Shell's Charts of 2011 (COMPLETE!)

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Virgostar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:41 am

Hey all,

It's that time of the year where I add to the already gigantic Personal Chart forum traffic and add my own chart to the piece.

2011 hasn't been a great year for music as far as I'm concerned and it seems like I'm not the only one who feels that way.

This year's charts will also be the final lot of charts I put out for a while. I'm finding it increasingly tedious as the years go by (this year worse than previous years) and I need to take a break from doing this. If I'm up for it, I'll present a wee list next year, but that's a major maybe atm.

Anyway...as usual, take your pick from the polling list full of songs you won't know (or maybe you do) and for nostalgia's sake, here's my previous charts in descending order and the #1 tunes from them. Boy have my musical tastes changed over the years!

2010 (Hungry Kids of Hungary)
2009 (Empire of the Sun)
2008 (The Ting Tings)
2007 (Muse)
2006 (Fat Freddy's Drop)
2005 (Kelly Clarkson)
2004 (Franz Ferdinand)
2003 (Candice Alley)
2002 (Ms Dynamite/Shakira)

I shall get underway in a few days. Until then, have fun predicting! :P
Last edited by Virgostar on Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:34 am, edited 14 times in total.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby JimJim » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 pm

I've gone with Kimbra as my prediction.

I also think that 'Last Friday Night' and 'Moves Like Jagger' aren't proper options :lol:
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby MostFierce » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Katy Perry! :wink:
MostFierce
Manager

Postby toni_pest » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Went with Maroon 5 for #1 8-)
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:07 pm

I'm not sure Jim, Shell said in my chart she hopes I have the Moves Like Jagger! But I don't think it'll be No.1 - despite not having heard it, I'm gonna take a punt on the track that features Merriweather!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby steophonic » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:41 pm

Not sure but I have gone with Maroon 5. :)
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Why is it that the only poll choices I know are Katy Perry and Maroon 5/Christina Aguilera? :lol:

Went with Katy, though. Gotta stick with who I know. 8-)
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby adg » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:49 pm

Not sure but I've gone with Gotye/Kimbra as that's what I'm hoping will get it :wink:
adg
Superstar

Postby Virgostar » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:31 am

JimJim wrote:
I also think that 'Last Friday Night' and 'Moves Like Jagger' aren't proper options :lol:
How come? Cos everyone else has them in their polls, or cos every other song in my poll (aside from perhaps Lana Del Rey & The Kooks) is only known to, well, you and I and anybody else who follows Aussie music? Or is it something else?
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Virgostar » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:15 am

Let's kick things off.

50. Adele - Someone Like You

THE breakout artist of 2011 features here with the 2nd single from sophomore effort 21. Never got into Rolling In The Deep, although I did try. I have to admit I absolutely cannot stand this song anymore, she sounds tortured in the chorus. As glad as I am to see someone of her talent become big, I'm rather over her and her music in general.

49. Bruno Mars - Grenade

Another #1 hit that I'm also over. (Gosh this is beginning to sound like my worst chart instead of my best songs chart!) Haven't got any further comment to make about this, so let's move on....

48. Birds of Tokyo - Wild At Heart (VEVO link)
Non-VEVO link

This Perth band featured in my 2010 chart with The Saddest Thing I Know, now they're here in 2011 with the follow up to their hit Plans. Although this wasn't anywhere near as successful chart wise, it still got enough airplay methinks.

47. Olly Murs feat Rizzle Kicks - Heart Skips A Beat

Gonna wing it with the comments on this one. I started seeing this pop up on a fair few UKMIXers personal charts several months back and I figured since people were talking about it, why not check it out? Although it hasn't charted highly here, I'm still glad I heard it, nice bit of pop muzak. I think like a lot of songs this year, I just grew bored of it.

46. Art vs Science - With Thoughts

After featuring in my worst songs chart for the last 2 years, OMG, A vs S finally create a decent song! I have to admit, when I first heard this, I had no idea it was them, it just didn't sound like the crap they've produced in the past. The song itself sounds a bit trippy and the animated video adds to it IMO.

45. The Wombats - Techno Fan

I haven't got too much to say here, other than its another decent effort from them and its better than Jump Into The Fog IMO.

44. Katy B - Easy Please Me

Katy B's only entry here and the only single I've liked from this era of her's. Haven't got much else to say for this one either, sorry...so woo or boo appropriately.

