Jojo - Jojo/The High Road (2018)

Moderators: urbanmusik, Benjamin

Postby Loose » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:05 pm

MusicJunk90 wrote:So glad her best album, self titled, is getting the love it deserves. Such a GROWN album. R&B done well which works so well in her adult voice. The production does sound very raw but it works well...they definitely didn’t do a lot of takes and cleaning up on her vocals... They almost sound like live recordings which I really like as the main attraction for me is her voice. I’ve had Never Say Goodbye on repeat all weekend.
It’s rather youthful than grown in my opinion.

Still very teenage-y lyrically as well as sonically.
It's handled. | My last.fm
Loose
Legend

Postby LJC123 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:22 pm

A nice gesture. But I prefer the originals :cry:
LJC--->>
LJC123
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:51 pm

LJC123 wrote:A nice gesture. But I prefer the originals :cry:
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Guru » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:49 am

I prefer the authenticity of the originals. This reminds of TLC on their last album where they resung their classics.
But the originals are available on my iTunes since forever.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Guru » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:36 am

So what’s the deal with her re-recording her songs?
She sounds quite nasalized.
Interesting to hear these songs rerecorded and the originals.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Gravity » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:44 am

Guru wrote:She sounds quite nasalized.
I noticed that too.

I miss her vouce circa Demonstrate. It was heavenly :cry:
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Jesper » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:21 am

Guru wrote:So what’s the deal with her re-recording her songs?
This way she has her old material back into her own hands
Jesper
Legend

Postby Golowhore » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Guru wrote:So what’s the deal with her re-recording her songs?
Gravity wrote:
Guru wrote:She sounds quite nasalized.
I noticed that too.

I miss her vouce circa Demonstrate. It was heavenly :cry:
She has had major problems with sinuses and allergies and (based on her IG and the earlier tour) she seemed to be sick for about 90% of this year. Some of these recordings are fine, while some sound like she's on the verge of being hospitalized.

As far as studio recordings, Mad Love was her best vocal era by far. So hopefully she'll sound like that on her next album.
JoJo
Golowhore
Groupie

Postby Guru » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:09 am

The tracks This Time opens up like she used a Nokia 3310 to match the beat.
Guru
Guru

Postby mattsky » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:27 am

This Time is a bop!
Haven't been early since '88
mattsky
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:26 am

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
GetBack
Legend

Postby Jesper » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:33 am

The good sis came a long way since
Jesper
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Guru wrote:The tracks This Time opens up like she used a Nokia 3310 to match the beat.
:lol: I can't deal with the productions on This Time, The High Road, Like That (which makes me a little sad since this is one one of my favs...but her voice had grown a lot from her first to second album, so I can still play the original version and get my life).

They did a way better job production wise on the JoJo album. Much better. Maybe the productions were easier to replicate than the High Road. Man I been playing it like it's a new album. She sounds so good singing this first album with that grown voice.

Not That Kinda Girl and The Happy Song >>>>>>>>>
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Guru » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:40 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:
Guru wrote:The tracks This Time opens up like she used a Nokia 3310 to match the beat.
:lol: I can't deal with the productions on This Time, The High Road, Like That (which makes me a little sad since this is one one of my favs...but her voice had grown a lot from her first to second album, so I can still play the original version and get my life).

They did a way better job production wise on the JoJo album. Much better. Maybe the productions were easier to replicate than the High Road. Man I been playing it like it's a new album. She sounds so good singing this first album with that grown voice.

Not That Kinda Girl and The Happy Song >>>>>>>>>
On THR, sounds like a Casio keyboard was used :lol:
These albums fill a void but I have the physicals, the original iTunes releases and they are far superior than the inferior 2018 remakes.

Between her first and second album, her voice had 3 years to mature. And today it’s at a different level.

