Jojo - Jojo/The High Road (2018)

Moderators: urbanmusik, Benjamin

Postby Gravity » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:03 pm

Guru wrote:MJ has archives from 1979. His last 2014 studio album had outtakes from the 80s. So take your assumption of 12 - 14yrs :lol:
You're comparing MJ's archives to those of poor JoJo :lol:
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby abi » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Jojo has been struggling for years, label issues, no major record label backing her up, not rich enough to afford big name producers & songwriters, etc.

LEAVE HER ALONE Y'ALL and let us enjoy these Soundcloud-audio quality bops. :cry:
abi
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:39 pm

abi wrote:Jojo has been struggling for years, label issues, no major record label backing her up, not rich enough to afford big name producers & songwriters, etc.

LEAVE HER ALONE Y'ALL and let us enjoy these Soundcloud-audio quality bops. :cry:
!!!

At the end of the day, I would rather more quality effort to go towards her next album than her using all her resources for this. Cheap productions or not, this was still an awesome and a boss bitch move after all she’s been through with Blackground.

The redo of her first album feels like a brand new album to me.
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Gravity » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:49 pm

She probably used all the money she earned on Mad Love Tour on this. I was always wondering how she was keeping herself afloat all these years.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Jesper » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:06 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:
abi wrote:Jojo has been struggling for years, label issues, no major record label backing her up, not rich enough to afford big name producers & songwriters, etc.

!!!

At the end of the day, I would rather more quality effort to go towards her next album than her using all her resources for this. Cheap productions or not, this was still an awesome and a boss bitch move after all she’s been through with Blackground.

Jesper
Legend

Postby Guru » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:45 pm

As much as I am complaining, I also think that the idiot Barry Hankerson probably won’t allow her access to the original intrumentals.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby GetBack » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Guru wrote:As much as I am complaining, I also think that the idiot Barry Hankerson probably won’t allow her access to the original intrumentals.
In the first place, there was no need for her to re-record all of this. It only makes her look even more frustrated with her success back in the day. A live album (where she is in perfect condition) would have been a better release.

Anyway, since it's a treat for the "fans of her old albums", people will obviously compare and pit this with the original versions. It's normal for people to react and become critical of her abilities since JoJo is (or was?) a prime vocalist herself, sick or not, this career move put herself in a position for her current vocals to get compared to her young girl vocals.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Jesper » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:23 pm

GetBack wrote:
Guru wrote:As much as I am complaining, I also think that the idiot Barry Hankerson probably won’t allow her access to the original intrumentals.
In the first place, there was no need for her to re-record all of this. It only makes her look even more frustrated with her success back in the day. A live album (where she is in perfect condition) would have been a better release.

Anyway, since it's a treat for the "fans of her old albums", people will obviously compare and pit this with the original versions. It's normal for people to react and become critical of her abilities since JoJo is (or was?) a prime vocalist herself, sick or not, this career move herself in a position for her current vocals to get compared to her young girl vocals.
Again, comparing is one thing, but this is the 2nd time you say there was no need for her to do this. But there was. This way she has all songs back into her own hands, whether you like it or not, but this is a great move for the rest of her career. You are literally the only person, and sound somewhat bitter at that as well, that calls her ´frustrated´, various outlets, celebs and fans online have been raving about this.

I personally enjoy the rerecording of her debut is better for me for the most part than the original recordings. And the fans of the original albums most likely have the original physical CD copies, so people can listen to whatever they like.
Jesper
Legend

Postby jpguy » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:07 pm

Frustrates ? My #ss ... She did the right thing for the love.of her own art.
She's definitely.put most of her pocket money on this , I will give it some spins. She deserves praise and respect and not some shady comment online. Lol
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:39 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:

!!!

Exactly!!

If you're complaining about the production/mixing, or whatever, then you really don't understand the reason she did this. Two albums, that are the foundations of her career, were not available on streaming or digital sites - meaning fans could not listen to them and new fans may not even have known they existed. If you don't get it, then we can't save you sorry xoxo

UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Guru » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:41 am

Gravity wrote:
Guru wrote:MJ has archives from 1979. His last 2014 studio album had outtakes from the 80s. So take your assumption of 12 - 14yrs :lol:
You're comparing MJ's archives to those of poor JoJo :lol:
Now sis. We are talking 2006 vs 1979 :lol:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Guru » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:44 am

UKMusicLova wrote:
ThaInfo1 wrote:

!!!

Exactly!!