43. Stonefield - Black Water Rising

Time for some chick rock courtesy of 4 young sisters from Victoria, who won Triple J's Unearthed High competition last year. They have since gone on to play at Glastonbury of all places and have recently supported Foo Fighters on their tour here. There aren't many singing drummers around these days, but singer/drummer Amy Findlay can count herself within that group...although she does sound girly, she sure can tear it up, as evidenced on this song. I first fell in love with this song about 6 or so months ago, before they even released it as a single and made the video for it...but once it got a release, I played the heck of it and inevitably, boredom towards this song set in. Still, I wish I could figure out the words to this tune!

42. Mike Posner - Please Don't Go

Argh, another one I don't have pre-prepared comments for. Oh well. I much preferred this to Cooler Than Me, which kinda irritated me a little bit. Moving on...

41. Children Collide - Loveless

Aussie rockers Children Collide are no strangers to my chart and here they are again this year. I think I need to check out both their albums at some stage, since they've had about 4 songs on my chart over the last few years. I have to admit I really wasn't sold on this song at first, but the awesome video clip directed by David Michôd (who directed the critically acclaimed film Animal Kingdom) got it over the line for me. This clip is one of my favourites for 2011. Do yourself a favour & check the video out. (Or check out the re-created version featuring Triple J identity & Frenzal Rhomb member The Doctor, if you wish.)

Chart clues are back for 2011! Here's what you can expect from the next 10:

- One of my favourite artists featuring twice!
- A fairly big dance hit.
- A song used in a critically acclaimed TV show.
- 2 acts who featured in my chart last year.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:23 am

Virgostar wrote:50. Adele - Someone Like You
49. Bruno Mars - Grenade
Good start :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby steophonic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:20 am

Classic song from Adele, even if it has been overplayed this year. I got over "Grenade" pretty quickly, to the stage that it annoys me now!

Olly Murs/Rizzle Kicks are great and Katy B. My favourite is Wombats though.... great to see them charting inside another top 50!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby toni_pest » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:40 pm

49. Bruno Mars - Grenade

Love these three, great start :D
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby MostFierce » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:01 pm

excellent combo!
Adele, Bruno, Olly Murs, Mike Posner and Katy B..
MostFierce
Manager

Postby Spartan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:28 pm

Adele, Bruno, Olly and Posner are my favourites there!! :)
Spartan
Legend

Postby innocenteyes » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Voted for Kimbra, even though I'm always wrong when it comes to predicting your #1s :lol:.

Yay for Olly & Adele from your list but why did you include SLY & Grenade if you're bored of them?
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Terence » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Voted for Gotye/Kimbra!

Lovin' Olly Murs, Adele, Bruno Mars & Mike Posner!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Looked at some of your previous charts, interesting...not fussed too much on any of those tbh [although Adele's is ok], I await to see what's higher! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:01 am

innocenteyes wrote:
Yay for Olly & Adele from your list but why did you include SLY & Grenade if you're bored of them?
To make up the numbers I guess? *shrugs* I guess I also couldn't be bothered adding anything else, even though there are several other songs that could've charted instead.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Tiger » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:35 am

45. The Wombats - Techno Fan
49. Bruno Mars - Grenade

Lana Del Rey - Video Games

NO! Those are too good!
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby adg » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:27 am

49. Bruno Mars - Grenade

woo for these :)
adg
Superstar

Postby Frederic » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:54 am

Yay for Adele and Bruno M!
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Postby Benjamin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Yay for Adele, Bruno Mars and Katy B! :)
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:36 pm

"Someone Like You", "Grenade", and "Heart Skips A Beat" are all amazing. :)
And the category is: LIVE. WORK. POSE!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:18 am

40. Dionne Bromfield - Foolin'

Coming in at #40 is the late Amy Winehouse's talented goddaughter. Another case of UKMIXers talking about someone and me deciding "what the heck, I'll check them out"...and again, being glad I did. I prefer the non-Lil Twist version, his rap doesn't really add much to the song IMO. I think this girl's got a lot going for her and hopefully she'll be every bit as big as her late godmother in the years to come. Just hope she doesn't go the same way as Amy. There's one more song from Dionne to come in this countdown.

