Deconstructing Leo: Lisa Loeb Top 40 Complete!

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:23 am

Pieces of You is a great track! I also like a few songs on 0304. What was that song in Wardo's Song Collectors game recently? That was pretty good too. :D
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby leomedar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:29 am

CrazyCrazy wrote:Pieces of You is a great track! I also like a few songs on 0304. What was that song in Wardo's Song Collectors game recently? That was pretty good too. :D
It was Who Will Save Your Soul, it'll be somewhere here tomorrow :wink:

That was her first single and the one that opened some doors from her (and the reason why I bought her album), although her big breakthrough came with You Were Meant For Me and Foolish Games.
leomedar
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:41 am

leomedar wrote:
CrazyCrazy wrote:Pieces of You is a great track! I also like a few songs on 0304. What was that song in Wardo's Song Collectors game recently? That was pretty good too. :D
Maybe CC was thinking of Sweet Dreams? :lol: I think WWSYS was in some other Wardo game as far as I remember.

I love a lot of songs from this latest batch. Innocence Maintained, Pieces of You, Life Uncommon and most of all Near You Always <3
Carbon
Legend

Postby leomedar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:03 am

mrlemonade wrote:
leomedar wrote:
Maybe CC was thinking of Sweet Dreams? :lol: I think WWSYS was in some other Wardo game as far as I remember.

I love a lot of songs from this latest batch. Innocence Maintained, Pieces of You, Life Uncommon and most of all Near You Always <3
Yes! You are right! Crazy, it was Sweet Dreams that mrlemonade sent for The Song Collectors S2. WWSYS was an entry in The UKMIX Apprentice. Thanks for correcting it! Sweet will not be here later :oops:

I can see you liking more the top 20 as almost no country songs are here! :lol:
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:28 pm

Jewel's TOP 50: Part 5

10. Good Day (Goodbye Alice In Wonderland)
Sad that for such a great and uplifting song she chose to do a cheesy video.

The point of it all
Is that if I should fall
Still you're name I'll call
As long as we laugh out loud
Laugh like we're mad
Cause this crazy, mixed up beauty is all that we have
Because what's love but an itch we can't scratch, a joke we can't catch
God, but still we laugh

9. Standing Still (This Way)
I liked this single a lot, so much plugged, with country falvors, something good after two rather unplugged albums. I needed a change although her first two albums were great.

8. Absence Of Fear (Spirit)
I love this song. A sweet poem. I always pictured a birth while listening to this song.

7. You Were Meant For Me (Pieces Of You)
I love this song. So beautiful and simple. The Sean Penn video version is just awful, won't share the link. This version nor Sean Penn's one is the album one... she did that for many singles during her first 2 albums, overproducing the single version while presenting a raw and stripped down version in the album. In all cases but one, the album version is better. In this case, althouigh the album version is superior, she did a good job.

6. Foolish Games (Pieces Of You)
This is the only case imo where the radio edit is better than the album version. I do like that, it is more piano driven, but a little too long. This version is perfect, the final part really touches me.

5. Hands (Spirit)
Ok, I think I have told this story before but I'll repeat it.

I was obsessed about Jewel releasing a follow up to Pieces Of You. No interenet back then, so it was just a question of checking MTV and E! all the time to find some news... but nothing.
It was summer and I was in Uruguay. And a song started to play on the radio. It was Jewel! I was sure about that. I loved the song so much, it was so different than her previous work. Very pop, not folk/unplugged at all. I was there and spent the whole month listening to the radio waiting for that song to play again. It was played quite a lot, but nobody ever said the name of the song nor the artist...
Got back to BA and went to the record store. No Jewel news anywhere. I was devastated... And then... radio, the song started to play, and then I found out the truth: it was Natalie Imbuglia's Torn... ALL summer thinkng it was Jewel!!!

But then God heard my prayers. I was watching a Dawson's Creek episode, I think from season 2. And the ending song was Hands. I didn't mistake her for anyone then, it was her. And I loved the song.

4. Morning Song (Pieces Of You)
An extremely sweet and lovely song.

You can drink your coffee with sugar and cream
I'll drink my decaf herbal tea
Pretend we're perfect strangers and that we've never met...
you remind me of a man I used to sleep with
that's a face I'd never forget
You can be Henry Miller and I'll be Anais Nin
Except this time it'll be even better,
We'll stay together in the end

3. Goodbye Alice In Wonderland (Goodbye Alice In Wonderland)
Ever since I heard this song I fell in love with it. I love the honesty behind each line. She outdid herself here.

