Shell's Charts of Nov 2004-Nov 2005 (best songs now)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

What is my #1 song of 2005?

Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
57%
KT Tunstall - Black Horse & The Cherry Tree
43%

Total votes : 7

Postby Virgostar » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:11 pm

Now comes that crazy time of year where everybody on this site decides to post their personal charts and this year is no different. Except with me, rather than the usual best of list, I have 3 charts this year - my fave albums, my worst songs and best songs of the year, all calculated from November 2004 to November 2005.

My best of end of year chart is still to be compiled cos I'm still rating tunes (therefore no poll yet), but the other 2 are ready to go & I'll start counting the albums sometime in the next 24 hours.
Last edited by Virgostar on Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Virgostar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:53 am

A bit of explaining here regarding the albums - 1/2 of these (or more) were released last year, but I didn't end up buying them until this year, so excuse that fact & just read on....

13. Green Day - American Idiot

Ending up at a lowly #13 is a band that (to me) has suddenly become rather overhyped. Don't get me wrong, I like Green Day, but its like all of a sudden they've become hot stuff and people don't bother to check out their earlier music (which IMO, is way better than anything on this album) and/or simply doesn't know any of it. You're missing out kids!

Anyway, I bought this with all the hype surrounding Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, but gave it a few spins over a couple of weeks & got bored of it quickly. At the present time, I can't stand to hear Wake Me Up When September Ends after being bombarded with it across Europe. It's still in my best of end of year chart though, but at a much lower position.

Top 3 Tunes

1. Give Me Novacaine
2. She's A Rebel
3. St Jimmy

12. Sound Environment

I picked this one up because:

(a) it's for a good cause (supporting the World Wildlife Fund and its efforts to "stop the degredation of the planet's natural environment and conserve animal and plant species in Australia" ) and

(b) its got some good artists/bands on it (e.g John Mayer, Missy Higgins, Lior, Radiohead)

Sadly though, there's not enough good tunes on it to sustain my interest (too much acoustic stuff for my liking - I do like acoustic stuff, but a whole album of it gets boring). However, it gave me the oppurtunity to revisit songs I like, discover songs by artists/bands that I wouldn't have thought to discover before and reminded me that Lior's This Old Love truly is a popular song for compilation CDs.

Top 3 Tunes

1. Missy Higgins - Greed For Your Love (have become obsessed with this song of late, tis my fave song of her's now)
2. Gomez - We Haven't Turned Around (sounds better live though)
3. Radiohead - Fake Plastic Trees (I had Pete Murray's Please here, but changed it instead)

11. Lior - Autumn Flow

2005 has become another year where Aussie artists have featured strongly in my charts, but this is also a year where I decided to embrace an independent artist. Sydney's Lior is that artist. Having heard the song now famous for its use on compilation CDs across Oz (This Old Love) a lot whilst listening to Triple J (Aussie radio station) last summer, I decided to pick up the album in February having heard another class tune of his titled Daniel.

If you're a fan of Jack Johnson et al, it'd be worth your time to check out this guy, the album's not too bad if you like that kind of music. I mainly bought it on the backing of those 2 songs & again, don't listen to it too often, but its perfect for chilling out on a sunny Sunday afternoon. The album has been critically acclaimed here, leading to a few ARIA nominations this year, where he was beaten by fellow indie artist Ben Lee & his juggernaut.

Top 3 Tunes

1. This Old Love (written about his wife, how sweet!)
2. Daniel
3. Autumn Flow
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby steophonic » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:50 am

Woo for American Idiot. An interesting choice for your favourite 3 songs from that album too.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Terence » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:47 am

Well, 'Give Me Novacaine' is amazing. End of.
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Tiger » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:54 am

Don't own any of those but some Green Day songs are great.

Is Lior Jewish?
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:39 pm

Woo for Green Day.... heard most of their album, and the songs I heard from it sounded really good :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby pepster » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:00 pm

Yaay for Green Day, although I think they deserve a top 10 entry. It was one of the better albums from the past year.
I might be wrong, but I have a feeling Kelly Clarkson is going to do very well on your charts :wink:
pepster
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:20 pm

Tiger wrote:
Is Lior Jewish?
He is of Middle Eastern descent, but I'm not sure what country his family hails from...

