Shell's Charts of 2010 (CHARTS COMPLETE)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

What is my WORST song of 2010?

Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
91%
Far East Movement feat The Cataracs & Dev - Like A G6
9%

Total votes : 11

Postby Virgostar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:31 pm

*POLL ADDED*

A selection of what's to come in my chart.

Last edited by Virgostar on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:35 am, edited 26 times in total.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby JimJim » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:40 pm

No surprises there :P :lol:
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:43 pm

Do we comment or wait for the poll? KT was no surprise, or Brooke ;)
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Virgostar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:30 am

Trueness :lol:

Gonna add the poll now, just still tallying everything up. Shall start this either on the weekend, or after the weekend.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Virgostar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 am

Ok, poll added. Somewhere in that bunch of 12 songs is my #1...but is it the seemingly obvious choice? :P :wink:
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:12 am

I really have no idea, but I voted for Brooke Fraser.
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Tiger » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:44 am

Fade Like A Shadow :P
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby innocenteyes » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:35 am

Have gone with Washington but I've never guessed well your #1's since 2006.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Fan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:41 pm

KT, although it could be a bit too obvious :P
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby UKMusicLova » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:08 pm

I also voted for KT! I'm looking forward to this Shell!
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Hmmm - I went for what IMO is the blindingly obvious choice - Brooke Fraser.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby steophonic » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:09 am

Voted KT Tunstall, though I'm not sure.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby king_oxymoron » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:38 pm

I picked Robyn..
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Blondini » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:59 am

matthew_dixon wrote:Hmmm - I went for what IMO is the blindingly obvious choice - Brooke Fraser.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Virgostar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:40 am

Now that I've finished tallying, time to start this baby.

65. Amy Macdonald - Don't Tell Me That It's Over

Last place on my chart this year goes to someone I've never been all that fussed on before...until this song changed my mind about her (somewhat). Grew bored of it pretty quickly though and the video isn't really all that interesting either. Must say that a makeover can do wonders for people - I reckon she looks a lot more pretty now than when she first burst onto the music scene!

64. The Temper Trap - Love Lost

One of the numerous singles from this Aussie band's Conditions album. Its not my fave song on the album, but when you've already put out your most single-worthy tunes early on (the almighty Sweet Disposition & Fader), I guess its kinda hard to find anything else on the album to put out....maybe Science Of Fear could've got a re-release or even Fader (as it did recently here). Methinks this is easily their best video to date...I think they actually ran a video competition for this, I seem to have found a few on YouTube that would suggest they were part of some competition to make the new video for the song. They've got 1 more song to come in the countdown.

63. Lisa Mitchell - Oh! Hark!

In at #63 is a song I didn't think much of initially, until it caught my listening ears one night on radio and I got hooked onto it very briefly - I tend to think a lot of music sounds better at night for some reason. Maybe its because you're more relaxed, I don't know. Its a little cutesy, but I've got at least one better cutesy song coming up later on in the countdown.

62. Karnivool - All I Know

An entry from an Aussie hard-rock band here. Their frontman Ian Kenny also happens to front another Aussie band called Birds of Tokyo, who'll be coming up later on in the chart (and not with their most overrated tune to date). For a rock guy, he doesn't have too bad a voice IMO. Haven't got anything else to say other than check it out if you wish...shall move on...

61. Vampire Weekend - Giving Up The Gun

I have no comments typed up for this, other than to say this song was deemed ok enough to enter my chart. :lol: I think I liked the video slightly more than the song though.

60. Hayley Warner - Good Day

And here's the part where I cringe a little and hide in a corner. :oops: Unlike Aussie Idol 2009 winner Stan Walker's first/winning single Black Box (which I found boring at the time, but I didn't mind the remix of later single Choose You), I enjoyed this from the '09 runner-up. Whilst I think its not a bad song musically, vocally there are parts of this song where she sounds quite rough and irritating, where she almost sounds like a bloke or a bogan singing! (Well, she is from the Shire after all....that's a Sydneysider joke, sorry.) Needless to say, I am a little ashamed for having liked this, but I guess it could've been worse...I could've thought so highly of it that it ended up being my #1 of 2010!