It's four in the afternoon
I'm on a flight leaving L.A.
Trying to think about my life
My youth scattered along the highway

Hotel rooms and headlights
I've made a living with a song
Guitar as my companion
Wanting desperately to belong

Fame is filled with spoiled children
We grow fat on fantasy
I guess that's why I'm leaving
I crave reality

So goodbye Alice in Wonderland
Goodbye yellow brick road
There is a difference between dreaming and pretending
I did not find paradise
It was only a reflection of my lonely mind wanting
What's been missing in my life

I'm embarassed to say the rest is a rock and roll cliche
I hit the bottom when I reached the top
But I never knew it was you who was breaking my heart
I thought you had to love me
But you did not

Yes a heart can hallucinate
If it's completely starved for love
It can even turn monsters into
Angels from above

You forged my love just like a weapon
And you turned it against me like a knife
You broke my last heartstring
You opened up my eyes

2. I Won't Walk Away (This Way)
Beautiful. Love this song. It's been a fav since the first time I listened to it. Should have been a single isntead of Break Me. I would have loved a beautiful video here. The part around 2:40 is exciting.

1. Who Will Save Your Soul (Pieces Of You)
Debut single. Love it a lot, probably because it takes me back to those years.

So we pray to as many different gods as there are flowers, but we call it religion our friend
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby Carbon » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:59 am

Great top 10, I like and love all songs here.

I think Morning Song is my fave Jewel song, Goodybe Alice is great, my 2nd fave from that album after Again and Again, and the rest is also stuff I like a lot. Can't really get into the This Way songs, but they are solid songs. I agree about the cheesy Good Day video. :(
Carbon
Legend

Postby Benny » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:04 am

Foolish Games & You Were Meant For Me are so beautiful. :cry:
Benny
Legend

Postby leomedar » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:26 pm

BONUS TRACK - JEWEL's TOP ALBUMS

7. 0304 (2003) - My rating: 72.9
I was somehow dissapointed by this one. I think as a one time only it is ok for her to do such a pop album, the thing is that songs here sound uninspired. All in all it is a fine album, but no special highlights.

6. Perfectly Clear (2008) - My rating: 76.8
First 100% country effort. I think it was organic for her to go this way. Maybe she should have challenge herself a little more. She has much better country songs in Goodbye or in This way!

5. Sweet & Wild (2010) - My rating: 77.0
Second country effort. Quite similar, nice, but no stand-out track.

4. Goodbye Alice In Wonderland (2006) - My rating: 82.5
I think this album is underrated. The title song is so beautiful! and then some other songs there with great country vibes. As I strated before, this album has much better country songs than her country albums.

3. This Way (2001) - My rating: 83.3
Great album. I love the fact she did a more polished and produced album here, in comparison to her previous sets. I know that those sets are better ranked here, but I think a third pop-folk album would have been too much. Now I am ready for her to go back to that sound!
This way has many beautiful songs, in particular I Won't Walk Away. Love that one.

2. Spirit (1998) - My rating: 83.5
Great album, although I had mixed feelings when it was released. It lacks identity somehow, it is in the middle between a Pieces Of You 2 and This Way. Some great songs save it.

1. Pieces Of You (1995) - My rating: 84.1
Beautiful album. Raw. Inspired. Personal. Original. Surprising that such a folk and underproduced album reached so high! Without a couple of not-so-good songs, this album would have been a classic. But it is great anyway.

How I Met... Jewel

Around mid 95s I heard about her in MTV News. But I couldn't find the album here in Argentina. Taht October I went to New York with my familiy. First time there for me, a place that I loved then and still love with all my heart. I bought soooo many records! They were very cheap for us, so I was like a maniac. I saw her album and rememebered her name. I was very surprised by her style and became instantly hooked.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:56 pm

biscuits wrote:I comment tomorrow
:D And that was a week ago! I know you are busy biscs, read it in another forum, but feel free to comment on Janet's rank whenever you want!

