According to Shell, the best tunes of 2008 are..(#1REVEALED)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

What do you reckon is my #1 song of '08?

The Ting Tings - Great DJ
83%
P Money feat Vince Harder - Everything
17%

Total votes : 24

Postby Virgostar » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:23 am

...COMING SOON TO A FORUM NEAR YOU!

Yep, its that time of year again where UKMIXers get into countdown mode and show off what they think are the best songs from the year that has been.

Whilst my year might've been pretty crap personally, 2008 has been quite possibly the best musical year of the noughties IMO. Its certainly been my favourite year for music since 2003 and for the first time ever, I'm presenting to you 80 songs worthy of chart glory (my previous record was 75 in 2003).

A few facts before I get started on this later in the week:

* Just over 1/2 of the songs on my chart are from Australia (53% - yes, I've been fiddling with Excel & making a chart and determining percentages :oops: ). The next highest percentage comes from the US (20%), followed by the UK (18%), Europe (6%) and last but certainly not least New Zealand (4%). For some reason, it adds up incorrect, but anyway...
* One band has 3 songs in my top 20.
* One band has 4 songs overall in the chart.
* 14 songs in my top 20 are all from Australia, with 9 of them between numbers 11-20.
* For the first time ever, Aussie hip hop appears on my chart, with at least 7 songs from different acts on my chart.

Those facts will do for now, cos otherwise I'll give too much away...here's a look back at my top 5 from previous years, bearing in mind that I've changed the way I do my chart over the years and also that my musical tastes have evolved (e.g. I'm not really into any of the songs in my top 5 of 2002 anymore). There's some YouTube links for all the antipodean songs in my top 5 too.

=1. Ms Dynamite - It Takes More
=1. Shakira - Objection (Tango)
3. Sugababes - Stronger
4. Alicia Keys - A Woman's Worth
5. Five For Fighting - Superman (It's Not Easy)

1. Candice Alley - Falling
2. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
3. Linkin Park - Numb
4. John Mayer - Bigger Than My Body
5. Jason Mraz - The Remedy (I Won't Worry)

1. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
2. John Mayer - Clarity
3. Brooke Fraser - Arithmetic
4. Brooke Fraser - Lifeline (Kiwi/original version of video & song) (Aussie/International version of video & song)
5. Snow Patrol - Spitting Games

1. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
2. KT Tunstall - Black Horse & The Cherry Tree
3. Thirsty Merc - Someday Someday
4. Bernard Fanning - Wish You Well
5. KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See

1. Fat Freddy's Drop - Wandering Eye
2. Josh Pyke - Private Education
3. Sugababes - Red Dress
4. Josh Pyke - Middle Of The Hill (original video) (UK video)
5. Madonna - Jump

1. Muse - Knights of Cydonia
2. Brooke Fraser - Shadowfeet
3. Robyn - With Every Heartbeat
4. The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger
5. KT Tunstall - Hold On

As usual, I've got quite an eclectic mix of tunes, so there's some you're bound to love, some you'll hate and others you'll scratch your head over. Don't be afraid to have a guess at what my #1 is going to be either. :)
Last edited by Virgostar on Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:13 am, edited 8 times in total.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby innocenteyes » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:44 am

I've voted Faker. You often mentionned in the Oz chart thread that you loved the song but since I've never guessed correctly your #1's in past couple of years, I could be wrong.

I think I know the band who has 3 songs in your Top 80.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Dalmatin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:01 pm

also went for Faker cause you've been promoting the song on the forum on MSN constantly :P
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby Tiger » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:09 pm

Wow I have simply no idea :o
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Plym » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:18 pm

I picked Ting Tings!
Shell's chart always has some hidden gems in.
Plym
Take Care

Postby Fan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Gabriella Cilmi - Sweet About Me

I don't know why really, it's just a feeling.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby CooperLaaa » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:17 pm

Faker Seems Popular even though i havent heard it .
CooperLaaa
Manager

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:55 pm

I went for the Ting Tings...I was going to go for Gabriella Cilmi at first but something was telling me you are tired of that song???!!! :oops:
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:48 pm

I don't know most of the songs in your poll :oops:

But I voted for the Ting Tings, as I recall you like them a lot. :P
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Marius » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:30 pm

I only know three songs in your poll, Shell. One of which i despise (Gabriella).
Hence i'll be rooting for Wombats.
Marius
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:37 pm

I remember you liking P Money, that's where my vote went.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Blondini » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:57 am

Going by your Pop Chart votes, i voted P Money.

