Deconstructing Leo: Lisa Loeb Top 40 Complete!

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Wardo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:25 am

I totally forgot about Everything!!! :o

Beautiful song, Alanis is so effortlessly good!
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:31 am

Wardo wrote:I totally forgot about Everything!!! :o

Beautiful song, Alanis is so effortlessly good!
I think you've found a good way of representing Alanis! Her lyrics and music flow effortlessly, I agree. Thanks for that.
leomedar
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:34 am

Glad you like SCC, I think that one will definitely appear on a revised list of mine now, it sounds so different to the rest of the album, perhaps that's why it took longer to work it's magic, not sure! :D In fact this album is underrated imo.

Wardo, download the song and the play the life out of it now!! :lol: :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:22 pm

BONUS TRACK - ALANIS TOP 7 ALBUMs - Part I: 7 to 4

7. Feast On Scraps (2002) - My rating: 71.3

As wikipedia says, this is an album with B-sides and unreleased studio tracks left off Morissette's album Under Rug Swept. The sound is quite different from that album, so even if some songs are great (my #3 is there, Simple Together) I understand why there were left behind.
As many B-Sides albums, it has ups and downs, but all in all it is a diverse set with outstanding songs in it.

6. Havoc And Bright Lights (2012) - My rating: 75.8

Alanis' last effort is a good album, but I agree with some people that she kind of play it safe here. I like how motherhood calmed her down a little bit, although when you listen to some of the B-sides ('No' for example) you can see that she is still there :wink: .
I think it is a nice collection but I am expecting something more challenging for the next one.

5. Under Rug Swept (2002) - My rating: 75.9

Alanis' third international album is packed with a more pop sound. The cover art kind of predicted it. It was a good move.
Hands clean is great, then all the rest are GOOD songs but not blowminding imo, and that's why I kind of moved foward quite fast from this when it was released. In time I realized it was better than my original feeling and now I like it , find it a solid effort.

4. Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (1998) - My rating: 76.8

I LOVE the cover, her smile is magical. It must have been extremely hard to relelase this album after the phenomenal success of JLP. I think she was very brave to come up with such a solid set of songs that were not just a copy/paste of her previous style. A more mature sound and lyrics. I really like this album from beginning to end.
Last edited by leomedar on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:55 pm

Feast & Havoc are placed about right I love the other two, it looks like Flavours & SCC re not underrated here though, so yay!!! :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:20 pm

BONUS TRACK - ALANIS TOP 7 ALBUMs' Top 3

3. So Called Chaos (2004) - My rating: 77.5

I find this album a good mixture of Under Rug Swept's pop sound and previous Alanis' more rock sound. Everything is superb, and there are many other great songs. Apart from them, So Challed Chaos and The Couch are nice and less obvious tunes which is refreshing.

2. Flavors Of Entanglement (2008) - My rating: 78.0

I was very pleased when this came out. I think it is a very solid record, on the line of Supposed Former Infatuatio Junkie but more cohesive and brilliant.
I like ALL the songs, including the Delixe Version ones, which is something difficult to acomplish.
This album was mainly written after a painful break-up of Alanis, and I think that mourn helped her in order to deliver a deep and heartful set of songs.

1. Jagged Little Pill (1995) - My rating: 88.8

What to say about this... a MASTERPIECE. It was released when I was 15/16 and capture my attention fast. There are so many favourites (checking my top 10 it is quite obvious).
I'm glad she was strong enough not to be swallowed by the crazyness she went through during that time. I also thank India, terror, silence and all the things that helped her. This album will remain as one of my all time favourites.
I nominated it for the first Album Cup where it managed a Top 10 placing. I think the rules didn't help (random.org chose the sequencing) but it did a good job.
leomedar
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:25 pm

Great top 3! Jagged is overrated for me although it's a good album.

My top 3 are Flavors, SCC and SFIJ. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Wardo » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:29 pm

leomedar wrote:I nominated it for the first Album Cup where it managed a Top 10 placing. I think the rules didn't help (random.org chose the sequencing) but it did a good job.
True, this album should get a second chance in the future! The first 2 cups were really tough.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:41 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Great top 3! Jagged is overrated for me although it's a good album.
My top 3 are Flavors, SCC and SFIJ. :D
Good top 3!

