Shell's Not Another Bloody 2009 Chart! (CHARTS COMPLETE!)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

What do you think is my WORST song of 2009?

Kat DeLuna - Unstoppable
No votes
Pitbull - Hotel Room Service
100%

Total votes : 5

Postby Virgostar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:47 am

...COMING SOON!

Can't believe 2009 is nearly over...although musically 2009 wasn't quite as good as 2008 nor 2003 for me personally, I have managed to rustle up 70 songs for this chart. I'll put both my best songs and worst songs in the same thread so I don't clog the forum up, but first I'll start with the best songs cos I haven't yet worked out my worst songs chart.

Just for nostalgia's sake, here's my previous charts if anybody's interested in reading them and the #1 acts from those years:

2002 (Ms Dynamite/Shakira)
2003 (Candice Alley)
2004 (Franz Ferdinand
2005 (Kelly Clarkson)
2006 (Fat Freddy's Drop)
2007 (Muse)
2008 (The Ting Tings)

Now listen up, I'm doing something a little different with the poll this year. Instead of getting you to pick my #1 song from the list, I'm going to get you to guess what song will chart the highest from the list provided. It may be my #1 song or it may not, that's the fun of it. :wink:

I'll start the chart tomorrow, but until then, have fun predicting!
Last edited by Virgostar on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 am, edited 25 times in total.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby innocenteyes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:57 am

First of all, :o :o to see LoveGame in your poll. You never cease to surprise me!

Otherwise, I've voted for Sweet Disposition as you seem to like that song a lot.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:04 am

innocenteyes wrote:First of all, :o :o to see LoveGame in your poll. You never cease to surprise me!
I must admit I do like some GaGa tunes...but she's rather hit & miss with me.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Terence » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Temper Trap?
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Dalmatin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:38 pm

Virgostar wrote:
innocenteyes wrote:First of all, :o :o to see LoveGame in your poll. You never cease to surprise me!
I must admit I do like some GaGa tunes...but she's rather hit & miss with me.
you shocked me :P surely hope it's not Gaga at the top

also went for Temper Trap, although that seems like pigeonholing already :lol:
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Tough choice here... but I went with Empire Of The Sun.

Looking forward to the chart :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby aishawch » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:27 pm

looking forward too Shell!!!
aishawch
Superstar

Postby toni_pest » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:11 pm

...let's have some fun, this beat is sick... 8-)
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby Tiger » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:26 pm

LAdyhawke
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby aishawch » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:24 am

Voted Ladyhawke too!!!
aishawch
Superstar

Postby Blondini » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:26 am

I voted EOTS but really i have NO IDEA as you've barely been around this year. :cry: I know you don't love Ladyhawke as much as others do so that one was crossed off.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby king_oxymoron » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:09 am

Great to see a chart from you Shell. Bit stuck to be honest, but I voted My Delirium :)
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Virgostar » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:39 am

Righty o, first 10 off the rank:

70. Cassie Davis - Like It Loud

This debut single from a Perth lass with some supposed high profile fans in the US music industry ends up dead last in 2009. Why? I've kinda stopped liking this song so much after Romain (innocenteyes) pointed out the faults with the song - upon the first few listens, I liked the chorus but now I can't stand it and I also don't like the song that much now...yet its still ended up in here. Ah well. All her other singles annoyed me in some kind of way, especially Differently, so no more entries from Cassie here....and on that note, for those of you who do know of her, have you noticed that she isn't wearing as much makeup in all her other clips after this? She looks much older than her supposed age of 24 in this clip...must be the orange skin.

69. Coldplay - Life In Technicolour II

I didn't mind it as the original instrumental version on Viva La Vida..., but the reworked version isn't too bad either. I think I love the video for this more so than the song - the band as puppets taking the piss out of what rock stars do with their gigs and their helicopters and all that shiz, brilliant! They've got one more entry coming up later on.

68. Lady Sovereign - So Human

Prior to this, I couldn't stand "the biggest midget in the game", but I can't deny that this is a catchy if slightly irritating song which of course samples The Cure's Close To Me (and steals the opening lines from that song). I think that might be the only reason why I like this to be honest!

67. James Morrison feat Nelly Furtado - Broken Strings

A song that ended up in innocenteyes' worst songs chart ends up in my best songs chart, albeit at a lowly #67. I think I might've dismissed this when I first heard it as nothing much, but it wasn't until I saw the video on VH1 one day that I changed my mind and started liking it. A decent enough song to listen to when you've just broken up with someone, but not something you could listen to on repeat methinks.

