dislike MIAMTEC :lol:
So true :lol:. I loved MIAMTEC in the beginning, but I really started to dislike it not so long thereafter. Some uninspired songs, too much Siri, no concept and most importantly the lyrics are average at best. It is in my lower top 3 tier of her discography. Paradoxically the songs I use the most of it are you're mine and the art of letting go. #beautiful, Thirsty and Dedicated also get spins. Rest meh. Heavenly is everything she should not be doing.
I'm dead :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think MIAMTEC was cohesive (hell most of her albums are) but this album has her worst ballads ever. And the vocal editing is ass sauce.
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Eamon » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:28 am

The second half of the album is where it’s AT.

8th Grade and Giving Me Life are already career highlights. Runway would be completely jarring on the album so it’s best it was left off.
Eamon
Legend

Postby EAI » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:15 am

Album of the year. Not a single R&B album in 2018 could top this.
F*ck off and lose my number.
EAI
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:25 am

The second half is more meatier.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby beredy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:12 pm

I think I'm finally ready to rate the songs and the album (after 13 album spins).

01. GTFO Bulldozed my heart as if you planned it
A more than good opener. I only wish it had a bit of an intro, not much though - maybe 5 seconds of an easier start to the song just not to start off the album a bit abruptly like it does. Overall it's a nice smooth, slick R'n'B song that represents the "sound" of the album.
Rating: 8/10

02. With You And we all make mistakes sometimes but we muddle through
For me this is the type of song I associate with Mariah Carey. One of those tunes that she could make while sleepwalking. It's not bad, but part of the reason I never got into Mariah was because songs like these just don't do it for me. I do respect a slight vocal restraint she's showing here as it makes the song a bit easier to listen for me. But definitely far from the album highlight and such a misleading song to pick for the first single. I also find it's such a missed opportunity not to reference or make a spiritual sequel to Without You.
Rating: 6/10

03. Caution If you wanna be more to me, you must proceed with caution
Caution wasn't a song that was an immediate favorite for me, but it did click with me after a couple of spins. I still don't find it to be among the strongest cuts of the album, but it's a good song that works well as an album (title) song.

04. A No No Off with your head, now slither out the door
I did like this one when it came out as a promo single, but it kind of doesn't work for me that well as an album track. I blame it on those high-hat sounding beats that sound out of place compared to the rest of the songs on the album. If those were a bit muddled and not that much in front it would be better IMHO - at least for the album flow as this one really kind of breaks it for me.
Rating: 7/10

05. The Distance But the hate only made us get closer and closer
I don't think it gets much better than this for R'n'B in 2018. Great song from start to finish. Should've been the first single as it's a great representation of the "sound" of the album, it's very pop and radio-friendly and effortlessly cool sounding.
Rating: 10/10

06. Giving Me Life Oh, my philosophy doesn't quite apply to you and me
Easily the album standout for me from the very first spin to every one that followed. This song is just in another league compared to rest of the songs. Amazing. And I just might check out Mariah's discography to search for another gem like this.
Rating: 10/10

07. One Mo' Gen Addicted to you, come support my habit
This is another one that got better and solidified itself as a good track after multiple listens. Although I do feel like the song came from just wanting to use the title phrase because "yeah yeah yeah yeah one mo' gen" isn't exactly inspired writing - but it ended up being good, so it really doesn't matter I guess.

08. 8th Grade I'm that security when you're insecure
Not too crazy about this one. It's OK. It fits with the album sound, but I can't seem to find anything about this one that would separate it from the other tracks and give it something unique.
Rating: 7/10

09. Stay Long Love You Do you mind if I try?
This one ended up as a sneak attack bop for me. I don't believe I even remotely payed attention to it in the first few listens, but it grew on me immensely and it's one of my favorite tracks now. It's probably the most fun track (along with The Distance) on the album and I'd love to see it get a single treatment.
Rating: 9/10

10. Portrait Look the other way as I bottle myself up inside
I'm baffled by how much support this track is getting. It's easily the worst track on the album for me. I appreciate the nice lyrics, but as a song this is just cringey and bad and a terrible album closer. The only complete whimper on an otherwise strong album.
Rating: 4/10

Album songs average: 7.7/10

Overall it's a strong cohesive album, with only odd songs being With You and Portrait (and A No No being slightly off for me due to production that partly doesn't follow the same setup as the remaining 7 songs).

Album overall impression: 8/10
beredy
Manager

Postby biscuits » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:21 pm

If you wanna hear more songs like Giving Me Life, I (and many lambs) recommend ‘The Roof’ if you haven’t heard it already
biscuits
The Diva

Postby JeremySpears » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:58 pm

If I had to rank all the songs from the album:

1. One Mo' Gen
2. Giving Me Life
3. Portrait
4. Caution
5. With You
6. GTFO
7. A No No
8. Stay Long Love You
9. The Distance
10. 8th Grade
Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Justin Timberlake
JeremySpears
Roadie

Postby Benjamin » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:13 pm

biscuits wrote:If you wanna hear more songs like Giving Me Life, I (and many lambs) recommend ‘The Roof’ if you haven’t heard it already
Spot on! This is exactly why I love 'Giving Me Life' so much. It reminds me of 'The Roof', one of my fave Mariah songs ever. :D
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Marchum » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:07 am

I love how Giving Me Life, One Mo Gen and 8th Grade getting so much love!!! <3
Marchum
Manager

Postby GetBack » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:35 am

"Stay Long Love You" is the "Boy (I Need You)" of this album. It sounded like it was meant to be released 15 years ago. It's one of the weakest songs she's done.
GetBack
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:00 am

Her third best album this decade after Charmbracelet and Memoirs (y'all will bulldoze me now, but I stand by my opinion :lol: )
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:03 am

ArmyOfMe wrote:Her third best album this decade after Charmbracelet and Memoirs (y'all will bulldoze me now, but I stand by my opinion :lol: )
Except they were not released this decade
biscuits
The Diva

Postby LongingHeart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:04 am

^^ but that was last decade
LongingHeart
Manager

Return to R&B & Urban