When reading the names of the songs in JLP I find it such a perfect set.

All I Really Want
You Oughta Know
Perfect
Hand In My Pocket
Right Through You
Forgiven
You Learn
Head Over Feet
Mary Jane
Ironic
Not The Doctor
Wake Up

Before rating all her songs, I though SFIJ was going to be my #1, but then JLP was not only the best album, it also leads the pack by a 10+ points margin. And I think it is fair. Probably SFIJ has a negative point which is the fact that it has 17 songs. I think 12-14 is the optimum length.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:27 pm

The second post is updated with Alanis entries.

She is now leading both the Top Artist and Top Album lists, but with only 3 artists revisited. Anyway, the lead in TOP album is considerable! I think she will be there for a long time...
Last edited by leomedar on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby RalphyS » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:21 am

"Uninvited" is such an amazing song, can't believe that such a crappy movie sparked 2 such great songs (along with Iris from The Goo Goo Dolls)!

"You oughta know" remains my absolute favourite though!
RalphyS
Manager

Postby leomedar » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:19 am

RalphyS wrote:"Uninvited" is such an amazing song, can't believe that such a crappy movie sparked 2 such great songs (along with Iris from The Goo Goo Dolls)!

"You oughta know" remains my absolute favourite though!
Yes, Uninvited is great.

And it was in between JLP and SFIJ. I remember being so eager to listen to new Alanis music that when it came out I was obsessed. It was a perfect song to calm me down and be patient lol.

Thanks for sharing your views.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Alicia Keys' TOP 30: Part 1

Alicia is an artist that caught my eye early on her career but that had to grow on me. It was not love at first sight although since the begining I liked some of her stuff. Here I'll present her top 30 songs.

30. Never Felt This Way (Interlude) (Songs In A Minor)
Piano + Alicia just to start her countdown.

29. Troubles (Songs In A Minor)
Another smooth one. I like to listen to some Alicia when I get from work and need to slow down.

28. Like You'll Never See Me Again (As I Am)
The viodeo is kind of a punch in your stomach, but the song is sweet. Another slow jam... we'll need to speed things up a little :wink:

27. If I Was Your Woman/Walk On By (Diary Of Alicia Keys)
This was the album that made me a fan. This song in particular caught my attention.

26. A Woman's Worth (Songs In A Minor)
I HATED this song. After Falling, it was kind of a letdown for me. In time I learnt to like it, and it even managed to be in my top 30 now.

25. Superwoman (As I Am)
A little too much of a girly song, but all in all I like it. I like her voice here.

24. Put It In A Love Song (feat. Beyoncé) (The Element Of Freedom)
Why this video never saw the light of day is beyond me. I really like this song.

23. Wake Up (Diary Of Alicia Keys)

22. It's on Again (feat. Pharrell & Kendrick Lamar
I was expecting more from these three, but it is a good song.

21. How It Feels To Fly (The Element Of Freedom)
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Alicia Keys' TOP 30: Part 2

20. Goodbye (Songs In A Minor)

19. Lovin U (Songs In A Minor)
Very nice R&B song.

18. New Day (Girl On Fire)
I like this solo version, not the one with rappers.

17. When You Really Love Someone (Diary Of Alicia Keys)

16. Un-thinkable (I'm Ready) (The Element Of Freedom)
I was confused by The Element album at the begining, but in time I realized it is packed with great R&B songs, such as this one.

15. That's How Strong My Love Is (The Element Of Freedom)

14. Karma (Diary Of Alicia Keys)
When Diary was released, it was all about Karma for me. Fantastic song. Her videos are nice.

13. Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart (The Element Of Freedom)
Another cool video, NY is my second fav city in the world (Buenos Aires is the first one :wink: )

12. Doesn't Mean Anything (The Element Of Freedom)
The only bad thing about AK is that her songs tend to sound the same at one point. Nevertheless, they are beautiful and her voice is a pleasure so I don't necesarily mind about that.
I had to live in Chile for 6 months separated from my wife. It was a very important thing for my career, but at the same time was the hardest ever. This song, although it is a different situation, makes me remember a lot about my feelings back then.

