The best songs of 2007 (according to Shell)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Who's going to claim glory in 2007?

Muse - Knights Of Cydonia
80%
Brooke Fraser - Shadowfeet
20%

Total votes : 5

Postby Virgostar » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:58 pm

Since a few others have decided to kick off their countdowns, I figure its safe to start doing mine. I'll be starting it sometime next week (when I get the chance to do something), but for now, you've just gotta make guesses as to what my #1 for 2007 is.

Just like last year, I've included songs that are no more than 6 months old by the time I start charting them (you'll see a few older ones from last year in there and in the top 10). Again this year I'll be providing YouTube links to all the Aussie and Kiwi songs that people don't (or won't) know, just so you can hear the best of what's come out of the Antipodes this year.

Now for the recaps from previous years - I'm stealing Martay's idea (sorry dude) and seeing how I'd change my top 10's from previous years.

1. Ms Dynamite - It Takes More/Shakira - Objection (Tango)
3. Sugababes - Stronger
4. Alicia Keys - A Woman's Worth
5. Five For Fighting - Superman (It's Not Easy)
6. Coldplay - The Scientist
7. Silverchair - The Greatest View
8. Shakaya - Cinderella
9. Shakira - Underneath Your Clothes
10. Motor Ace - Carry On

There's heaps of things I'd change about this chart - 1/2 of my top 10 wouldn't be there now! Silverchair would go up to #1 probably (I still love that tune), Shakaya/Shakira/Ms Dynamite would all go out, as would Sugababes (they've had better since). John Mayer's No Such Thing would be in the top 10, along with Coldplay's In My Place and any other song that I've heard from 2002 since that I think would deserve a place in the top 10.

1. Candice Alley - Falling
2. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
3. Linkin Park - Numb
4. John Mayer - Bigger Than My Body
5. Jason Mraz - The Remedy (I Won't Worry)
6. Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong
7. Siobhan Donaghy - Twist Of Fate
8. Kelly Clarkson - Miss Independent
9. Amiel - Lovesong
10. Delta Goodrem - Lost Without You

John Mayer would go to #1, Candice would go to #2, Jason up to #3. Both Linkin Park tunes would go out, as would Evanescence & Delta. They'd be replaced by Nesian Mystik's It's On, The Donnas' Take It Off and probably Powderfinger's (Baby I Got You) On My Mind. Siobhan Donaghy, Kelly Clarkson and Amiel would maybe fall out as well, but I still like those 3 tunes today.

1. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
2. John Mayer - Clarity
3. Brooke Fraser - Arithmetic
4. Brooke Fraser - Lifeline
5. Snow Patrol - Spitting Games
6. Daniel Merriweather - She's Got Me
7. John Mayer - Daughters
8. Incubus - Megalomaniac
9. Alex Lloyd - Beautiful
10. Shapeshifters - Lola's Theme

FF are staying at the top for sure. I'd prolly switch Clarity and Daughters around. Both Brooke tunes would stay where they are, Snow Patrol/Incubus/Shapeshifters/Alex Lloyd would all leave the top 10 and the other Brooke tune I charted (Saving The World) would probably go into the top 10.

1. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
2. KT Tunstall - Black Horse & The Cherry Tree
3. Thirsty Merc - Someday Someday
4. Bernard Fanning - Wish You Well
5. KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See
6. Garbage - Why Do You Love Me
7. Paris Avenue feat Robin One - I Want You
8. Ben Lee - Catch My Disease
9. Mylo vs Miami Sound Machine - Dr Pressure
10. Rogue Traders - Voodoo Child

I'd put KT at #1 - it would be Suddenly I See instead. Thirsty Merc would be a bit lower, Ben Lee would be higher, Garbage would be out of the top 10. I'd put another Rogues tune in there (Way To Go) and put Paris Avenue a bit lower.

1. Fat Freddy's Drop - Wandering Eye
2. Josh Pyke - Private Education
3. Sugababes - Red Dress
4. Josh Pyke - Middle Of The Hill
5. Madonna - Jump
6. Scissor Sisters - I Don't Feel Like Dancin'
7. Brooke Fraser - Deciphering Me
8. Justin Timberlake - My Love
9. The Butterfly Effect - Gone
10. Arctic Monkeys - I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor

If I'd had more time, Brooke probably would've been my #1 song of last year and I think she'd be in the top 5 if I were to do it again. I still like both Josh tunes, but I'd prolly take maybe Madonna or SS out and put Josh's other tune Memories & Dust in the top 10. JT would be out and Sneaky Sound System's I Love It would be in there.