39. Washington - Holy Moses
NON-VEVO LINK

The Aussie lady who had my #2 song of 2010 (Rich Kids) is back with a brand new single in 2011, the first from her Insomnia EP and from the international version of her debut album I Believe You Liar. The best way I'd describe this is it's catchy to begin with, yet there's something about it IMO that doesn't quite hook you in fully. I know it took several listens for me to get into it and personally, I think the verses musically are better than the chorus. Not quite as good as the singles released from IBYL in Australia IMO, but a decent effort nonetheless and kudos to Megs for using the kazoo in the song. This also is probably her best video to date, so a big DAMN YOU VEVO on behalf of those who may not get to watch it.

38. Art vs Science - Finally See Our Way

Holy shizzle my nizzles, Art vs Science have not 1 but 2 (!!!!) songs in my best of chart! What is this world coming to...anyway, I'll give the band kudos for coming up with some interesting videos. Or at least give their directors kudos for coming up with interesting videos. At least they set themselves apart from all the highly sexualised videos we see these days....

37. Calvin Harris feat Kelis - Bounce

The first of 2 entries from the Scotsman this year. It wasn't until I began to like Feel So Close that this song registered more on my musical radar...plus I kept hearing it a lot (since it was a top 10 hit here), so I got into it that way. Can't say I'm fussed on his Rihanna collaboration though!

36. Flight Facilities feat Jess - Foreign Language

They featured last year with Crave You at #39 and here they are again this year 3 places higher. Despite this, IMO this isn't quite as good as Crave You, but it's still kinda groovy, especially in the chorus. The official video for this (which has only been uploaded in the last few days - see the link I posted above :wink: ) is very 70's TV show-like, but there's no dialogue, only opening credits...not sure if it fits in with the song, but I guess it works due to the disco-y feel of the song itself.

35. Brooke Fraser - Betty

The 2nd single from Brooke's 3rd effort Flags comes in at #35. Unlike Romain, I actually think Something In The Water (#5 on my 2010 chart) is better, although this isn't too bad either. Although the video is a bit, well, boring, I still love the little shrug and eyebrow raise she does around the 0:53 mark....and I still love the opening line "You've got a quick snap lock on your cold cold heart". This isn't about anyone in particular, but it is about this supposed "über cool" girl who hides things from people, like the birth mark mentioned in the song. Here's a further explanation of the song.

34. Alexis Jordan - Good Girl

Coming in at #34 was the floppish 2nd single to Alexis' big hit Happiness. Obviously I do like this song, but man does it have some naff lyrics....like this from the first verse "you got what it takes, you better have some cake"...still, not quite as bad as the lyrics to Friday! (Although anything could be better than the lyrics to that song.)

33. Emma Louise - Jungle

In at #33 is a young Australian artist from Queensland who I got to see support Josh Pyke back in September. It was at that very gig that I began to like this song, despite hearing it on Triple J for months beforehand. Amazingly, what you hear here is EXACTLY what you get live (although she has longer hair now compared to the video)...when she performed this at the gig it sounded note perfect to the recorded version, which I think is a rare thing these days. This song was used in the Australian mini-series The Slap, based on the controversial novel of the same name by Greek-Australian authors Christos Tsiolkas; and was also featured in an episode of the MTV show Awkward. I'd say she's one to watch over the coming year or so.

32. Julia Stone - Catastrophe!

One half of the brother & sister duo that is Angus & Julia Stone appears on her own here with a track from her solo album The Memory Machine. This caught my ear one day or night on the radio, I quite liked the upbeat feel and the use of strings and horns in it. A nice tune, but not spectacular.

31. Brooke Fraser - Coachella

Brooke's 2nd and final entry for the chart and 3rd single from Flags. I didn't realise she'd done a video for this song until I was re-watching the Betty clip one night and stumbled across it. Admittedly it's not my favourite song on the album and most of the time I skip it and go to the next track (my fave tune from Flags, Jack Kerouac), but it does make for a nice single I guess. This of course is written about her favourite music festival (Coachella Music Festival in the US, held every April?) and a place that inspired her to start writing this 3rd album of her's (a further explanation about the song here).

Coming up in the next batch of 10...

- Someone who had a big hit last year.
- Some Aussie hip-hop.
- 2 acts who have already featured on my chart this year.
- A duo who had a catchy yet kinda irritating tune on my chart years ago.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Return to Year End Personal Charts