Jojo - Jojo/The High Road (2018)

Moderators: urbanmusik, Benjamin

 

Postby LongingHeart » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:42 am

Songs like Sunshine sound even better now!
User avatar
LongingHeart
Manager
 
Posts: 3813
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013
Location: Germany

Postby Jesper » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:51 am

it´s weird, I have been listening to these songs for years, but the 2018 versions feel like I just got 2 new albums and 2 new songs
User avatar
Jesper
Legend
 
Posts: 24851
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009
Location: The Netherlands

Postby abi » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:46 am

OUT ON SPOTIFY NOW!
User avatar
abi
Legend
 
Posts: 33583
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007
Location: Planet Earth

Postby UKMusicLova » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:11 pm

I love her so much more after this. She is a damn queen, and this is the ultimate middle finger to her last record label.
Her mature voice sounds so good on these classics.

Can you believe in 2018 she went on an unreleased gems tour (which I wish came to the UK) and re-recorded and released her first two albums?! WE LIVE FOR A LEGEND
User avatar
UKMusicLova
Legend
 
Posts: 30661
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006
Location: On a Cosmic journey

Postby Jesper » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:16 pm

UKMusicLova wrote:I love her so much more after this. She is a damn queen, and this is the ultimate middle finger to her last record label.
Her mature voice sounds so good on these classics.

Can you believe in 2018 she went on an unreleased gems tour (which I wish came to the UK) and re-recorded and released her first two albums?! WE LIVE FOR A LEGEND
She is really one of the most genuine people in the business. She is in it for her passion in music and also listens to the fans and is a sweetheart. A bit middlefinger to the last record label but also a perfect gift for everyone who supported her throughout the years.


Ugh I am spamming this thread, but I am feeling the young kid today that watched Leave and baby It's You on TV, it's like a full circle moment I didn't knew I needed but always wanted :cry: :lol: I am ready to see what the next chapter is for JoJo now that she has her past material back into her own hands 8-)
User avatar
Jesper
Legend
 
Posts: 24851
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009
Location: The Netherlands

Postby MusicJunk90 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Prior to this release, were the albums NEVER on streaming platforms? I've had them on Apple Music but maybe that was my own individual download and not from the Apple Music streaming service. Or have Blackground just decided to remove them?

Either way, that label is a mess! They need the money, so makes no sense why they wouldn't want her music on streaming. She does have a fanbase afterall.

It's cool she did this from a business perspective, and she owns the rights to them, BG must be seething! TLC did the same thing a while back with re-recording their albums and now owning the rights to them.

Her voice isn't as crisp as it was a couple years back but I love hearing these new vocals. I always wanted "Never Say Goodbye" studio in her "adult voice" tbh. A shame she didn't re-do "Back & Forth" as that is my JAMMMMM...but I guess cause it's a bonus track.

Bravo JoJo!
MusicJunk90
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014

Postby UKMusicLova » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:31 pm

^^ I think they removed the albums from streaming services and digital outlets after she sued them.
User avatar
UKMusicLova
Legend
 
Posts: 30661
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006
Location: On a Cosmic journey

Postby abi » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:41 pm

US iTunes
25. Jojo (2018)
31. The High Road (2018)

LET'S GO!
User avatar
abi
Legend
 
Posts: 33583
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007
Location: Planet Earth

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:48 pm

This is such a bad bitch move.

I can't even process it.

Seeing her struggle after all these years and now to see her pretty much get a full restart and vindicated is amazing :cry:

I haven't even listened yet and I can't get over it. Gonna play her all day today :cool:
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
User avatar
ThaInfo1
Legend
 
Posts: 22495
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006
Location: Wherever your fine daddy is at.

Postby Jesper » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:23 pm

A slay
Image
User avatar
Jesper
Legend
 
Posts: 24851
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:24 pm



Controlfreak
Manager
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012

Postby Loose » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:26 pm

I’ve been listening to these records all day long! What an amazing christmas gift. :D

The new version of Demonstrate isn’t as great and moody as the original was though.
It's handled. | My last.fm
User avatar
Loose
Legend
 
Posts: 12080
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby Benjamin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:04 pm

I respect her so much for doing this. She's been through hell and back with her record label. Her career was basically put on hold for years, poor girl. So happy for her.

'Anything' <3 <3
User avatar
Benjamin
Kid At Heart
 
Posts: 61674
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005
Location: The Netherlands

Postby tyguy723 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:24 pm

I would kill for a physical release of all of them in some type of limited edition 4 pack case
User avatar
tyguy723
Manager
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015
Location: Michigan

Postby HotPotato » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:40 pm

This is such a B0$$ move I love it.