Chart History

James: You Give Me Something = #19 (2006)
Nelly: Powerless (Say What You Want) = #12 (2003), Promiscuous = #48 (2006)

66. End of Fashion - Dying For You

The 2nd single from the Perth band's 2nd album Book Of Lies comes in at #66 this year. I haven't got too much to say about this song except that it was touted as a potential single when the album came out last year and that it was co-written by frontman Justin Burford and Julian Hamilton from the Presets (who also co-wrote Silverchair's award winning song Straight Lines with their frontman Daniel Johns...and is also responsible for the heinous crime to music that was My People, one of the worst songs of 2008).

Chart History

Rough Diamonds = #39 (2004), Fussy = #66 (2008 - coincidence!)

65. Hoobastank feat Vanessa Amorosi - The Letter

I'll link you all to this since, well, Vanessa's Aussie. This collaboration actually came about thanks to Hoobastank's manager, who apparently has done work with Australian music acts in the past and thought it'd be a good idea to get Vanessa on board for this song to cater towards the Australian market....I know there's a version without her as well floating out there somewhere. The song itself didn't chart all that well here unfortunately, charting just inside the top 40...but its still not that bad IMO.

Chart History

Hoobastank: The Reason = #25 (2004)
Vanessa: Perfect = #31 (2008)

64. Kelly Clarkson - Already Gone

The song that Kelly herself didn't want as a single comes in at #64. Why? Cos it supposedly sounds like Beyonce's Halo...if I had a choice between the 2 songs, I know which one I'd prefer to listen to and it ain't the most overrated artist on UKMIX (aside from all the rest of them)! Kelly of course is no stranger to my chart, as you'll see in the chart history below.

Chart History

Miss Independent = #8, Low = #17 (2003)
The Trouble With Love Is = #55 (2004)
Since U Been Gone = #1, Because Of You #23 (2005)

63. Josh Pyke - The Summer

My favourite male troubadour shows up here with the 3rd single from award-winning 2nd album Chimney's Afire, with one more single to come later on. I dunno how the guy does it, but he just keeps delivering great videos and this one is no different...although it might take a while to truly understand the concept of it cos the concept comes from the lyrics themselves. Believe it or not, it was actually shot in the outer suburbs of Sydney, not too far away from where I live - I honestly thought he'd gone overseas for it, until I saw the beach at the end. I must admit this is not one of my favourite songs from Chimney's Afire, but the video got this song over the line for me....however, whilst away on holidays in April/May, the song kept getting into my head and I've slowly begun to like it more. Everybody should be living like they do in the summer!

62. Evermore - Hey Boys & Girls (Truth Of The World Part 2)

For some dumb reason, they've taken down the original antipodean video and replaced it with an "international" version which sounds slightly different in parts and is also (I think) longer than the original video. Oh and Jon Hume (frontman) has dyed his hair back to brown from bleached blonde...which suits him better methinks. He looked a bit Gerard Way-esque with the blonde hair...and also looked like a bleary-eyed drunk in parts of the original video too :lol: (if somebody can find it, please put a link in here for comparison's sake). The original video was better though I think, fitted in with the lyrical themes of the song a lot more.

Enough about the video and onto the song...this is the first Evermore song I've liked straight away and it was rightfully a top 10 hit on both sides of the Tasman. Perhaps a little too much here, since radio overkill dulled my taste for this song after a while, hence the low chart placing.

61. Gossip - Heavy Cross

This big hit from Music For Men comes in at #61, possibly their biggest hit to date perhaps (Standing In The Way Of Control wasn't a hit here, unlike in the UK). Heavy Cross slowly rose up the Aussie singles chart and into the top 10 a few months back, pretty much thanks to the Fred Falke remix that Aussie radio kept flogging, much more so than the original version. Follow up single Love Long Distance annoys me though, definitely not a patch on this at all.

That's all for today, but a few clues for next time:

* A song from one of my fave bands in the entire universe.
* A worldwide smash.
* 2 Australian female singers, both of whom won ARIA awards this year.
* A remix.
* A big Aussie rock band making a comeback in 2009.
Last edited by Virgostar on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby aishawch » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:42 am

Woos for these.. :D :D
*dang it,Ladyhawke will appear in your next posting*
aishawch
Superstar

Postby UKMusicLova » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:30 am

I reckon I'm voting for Ladyhawke. Judging by your comments in the ARIA Awards thread, I'd say you're a fan!