59. Two Door Cinema Club - Undercover Martyn

Another one I haven't got pre-prepared comments for, so again I shall wing it. I can't remember where I first heard this song (the 2nd single from their album Tourist History) - it was either via UKMIX or via Aussie radio station Triple J, but like the Vampire Weekend song above, I deemed it fit to go into my chart. Its pretty catchy, but again, the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

58. Guy Sebastian - All To Myself

Coming in at #58 is a guy (pardon the pun) who has featured on my EOY charts numerous times. Seems like this song hung around just below the Australian top 50 singles forever and at the time, it probably should've been a slightly bigger hit. I think Guy does a pretty good tango in the video for this, which I'll presume was shot in Buenos Aires or somewhere in Argentina....I'm not well versed in the art of tango, but I think he looked pretty good. I guess he's come full circle now as a judge on the revamped Aussie X-Factor, having cut his teeth as the first Australian Idol winner, but in all seriousness though, is Australia that much of a TV talent wasteland that we had to get a former winning reality TV show contestant to judge? (Mind you, I guess Cheryl Cole's on X-Factor in Britain and she came from reality TV singing show stock too.)

57. Plan B - Stay Too Long

Now this one I definitely discovered via UKMIX. Had been seeing this song on numerous people's personal charts earlier in the year and decided to check it out myself...and I liked what I heard. Except for the shouty rap at the end, that did and still does annoy me a bit. Didn't like any of the other singles he released this year, so this is his one and only entry.

56. Sparkadia - Talking Like I'm Falling Down Stairs

Keen followers of my chart may remember this Aussie outfit from 2008, with their damn-good tune Too Much To Do (#13 that year). Apparently they are now just a one-man outfit, with singer Alex taking the name for himself...if I recall correctly, Sparkadia were almost always a kind of one-man outfit anyway, so it hasn't made much difference. :-? (Don't quote me on that.) The video for this kind of feels a bit noir-ish. Or slightly spooky in an atmospheric way. Either way, it fits in with the song.

55. Laura Marling - Rambling Man

The first entry for Ms Marling on my 2010 chart, with one more to come. Initially I wasn't going to put this into my chart as I wasn't entirely fussed on it, but since I haven't really found any other songs that were worthy enough of going into my EOY chart, I threw this song in. I love the lines "And it's hard to accept yourself as someone you don't desire/As someone you don't want to be" - those lines have really struck a chord with me as I've looked back at my life and realised I've had a few of those moments.

54. Florence & The Machine - You've Got The Love

Florence's biggest worldwide hit comes in at #54. Whilst I do think this is a pretty decent cover (not fussed on her cover of Halo - then again, I don't like the original either), I got really sick of this song after a while, seemed like it was everywhere here at one stage (damn you Masterchef Australia for ruining my taste for it by using it in your promotional ad for the show...and damn you So You Think You Can Dance Australia for using it in a routine too). I do think she has better songs in her singing arsenal though.

53. Calvin Harris - You Used To Hold Me

Yet another song that I debated about, but threw in eventually cos I got quite hooked on it...and yet again, the novelty wore off quickly. Its a bit sad, cos this took its sweet time to work its way onto my "me likey!" list. Still, its one of those tunes I felt/feel compelled to turn up loud and dance along to...and I still reckon Chris Brown stole part of this for Yeah 3x as well (at the beginning, it sounds a bit like this before the whole this-sounds-like-I'm-Not-Alone-part kicks in)....but let's not carry on that argument here!

52. Gin Wigmore - I Do

The lady with the most chart entries for 2010 (3 in total) lands her first at #55, with this 2nd New Zealand single from her excellent debut album Holy Smoke. It wasn't my fave song on the album to begin with, but it is good song to chill out to on a nice day, even though its all about wanting a lover back. The single version in the video sounds a little different to the album version I think, there's a bit more bass in it throughout, instead of just in the chorus and it sounds a little different at the start. Kinda cute video too.