10. Missy Higgins - The Sound Of White

Move over Delta Goodrem, Missy Higgins is now the new Aussie Princess of Pop! TSOW is another album that was released last year and one I didn't pick up until this year once 3rd single The Special Two was released. This is an album I umm-ed and aah-ed over buying - took me ages before I decided to get it. There are some good tunes on it and Missy is decent enough as a songwriter, but after a while some of the songs start to sound the same and I honestly haven't listened to it all that much.

Top 3 Tunes

1. The Special Two (however, the live and single versions are much better than the album version)
2. Scar
3. This Is How It Goes

9. Triple J Hottest 100 Volume 12

I've mentioned this radio station before, but for those who have forgotten, Triple J is a Australian national radio station who support local alternative acts, as well as overseas indie/alternative acts that wouldn't normally get airplay on commercial radio. This station was a launching pad for the careers of Aussie acts like Silverchair, Missy Higgins & Killing Heidi (they all won the stations Unearthed competition for new talent).

A bit about the CD itself - every year Triple J listeners vote for their fave tunes of the year, which make up the hottest 100 - out of that list, a select few songs (about 40) are chosen at random out of that list to go on the CD. And a little fact for you - Triple J listeners voted my #1 song of 2004 (Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out) as their fave song of 2004 as well.

Top 5 Songs

1. Butterfingers - Yo Mama (a very crude song, but somehow hilariously funny)
2. Greenskeepers - Lotion (aka "That Silence Of The Lambs song" - yes, cannibalism is the theme of the song, but it's got a good bass beat)
3. Scribe - Not Many (The Remix!)
4. Freestylers - Push Up
5. Eskimo Joe - From The Sea

8. Scribe - The Crusader

This album is rather old now (released in 2003 in NZ, last year in Oz), but again, I didn't pick it up until this year after getting into Dreaming. Scribe is one of the leading forces in NZ hip-hop today and their music scene in general, having scored #1's with all his singles on the NZ charts (including a collaboration with his producer P-Money entitled Stop The Music) - he's also one of the reasons why I prefer homegrown (Oz & NZ) hip-hop/r&b rather than the general monotony that comes out of America (although some are influenced by it).

Top 5 Tunes

1. Dreaming
2. Theme From The Crusader (mentions some All Blacks & Christchurch acts in this tune)
3. Stand Up
4. Not Many (The Remix!)
5. Been This Way
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Virgostar » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:58 am

#'s 7-4 today...

7. James Blunt - Back To Bedlam

Blame Adam for this one - he convinced me somehow to give this album another listen, thus sucking me into the Blunty juggernaut. This one's only a recent addition to my collection (picked it up in Singapore), so if anybody's wondering why it isn't higher in my chart, then it's because of that (and also cos I can only listen to it if I'm depressed/melancholy, it's the kind of album that could send me to therapy!). There are some strong tunes on it in the form of No Bravery (I've never heard one person put more emotion into their voice on 1 tune than I have on this song) & Goodbye My Lover and of course, the single that's destined to be in everyone's personal top 10 of the year (except mine), You're Beautiful. Give me another couple of months and I'll make a firmer decision on it.

Top 5 Tunes

1. No Bravery
2. Goodbye My Lover
3. High
4. You're Beautiful
5. Wisemen

6. Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better....with Franz Ferdinand

Just like with their first album, I umm-ed & aah-ed for days about buying this one (and I still haven't bought their first album). Even after purchasing it recently (thanks Singapore for having cheap new release CD's), I'm still not sure whether I like it enough or not - however, the songs that I do like/listen to on this are catchy and have helped me put them in at #6. Methinx the guys may have lost a bit of indie credibility/"cool" by attempting to stretch themselves further on YCHISMB...WFF, but who really cares about all that stuff (I don't)?

