UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2018 (#44 - #41)

Moderators: urbanmusik, Benjamin

Postby abi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:55 am

Random fact, these are the albums that received the biggest accumulative points since I hosted this countdown in 2013.

1. Beyoncé - Lemonade (475)
2. Beyoncé - Beyoncé (472)
3. Rihanna - ANTI (388)
4. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience (328)
5. Solange - A Seat at the Table (320)
6. Mariah Carey - Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse (313)
7. Drake - Nothing Was The Same (285)
8. The Weeknd - Beauty Behind The Madness (278)
9. Tinashe - Aquarius (275)
10. Jessie Ware - Tough Love (259)
11. Ariana Grande - My Everything (247)
12. The Weeknd - Starboy (245)
13. SZA - CTRL (240)
14. Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show (238)
15. Chris Brown - X (236)
16. Ciara - Ciara (232)
17. Kendrick Lamar - DAMN (230)
18. Frank Ocean - Blonde (224)
19. Janelle Monae - The Electric Lady (218)
20. Janet Jackson - Unbreakable (217)

We almost had JT as the #1 in 2013 but then Beyonce came out and was like "nope". :lol: Also Jessie Ware & Jazmine Sullivan used to be very popular here! :o
abi
Legend

Postby Guru » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:39 am

abi wrote:
Loveguru wrote:When does this close
You already asked this on the first page. Jan 15.
:oops:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Gravity » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:25 am

Why was My Everything allowed in this :lol:
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby ludichris » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:36 am

I think only albums that have a topic in the R&B & Urban section should be eligible personally. I will send my top 10 today, it hasn't been a great year in terms of albums but I've enjoyed many individual songs.
ludichris
Manager

Postby Guru » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:00 am

ludichris wrote:I think only albums that have a topic in the R&B & Urban section should be eligible personally. I will send my top 10 today, it hasn't been a great year in terms of albums but I've enjoyed many individual songs.
I agree. There are singles that cross over but if the album thread is not in urban, we should not consider it. This is also good because then admin ensures that there is consensus where a cross border album belongs.

Gravity wrote:Why was My Everything allowed in this :lol:
Agree. There was nothing urban about the singles. Damn good pop and dance singles but not even close to urban.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby abi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:59 pm

Guru wrote:
ludichris wrote:I think only albums that have a topic in the R&B & Urban section should be eligible personally. I will send my top 10 today, it hasn't been a great year in terms of albums but I've enjoyed many individual songs.
I agree. There are singles that cross over but if the album thread is not in urban, we should not consider it.
At the end of the day, it's up to y'all whether to vote for those album or not. Keep in mind that all the threads are made by UKMIXers, not some musical experts. And most of the time these threads are made prior to the album release so we have no idea which genre the album would fit the best, we just place the thread where we would think the album would sound like - and sometimes it's not always correct; i.e. Christina Aguilera's Liberation & Back to Basics and Jessie J's R.O.S.E. in Pure Pop (even Beyonce's Self-Titled was initially placed in Pure Pop as well), while we have a bunch of albums from The Pussycat Dolls, Rihanna (prior to Talk That Talk) in Urban/R&B when in reality they're not even that R&B to begin with (notable mentions: Katy Perry's "Dark Horse" in Urban/R&B like ewww & I Am... Sasha Fierce). Not even Billboard is always correct when it comes to placing songs & albums, let alone UKMIXers - come on now. :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Oh and...

Gravity wrote:Why was My Everything allowed in this :lol:
My Everything was in fact placed in Urban/R&B. :lol: Yes, the singles were Pop but as you know with Ariana, her R&B tracks always stay as the album tracks. Always happens everytime aside from her debut.
abi
Legend

Postby Gravity » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:22 pm

She does have some R&B-ish album tracks usually but My Everything is pure pop through & through, IMO. Plus being a pop star gives her an unfair advantage over certain acts.