11. Diary (feat. Tony! Toni! Toné!) (Diary Of Alicia Keys)
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Alicia Keys' TOP 30: Part 3

10. Girl On Fire (Girl On Fire)
A standout from her last album. Like the drums a lot.

9. You Don't Know My Name (Diary Of Alicia Keys)
IMO it was a very original single to present her second album.

8. Wait Til You See My Smile (The Element Of Freedom)
A more classic Alicia here, but I find this song beautiful.

7. Tell You Something (Nana's Reprise) (As I Am)
Great lyrics.

6. Empire State Of Mind (Part II) Broken Down (The Element Of Freedom)
Perfect.

5. Wild Horses (feat. Adam Levine) (Unplugged)
Love this version. Great cover.

4. If I Ain't Got You (Diary Of Alicia Keys)
A little cliché, but a great song.

3. No One (As I Am)
Loved this song since it came out. The lyrics, the voice. Alcia is very passionate here.

2. Fallin' (Songs In A Minor)
A perfect intorduction for this lady. Love the song. I became a fan only when Diary was released, but this song was outstanding.

1. Empire State Of Mind (with Jay-Z)
LOVE it. I love New York, and this song is excellent.
I have seen some non-love for this one here in UKMix... I want to believe it is because it was huge and sometimes people hate songs that become big. I think it is flawless.
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:52 am

BONUS TRACK - ALICIA KEYS' TOP ALBUMS

5. As I Am (2007) - My rating: 73.5

Although I really like No One and a couple more of the songs here, I think this album is packed with many average tracks.

4. Girl On Fire (2012) - My rating: 74.2

Her sound is nice, she manages to make songs that I enjoy, but in this effort I ended up feeling that something was missing. Again a couple of great tracks saved the album, but left me feeling not so eager for new music. Maybe in one year time I'll be ready to embrace new songs, or maybe she can surprise me and deliver a new sound that wins me over again.

3. Songs In A Minor (2001) - My rating: 76.5

I didn't remember liking this album this much :o Fallin' is superb and has many beautiful songs in it. A great first album.

2. Diary Of Alicia Keys (2003) - My rating: 80.8

Before starting this countdown, I was pretty sure this would have been my #1 album. This was the one that made me a fan of Alicia. the sound is a little more risky. Great singles and fantastic album tracks.

1. The Element Of Freedom (2009) - My rating: 81.5

I was surprised to see it at #1. When I first heard this album, I was disinchanted. Her previous effort, As I Am, was kind of a let down and I wanted more challenges from her. The first two singles were kind of flat. But the disadvantages, in time, became strengths. When I revisited the album I realized almost all songs were great and loved the sound and the voice and the lyrics.

How I met... Alicia Keys

It was watching E! News Daily that I saw an interview to this rising star that was still about to release her first album. Then I heard Fallin' and decided that I needed that album. I bought it as soon as it was released here in Argentina, but my initial feelings were mixed. I was a little bored, and soon the album was forgoten in my cd tower. When Diary came out I bought it and that's when I really heard her. I like ALicia very much, but I need her to take more risks and change her sound a little bit.
Last edited by leomedar on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby Wardo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:15 am