Woo the retro Brooke Frasers! :P
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Virgostar » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:24 am

FreakyFlyBry wrote:I don't know most of the songs in your poll :oops:
You will by the end of this countdown, just like last year, I'll be providing links for all the Australian and New Zealand songs for people to check out. :wink:
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Terence » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:33 pm

P Money? I don't know... can you tell me now? :lol:
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby brosa0 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:45 pm

i think your #1 will be ting tings...
brosa0
Personal Assistant

Postby Virgostar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:38 am

jlo17 wrote:P Money? I don't know... can you tell me now? :lol:
How about...no. :P

Here's the first 10 songs:

80. KT Tunstall - Saving My Face

The 2nd single from KT's sophomore album comes in dead last on my chart this year. When I first heard this song via a live recording on YouTube, I thought it sounded quite catchy, now not so much. Didn't like the video to this either (thought it was pretty craptacular , nothing special), however, I did like the colour scheme used in the video. If anything, Saving My Face is a good song title to make puns from (e.g Shaving My Face etc).

79. Fall Out Boy feat John Mayer - Beat It

One of innocenteyes' worst songs of the year ends up in my best songs chart, albeit very low in ranking. I initially thought it was quite a good cover (and not just cos one of my fave singers appears on it in the Eddie Van Halen guitar solo slot), but then of course I grew bored of it. This version at least beat Fergie's atrocious cover version IMO, I like the song done in more of a rock style.

78. Robyn - Handle Me

This was kind of a last minute inclusion in the chart - the follow up to the smash hit With Every Heartbeat (my #3 tune of 2007) initially wasn't going to be included, however, I decided to go ahead and make up a chart with 75 songs (later increased to 80 once I added 2 more songs). The video for this song isn't one to write home about, but I do like how the lyrics are about guys who think they are the shiz when they're not...I'm sure we've all known one in our lifetime!

77. Katy Perry - Ur So Gay

Another last minute inclusion to this chart by one controversial lass - I needed 2 more songs to round the total up to 80 and remembered that I didn't mind this song and another song coming up later on, so they got added. I actually discovered this song before the horrid I Kissed A Girl (no prizes for guessing which chart of mine that song will be on), with the chorus getting stuck in my head afterwards. Didn't take too much notice of the rather amusing lyrics until I started ranking this song. Not too much else to say here, cos I haven't got anything else typed out for this song!

76. Jennifer Hudson - Spotlight

After conquering the acting world by winning the Best Supporting Actress Oscar in 2007, American Idol alumni Jennifer Hudson returned to music this year with this first single from her debut album. As usual, didn't think much of this to begin with, until I heard it one night and started liking it...before returning to not really liking it that much again. Poor girl's had much personal tragedy this year, which I won't go into here cos you all know about it by now.

75. Lady GaGa feat Colby O'Donis - Just Dance

Yet another song that wasn't initially going into my chart...and one that I didn't like to begin with either. It was only when I started singing the chorus to myself one day that I realised how catchy it is. A former #1 hit in Australia (where we've seemingly embraced her, hence the joke around here that she's really Australian), the lady has been subject of much talk around here as to whether Christina Aguilera stole her look or if she's really a man. Personally, I couldn't care less. Her other hit will be featured in my worst songs chart, just warning you now.

74. The Ting Tings - Be The One

The 4th single from my favourite album of the year (We Started Nothing) ends up in the lowly position of #74. Why? Cos its not their best single for starters, plain & simple. I really would've liked Fruit Machine as the 4th single, but I'm guessing the record company went with this to prove that not all of Triple T's tunes are irritating. Another song with a video in the fairly uninteresting category - if it weren't for the moving picture board thingys, then it would be worse. Of course, the duo have more entries to come.

73. The Living End - White Noise

The first Australian/Antipodean entry of many lands at #73. White Noise is the first single from the album of the same name, which almost didn't go ahead thanks to frontman Chris Cheney leaving the band prior to recording, claiming he'd had enough of the rock&roll life and was burnt out (the band have been around for over a decade, they're one of Australia's more enduring and loved bands, especially in terms of their live sets). Surely enough, after taking time out to follow other pursuits, he rediscovered his rockstar mojo and joined the band again, the time-out process something he's been comfortable to talk about in interviews for this album. These guys took out Best Rock Album at the 2008 ARIA awards (our equivalent of the Brits, or even Grammys, cept without any awards for any international acts that made it big here in the year) as well.

Fact: This is their 2nd entry on my chart in 3 years (What's On Your Radio was #29 in 2006).

