Spice Girls | Spice

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Loverboy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:12 pm

How old were you back than?
They took the world by storm, Wannabe was just E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E. It still sounds good :oops:
Loverboy
Superstar

Postby aPod » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:28 pm

hahhahah 10! everyone was crazy about them! ohhh it was so nice seeing them reunite!!

this album is a gem and surprisingly there are better songs than wannabe on here
SholasBoy is the nicest person in the entire world :)
aPod
Superstar

Postby Shorty » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:15 am

CLASSIC!

I was eight, and Spice was my first album ever! The Spice Girls got me into music, and I fully give them credit for that.

My favourite on the album is easily Naked. What a TUNE, one of my all time favourite songs, so amazing and classy for the girls, it sounded nothing like their other material.

I also loved Last Time Lover (the only song they never performed live), If U Can't Dance & Love Thing. I actually rated the album tracks over the singles cos they got overplayed.
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby suckeforlove » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Shorty wrote:My favourite on the album is easily Naked. What a TUNE, one of my all time favourite songs, so amazing and classy for the girls, it sounded nothing like their other material.
Agreed, just amazing I can't believe how much I loved that song back in the day, and when they used to perform it live in concerts :o Aaaah good old days 8-)
suckeforlove
Roadie

Postby RockTheBoat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:37 pm

A classic pop album, which I do still listen to. Quite a varied album and not as 'poppy' as you might expect, with a few R&B influenced tracks (Something Kinda Funny, Naked, Last Time Lover) I wouldn't say there were any filler tracks on it, although the only one that comes close for me is 'Mama'.
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Star » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:46 pm

C'mon you gotta have the cover!

I was 10 :P
Star
Sensational

Postby AyuM » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:46 pm

Back in 2000 I was 8 and i remember that Victoria's face scared me...

But she's gorgeous of course!! I was too little back then... I don't remember their "Spice era" at all, I was 4-5 years old. But "Spice" was generally a great & fun album! :wink:
Madonna Addict
AyuM
Manager

Postby DC3 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:04 pm

I LOVE that album! If U Can't Dance has such a great groove!
DC3
Groupie

Postby menime123 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:01 pm

LOVE this album, still play it.

I was 8 when this came out, and it was my first ever album. It was amazing to see them on their reunion tour because I never got the chance first time around.

I think every single single released was worthy, and everything left on the album deserved to be. Love Thing is amazing, but every great album needs a hidden album gem and this is theirs.

I think Who Do You Think You Are is the best song on the album, and the Brits performance completely deserved it's award for best performance.

Spicemania was huge back in 1996, and everyone and their grandma had a favourite Spice Girl. Mine was always Ginger: had to love those big boobs and huge voice! (speaking voice, naturally).
menime123
Legend

Postby AutomaticBR » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 pm

I'm not into them these days, but they were my first idol ever, I was completely crazy for them! in 96/97 they were probably the only artist I would listen to, I was singing, dancing and buying anything related to them 24/7 :oops: :lol:
AutomaticBR
Legend

Postby aPod » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:42 pm

I was 9 and obviously gay :D :D
SholasBoy is the nicest person in the entire world :)
aPod
Superstar

Postby AutomaticBR » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:24 pm

aPod wrote:I was 9 and obviously gay :D :D
Same here :lol: at the peak of their fame (1997) I was 10, and I'm gay since I can remember :lol:
AutomaticBR
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Last Time Lover is suuuuuch a good song, showed that they had some R&B roots long before Forever.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby RockTheBoat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 am

'Last Time Lover' has a great beat - in fact quite a few songs on Spice were quite R&B influenced for a pure pop album.

I don't think there's one filler track on this album - even the non-singles were very strong - 'Love Thing', 'Something Kinda Funny', 'Last Time Lover', 'If U Can't Dance' - all brilliant!
Without Any Meaning / We're Just Skin & Bone / Like Beautiful Robots Dancing Alone.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:05 am

I've fallen in love with Mama lately, I don't know what it is. I hated it when I was a kid cos it was too slow, but lately I just LOVE it. I much prefer the radio edit over the 5 minute version on Spice however. It's just so cute and it's amazing live.

Who Do You Think You Are has grown on me too, I always liked it but now I love it. I love the horns!

The Spice album would be flawless if not for the 5 minute Mama, if it was the radio version, the album would be completely 100% amazing - as I love all the singles, and the album tracks (Love Thing, Last Time Lover <3, Something Kinda Funny, Naked <333 and If U Can't Dance) are all absolutely superb.

