Barbra Streisand

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby AndiIversen » Tue May 20, 2014 5:09 pm

adamf2thedeath wrote:I recently bought her greatest hits. It's got nearly 60 songs on and I love most of them. I still think my favourite is get happy/happy days with judy garland. That's not on there but it's breathtaking.
60? which one did you get? I can only think of that box set "Just for the Record..." with that many songs ("Just..." has about 90 i think)
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby jrnleblanc » Tue May 20, 2014 7:54 pm

I'm ashamed to say this but I've never heard any one of her songs. :lol: :oops:
I grew up with Rock, Country, and Pop and somehow no one in my family liked her. Therefore never hearing any of her music.

So I'm asking her hardcore UKMIX fans to tell me what her BEST songs/albums are so I can check her out. Her discography is massive and I don't want to start listening to some of the not so great stuff. :lol:
jrnleblanc
Manager

Postby Spartan » Sat May 24, 2014 4:04 pm

I'd say check out The Essential Barbra Streisand. It contains a good mixture of her hits from the 70s, 80s and 90s. I tend to prefer her broadway songs but it ultimately depends on the person.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:05 pm

Recently started listening to her. I hope she tours again soon.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby CelinetoBarbra » Sun May 25, 2014 6:09 pm

jrnleblanc wrote:I'm ashamed to say this but I've never heard any one of her songs. :lol: :oops:
I grew up with Rock, Country, and Pop and somehow no one in my family liked her. Therefore never hearing any of her music.

So I'm asking her hardcore UKMIX fans to tell me what her BEST songs/albums are so I can check her out. Her discography is massive and I don't want to start listening to some of the not so great stuff. :lol:
Her five #1
The way we were
Evergreen
You don't bring me flowers
No more tears
Woman In love
And timelss Classic
Happy day are here again
People
My man
Memory
Emotion album
A piece of sky
Somewhere
I finally find someone
Tell him
... :D
BARBRA
★Mom of Divas
★2Osc+  10Gram+  5Em+  Tony 
★Best-selling ♀ Artist
★Biggest Box office Actress
★Only Artist No.1 in 7 Decades
★1st Osc♀ Composer
CelinetoBarbra
Personal Assistant

Postby IDreamed » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 am

There's a new album coming out and it's a duets album, with Michael Buble, Josh Groban, John Mayer and Billy Joel.
IDreamed
Personal Assistant

Postby CelinetoBarbra » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:00 pm

IDreamed wrote:There's a new album coming out and it's a duets album, with Michael Buble, Josh Groban, John Mayer and Billy Joel.
Maybe with GAGA,Adele and more? :o
BARBRA
★Mom of Divas
★Best-selling ♀ Artist
★1st Osc♀ Composer
CelinetoBarbra
Personal Assistant

Postby AndiIversen » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:02 pm

CelinetoBarbra wrote:
IDreamed wrote:There's a new album coming out and it's a duets album, with Michael Buble, Josh Groban, John Mayer and Billy Joel.
Maybe with GAGA,Adele and more? :o
More about it here:

Barbra Streisand Duets Album Almost Finished, Says Babyface
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6140774/barbra-steisand-duets-album-babyface-release-date
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby AndiIversen » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 pm

AndiIversen
Legend

Postby CelinetoBarbra » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:38 am

Barbra is the supereme queen of New York
http://www.barbrastreisand.com/us/news/ ... -interview
BARBRA
★Mom of Divas
★Best-selling ♀ Artist
★1st Osc♀ Composer
CelinetoBarbra
Personal Assistant

Postby CelinetoBarbra » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:23 pm

AndiIversen wrote:on the cover of Candis magazine:

https://www.candis.co.uk/all-celebs/barbra-streisand/
Barbra Streisand
CELEB MONTAGELiving legend Barbra Streisand is the biggest-selling female recording artist in the world, an Oscar-winning actress and a Golden Globe-winning director, but here are a few facts that you may not know about the star…

– When she duetted with Neil Diamond on You Don’t Bring Me Flowers, it wasn’t the first time they had sang together – they both sang in the same school choir at New York’s Erasmus High School.