72. Josh Pyke - Sew My Name

No chart of mine would be complete without a JP song (depending on if he's released anything in the year I produce the chart) and this year is no different. Continuing with the sewing metaphor evident in almost every song on his debut album Memories & Dust and bringing an end to all the singles from that album, Sew My Name is a lovely little ode to Josh's longtime sweetheart, not to mention a nice song on its own. The video for this is quite cute as well, but a bit sad with the wintry setting and the puppet looking sad too. Of course, he's got more entries coming up later.

71. Dukes of Windsor - Get It

First of all, let me apologise for the crap sound quality on the video (if you happen to listen to it), there was a better quality one floating around, but then it got taken off YouTube. :x Anyway, DoW ended up on my worst songs list last year with The Others (with TV Rock) and now they've ended up on my best songs chart for this song from their 2nd song Minus. Why the backflip? This is actually a pretty decent song, with a fairly catchy chorus...but its also one that I initially liked more so than I do now. Speaking of backflips, for the 2nd year running, they've got a song in my worst songs chart (which I'll probably do once I complete this).

Next up (prolly on the weekend) - more Aussies, including the first of several Aussie hip hop entries, the 2nd entry of someone already mentioned above and a song that became popular once it was used in a movie or on a movie soundtrack from this year. Oh and a worldwide hit from a band that was already big to begin with.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Tiger » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:00 am

78. Robyn - Handle Me
73. The Living End - White Noise
72. Josh Pyke - Sew My Name

KT Tunstall really lost it with her second album for me but Saving My Face is lovely enough. On the Aussie front I remember hearing The Living End and liking it as well as Josh Pyke.
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby innocenteyes » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:37 am

WOOO for Lady GaGa, didn't expect her to be in your chart (but BOO for including Poker Face in your worst chart :cry: )

Whilst I couldn't stand Hold On, I don't mind Saving My Face, quite a nice tune but doesn't beat Suddenly I See and Throw Me A Rope.

Jennifer Hudson almost made my chart as well.

I initially liked that Ting Tings song but it got old very fast for me.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Kelly281 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:42 pm

78. Robyn - Handle Me

I really love Spotlight, the others are okay but slightly forgettable.

Not a fan of the Beat It cover at all.
Kelly281
Manager

Postby CooperLaaa » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:52 pm

Love Spotlight + Just dance
CooperLaaa
Manager

Postby jszmiles » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:39 pm

Im soooo looking forward to see some more Aussie's music. This year was officialy the year of Australian Music in my personal chart: top 3 for miss Amorosi, The Presents and Empire Of The Sun.

I hope some of them will come not soon :lol:
jszmiles
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:48 pm

Fall Out Boy - Really refreshing cover and anything with Mayer.. j'adore
Robyn - I am not a huge Robyn fan but a good song and I actually LOVE the video!
Ting Tings - Agree totally, good, but not their best single by a country mile
Lady GaGa - Only heard it a few times but I agree, it's catchy
Jennifer Hudson - Great to start with but overplayed and a bit - underwhelming? Remix is better.

Two songs out way too low (though neither are in my chart, not out this year in the UK)

KT Tunstall - Easily the best single from disappointing album two - REALLY like this song.
Katy Perry - One of her funniest songs though I thought the premise was childish when I heard about it. AMAZING lyrics.

I hope it can only get better if it started this well!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby UKMusicLova » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:06 pm

I LOVE 'Spotlight'! I think it's a fantastic R&B effort! So glad that she got success here in the Uk and in the US too! Such a shame she couldn't celebrate it! :(

Lady GaGa's tune is absolutely brilliant! I loved it on 1st listen and still love it.
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:22 pm

Virgostar wrote:80. KT Tunstall - Saving My Face
79. Fall Out Boy feat John Mayer - Beat It
78. Robyn - Handle Me
77. Katy Perry - Ur So Gay
75. Lady GaGa feat Colby O'Donis - Just Dance
74. The Ting Tings - Be The One
Woo for all of those :D Even though none will appear in my chart this year. :P
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Virgostar » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:51 am

jszmiles wrote:Im soooo looking forward to see some more Aussie's music. This year was officialy the year of Australian Music in my personal chart: top 3 for miss Amorosi, The Presents and Empire Of The Sun.

I hope some of them will come not soon :lol:
You won't be getting The Presets cos in general I can't stand them (I only like Are You The One from their first album and that's it), the other 2 will crop up somewhere in my chart.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Return to Year End Personal Charts