30. Never Felt This Way (Interlude) Good choice to start the countdown!

29. Troubles AMAZING!!! Her first album is still her best.

28. Like You'll Never See Me Again Not a big fan.

27. If I Was Your Woman/Walk On By The instrumental here is sick!

26. A Woman's Worth I really like it, though in small doses.

25. Superwoman The chorus sometimes puts me off, but piano notes are awesome.

24. Put It In A Love Song (feat. Beyoncé) I like their energy but it's not memorable.

23. Wake Up Nice choice :)

22. It's on Again (feat. Pharrell & Kendrick Lamar Urgh, this is so weak!

21. How It Feels To Fly Meeeh

20. Goodbye Superb, it gives me chills.

19. Lovin U Always loved it, along the years I kind of forgot it though.

18. New Day EW! :-?

17. When You Really Love Someone This is one of my favorites. The whole track is phenomenal.

16. Un-thinkable (I'm Ready) When the first notes start I feel something down my stomach. Beautiful, beautiful!

15. That's How Strong My Love Is Ohh this is great! Such a crescendo in the structure, love it!

14. Karma I can see while people like it, but it was never between my faves.

13. Try Sleeping With A Broken Heart This is ace. Killer beat!

12. Doesn't Mean Anything It's a strong song, but I agree, it does sound like other by her.

11. Diary (feat. Tony! Toni! Toné!) Fantastic! The collaboration really took it to another level.

10. Girl On Fire This is tiring! Sounds like a rehash of No One...

9. You Don't Know My Name I agree, such a different tune. Love the spoken part!

8. Wait Til You See My Smile The piano here is lovely, isn't it? Good #8!

7. Tell You Something (Nana's Reprise) Indeed good lyrics, still not her best material IMO.

6. Empire State Of Mind (Part II) Broken Down I like it, she's so creative!!!

5. Wild Horses (feat. Adam Levine) Oh unexpected! I like it and when I bought the album it was one of my faves - I can't say I listen to it regularly though.

4. If I Ain't Got You Yeah great single.

[size=135]3. No One Mixed feelings about it, it's good in its simplicity but the overplay can't be ignored.

[size=135]2. Fallin' What a debut, right?

1. Empire State Of Mind (with Jay-Z) It's good but it wouldn't even appear inside my Top 30 tbh.

It's hard to rank her albums (Element, As I Am and The Diary have awesome moments), but I still think her debut is unparalleled. So young but so mature in the songwriting - and musically it was very different from everything at that time.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Serby » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:22 am

Wardo wrote:14. Karma I can see while people like it, but it was never between my faves.
Wardo, pay attention very good to the beginning and those oooh oh ohs. Sounds familiar? :P I'm so interested to see if you'll recognise it!
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby leomedar » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:24 am

Wardo wrote: It's hard to rank her albums (Element, As I Am and The Diary have awesome moments), but I still think her debut is unparalleled. So young but so mature in the songwriting - and musically it was very different from everything at that time.
Thanks Wardo for your comments! Great to know your opinions on the songs!

Regarding her first album, although it is not my #1 I agree it was very different from all the other artists back then and that she sounds much more mature than her age. It was indeed a really strong debut album.
leomedar
Legend

Postby Wardo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 am

Serby wrote:
Wardo wrote:14. Karma I can see while people like it, but it was never between my faves.
Wardo, pay attention very good to the beginning and those oooh oh ohs. Sounds familiar? :P I'm so interested to see if you'll recognise it!
The song you presented in The Apprentice! :o

I didn't recognize the sample at first!
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby Serby » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Wardo wrote:
Serby wrote:
The song you presented in The Apprentice! :o

I didn't recognize the sample at first!
Correct. :D tbh, I had no idea that ooh oh ohs were sampled, especially not from an Alicia Keys song, and honestly, I haven't even heard of this song before I went to check it for the sample. Probably wouldn't recognise it anyway.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby leomedar » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:27 am

Alison Krauss' TOP 20: Part 1

Moving on to a lesser known but fantastic artist, here I'll present Alison Krauss (and sometimes with the band Union Station) Top 20.

20. When You Say Nothing At All (Now That I've Found You)
I knew this song from some european boyband. I like her version, the sweetness and the calmness of her voice.

19. Borderline (Lonely Runs Both Ways)
This is not a Madonna cover!

18. Missing You (with John Waite) (A Hundred Miles Or More: A Collection)
I love Tina Turner's version. This one is more relaxed and it is nice.

17. A Living Prayer (Lonely Runs Both Ways)

16. Daylight (Home On The Highways)

15. Rain Please Go Away (Lonely Runs Both Ways)
Fantastic bluegrass song by Union Station. Love it.

14. Stay (Forget About It)
Lovely lyrics.

13. Somewhere In The Vicinity Of The Heart (with Shenandoah) (Duets)

12. You're Just A Country Boy (A Hundred Miles Or More: A Collection)
I really love this angel voiced song.

11. Forget About It (Forget About It)
Forget about it when forever's over
I won't remember how much I loved you anymore
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:56 pm

Alison Krauss' TOP 20: Part 2

10. Down To The River To Prayl (A Hundred Miles Or More: A Collection)
I'm not religious, but I feel so moved.

9. Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven (I Know Who Holds Tomorrow)
It's true, I also want to go to heaven but I don't wanna die! Love the song.