Top 5 Tunes

1. You Could Have It So Much Better
2. Walk Away
3. Evil & A Heathen (this reminds me of stuff Aussie band the Living End did on their first album)
4. What You Meant
5. Do You Want To

5. Now - The Hits Of Winter 2005

Another compilation CD entering into my chart, I bought this one prior to going overseas. While it has quite a number of my fave songs of 2005 on it (see the list below - there are other good tunes on it too), it also contains 3 of the worst songs of the year on it (Tamara's Ooh Aah, Simple Plan's Shut Up & Live Element's Something About You), which is precisely why I didn't want to buy it at first. I haven't bought any of the NOW compilations before (not even the UK or American ones of the same name), but this by far is the best one brought out to date.

Top 5 Tunes

1. Fast Crew - I Got (the main reason why I bought the CD at the time, even though this is a 2004 tune - wasn't released until this year in Oz)
2. Ben Lee - Catch My Disease
3. Coldplay - Speed Of Sound
4. Thirsty Merc - In The Summertime
5. Missy Higgins - The Special Two

4. New Music Live From The Panel

Explanation needed here. The Panel is a round table discussion/satire/comedic/musical show in Australia - used to run all throughout the year until about 2 years ago, now it's on occasionally/not at all/when they can be bothered to do their Xmas special. As for the music, there are 2 requirements for the show: 1. You must sing live and 2. The performances should be mostly acoustic/unplugged.

Ok, hands up the slightly obsessed John Mayer fan who bought this CD mainly cos of the great live version of Bigger Than My Body? *puts hand up* There are some other killer performances on there too - I looked forward to the live performances on the show sometimes because we, the audience, were always in for a treat. It's a pity they didn't put Alicia Keys' amazing live performance of If I Ain't Got You on it - it was recorded prior to the release of the CD at the end of last year - it would've made an already great CD even better.

Top 5 Tunes

1. John Mayer - Bigger Than My Body (yes I'm biased, he always does well live - this was his 2nd appearance on the show)
2. Sugababes - Overload (wonderful acoustic)
3. The Cat Empire - Hello (fun track made even more fun live on TV)
4. Jamie Cullum - These Are The Days/I Get A Kick Out Of You (and from leaping on top of your piano mid performance - have to say it made for interesting telly)
5. Stacie Orrico - Stuck (I thought this sucked the first time I heard it, but I like it acoustic now)

#3 up tomorrow...
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Terence » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:37 am

From what I've heard, James Blunt's album is well worth the hype!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Tiger » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:43 pm

GO MISSY 8-)

My CHART
Tiger

Postby Cornholio » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:46 pm

I must say that I like some of the albums that you posted above Shell...Starting with Green Day and Franz Ferdinand and ending with james Blunt and Missy Higgins. I'm keeping an eye on the podium you'll publish, because I know you have really great taste in music :wink: xox.
Cornholio
Manager

Postby ardavis » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:47 pm

Woop for Green Day! Loving the rarity of this chart too!
Keep your eyes on me...

Manchester Arena - May 2nd 2008 - Céline Dion - Block B, Row A
ardavis
Manager

Postby steophonic » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:51 pm

Love the James Blunt album. Good to see Franz Ferdinand's album there too... I agree that 'Evil & A Heathen' is one of the best songs on there.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:03 pm

Woo for James Blunt... great album there :D
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:59 pm

James Blunt because of me!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Virgostar » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:17 pm

3. Thirsty Merc - Thirsty Merc

Image (new cover)

Image (old cover/the one I own)

Another album released last year that I bought this year. A little story to go with this one - I slated this Aussie band's album at first & thought it was crappy, but after the single Someday Someday was released and became successful, I decided to give the album another listen & loved it. Since then, they've released 2 more singles (In The Summertime & When The Weather Is Fine), repackaged the album (see above) & gone on to tour around Australia multiple times & play at the Reading/Leeds festival over the northern summer. I believe that these guys were robbed at the ARIA's this year thanx to the Missy Higgins juggernaut, they deserved at least 1 award - apparently the guys are not too shabby live either, but I've yet to see that for myself.