Glad you like those two songs Benny! They are beautiful!
leomedar
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:12 am

My album ranking would be pretty much the same as yours :D but I'd put Lullaby at 2nd place in between PoY and Spirit, and I switch the order of the last three albums, so:

6. 0304 (I agree with you, a lot of it is uninspired, the lyrics seem dumbed down and the production is horribly dated and cheesy, BUT it has some good stuff there too. Intuition, Stand, Becoming, Yes U Can, ... although I have a feeling all of them would sound even better with just the guitar or some softer production)
7. Perfectly Clear (absolutely blah, except for the title track in the end which is in my top 5 Jewel songs ever :lol: it was like a beautiful reward to me after suffering through 10 embarrassing country songs, and it's why this album is one place higher than the other country album)
8. Sweet & Wild (listened to it once, haven't found even one redeemable song here, so it deserves to be at the very bottom for me)

haven't checked out the Xmas stuff and the other kid album, probably never will.

and I agree about your descriptions for the other albums too!
Carbon
Legend

Postby leomedar » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:20 am

mrlemonade wrote:My album ranking would be pretty much the same as yours :D
We are making amends after Ingrid Michaelson 100% discrepancy! :lol:

mrlemonade wrote:6. 0304 (I agree with you, a lot of it is uninspired, the lyrics seem dumbed down and the production is horribly dated and cheesy, BUT it has some good stuff there too. Intuition, Stand, Becoming, Yes U Can, ... although I have a feeling all of them would sound even better with just the guitar or some softer production)
You put it into word perfectly.

mrlemonade wrote:haven't checked out the Xmas stuff and the other kid album, probably never will.
I have her first christmas album and Lullaby. Not the second one and the kid's album. I tend to skip the christmas releases for this deconstruction. Here in argetnina, during christmas we have 40 degrees, it is summer at its peak, so it doesn't make any sense talking about snow and colds lol I do like some songs but just for that time, nos as albums/songs in general. I think I'll ponly rate a couple of albums, such as Aimee Mann's or Mariah Carey's, but as a general thing I'll skip them.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:53 am

John Legend's TOP 30: Part 1

30. Bliss (with Teyana Taylor)
A very interesting duet from Cruel Summer. the beat is hot!

29. Around My Way (with Talib Kweli)
Another really interesting feature.

28. No Other Love (feat. Estelle) (Evolver)
I love the reggae flavors in some of his songs.

27. I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to Be Free (Wake Up!)
Really cool song.

26. It Don't Have To Change (feat. The Stephens Family) (Get Lifted)
A really great gospel song. His voice fits this style.

25. Slow Dance (Once Again)
I really imagine myself walking along NY with this music in the background.

24. Each Days Gets Better (Once Again)
This song forced me to have a cup of wine. Cool.

23. Our Generation (The Hope of the World) (feat. CL Smooth) (Wake Up!)
A very 70s type of song.

22. Don't Give Up (with Herbie Hancock feat. Pink)
Very interesting collaboration. Although John's voice tends to be kinda flat and Pink is overemotional.

21. Everybody Knows (Evolver)
This is Beyonce's Halo... This is Kelly Clarkson's Already Gone... CLONES!
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:54 pm

John Legend's TOP 30: Part 2

20. Bridges (with Rebecca Ferguson)
Powerful ballad, mainly strings alongside their voices.

19. Green Light (feat. Andre 3000) (Evolver)
Andre's addition brings more life to a very good song.

18. Tonight (Best You Ever Had) (feat. Ludacris)
Fantastic R&B song. I feel this could have been a duet somehow with some female artist. I think John is one of the best contemporary R&B artists, sometimes his voice is limited but the coolness of his music saves that.

17. Used To Love U (Get Lifted)

16. Refuge (When It's Cold Outside) (Get Lifted)
Some R&B, add some gospel, then some hints of reggae = John. I really like his sound, is quite distinctive.

15. Again (Once Again)
Love the atmosphere around this song.

14. Can't Be My Lover (feat. Buju Banton)
Great reggae song!

13. Stereo (Once Again)
Cool video.

12. P.D.A. (We Just Don't Care) (Once Again)
Good video, beautiful Brazil.

11. Let's Get Lifted (Get Lifted)
Great live version to end today's update.
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:58 pm

Glad somebody else on this forum knows about/loves "Green Light". 8-)
SawyerHewitt wrote:The raw emotion Kween conveys when belting out WBT's climax>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
A MOMENT IN MUSIC HISTORY.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby leomedar » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:30 pm

Goldmoney wrote:Glad somebody else on this forum knows about/loves "Green Light". 8-)
You are back here!!! :D :D :D

It is a great song! And as I said, Andre 3000 adds his touch which makes the song even more good.