I also think Spice is better then Spiceworld, even though I love Spiceworld.

(And Emma was always my fave SG. I loved her when I was a kid cos she was blonde like me and she was the youngest and she was Baby :D I still love her now, her solo music rocks :D)
I've now met Dean Ambrose FOUR TIMES - 28/03/15, 02/04/16, 20/08/16 & 01/04/17!!
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Aww I always loved Mama, I used to make my brother sing the last part so I could sing the ad-lib type bits :lol:
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Nava22 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:07 pm

AutomaticBR wrote:
aPod wrote:I was 9 and obviously gay :D :D
Same here :lol: at the peak of their fame (1997) I was 10, and I'm gay since I can remember :lol:
I was 13/14 and STRAIGHT! Still am! lol
Didn't matter if you were straight, gay, male, female - everybody and their grandma had a copy of this album back in the day! I had Spice World too which was equally as good.

People are too quick to slag them off these days. They forget just how good their brand of pop music was. Look just how quick their reunion tour sold out and how in demand the tickets were.

Just for the record - Something Kinda Funny, Say You'll Be There, Naked & If U Can't Dance (which samples hip hop track The Humpty Dance) were my favourites.
"Free me, FreE.M.I!" - sing it Joss!!
Nava22
Manager

Postby RockTheBoat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Nava22 wrote:I was 13/14 and STRAIGHT! Still am! lol
Didn't matter if you were straight, gay, male, female - everybody and their grandma had a copy of this album back in the day! I had Spice World too which was equally as good.

People are too quick to slag them off these days. They forget just how good their brand of pop music was. Look just how quick their reunion tour sold out and how in demand the tickets were.

Just for the record - Something Kinda Funny, Say You'll Be There, Naked & If U Can't Dance (which samples hip hop track The Humpty Dance) were my favourites.
100% agree.
RockTheBoat
Manager

Postby Thriller » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:43 pm

I was 11 and fair dos it is a brilliant pop album! Five fantastic singles, highlight for me being "Who Do You Think You Are?" - seriously not a bad track on it, a perfect 10!
Thriller

Postby kitten97 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:18 am

Loverboy wrote:How old were you back than?
They took the world by storm, Wannabe was just E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E. It still sounds good :oops:
yeah!! I like wannabe but I like more the "stop" :)
The most important for women in their wedding are their wedding dress
kitten97
Groupie

Postby NoAngels » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:08 pm

OMG where have I been?!

I like this album. My favourite after "Wannabe" is "Love Thing", I listen to it even now!
Don't Worry, Cause You're Really Not That Hard to Replace.
NoAngels
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:57 am

My first album. :D

Back in 1996, I always preferred the singles over the album tracks, which I guess is a common thing to do for a child.

But now that I'm older, I can't really listen to songs like Wannabe and WDYTYA - although I appreciate everything they stood for when they were released.

I like the album tracks a lot more now too. The album tracks seem more geared towards an older audience - not for children under 10. Last Time Lover and If U Can't Dance are my favourite album tracks.

And yes in regards to Mama! It was always my least favourite single from the album, but recently, I think it is really nice. :o
biscuits
The Diva

Postby TheBiatches » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:44 pm

This album turned 15 today!

I still love it and think it's a pop masterpiece, it deserved selling the 23 million copies it (more or less) sold worldwide for sure!
TheBiatches
Manager

Postby Shorty » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:32 am

TheBiatches wrote:This album turned 15 today!
Holy crap :o Now I feel old! :lol: I'm 24, and this album has been around for a large part of my whole life!

I was one of these people who listened to SG even when it was "uncool" to listen to them :lol: Proud 8-)
Shorty
Resident WWE Fan

Postby TheBiatches » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Shorty wrote:
TheBiatches wrote:This album turned 15 today!
Holy crap :o Now I feel old! :lol: I'm 24, and this album has been around for a large part of my whole life!

I was one of these people who listened to SG even when it was "uncool" to listen to them :lol: Proud 8-)
Tell me about it, I'm 26! I've been listening to this album for more than half my life :o

And I'm still a huge fan, they're still my favourite band which many people might find weird and embarrassing but I don't care, their music is still great to me and I hold such special memories linked to them I don't think I'd ever be able to not care about them!
TheBiatches
Manager

Return to The Retro