51. Broken Bells - The High Road

In at #51 is something one might not suspect I'd like, a collaboration between James Mercer of The Shins & producer Dangermouse. Truth be told, I didn't either, but the blips & blops of the song sucked me in and this song takes me back to autumn this year. I guess cos I was listening to it a lot back then and it reminds me of that season every time I listen to it. (Especially March/April - that's spring for all you northern hemisphere folk. Remember, I am upside down after all. :P)

I'm bringing back the chart clues this year! Here's some for the next batch of 10:

- The first and last entries for someone who brought out a disappointing album last year.
- A duo who don't want to party.
- A lady with a long video.
- An all-female collaboration.
- A song that sounds better (IMO) in acoustic form than in video/remixed form.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:50 am

Woo for Vampire Weekend, their best song yet :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby MostFierce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:05 am

go Paramore
love this
MostFierce
Manager

Postby Terence » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:05 am

Agreed about Plan B - the ending spoils the song.
Amy Macdonald is excellent. I do like Temper Trap too.
Lovin' the summery laidback sound of Gin Wigmore. It reminded me of Mr Mraz's 'I'm Yours'

Karnivool sounds good too, on first listen.

Voted for Crystal Castles by the way.
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Ivica » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:50 am

61. Vampire Weekend - Giving Up The Gun

Amy's single is BRILLIANt imo! :D
Ivica
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:47 pm

Lots of songs I don't know so far. Will need to chck it later. Not a fan of the ones I know but Vampire Weekend's Giving Up The Gun & You've Got The Love aren't bad.

EDIT: I've checked almost everything. Sparkadia & Lisa Mitchell are good. I had already heard Guy Sebastian's song months ago. It's nice but a bit repetitive. From your clues, is the all female collaboration Put It In A Love Song?
Last edited by innocenteyes on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:18 pm

55. Laura Marling - Rambling Man
52. Gin Wigmore - I Do

Good start! 'You Used To Hold Me' is a great dance anthem. I also really like Gin (Wigmore). :wink:
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby UKMusicLova » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:22 pm

58. Guy Sebastian - All To Myself

These are all great tracks! I love Guy, but my favourites in this set are Plan B, Florence and Calvin! :D
UKMusicLova
Legend

Postby steophonic » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:05 pm

Virgostar wrote:65. Amy Macdonald - Don't Tell Me That It's Over
I like these.... I remember that Amy song nearly won you over! That's the highlight of the bunch for me.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Virgostar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:24 am

Today's update and then I'll put the brakes on this for a day or 2.

50. Florence & The Machine - Hurricane Drunk

Not an official single, but I kept it in my chart anyway cos I enjoy/ed it. I first heard this song around the time the album came out in Australia and I remember liking it....except HD got pushed back in the UK because they re-released Dog Days Are Over instead (which I haven't added to my chart purely because its a re-release). Probably a good idea in the end, but I would've liked to have seen this get a release cos its a good song. This is Florence's last entry.

49. John Mayer feat Taylor Swift - Half Of My Heart

A nice song (although not my fave from Battle Studies) with a boring video that strangely got me back into the song at #49. When you think of featuring artists, you think someone that dominates at least part of the song or has a verse to sing etc. In the case of this collaboration, methinks Ms Swift got gipped big time. Aside from the few lines and the "oohs" & "oh's" she sings towards the end of the song, you can barely tell she's on it...unless your ears are naked and you're otherwise not distracted, then yes, that is her singing BV's (background vocals) in the chorus.

Must say, my lord this man is a douche. I almost feel dirty for having ever had a celeb crush on him, especially after what he may or may not have done with Ms Swift herself! (I admit he's still handsome, but I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole...besides, I'd be afraid of catching some STI from him. :lol: )

48. Lady GaGa - Alejandro

The Gag (as I call her) with her one and only entry for 2010. Hated Bad Romance (I enjoy Caro Emerald's cover of it though), didn't really like Telephone either, but I did quite enjoy this. Have never bothered to sit through the entire 7 minute odd video, although when I did watch a bit of it I got irritated with her singing "Alejandro, Alejandro, Ale-ale-jan-dro, Ale-ale-jan-droooooooooooooo" over and over at the end, which nearly put me off the song.