– Barbra was in at the same acting school as Dustin Hoffman when she was 16. She said, “I used to babysit to get free acting lessons, and he was the janitor.”

– One of her first jobs was as a switchboard operator.

– With blockbuster Yentl, Barbra became the first woman since the silent movie era to direct, produce, write and star in a feature film.

– Barbra is proud she has stayed true to herself, saying, “I arrived in Hollywood without having my nose fixed, my teeth capped, or my name changed. That is very gratifying to me.”

– Both of Barbra’s husbands, Elliott Gould and James Brolin, starred in the film Capricorn One.

– Barbra is one of the few people who are an EGOT – the stars who have one at least one of the four major entertainment awards, Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony.

– She was considered for the role of Sandy in the film Grease.

– Barbra isn’t always convinced of her looks but has said, “Now when I look at Funny Girl, I think I was gorgeous. I was too beautiful to play Fanny Brice.”

– She knows she has a powerful voice and has said, “When I sing, people shut up.”
BARBRA
★Mom of Divas
★Best-selling ♀ Artist
★1st Osc♀ Composer
CelinetoBarbra
Personal Assistant

Postby AndiIversen » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:56 pm

CelinetoBarbra wrote:Image
Iconic Celebrity #1: Barbra Streisand (CBS NY)

Brooklyn’s own funny girl was born on the cusp of WWII, in a part of New York she still likes to call “down to earth.” The daughter of newly-arrived immigrants, Streisand came from less-than-Tony beginnings and lived, at various points in her young life, close to the poverty line. Her dad died when she was still a baby and she has called her childhood lonely. Despite a humble start, there was nothing humble about her talent. An extraordinary singer, songwriter, actress, producer and director, Streisand’s storied career has spanned decades as well as continents, but nowhere is she more beloved than in the city of her birth, New York.

Her Roots
Some consider Streisand to be a singer who acts. Others, including herself, say she is an actor who sings. It’s hard to define an indefinable talent, but Streisand was drawn to the stage and an acting career even as a little girl. She achieved academic success throughout her school years, but upon graduation from high school, eschewed college, instead hoping to jumpstart her career in New York’s trenches. A boyfriend urged her to create a club act, which she did in 1960, famously launching her singing career and acquiring her first fans at cabarets and clubs like the Lion and the Blue Angel in Greenwich Village. Despite her dearth of singing lessons and an inability to read music, her fan base, and popularity, continued to blossom, leading to her first television appearance on “The Tonight Show” after guest host Orson Bean heard her singing at a club in the Village.

Her Climb
Streisand made her Broadway debut at the tender age of 19 as Miss Marmelstein, a secretary working in New York’s Garment District during the 1930s in “I Can Get It For You Wholesale.” Streisand was nominated for a Tony and won a New York Drama Critics Poll Award for her role. The show’s cast album was her first studio recording, bringing her to the attention of Columbia Records, with whom she signed that same year. Her very first album for Columbia, “The Barbra Streisand Album,” was released in 1963 and became album of the year, yielding her two Grammys and international accolades. Streisand continued to record, but returned to Broadway and to one of her most famous roles, “Funny Girl,” in 1964 (a role which would later earn her the Best Actress Oscar for the film version of the musical in 1969).

the rest is here:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/guide/1010-wins-iconic-celebrity-1-barbra-streisand/

btw, the top 5 NY celebs were:

1 Babs
2 Liza
3 Bette
4 Madonna
5 F.Sinatra
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby CelinetoBarbra » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:03 pm

AndiIversen wrote:
CelinetoBarbra wrote:Image
Iconic Celebrity #1: Barbra Streisand (CBS NY)

Brooklyn’s own funny girl was born on the cusp of WWII, in a part of New York she still likes to call “down to earth.” The daughter of newly-arrived immigrants, Streisand came from less-than-Tony beginnings and lived, at various points in her young life, close to the poverty line. Her dad died when she was still a baby and she has called her childhood lonely. Despite a humble start, there was nothing humble about her talent. An extraordinary singer, songwriter, actress, producer and director, Streisand’s storied career has spanned decades as well as continents, but nowhere is she more beloved than in the city of her birth, New York.