F**k Ablackgroundgies.
This ain't gon be easy
User avatar
HotPotato
Manager
 
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013

Postby abi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:11 am

#11 & #20 US iTunes let's go!

I'm surprised Jojo is higher than The High Road though.
User avatar
abi
Legend
 
Posts: 33583
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007
Location: Planet Earth

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:41 am

abi wrote:#11 & #20 US iTunes let's go!

I'm surprised Jojo is higher than The High Road though.
I'm not, she was more known for "Get Out" so it makes a tad bit of sense to me.

I'm enjoying JoJo a lot more than The High Road. It's better produced (and tbh...I didn't listen to her first album like that...couldn't take her teen voice after being so hooked on her more developed voice around a few years later). These mature vocals on some of these songs are giving them another life.

A small complaint would be some of the replicated productions being a bit cheap, but she probably funded this out of her own pocket so I won't count that against her at all.
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
User avatar
ThaInfo1
Legend
 
Posts: 22495
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006
Location: Wherever your fine daddy is at.

Postby abi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:53 am

ThaInfo1 wrote:
abi wrote:#11 & #20 US iTunes let's go!

I'm surprised Jojo is higher than The High Road though.
I'm not, she was more known for "Get Out" so it makes a tad bit of sense to me.

I'm enjoying JoJo a lot more than The High Road. It's better produced (and tbh...I didn't listen to her first album like that...couldn't take her teen voice after being so hooked on her more developed voice around a few years later). These mature vocals on some of these songs are giving them another life.

A small complaint would be some of the replicated productions being a bit cheap, but she probably funded this out of her own pocket so I won't count that against her at all.
Ah okay, I was always under the impression that her second album era was bigger.

And most definitely agree with you with the production. The mixing sounds very cheap and kinda gritty but yeah it's okay, we understand her situation.

I've never heard her first album either so it kinda surprised me how versatile the album is. This was such a very grown album for a 14-year old (?) girl to record at that time though!
User avatar
abi
Legend
 
Posts: 33583
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007
Location: Planet Earth

Postby abi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:22 am

"Leave (Get Out)" enters the top 100 on iTunes y'all! :cry:

A bit sad that she's so under the radar these past few years that people are starting to forget about her. If more celebrities tweeted about this, more and more people would look up, so far Ella Mai is the only one. But anyway, I'm really rooting for her to win in 2019. She's been through a lot!
User avatar
abi
Legend
 
Posts: 33583
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007
Location: Planet Earth

Postby ludichris » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:14 am

Self Titled is sounding better than The High Road and a lot better than I remembered! I would take this new version over her last album actually. Sunshine :cry: 8-)
User avatar
ludichris
Manager
 
Posts: 4827
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010
Location: London

Postby Loose » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:36 am

The High Road is miles better for me as there is some coherence. The debut feels more like a surprise bag of either really dull or really funky songs.
It's handled. | My last.fm
User avatar
Loose
Legend
 
Posts: 12080
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby Jesper » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:03 am

abi wrote:"Leave (Get Out)" enters the top 100 on iTunes y'all! :cry:

A bit sad that she's so under the radar these past few years that people are starting to forget about her. If more celebrities tweeted about this, more and more people would look up, so far Ella Mai is the only one. But anyway, I'm really rooting for her to win in 2019. She's been through a lot!
Meghan Trainor talked about it on instagram stories iirc
User avatar
Jesper
Legend
 
Posts: 24851
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Jesper » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:05 am

I am hooked on both albums, her debut sounds way better with the grown vocals and i also enjoy The High Road grown, i don't mind the sometimes a little more cheapish production, it fits well with the nostalgia vibe.
User avatar
Jesper
Legend
 
Posts: 24851
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Gravity » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:40 am

abi wrote:I've never heard her first album either so it kinda surprised me how versatile the album is. This was such a very grown album for a 14-year old (?) girl to record at that time though!
I think she was 12 when some of these songs were recorded. There were some Disney-like moments on it but yeah, overall it was very mature and versatile.

I agree that re-recorded version of her debut is better than The High Road. The one that disappointed me a bit is the new version of Demonstrate. What happened to her voice? :-?

But I'm just so happy she finally has the control over that earlier part of her career. Now we just need Jumping Trains :lol:
Floped and localed
User avatar
Gravity
R&B Junkie
 
Posts: 11267
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016
Location: Luxurious Undergrind

Postby MusicJunk90 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:05 am

So glad her best album, self titled, is getting the love it deserves. Such a GROWN album. R&B done well which works so well in her adult voice. The production does sound very raw but it works well...they definitely didn’t do a lot of takes and cleaning up on her vocals... They almost sound like live recordings which I really like as the main attraction for me is her voice. I’ve had Never Say Goodbye on repeat all weekend.
MusicJunk90
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 828
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014

Return to R&B & Urban