47. The Temper Trap - Down River

Another song without an official single release, even though it got a radio release here eventually. Not a bad tune from one of my fave albums of 2009, although I still prefer Sweet Disposition & Fader singles wise.

46. Robyn - Hang With Me (Acoustic)

The first of 2 acoustic songs on my 2010 chart comes from the cool Swedish lass Robyn. Gotta say I'm not not fussed on the "remix" version of this, but this "acoustic" version is beautiful and yet again, another song of that heart-wrenching kind, but in a different sort of way. I love how this lady uses strings, it sounds soaring and pretty glorious on this...plus I do like the lyrics too. The only reason why its so low is that I've played it a bit to death and now I'm bored of it.

innocenteyes wrote:From your clues, is the all female collaboration Put It In A Love Song?
:wink:

45. Alicia Keys feat Beyonce - Put It In A Love Song

My French amigo, you are correct. Beyoncé is seemingly everywhere these days (I can't escape her! Well, sort of.) and here she is on an Alicia Keys song at #45. I think the way Beyoncé sings the title in the chorus sounds really sexy, must perfect that myself hehe. Another one I grew bored of.

44. John Mayer - Heartbreak Warfare (Acoustic)

The reason why I've included this song in its acoustic form is (a) I heard this song for the first time via an acoustic version he did on Aussie radio (unfortunately I don't have the link for it anymore cos the video got removed BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( It was a great version though. This version I've linked to is good too.) and fell in love with it (b) I don't think the normal/album version is a patch on this brilliant version and (c) I prefer this song done acoustically overall. I read in a street press review for the album that this song is based on his relationship with Jennifer Aniston....I don't know if there's any truth in that, but if so, then whoa, pretty powerful stuff here!

I have to say that IMO Battle Studies is his worst album to date....purely cos I find it so boring and Heavier Things (which is his 2nd worst album now) contains my 3 fave songs of his, so for that it escapes the title as the worst JM album according to moi. This is his last entry for 2010, although in terms of my overall EOY charts, he's either in the lead with the most songs to appear on these charts (11) or he's tied with Coldplay, who've got about 10 themselves methinks.

43. Ben Folds & Nick Hornby - From Above

Another collaboration, this time an all male one at #43, with US singer-songwriter Ben Folds teaming up with UK author Nick Hornby, who wrote the lyrics for their album Lonely Avenue. I guess its typical Ben Folds boppy stuff musically, but lyrically methinks its a bit different (although I wouldn't really know all of this since I'm not a Ben Folds afficionado)......nice to hear Aussie Kate Miller-Heidke on backing vocals, as soon as I heard this song a few times I just knew it was her, she's got a fairly distinctible voice. I do love the animated video for this, sums up the song perfectly.

42. Vampire Weekend - Cousins

Last entry for VW here. This helter-skelter song appealed to me for that very reason...its a bit manic, a bit wild, a bit nutty and I like it! (Not to mention the non-sensical lyrics.)

41. Philadelphia Grand Jury - I Don't Want To Party (Party)

In at #41 are an Aussie duo who I alluded to in my clues as being people who don't want to party. Have been hearing about The Philly Jays (as they affectionately call themselves for short) for about the last year or so, but this was the song that made me sit up and take notice of them a bit more. It's a fairly simple song, both lyrically and musically I suppose, but sometimes songs like that are great to listen to for their catchiness...and this song is pretty catchy. Plus I like the "But I'm gonna cos she's fantastic" bits.

CLUES FOR THE NEXT BATCH OF 10

- A song that sounds rather like The White Stripes (well, this and another one of this band's songs do sound TWS-esque).
- A song recently featured on an ad for a certain department store (the Aussies might get this one).
- A song with a spelt out title.
- A quirky Australian lass.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Blondini » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:35 am

Lisa Mitchell's Oh! Hark! is one of my faves of the year!

GaGa brill, Amy, T Trap, Plan B all good. Robyn OK but i prefer the full production version.
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Return to Year End Personal Charts