At least Sweetener deserves to compete in this, out of all these albums allowed this time around, I don't see any offenders. :lol:
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby abi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:44 pm

Idk I would put My Everything under the same category as I Am... Sasha Fierce or Unapologetic. It's legit 50% Pop 50% R&B so it could go either way for me. Anyway, list of voters updated on the first page. I'm currently counting the votes and let me just say, some of the results are quite... interesting.
abi
Legend

Postby Loose » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:54 pm

abi wrote:I'm currently counting the votes and let me just say, some of the results are quite... interesting.
I do hope so. If The Carters win, I just can't.
It's handled. | My last.fm
Loose
Legend

Postby Guru » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:40 am

Loose wrote:
abi wrote:I'm currently counting the votes and let me just say, some of the results are quite... interesting.
I do hope so. If The Carters win, I just can't.
I’m with ya. Please Lord no :lol:
Guru
Guru

Postby ludichris » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:04 am

It will clearly be Mariah Carey. I gave her a lower vote due to liking a few songs on the album but her lyrics seem to be getting more immature with age. She's cursing more now that's for sure.
ludichris
Manager

Postby Gravity » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:46 am

I don't think The Carters or Mariah will be #1 this year...it will be someone unexpected.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby bluecherry » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Gravity wrote:I don't think The Carters or Mariah will be #1 this year...it will be someone unexpected.
Janelle deserves.
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Kween is the only deserving winner
SawyerHewitt wrote:The raw emotion Kween conveys when belting out WBT's climax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A MOMENT IN MUSIC HISTORY.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Guru » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:58 pm

abi. Give us some tips. Who’s charting lower and who’s charting higher. No need to mention position but just who is unexpected doing better or worse.
Guru
Guru

Postby abi » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:14 am

Guru wrote:abi. Give us some tips. Who’s charting lower and who’s charting higher. No need to mention position but just who is unexpected doing better or worse.
Hmmm let me just say that, if you take a look at some of those names in first post of this page (albums with the biggest points), some of them are doing really really good and some of them are doing AWFUL this time.
abi
Legend

Postby Guru » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:30 am

Abi, once voting closes, when do you think we will start revealing the charts? Can we complete the countdown by end Jan?
Guru
Guru

Postby abi » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:38 am

Guru wrote:Abi, once voting closes, when do you think we will start revealing the charts? Can we complete the countdown by end Jan?
Why? Are you leaving UKMIX?

I'm planning to follow last year's timeline:
- January 15: Voting closes
- January 16: The countdown starts
- Mid-February: Enters the top 10
- Early March: Reveals the winner

I mean, I could make the process shorter but I'm not sure if it's gonna be too much but let's see.
abi
Legend

Postby Guru » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:19 am

abi wrote:
Guru wrote:Abi, once voting closes, when do you think we will start revealing the charts? Can we complete the countdown by end Jan?
Why? Are you leaving UKMIX?

I'm planning to follow last year's timeline:
- January 15: Voting closes
- January 16: The countdown starts
- Mid-February: Enters the top 10
- Early March: Reveals the winner

I mean, I could make the process shorter but I'm not sure if it's gonna be too much but let's see.
No :lol:
Just that it feels like half the year has past by before we reveal the winner :lol:
But I also understand the banners and pics can take time.
Guru
Guru

Postby abi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:05 am

^Mmmkay I'll make them faster. :lol:

Also, I noticed that there's one particular album that's doing fairly well so far - it received so many votes. I thought people hated the album, well apparently not.
abi
Legend

Postby Guru » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:47 am

We listening boo :oops:

Guru
Guru

Postby BeeBoy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:39 pm

abi wrote:^Mmmkay I'll make them faster. :lol:

Also, I noticed that there's one particular album that's doing fairly well so far - it received so many votes. I thought people hated the album, well apparently not.
I think it's Post :lol:
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Ewww :lol:
SawyerHewitt wrote:The raw emotion Kween conveys when belting out WBT's climax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A MOMENT IN MUSIC HISTORY.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:51 pm

I might vote for this though i'm not sure i've listened enough albums to have an opinion :lol:
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Return to R&B & Urban