So there we go, have fun reading my old charts and seeing how my musical tastes have developed over the last 5 years! Oh and don't forget to vote! I know some people are going to hate parts of my top 10 *cough*Romain*cough*Misha*cough*Marius*cough* :P
Last edited by Virgostar on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby steophonic » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:01 am

Now this is always a hard one to predict but I'm gonna go for...

KT Tunstall - Hold On

Looking forward to it Shell!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Virgostar » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:04 am

Oops, I forgot to add an option there (I thought I had, but obviously I hadn't) - there are 2 Brooke Fraser tunes in my top 10, apologies if whoever voted Albertine wanted to change it now that the other tune's been added.
Last edited by Virgostar on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby innocenteyes » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:04 am

I voted for Brooke as I knew that you liked it more than Deciphering Me last year but perhaps it has changed. As long as Operator Please aren't #1, it's fine by me.

EDIT: I've change I choose Shadowfeet now :lol:. Won't be surprised if both Brooke tunes are in the Top 2
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Dalmatin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:12 am

voted for KT 8-)
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby Skelofect » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:25 am

I'll look forward to hopefully finding ot about some Australian music in your chart.

I'll vote KT and hopefully it's a good guess.
Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...
Skelofect
Legend

Postby Jon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:10 am

I think you shouldn't change your previous year-end countdowns, because then it would be something that you like at the moment not two or three years ago.

I hope Maroon 5 will be number one.
Jon
Superstar

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:08 am

I think it'll be KT... I remember how much you liked her, and I think you still like her enough to have #1 of the year :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Tiger » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:00 am

Brooke Fraser - Shadowfeet :lol: GO BROOKE
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby android » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:10 pm

:P Go Brooke I voted for Albertine
android
Superstar

Postby Marius » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:27 pm

I voted Brooke - Albertine despite having never heard it, purely based on the fact that you seem be talking about her all the time.
Marius
Legend

Postby pepster » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:28 pm

I think it'll be KT Tunstall, but I'm hoping Maroon 5 will pull an upset :lol:
pepster
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:39 am

Aye, for some reason I'm another KT Tunstall voter here.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:20 pm

Gone for Brooke with Albertine despite not knowing it.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Fan » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:04 am

KT Tunstall - Hold On
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby ryan_9048 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:47 am

KT though I am not sure. Must check those that I am not familar with. I remember liking Pyke and Freddy from last year. :wink:
ryan_9048
Superstar

Postby Virgostar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:51 am

Right, time to start the list - I've got 51 songs this year, which is down on previous years, but I couldn't be bothered rounding it down to just 50, so here goes.

51. Snow Patrol - Hands Open

Coming in at the arse end of my chart are Snow Patrol, with this tune that didn't actually end up getting a physical release here (back in the days before ARIA changed the rules about tunes - see here for more info), despite being (I guess) chosen as the 3rd single instead of Set The Fire To The Third Bar. Then again, their massive worldwide hit Chasing Cars never got a physical release here either (again before the rules came into place), the record company choosing to focus on building album sales - it did pay off, after the Grey's Anatomy 2nd season finale aired here with THAT song, Eyes Open went to #1 and stayed there for weeks. This is SP's 5th appearance on my chart in 4 years (Spitting Games #5, Run #14, Chocolate #37 in 2004; Chasing Cars #11 last year). Oh and as an aside note, it got covered by our top 12 on the Aussie Idol finale show on Sunday night...it was somewhat horrid (and boring).

Peak Position: Radio only single in Oz, #34 NZ

50. The Fratellis - Baby Fratelli

The first of several tracks from those nutty Scots is in at #50. There was a bit of contention around here in regards to this being released as a single, but I can see why it was released - it is catchy somewhat. I just grew bored of it cos I found better songs on the album...but the bit about driving a Bluebird does amuse me still. Got a hearing in the movie Hot Fuzz too (which I have to say is waaaaaaaaaaay better than Shawn Of The Dead - watched Hot Fuzz on the weekend, found it to be quite good)....and I'm digressing. Next!