I've seen John flopping in all games around here, but he has many great songs. For me, he is one of the most important contemporary R&B artists.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 pm

John Legend's TOP 30: Part 3

10. Number One (feat. Kanye West) (Get Lifted)
One of Kanye's best achievements was supporting John Legend's career.

9. Made To Love (Love In The Future)
Fantastic song. Very sensual.

8. Wake Up Everybody (feat. Common & Melanie Fiona) ()
Standing ovation, great collab!

7. If You're Out There (Evolver)
Maybe this song is simple and cheesy, but gives me chills. Love it. Very exciting, makes me want to sing it out loud.

6. I Can Change (feat. Snoop Dogg) (Get Lifted)

5. This Time (Evolver)
Beautiful. Heartfull. Love it.

4. Save Room (Once Again)
I like this video a lot.

3. All Of Me (Love In The Future)
I think this mix gave the song and extra life. Overplayed but really good.

2. Coming Home (Once Again)
It was an instant fav when UI heard this song for the first time. It may not be perfect, but I fnid it captivating.

1. Ordinary People (Get Lifted)
Breakthrough hit for him, still his best imo.
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:17 pm

BONUS TRACK - JOHN LEGEND's TOP ALBUMS

5. Wake Up! (2010) - My rating: 73.6
Good intention, but somehow lacks execution and stronger identity.

4. Love In The Future (2013) - My rating: 75.4
Some great songs, but John Legend's music tends to sound the same album after album. He needs toreinvent himself somehow.

3. Evolver (2008) - My rating: 77.5
Not necesarily evoultion but consolidation here.

2. Once Again (2006) - My rating: 78.3
A good sophomore effort. I have already said this, but after good debut albums it is really hard to follow up with something strong. So extra aknowledgement to this one.

1. Get Lifted (2004) - My rating: 78.5
His first album surprised me. The all the rest were good and solid, but this was touching and unexpected. The fusion of R&B, Reggae and Gospel is really interesting.

How I Met... John Legend

No special tale here. I just found out about him, as many others, with Ordinary Love. It took me some time to really embrace his music.
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby Wardo » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:02 pm

Nice to see you like John!!!!! :D

My favorite albums is also Get Lifted because I have many memories from 2005! It was a difficult year for me and his music was a breath of fresh air.

However, my two fave singles are probably from Once Again! Save Room and especially P.D.A. are just AMAZING.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby leomedar » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:18 pm

Wardo wrote:Nice to see you like John!!!!! :D

My favorite albums is also Get Lifted because I have many memories from 2005! It was a difficult year for me and his music was a breath of fresh air.

However, my two fave singles are probably from Once Again! Save Room and especially P.D.A. are just AMAZING.
Really good tracks from Once Again. I only placed higher Coming Home. It is a song that always captivated me.

Get Lifted is indeed very refreshing. nice to see it helped you through a tough time.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Joss Stone's TOP 30: Part 1

30. (Heaven Must Have Sent) Your Precious Love (with Tower Of Power)
A great and cool collab to start Joss' journey.

29. When Love Comes to Town (with Herbie Hancock & Jonny Lang)
A recent discovery, great version.

28. You Got The Love (Colour Me Free)
The Florence version is better, but I enjoy this one a lot.

27. Music (feat. Lauryn Hill) (Introducing Joss Stone)
When I read about this collab, I was thrilled. The result is good, but not up to the hype imo. Anyway, it deserves to be here.

26. Teardrops (The Soul Sessions vol. 2)
I like her a lot, she seems really cool and her approach to music is very honest and pure.

25. Somehow (LP1)
This is addictive.

24. Killing Time (Mind, Body & Soul)
Music ecstasy.

23. Wicked Time (with Nadirah "Nadz" Seid)
The movie Alfie was bland, but her songs in the soundtrack are great! This one makes me dance.

22. Tell Me Bout It (Introducing Joss Stone)
I think she lost audience attention after this release, but I don't get why. I like it a lot! So hot, fun and cool.

21. L-O-V-E
Almost every version of this song is perfect. This is no exception. Fantastic. And with this lovely tune let's go and enjoy Saturday night!
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:14 pm

Joss Stone's TOP 30: Part 2

20. Victim Of A Foolish Heart (The Soul Sessions)
A really great R&B tune.

19. Baby Baby Baby (Introducing Joss Stone)
A disastrous video, but the song is great.

18. I've Fallen In Love With You (The Soul Sessions)
One of my early favs from her, in time I lost interest but still it is amongst her best.