If you're complaining about the production/mixing, or whatever, then you really don't understand the reason she did this. Two albums, that are the foundations of her career, were not available on streaming or digital sites - meaning fans could not listen to them and new fans may not even have known they existed. If you don't get it, then we can't save you sorry xoxo

We don’t mind new vocals but why not use the original instrumentals? It just cheapens the whole experience. She should have rather given an acoustic set then and there would be no comparisons of live versus studio? :-?
Guru
Guru

Postby Jesper » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:11 pm

Guru wrote:
We don’t mind new vocals but why not use the original instrumentals? It just cheapens the whole experience. She should have rather given an acoustic set then and there would be no comparisons of live versus studio? :-?
Because she doesn't have the rights to the original compositions, that is the whole reason why she is 'covering' her own material. And she wanted to give the songs as true to the originals, because fans have been asking her for it for years now and she also felty like it was a cathartic experience for her. The only thing she changed are a few lyrics like in Breezy, since she had those lyrics laying around back then, but they weren't appopriate for a teen and some adlibs.
Comparisons always would have come, and there is nothing wrong with comparing tbh. I mean nobody is forcing anyone to use these new versions, but it is a way for her to have her back catalogue back into her own hands, give the fans a way to stream those songs in a form as close to the originals as possible. I mean other people would have complained about why she sould have recorded acoustic versions or an acoustic set aswell. She would have never been able to please everybody.

This is the way she decided to do it, take it or leave it 8-)
Jesper
Legend

Postby Guru » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:18 pm

I have the original. On both iTunes and physical. So I’ll leave it :lol:
Guru
Guru

Postby ludichris » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:41 pm

Listening back to some of these "old" songs and quite a few of them had potential. I wonder if things would have been different if Coming For You was the follow up to TLTL. Why wasn't it the single? It's (still)a smash!
ludichris
Manager

Postby tyguy723 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:39 pm

ludichris wrote:Listening back to some of these "old" songs and quite a few of them had potential. I wonder if things would have been different if Coming For You was the follow up to TLTL. Why wasn't it the single? It's (still)a smash!
It should have honestly CFY is still one of my all time favs from her
tyguy723
Manager

Postby UKMusicLova » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:49 pm

I think 'Anything' was a really strong single choice, I mean it got to #21 in the UK without a video or any real promo. It could have really smashed if they pushed it.
But certainly, 'Coming For You' should have been a third single. The album really had legs, but they gave up after 'Too Little Too Late'... :roll:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:05 pm

ludichris wrote:Listening back to some of these "old" songs and quite a few of them had potential. I wonder if things would have been different if Coming For You was the follow up to TLTL. Why wasn't it the single? It's (still)a smash!
Coming for you was, still and always will be a f***in tune!!! I been playing the hell out the new version. It still sounds good!
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby popmusic » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:42 pm

Jesper wrote:
Guru wrote:
Because she doesn't have the rights to the original compositions, that is the whole reason why she is 'covering' her own material. And she wanted to give the songs as true to the originals, because fans have been asking her for it for years now and she also felty like it was a cathartic experience for her. The only thing she changed are a few lyrics like in Breezy, since she had those lyrics laying around back then, but they weren't appopriate for a teen and some adlibs.
Comparisons always would have come, and there is nothing wrong with comparing tbh. I mean nobody is forcing anyone to use these new versions, but it is a way for her to have her back catalogue back into her own hands, give the fans a way to stream those songs in a form as close to the originals as possible. I mean other people would have complained about why she sould have recorded acoustic versions or an acoustic set aswell. She would have never been able to please everybody.

This is the way she decided to do it, take it or leave it 8-)
I just want to mention that she had to wait 5 years afer Blackground Rec agreement termination because of "re-recording restrictions clause".
popmusic
Groupie

Postby HotPotato » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:03 pm

The misguided release of How To Touch A Girl caused Blackground to give up on this. Fools.

The singles should have been:

Too Little Too Late
Coming For You
Let It Rain
Anything

All still so solid even now, the last three have been constantly on repeat with me since their initial release, especially CFY.
This ain't gon be easy
HotPotato
Manager

Postby Guru » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:07 pm

Barry Hankerson was a very clever businessman. But I also assume most restrictions were standard recording artist contracts?
Guru
Guru

Postby jpguy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:08 am

"Coming For You" is such an excellent and great track, I wish it was a single to be honest.
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Guru » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:01 am

jpguy wrote:"Coming For You" is such an excellent and great track, I wish it was a single to be honest.
That was always part of my “angry” playlist since 2006 :lol:
Kelly Clarkson and Keyshia Cole are also part of that playlist :oops:
Guru
Guru

Postby MusicJunk90 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:14 pm

I wish she re-did the whole (European version) of the JoJo album. I miss "Butterflies" and "Back and Forth", the latter being one of the best songs on the album. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
MusicJunk90
Personal Assistant

Return to R&B & Urban