Undeserved Flops

Moderators: tdc2000, biscuits, JSparksFan

Postby Colin » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:39 pm

^ That was an awesome tune.

It actually became a half-hit here in Ireland and peaked at #16 but I remember at the time it was always on the radio.

I'm surprised that it didn't do better.

He reminds me like an artist that could actually make a surprise hit in a few years down the road, despite not getting a hit in the early stages, ala Estelle and Winehouse. UK needs a male artist like him.
LONG LIVE GIRLS ALOUD
Colin
In The Zone

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:41 pm

Kelly Rowland - Ms. Kelly
Beverley Knight - Prodigal Sister
Beverley Knight - Who I Am
Beverley Knight - Affirmation
Beverley Knight - Music City Soul
Keke Palmer - So Uncool
Brick & Lace - Love Is Wicked
Jessica Simpson - A Public Affair
Jennifer Lopez - Brave
Keisha White - Out Of My Hands
Estelle - The 18th Day
Alesha Dixon - Fired Up
Ciara - The Evolution
Ashlee Simpson - Bittersweet World
Solange - Solo Star
Booty Luv - Boogie 2Nite
Janet Jackson - Discipline
Brooke Valentine - Chain Letter
Cherish - The Truth
Christina Milian - All albums
Jamelia - Walk With Me
JoJo - The High Road
Kat DeLuna - 9 Lives
Lil' Mama - VYP
Melanie Brown - LA State Of Mind
Mya - Liberation
Natasha Bedingfield - NB
Raven-Symoné - Raven-Symoné
Shystie - Diamond in The Dirt
Tiffany Evans - Tiffany Evans
The 411 - Between The Sheets
Javine - Surrender

My flop collection. I actually own all these albums!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby crazyman324 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Plym wrote:I think one of the biggest undeserved flops was an artist called Tyler James who released an awesome pop song in 2004 called Why Do I Do.
Oh that was epic 8-)
crazyman324
The Ringleader

Postby Bhaggers » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Alesha Dixon - Fired Up.

If only Ting-A-Ling was released first...
tell the others you've gone to sea...
Bhaggers
Superstar

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Bhaggers wrote:Alesha Dixon - Fired Up.

I agree, Ting-A-Ling or even Hypnotik would have been great singles choices! :x
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby Bhaggers » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:16 pm

UKMusicLova wrote:
Bhaggers wrote:Alesha Dixon - Fired Up.

I agree, Ting-A-Ling or even Hypnotik would have been great singles choices! :x
Well she is back soon - expect an album by November. Single by about September...
tell the others you've gone to sea...
Bhaggers
Superstar

Postby gaz_uk » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:27 pm

Plym wrote:I think one of the biggest undeserved flops was an artist called Tyler James who released an awesome pop song in 2004 called Why Do I Do.
If he released it now, he'd be regarded as the new male Winehouse/Duffy etc
It was all bad timing. The final nail in his "career" was covering White Town's Your Woman.
I agree with all that - except the bit about "Your Woman". I thought his version was fantastic!

"Why Do I Do?", "Foolish" and "Your Woman" were all great singles, and his album was truly excellent. 8-)
"I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?"
gaz_uk
Superstar

Postby Hilfan72 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:52 am

tcatron565 wrote:
AyumiH wrote:
tcatron565 wrote:Hilary Duff - Hilary Duff
Hilary Duff - Dignity
I wouldn't really consider either of those albums flops, they sold really well especially Hilary Duff.
Only their first few weeks did okay. Hilary Duff was able to surpass 1,000,000 in US compared to Metamorphosis with over 3,000,000 only a year before. Dignity barely surpassed 500,000. All the singles from Hilary Duff flopped and every single except "With Love" flopped on Dignity. It just sucks that people won't even give her a chance because she "from Disney". So what? Justin, Christina, and Britney were too!
"Hilary Duff" was able to sell 1.8 mil, off of ONE flop single. Back at that time, the album had sold around 1.5 or 1.6 mil & her record label called it a flop just because the single flopped. So they gave it up. Had they supported the album, it would have sold over 2 million, guaranteed. Let's not forget "Metamorphosis" was propelled by the fact that she had 2 HIT singles. Imagine what would have happened if Hilary's self-titled album had achieved two hit singles.

"Dignity" has sold over 1 mil worldwide. 420k in the US. Pretty disappointing but there are many factors that contributed to the lack of success.
Hilfan72
Groupie

Postby snoop » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:05 pm

Kelly Rowland - Ms. Kelly
Kylie Minogue - X
Janet - Discipline
Amerie - Because I Love It
Ciara - The Evolution
snoop
Manager

Postby jason2379 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Obviously Siobhan Donaghy :(
Embarrassed to be apart of this mess 8-)
jason2379
Superstar

Postby GRM » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:53 pm

Hilary Duff - Dignity
I think this was actually a great album, it was a step in the right direction musically for Hilary and got her away from that Pop/Rock sound. The production was tight, the songs were quality and it was different sounding to anything around at the time (even now really). It's a pity it only 344k+ in the U.S because it was the best of her albums to date.

The Corrs - Borrowed Heaven
An amazing album, the best Corrs album there is, it's so fresh sounding. There are so many goods songs on this album that I can't name just one standout track.
GRM
Manager

Postby jpguy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:07 pm

I'd say these:

1. Brave - Jennifer Lopez: considerin' the amount of really great songs it has, includin' "Do It Well" which I personally think, didn't deserve to flop that hard either, the album just went unnoticed, never expected it to not debut on the top ten in the US, where some years ago she could put a remix album at #1...

2. Hilary Duff - Dignity: I understand she's the kind of artist who's not taken properly or seriously, but "With Love" was such a great song, I can even say better than a lot of songs that have gone top ten or #1 (aka Lollipop, Low, etc), its opening sales were weak compared to other albums and also... second single didn't have any success...

3. Kelly Clarkson - My December: One of the best albums last year, it has some amazing songs, and I actually consider it a better album than "Breakaway", although it has "SUBG" and "BofY", but overall it's a lot better, it wasn't really her fault that it had flopped.. it's about her record company...

4. I am Me and A Little More Personal by Ashlee and Lindsay, these two are really great albums, although critics never manage to treat these girls "well", these could've done a lot better, considerin' they only sold 800k and 340k in the US :roll: :cry:
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby lollipop » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 pm

Blackout has sold more than almost every cd mentioned in this topic.
lollipop
Roadie

Postby lollipop » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:02 pm

NothingFails wrote:
jamez wrote:Blackout is not a flop!!!!
depends on what you consider a flop. In the sense that Britney has done absolutely nothing in the way of promotion, I suppose the album didn't flop. But considering that the album has underperformed in every territory, and even in America, it sold roughly 1/4 what In The Zone sold and it's failed to reach 1 million sales despite a huge iTunes hit and coming out during the Christmas season.
You can't compare it with In the Zone. Different times, plus In the Zone was heavily promoted, with a tour on top of that.
Blackout has only had a commercial that was only played for a little bit during the first week. Plus only 3 videos.

No interviews, no performances (except 1, 2 months prior to the album release at that.) No magazine covers, bad press, and a bad image.
lollipop
Roadie

Return to General Music Discussion