17. Lonely Without You (with Mick Jagger & Dave Stewart)
Beautiful christmas song, I like the intro.

16. Snakes & Ladders (Mind, Body & Soul)
Great song, sometimes I feel it is just too verdramatic, but it is catchy.

15. Some Kind Of Wonderful (The Soul Sessions)
She really knows how to come up with cool music.

14. Bruised But Not Broken (Introducing Joss Stone)

13. All The King's Horses (The Soul Sessions)
Her first album was so refreshing. It was really something outstanding for such a young lady to express so much through her voice and music.

12. Free Me (Colour Me Free)
She is like an oasis in today's music.

11. Tell Me What Were Gonna Do Now (feat. Common) (Introducing Joss Stone)
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby Wardo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:21 pm

Amazing selection! I've been a fan since the first album and she's great live. I need to go to one of her concerts this next March!

My favorites are: Baby Baby Baby, I've Fallen In Love With You (same with me, an early fave), Tell Me What..., You Got The Love (surprised!), Music (it would be top 10 for me), Teardrops, Somehow, Killing Time (YEAAAAAAH, this is perfection! Ecstasy defines it well) and Tell Me Bout It.
Wardo
Knight of Cups

Postby leomedar » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Wardo wrote:Amazing selection! I've been a fan since the first album and she's great live. I need to go to one of her concerts this next March!

My favorites are: Baby Baby Baby, I've Fallen In Love With You (same with me, an early fave), Tell Me What..., You Got The Love (surprised!), Music (it would be top 10 for me), Teardrops, Somehow, Killing Time (YEAAAAAAH, this is perfection! Ecstasy defines it well) and Tell Me Bout It.
She is fantastic live. I got the chance to see her when she came to Argentina and it was great. She is fun, relaxed and really into music.

I hope there are still some favs of you! tomorrow i'll update my top ten.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:23 pm

Joss Stone's TOP 30: Part 3

10. Fell In Love With A Boy (The Soul Sessions)
Her first single. I was not completely in love with it, had many other favs from that great debut album of her. But doing it I think that the song that started it all deserved to be in the top 10.

9. Could Have Been You (Colour Me Free)
A song that have been growing and growing on me since I bought this album.

8. Spoiled (Mind, Body & Soul)
Sensual song.

7. You Had Me (Mind, Body & Soul)
I found this song perfect as a follow up to her debut album. Hot and funk and passionate. In time it was no longer my #1 from her, but it is great anyway.

6. Stalemate (feat. Jamie Hartman) (Colour Me Free)
Only recently I started to pay attention to this song.

5. Jet Lag (Mind, Body & Soul)
An outstanding R&B tune.

4. Don't Cha Wanna Ride (Mind, Body & Soul)
Song of the summer. Forever.

3. Right To Be Wrong (Mind, Body & Soul)
Standing ovation.

2. Super Duper Love (Are You Diggin' On Me?) (The Soul Sessions)
Great uplifting song! It was everywhere and I loved it! Another summer sound.

1. Chokin' Kind (The Soul Sessions)
The Number 1 deserved to be a soulful song. this song gives me chills, makes me love music even more and make me realize how talented and beautiful she is.
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Postby leomedar » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:35 pm

BONUS TRACK - JOSS STONE's TOP ALBUMS

6. The Soul Sessions vol. 2 (2012) - My rating: 72.0
I was expecting something mindblowing, and she delivered something good but lacking the soul taht she showed in her frst volume. I think here it is manily a problem of expectations.

5. LP1 (2011) - My rating: 72.3
What she delivered in her first three albums, she couldn't in her next albums. But her approach to music is something beautiful and enjoyable.

4. Colour Me Free (2009) - My rating: 74.6
It is not that these albums are bad. IMO they are more inconsistent than the previous ones.

3. Mind, Body & Soul (2004) - My rating: 75.7
I was in love with this album, but in time I kind of lost interest. Anyway, it is great and some songs are really something.

2. Introducing Joss Stone (2007) - My rating: 76.0
I didn't get why she put this title to the album. She was well known, and her previous sets were great. Silly me, but I was mad at her. Then I saw her live and it was a re-falling in love.

1. The Soul Sessions (2003) - My rating: 80.0
Such a soulful and original album for the time. Really different and intriguing.

How I Met... Jewel

Fell In Love With A Boy was quite big here. It was something refreshing and original. I was not completely head over heels for it, but she definetly capture my attention. When I bought the album I realized she was soemthing really interesting and, in time, I fell in love with the girl.
Last edited by leomedar on Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
leomedar
Legend

Return to Personal Charts