70. Cassie Davis - Like It Loud - this is quite nice. I prefer her other single.
66. End of Fashion - Dying For You - gave this a listen...and it's pretty good!
65. Hoobastank feat Vanessa Amorosi - The Letter - oooh this is pretty good! :D
63. Josh Pyke - The Summer - I like this kind of acoustic-y song. Reminds me slightly of Jack Johnson
Didnt' really liken that Evermore one!

Good stuff! I'm liking these Aussie stuff! Keep the links coming! :)
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:18 am

Sorry for making you stop liking that Cassie Davis song :lol: .

You already my thoughts about it, same for Broken Strings. Don't like Lady Sovereign & Hoobastank / Vanessa Amorosi

I don't mind this Coldplay song but radios played it too much here. Evermore aren't too bad.

Josh Pyke's song does nothing for me but the video is nice. Have just listened to End Of Fashion and their tune is good. Gossip's song is good but like in Australia, radios played the Fred Flake Remix, which isn't that good instead of the original.

Pleasantly surprised to Kelly Clarkson's song here as well. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the chart.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:48 am

70. Cassie Davis - Like It Loud
69. Coldplay - Life In Technicolour II
63. Josh Pyke - The Summer
62. Evermore - Hey Boys & Girls (Truth Of The World Part 2)

Josh Pyke rocks.

My CHART
Tiger

Postby Blondini » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:22 am

Coldplay, Kelly and Gossip are good.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:38 am

Virgostar wrote:69. Coldplay - Life In Technicolour II
65. Hoobastank feat Vanessa Amorosi - The Letter
61. Gossip - Heavy Cross
Woo for all those :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Dalmatin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:15 am

err, that's it
didn't realise you're such a Kelly Clarkson fan though :P shaaaame :wink:

might check out the Pyke tune
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Woo for Sov and James Morrison, Gossip placed similarly for me. LOVE Kelly Clarkson's one - don't appreciate that Beyonce comment though, she's the only 'overrated' star here who DESERVES to be so praised!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Virgostar » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:22 am

king_oxymoron wrote:don't appreciate that Beyonce comment though, she's the only 'overrated' star here who DESERVES to be so praised!
Please don't get all stan-like on me now Adam! :P

Next batch:

60. Jay Z feat Alicia Keys - Empire State Of Mind

A late addition to my chart, since I realised I had only 69 songs instead of 70 when tallying everything up...so I'm going to wing it here. Even though I initially liked this and thought it wasn't so bad, I think I'm a tiny bit sick of it already since its become a top 10 hit in Australia (and quite possibly Hova's biggest hit here - chart fanatics, tell me if I'm right) and radio's playing it a lot. Either way, I like all the little references in it and perhaps if I hadn't have rushed things so much, I might've put this a lot higher than #60.

59. Powderfinger - All Of The Dreamers

Although this is not their best single to date, the first single lifted from this premier Aussie rock band's 6th album Golden Rule is certainly better than anything they released from their last album Dream Days At The Hotel Existence, which the band freely admits was not their best work. I for one am quite happy to see them rocking out again - is it just me or is frontman Bernard Fanning getting more and more good looking? I dunno. Anyway, I may just be tempted to buy Golden Rule further down the track, I've heard a couple of other songs from it and they don't sound too bad.

Chart History

(Baby I Got You) On My Mind = #21 (2003)
Bernard's solo work: Wish You Well = #4 (2005)

58. Incubus - Love Hurts

I have to say, jeez this song was released late as a single! I mean, come on, Light Grenades (the album which this comes from) was released late 2006 and early 2009 this becomes a single (or maybe I'm a bit off with the timing)! Anyhoo, this is one of my fave songs from that particular album, but if I had to rank it overall, it wouldn't be in my top 10 Incubus songs (that's reserved for stuff like Drive and the fooking sexy & awesome Summer Romance [Anti-Gravity Love Song]). I think they shouldn't have been so lazy with the video though, the song deserves/deserved a better video than just footage from their Look Alive DVD & tours. The band released their Greatest Hits this year whilst taking some time away to pursue other things....its rumoured that they will have an album out in 2010, much to my relief as I thought they might be breaking up!

Chart History

Megalomaniac #8, Talk Shows On Mute #19 (2004)
Dig #11, [i]Oil & Water #28 (2007)

57. Children Collide - Farewell Rocketship

There is a video for this song, but the sound quality on all the videos I've found is terrible, so here's this one. Anyway, as you may have figured from the link, its by an Aussie group, namely a Melbourne rock group who have another song coming up later in the countdown. The song essentially is about the world going to hell and you sneaking off with a loved one to your own little place and not telling anyone at all of your plans. Oh and don't be surprised if you start singing the chorus at the top of your lungs...I love doing it!