PS I’m listening to This Time both at the same time. No comparison. I’d feel sorry for fans who she attracts but don’t know her back catalogue but will listen to the flat versions from 201&.
Guru
Guru

Postby ludichris » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:15 pm

So true. :lol:

I see she must have hired a producer/producers to remake the instrumentals but I don't get why she couldn't just contact the original producers and get them to send the tracks. It must have been cheaper to reproduce them. Self Titled definitely sounds better to me, I'm playing it a lot more than THR. I mean Sunshine alone.....My God. :D
ludichris
Manager

Postby Gravity » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:38 pm

The self-titled is deff superior. I mean Breezy alone...chile.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Guru » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:56 pm

ludichris wrote:

I see she must have hired a producer/producers to remake the instrumentals but I don't get why she couldn't just contact the original producers and get them to send the tracks. It must have been cheaper to reproduce them. Self Titled definitely sounds better to me, I'm playing it a lot more than THR. I mean Sunshine alone.....My God. :D
In fact, she should have first had a live acoustic set of both albums. Touched it up in the studio. Release both albums as a double album. Then also release a Blu Ray and/or digital HD with her live acoustic performance, perhaps a week after the album release. Then maybe think about introducing these 2 remakes about 2 months down the line (surprise release). And that should be enough to wet appetites till a new album at the end of the year. She needs to duet with Chris Brown though.
Guru
Guru

Postby tyguy723 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:17 pm

Jesper wrote:The good sis came a long way since
I remember this omg :oops: She won thankfully 8-)
tyguy723
Manager

Postby Golowhore » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:01 pm

Guru wrote:
ludichris wrote:

In fact, she should have first had a live acoustic set of both albums. Touched it up in the studio. Release both albums as a double album. Then also release a Blu Ray and/or digital HD with her live acoustic performance, perhaps a week after the album release. Then maybe think about introducing these 2 remakes about 2 months down the line (surprise release). And that should be enough to wet appetites till a new album at the end of the year. She needs to duet with Chris Brown though.
Why Chris Brown? She would completely overpower him. I would have said that I'd love to see her with someone like Gallant. But that happened and Gallant completely embarrassed himself.

Personally, I really(!!) like the new Like That and I don't mind The High Road as it's a bit more stripped. I think the second half of the album is largely fine, but This Time and The Way You Do Me (one of my favs :() in particular just miss. The Way You Do Me is horrific - she also sounds most sick there.
JoJo
Golowhore
Groupie

Postby Golowhore » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:10 pm

ludichris wrote:

It's been 12 and 14 years. It's fair to assume that not even a trace of those tracks exist lol. And the likes of Scott Storch, Ryan Leslie and Swizz Beatz (whew, they really assembled a mid-2000s dream team for THR) owe her nothing and are not going to give her their time for cheap. I'm sure the vast majority of her budget is going towards the new album.

I just wish she had found a more ambitious producer. Ah well, JoJo needed the update far more than THR and JoJo sounds great.
JoJo
Golowhore
Groupie

Postby jpguy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:54 am

She's always going to be one.my most respected singers of.all time.
I love her endlessly! I REALLY do
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Guru » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:08 am

PS I’ll never understand this Barry Hankerson guy! He holds the vault to an enormous collection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackground_Records
Guru
Guru

Postby Guru » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:13 am

Golowhore wrote:
ludichris wrote:

It's been 12 and 14 years. It's fair to assume that not even a trace of those tracks exist lol. And the likes of Scott Storch, Ryan Leslie and Swizz Beatz (whew, they really assembled a mid-2000s dream team for THR) owe her nothing and are not going to give her their time for cheap. I'm sure the vast majority of her budget is going towards the new album.

I just wish she had found a more ambitious producer. Ah well, JoJo needed the update far more than THR and JoJo sounds great.
MJ has archives from 1979. His last 2014 studio album had outtakes from the 80s. So take your assumption of 12 - 14yrs :lol:
If I were any those men, I’d think of the royalties I’d continue to receive. And what work is there to do? They literally need to enter the vault and give her the instumentals (if they want to charge more for re-recording). She could then re-record in her home for all I care. Revised vocals but classic beat!!!
Guru
Guru

Postby GetBack » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:31 pm

She seems to have some nasal congestion in a lot of the songs. She sounds like she's not comfortable.

Also, the production in some songs are so terrible! Some of the songs sound like it was from a poorly mixed demo. :-? :-?

She should have just picked some songs from both albums, some of the old songs (filler) didn't need to be re-recorded.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Jesper » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:38 pm

GetBack wrote:She seems to have some nasal congestion in a lot of the songs. She sounds like she's not comfortable.

Also, the production in some songs are so terrible! Some of the songs sound like it was from a poorly mixed demo. :-? :-?

She should have just picked some songs from both albums, some of the old songs (filler) didn't need to be re-recorded.
She was sick during the recording of some songs, so the comfortable thing is crap
And you don't have to listen to it all, just a suggestion, maybe just delete what you don't like, while others can enjoy it all, problem solved :D
Jesper
Legend

Return to R&B & Urban