Top 5 Tunes

1. Katie Q
2. Someday Someday
3. I Wish Somebody Would Build A Bridge (So I Can Get Over Myself)
4. My Completeness
5. Emancipate Myself

Top 2 over the weekend...
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Toxic » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:21 pm

James Blunt and Franz Ferdinand albums are amazing! good to see them in your chart! :D :D
Toxic
Manager

Postby Virgostar » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:59 pm

Up to the final 2 now, which album will be #1?

2. Coldplay - X&Y

One of the most anticipated albums of 2005 doesn't quite make it to the #1 spot, instead landing in at #2. Before I purchased X&Y, I was mainly a fan of Coldplay's singles - even though I had their previous albums as well, I'd bought them all after the singles were released, which meant I guaranteed to like certain songs already. That all changed with this 3rd album of theirs, I only had Speed Of Sound to go by and a whole lot of hype behind it. Luckily for myself, I loved the album straight away and IMO, X&Y is their best album yet. Bring on Wednesday June 28 2006! (The date I'm going to see them in concert in Sydney)

Top 5 Tunes

1. X&Y (possibly my fave Coldplay song now)
2. Low
3. Twisted Logic
4. Speed Of Sound
5. A Message

*drum roll* My #1 album of 2005 iiiiiiiiiiiiis.....

1. KT Tunstall - Eye To The Telescope

Some might find this one a little predictable :wink:

In some years, I've discovered a new female artist whose music I absolutely adore. Last year, it was New Zealand's Brooke Fraser, this year it's Scottish lass KT Tunstall. This girl can definitely belt out a catchy tune or 2 (or 3), but she can also belt out a beautiful ballad (or 2 or 3) as well.

Nominated for the Mercury Music Prize earlier this year, this was the first ever imported album I've bought - little did I know that the album would be released 2 weeks after I bought it (at least my album hasn't got copy-protection software)! By the time I bought this album, I'd forgotten what it had sounded like (I'd listened to it weeks & weeks earlier) & it took a little while to grow on me - it's now one of my prized and favourite albums in my collection. Hopefully she'll come back out my way soon for more gigs - I missed her promo stuff in Sydney & I missed seeing her do an instore in London (was the week after I left) :(

Top 5 Tunes

1. Heal Over (how good is this song?)
2. Suddenly I See
3. Another Place To Fall
4. Universe & U
5. Black Horse & The Cherry Tree

That's it for the albums - in the next couple of days, I'll start my worst songs of 2005 chart.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Terence » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:03 pm

Well I've been tempted to purchase both albums (especially Coldplay's) but I've only made-done with downloading random album tracks so far!

Since I liked their singles, I'll have to congratulate you on a really good top 2! I'm a bit gutted to see 'Fix You' not in the top 5, but then it may be the case that I like that song way too much!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Virgostar » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:10 pm

jlo17 wrote:I'm a bit gutted to see 'Fix You' not in the top 5, but then it may be the case that I like that song way too much!
I didn't like the song at first, then I liked it, then I got terribly bored of it & started disliking it again, so that's why it's not in my top 5...and yeah, get the album, it's good! Actually, get both my top 2 albums, both are ace!
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby pepster » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:00 am

WOW, I'm surprised Kelly's Breakaway didn't make your chart :o
For some reason I thought you liked Kelly a lot :lol:
pepster
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:08 am

YAY Coldplay - brilliant brilliant brilliant

My CHART
Tiger

Postby steophonic » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:58 am

Two brilliant albums that will both feature in my chart.

Suprised to see my least favoutite Coldplay song as your favourite, but it's so good that it's hard to find favourites!
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby Virgostar » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:36 am

pepster wrote:WOW, I'm surprised Kelly's Breakaway didn't make your chart :o
For some reason I thought you liked Kelly a lot :lol:
Haven't purchased the album yet :wink:...and yeah, I'm becoming a fan of Ms Clarkson I have to say!
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Return to Year End Personal Charts