56. Kid Cudi - Day N Nite (Crookers Remix)

Having heard both the original and this now world-famous remix (which is what helped him gain a top 20 hit here), I've gotta say I do prefer the remix more so than the original. Not that the original is terrible, but there's something about this remix that gives the song an extra bit of oomph. The video for this though is your typical bog standard, with slutty girls dancing about. No wonder Kid Cudi himself complained about it (supposedly)!

55. Taylor Swift - Love Story

The big worldwide hit I alluded to in the last post I made comes in at #55...and deservedly so, even if its been overcooked on radio stations around the world. Even though I despise country music in general, this isn't too country, hence my like of the song. This song appeals to my hopeless romantic side, especially the last bit of the song about pulling out a ring....I've felt all fuzzy when I've heard that bit before and I guess you could say I've wondered why the hell my life isn't like some Hollywood rom-com or even like a song. *sigh* *puts fantasist/idealist side back on its leash and continues with the chart...*

54. Numbers Radio - Automatic (First song in playlist)

The first of numerous discoveries I made via Triple J comes in at #54. I confess I don't know much about this up & coming band, aside from what's said on their MySpace page (that they're indie/rock/thrash & they're from Brisbane). All I know is that I'd heard this several times on that aforementioned radio station and it took me a little while to find out who it was by...the chorus kept getting stuck in my head, as almost all choruses do when you hear them for the first time. Anyway, check them out if you wish.

53. Sarah Blasko - All I Want

The first of the 2 Aussie females I mentioned comes in at #53. I must admit I've never really been a huge fan of Sarah Blasko's music...whilst I've always thought she has a nice voice, I've just found her music dull somehow. That's all changed with this song and her 3rd album As Day Follows Night, which helped her win the Best Female ARIA again this year and thanks to that album, I'm looking to get this and may even buy her previous 2 albums (The Overture & The Underscore + What The Sea Wants, The Sea Will Have), since there are some songs I know and like from them. I love the haunting feel of this song and the lyrics, which are basically saying "I need to be single right now in order to find myself"...pretty much all the songs on her latest album are about a relationship break-up she had prior to recording. She has one more entry coming up later on.

52. Bertie Blackman - Byrds Of Prey

Rest easy my pretties, Ladyhawke is yet to chart! Instead, we have a relatively unknown ARIA winning female artist by the name of Bertie Blackman, whose critically acclaimed 3rd album Secrets & Lies helped her win Best Independent Release at the ARIA awards last month. If you like your female artists on the edgier side of electro-pop, then Bertie's your gal (although this is her first foray into the electro side of music apparently). For some reason she reminds me of Bat For Lashes in the chorus of this song, dunno why....I nearly put another one of her songs from this album (Heart) into my chart, but I didn't quite like it enough to put it in.

51. Jordin Sparks - Freeze

I don't think this got an official release at all from her debut album, but I kept hearing it on radio here earlier in the year, hence its entry into my 2009 chart. A bit of a shame cos I think its a pretty decent tune, although it did irritate my ears a bit at first when she sings the word "freeze" and I almost didn't chart this for that very reason. Of course, its not to be confused with that T-Pain/Chris Brown tune of the same name (which I funnily enough like, maybe cos I had to do a little routine to it at my salsa classes...which was quite fun and flirty too).

Chart History

Tattoo = #56 (2008)

Clues for the next installment:

* One of my poll entries will fall! Oh no! Who will it be?
* An Aussie band whose song was on a car ad this year (big clue for the Aussies who've seen it).
* A petite UK lass whose debut album was a disappointment in some critics eyes.
* A song featured on the US version of So You Think You Can Dance.
* An Aussie guy whose debut album I've been waiting 5 years for.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Tiger » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:45 am

60. Jay Z feat Alicia Keys - Empire State Of Mind
59. Powderfinger - All Of The Dreamers
58. Incubus - Love Hurts
55. Taylor Swift - Love Story
53. Sarah Blasko - All I Want
52. Bertie Blackman - Byrds Of Prey

I personally think that Sarah Blasko is fantastic! And that Incubus song is a masterpiece

My CHART
Tiger

Postby android » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:09 am

:P Yay for Incubus and Sarah Blasko and Taylor Swift's little country pop song is a gem. Jordin Sparks can sing a good tune , Gossip seem an interesting band and Pykey always deserves his high placings on your list.
android
Superstar

Postby adg » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:34 am

Great songs from Coldplay, James Morrison & Nelly Furtado, End Of Fashion, Kelly Clarkson, Gossip, Powderfinger and Incubus 8-)
adg
Superstar

Return to Year End Personal Charts