8. Goodbye Is All We Have (Lonely Runs Both Ways)

7. Doesn't Have To Be This Way (Lonely Runs Both Ways)
Lovely lyrics... the violin is also beautiful.
Sometimes I wonder where you're coming from
When you roll in like thunder just to turn around and run
It's a good thing I don't need you to stay

6. Crazy As Me (Lonely Runs Both Ways)
No link for this beautiful song!!!
Some folks seem to think I only got one problem.
I can't find nobody as crazy as me.

5. Simple Love (A Hundred Miles Or More: A Collection)
Another sweet song, nice story.

4. If I Didn't Know Any Better (Lonely Runs Both Ways)
I turned around, before I could run
I found you already settled down in the back of my mind

I LOVE this opening lines...

3. Gravity (Lonely Runs Both Ways)
And the people who love me still ask me
"When are you coming back to town?"
And I answer quite frankly
"When they stop buildin' roads"

2. Buy Me A Rose (with Kenny Rogers) (Duets)
A simple and effective country song.

1. Whiskey Lullaby (with Brad Paisley) (A Hundred Miles Or More: A Collection)
I find this song PERFECT. The lyrics, the story, the voice. This is the reason why I started to really like Alison.
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:07 pm

Closing Alison Krauss' section, I am not completely into her whole discography so I won't present a Top Albums.

She is a bluegrass singer and, although I enjoy her music a lot, many songs tend to sound the same when you listen to them all together. Nevertheless, I want to present two specific albums from Alison that I really like as a whole

(I just realized I didn't rank her album with Robert Plant!!! I'll leave this to the very end of this complete deconstruction of myself, when I'll probably present some albums outside of these 60 artists named in my first post.)

1. Lonely Runs Both Ways (2004) - My rating: 79.5
Out of the 15 songs that are in the set, 8 ranked in my top 20. I feel it was her first bluegrass album that was not so bluegrass, and therefore I could find many many songs that I loved. It is a simple set anyway, and that is what I like about it. no big pretentious album, just a lady singing and a band playing.

2. A Hundred Miles Or More: A Collection (2007) - My rating: 76.8
Out of the 16 songs that are in the set, 5 ranked in my top 20. This is the album that made me an Alison Krauss suporter. Whiskey Lullaby is just a perfect country song, those that tells you a heartbreaking story.

How I Met... Alison Krauss

When I moved in with my wife, we both had big itunes libraries. I discovered A Hundred Miles... by searching her songs, and fell in love with the voice and the stories. I downloaded the rest of her discography and find some amazing songs among those albums. I really like Alison's voice and enjoy listening to her sotries once in a while.

You can find updated my second post with Alcia and Alison's info in Top Artists and Top Albums.
Last edited by leomedar on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:14 pm

Amos Lee's TOP 20: Part 1

20. Supply And Demand (Supply And Demand)
I think this song quite summarizes Amos' sound and lyrics skills.
Brother, you need a plan, oh, to understand
That life aint only supply and demand

19. Freedom (Supply And Demand)
Don't wanna blame the rich for what they got
Don't point a finger at the poor for what they have not
Though the politician and the priest
Live in the belly of the beast because we fed it

18. Better Days (Lonely Runs Both Ways)

17. The Man Who Wants You (Mountains of Sorrow, Rivers of Song)

16. Chill in the Air (Mountains of Sorrow, Rivers of Song)

15. Windows Are Rolled Down (Mission Bell)
I like some cool country sound like in this song. I can picture myself in a countryside house.

14. Mountains of Sorrow (with Patty Griffin) (Mountains of Sorrow, Rivers of Song)

13. Listen (Last Days At The Lodge)

12. Love In The Lies Of A Lonely Friend (Amos Lee)

11. Arms Of A Woman (Amos Lee)
This is the type of song and sound that captured my attention.
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
leomedar
Legend

Return to Personal Charts