Peak Position: #24 UK

49. Lily Allen - Alfie

The ode to Lily's pot-smoking little brother comes in at #49, the first of 2 Lily tunes to chart. Included as a double-A side with Shame For You, Alfie's quite a cheeky little tune with some good rhyming lyrics. Not much more I need to say here because...

Peak Position: #15 UK, #15 NZ

48. Lily Allen - Littlest Things

...oh look, there she is again! The 3rd single from Alright, Still just beats Alfie, coming in at #48. I thought she did quite well with this ballad to a lost love (it was one of my faves from the album), but the public didn't seem to get behind it, preferring her catchier tunes. I think it could've been bigger had they done so...the video was a bit of a letdown as well. This is Lily's 4th appearance on my chart in 2 years (Smile #36, LDN #30 last year; Alfie #49 this year).

Peak Position: #21 UK

47. Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own

Amy's 4th (?) single from Back To Black arrives at #47. Featuring a well worked sample of Ain't No Mountain High Enough (I knew there was a sample, but for the life of me couldn't work out what it was until I read the liner notes one day), the song definitely had "single" written all over it, despite becoming boring towards the end of the song. I think Wino fans will agree with me when I say that the video for this is disappointing, lazy and crappy - I was expecting something MUCH better for this song, but I guess when you're in the headlines much more for your problems than you are for your talent (more on that later), then you really don't care if your videos are great do you? *shrugs*

Peak Position: #16 UK

46. Thirsty Merc - 20 Good Reasons

The first of numerous Antipodean entries comes in the form of Aussie rock/pop band Thirsty Merc, whose monster single from 2nd album Slideshows comes in at #46. I struggled to get into this one at first - although this isn't necessarily a bad song, it still is a bit bland and lacking somehow. Maybe because I've heard stuff like this before, I don't know...or maybe that their album is full of songs like this (big mistake and one that's seen them suffer the sophomore slump methinx). Anyway, the punters loved it, sending them up the charts to peak at #4 (their highest charting single to date)...it is a good one to crank up and sing along in your worst rock ballad voice :lol: They've got 1 more entry still to come - where that one will chart is up to you to guess.

Peak Position: #4 Oz, #17 NZ

Coming up later this week (I might pan this out a bit longer)....an Aussie outfit that are "so hot right now", a Kiwi guy and 2 fairly well known rock bands.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby innocenteyes » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:00 am

I like these ones:

49. Lily Allen - Alfie

I don't mind this Amy Winehouse's tune although it's one of the weakest songs on the album IMO.
And I think I know the Oz outifit that is 'so hot right now' :P
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Dalmatin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:23 am

one of the best songs on the album and one of those that are better than "Chasing Cars" :P

50. The Fratellis - Baby Fratelli
another great song on the album, but I wouldn't mind it staying the album track

49. Lily Allen - Alfie
probably my favourite from her

probably my least favourite from her :P

her 2nd best single as far as I'm concerned

will listen later :wink:
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby Fan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:37 pm

Whoo for :

Lily Allen - Alfie
Lily Allen - Littlest Things
Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby ryan_9048 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Being honest here, I love every song, Shell, even thirsty merc. Listening to it for the first time now. :wink:
ryan_9048
Superstar

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:18 pm

So far, good to see these ones in here:

51. Snow Patrol - Hands Open (over here, it was released before Chasing Cars... would've flopped regardless as Chasing Cars has overshadowed everything else they've done)
49. Lily Allen - Alfie (my favourite from her, will appear in my top 100 of 2007)
47. Amy Winehouse - Tears Dry On Their Own (this'll also make it in my top 100 of 2007, along with a few other Winehouse tunes)
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Skelofect » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:59 pm

Alfie is fantastic...great tune, likewise with Tear's Dry On Their Own.

20 Good Reason's was pretty good, considering only hearing it once. Cool chart so far! 8-) :D

Never knew you were a Lily fan, you may appreciate this parody, I just saw it today...fun.
Johnny wanted cream buns for his birthday tea...
Skelofect
Legend

Postby Plym » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:24 pm

Virgostar wrote:I couldn't be bothered rounding it down to just 50
LOL :lol:

Just both Lily songs and Amy's is great too!
Good start.
Plym
Take Care

Postby Tiger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:50 pm

49. Lily Allen - Alfie

The Thirsty Merc song is lovely, Shell! I also love Alfie 8-)
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Return to Year End Personal Charts