Her Roots
Some consider Streisand to be a singer who acts. Others, including herself, say she is an actor who sings. It’s hard to define an indefinable talent, but Streisand was drawn to the stage and an acting career even as a little girl. She achieved academic success throughout her school years, but upon graduation from high school, eschewed college, instead hoping to jumpstart her career in New York’s trenches. A boyfriend urged her to create a club act, which she did in 1960, famously launching her singing career and acquiring her first fans at cabarets and clubs like the Lion and the Blue Angel in Greenwich Village. Despite her dearth of singing lessons and an inability to read music, her fan base, and popularity, continued to blossom, leading to her first television appearance on “The Tonight Show” after guest host Orson Bean heard her singing at a club in the Village.

Her Climb
Streisand made her Broadway debut at the tender age of 19 as Miss Marmelstein, a secretary working in New York’s Garment District during the 1930s in “I Can Get It For You Wholesale.” Streisand was nominated for a Tony and won a New York Drama Critics Poll Award for her role. The show’s cast album was her first studio recording, bringing her to the attention of Columbia Records, with whom she signed that same year. Her very first album for Columbia, “The Barbra Streisand Album,” was released in 1963 and became album of the year, yielding her two Grammys and international accolades. Streisand continued to record, but returned to Broadway and to one of her most famous roles, “Funny Girl,” in 1964 (a role which would later earn her the Best Actress Oscar for the film version of the musical in 1969).

the rest is here:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/guide/1010-wins-iconic-celebrity-1-barbra-streisand/

btw, the top 5 NY celebs were:

1 Babs
2 Liza
3 Bette
4 Madonna
5 F.Sinatra
Thank you very much!
BARBRA
★Mom of Divas
★Best-selling ♀ Artist
★1st Osc♀ Composer
CelinetoBarbra
Personal Assistant

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:43 pm

Never been a fan but just randomly came across this performance, and her voice is amazing.

CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:22 pm

She's amazing!
GetBack
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:25 pm

CrazyCrazy wrote:Never been a fan but just randomly came across this performance, and her voice is amazing.

It's beautiful, thank you for the video.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby AndiIversen » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Isn't that vid where she had one of Oprah's mics painted to match her outfit in off-white? :lol: you could tell O was silently fuming :D
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby Mikerocha » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:02 am

In the past 6 months, I bought Barbra's entire discography :D

I can't believe I was never into her music before. I used to know her as the lady that painted Oprah's mic white :lol:
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:26 pm

I've grown to love her too! What is your favorite album of hers? :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby CelinetoBarbra » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Hppay Birthday
BARBRA
★Mom of Divas
★Best-selling ♀ Artist
★1st Osc♀ Composer
CelinetoBarbra
Personal Assistant

Postby AndiIversen » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:27 pm

Happy Bday Babs and to your wonderful talent (could be the nose but the voice too) :D 8-)
Hope you'll stay with us for many more years and give us more music too.
AndiIversen
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:31 pm

Stephen Sondheim confirmed she is making - and starring in - a new movie version of GYPSY.

Sorry Babs, but you're 40 years too old. Mama Rose is 30 - 50 in the musical, max.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Angelyne » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:45 am

I've always preferred Bette Midler. Her voice is more versatile than Barbra's. There's no way she could sing and rock out like Bette did in The Rose. Bette has recorded songs from so many different genres of music. Her debut album, The Divine Miss M, is one of the best of all time. Barbra is too samey and unlikeable.
Angelyne
Groupie

Postby GetBack » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:10 am

Bette is amazing but Barbra remains one of the best vocalists ever. She doesn't need to sing different genres or rock out to prove anything. She is on a whole different league.
GetBack
Legend

Return to General Artists Discussion