IFPI Platinum Europe Awards - Dec/2005

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby strongersp » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:15 pm

February 13, 2005

The last month of 2005 presents a tally of ten European Platinum Awards honouring nine international artists, and confirms Robbie Williams' Intensive Care as the year's biggest European album seller.

American pop star Britney Spears receives the first platinum award for her album Greatest Hits - My Prerogative, which has sold over a million copies across 21 European countries since its May 2005 release. The album features hits from Baby One More Time to Toxic, and her Madonna duet Me Against the Music. The 24-year-old from Louisiana has sold an impressive 55 million albums during her five-year career.

Enya's November release Amarantine has also sold more than one million copies across Europe. This is the sixth album from the Irish singer songwriter and the first since 2000's A Day Without Rain. Renowned for her evocative melodies and haunting Gaelic lyrics, the Celtic artist made her solo debut in 1987. She had previously recorded with the band Clannad, fronted by her sister.

Kelly Clarkson, the first winner of American Idol, has been catapulted to global stardom since victory in the 2002 TV talent series. Breakaway is the second studio album from the 23-year-old former waitress from Texas, and the title has now sold one million copies across Europe. The title track was co-written with Avril Lavigne, and the Grammy-nominated album also features 2005 single successes Since U Been Gone and Because of You.

Westlife score another success with their latest album Face To Face, which has sold over a million copies in Europe since its October release. The title has gone four times platinum in the UK and seven in the band's native Ireland. The album features trademark power ballads from the group, including their latest single When You Tell Me That You Love Me, a duet with Diana Ross. The first single from the album, You Raise Me Up was the band's 13th UK Number 1, which makes them the most successful UK chart act since the Beatles.

Il Divo gain two platinum awards in December 2005 – double platinum levels for both their latest album Ancora, and their debut Il Divo. The group formed in December 2003 after a worldwide search that bought together members David, Sebastian, Urs and Carlos, hailing from the US, France, Switzerland and Spain respectively. The operatic four piece have been credited with bringing opera into the mainstream; the self-titled Il Divo reached number one in 13 countries and has now sold over two million copies in Europe. Il Divo's second album Ancora has mirrored that success, with sales having now crossed the two million mark across 19 European countries.

Eminem's greatest hits title Curtain Call goes double platinum in its month of release, with over two million European sales in December. The American rapper has been recording since 1996, but made his breakthrough on the hip hop scene after fellow artist and Aftermath CEO Dr. Dre heard him free-styling on an LA radio station. Eminem, AKA Slim Shady, has become famed for his lyrical style, and Curtain Call features singles ranging from the early My Name Is, to Stan (featuring Dido), and his most recent single When I'm Gone.

Madonna's Confessions on a Dancefloor gains its third PEA in two months. The artist's eleventh studio album has now gone platinum or multi-platinum in 17 European countries. This pop disco offering has been nominated for International Album at the 2006 Brit Awards, as well as securing a Best International Female nomination for the 47-year-old ‘Queen of Pop'.

James Blunt rounds off a phenomenal year with four Brit nominations and a fourth Platinum Award for his debut album Back to Bedlam. The album hit the shelves in October 2004, but it was the release of smash hit single You're Beautiful in June 2005 which saw sales of the album rocket. Having sold four million copies across Europe to date, Back to Bedlam was propelled to the top of the album charts and earns Blunt the accolade of biggest selling UK album of 2005.

Fellow Brit nominee Robbie Williams ends the year on a high as sales of his latest album Intensive Care pass the four million mark across the continent, making it the biggest selling 2005 release in Europe. The album has gone platinum or multi-platinum in 15 European countries, and a massive five times platinum in both the UK and Germany, all within three months of release. The October album - the eighth from the British solo artist - was co-written with new song-writing partner Stephen Duffy. Williams also has a record-breaking sold out world tour planned for 2006.

ARTIST ALBUM TITLE COMPANY AWARD LEVEL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRITNEY SPEARS GREATEST HITS - MY PREROGATIVE SONYBMG 1

ENYA AMARANTINE WARNER MUSIC 1

KELLY CLARKSON BREAKAWAY SONYBMG 1

WESTLIFE FACE TO FACE SONYBMG 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EMINEM CURTAIN CALL UNIVERSAL 2

IL DIVO ANCORA SONYBMG 2

IL DIVO IL DIVO SONYBMG 2

MADONNA CONFESSIONS ON A DANCEFLOOR WARNER MUSIC 3

JAMES BLUNT BACK TO BEDLAM WARNER MUSIC 4

ROBBIE WILLIAMS INTENSIVE CARE EMI 4

http://www.ifpi.org/site-content/platin ... intro.html

Britney has already received her first platinum in november 2004.
I think it's her second platinum...
strongersp
Groupie

Postby Maripol » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:31 pm

Quick question. Which albums have the most IFPI Platinum Europe Awards?

Thanks.
Maripol
Manager

Postby strongersp » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:42 pm

CELINE DION, LET'S TALK ABOUT LOVE - 9
THE BEATLES, 1 - 8
SPICE GIRLS, SPICE - 8
BON JOVI, CROSS ROAD - 7
SHANIA TWAIN, COME ON OVER - 7
ALANIS MORISSETTE, JAGGED LITTLE PILL - 7
MADONNA, RAY OF LIGHT - 7
CELINE DION, FALLING INTO YOU - 7
U2, THE BEST OF 1980/1990 - 7
strongersp
Groupie

Postby stevyy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:09 pm

i love robbie so much, he's so incredible IC is such a great album and deserves all its success! 4 mill in europe is HOT tamale
stevyy
Legend

Postby brunosilva » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:26 pm

Celine Dion 10 million sales award
A very special IFPI award created for Celine Dion to recognise sales of one album in europe in excess of 10 million.

Presented in Las Vegas.
Client: Sony Music, IFPI
1st May 2003
CELINE DION - THE WORLD'S BIGGEST SELLING ARTIST OF THE LAST 20 YEARS

www.celinedioncharts.com
brunosilva
Manager

Postby nelson » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:16 pm

brunosilva wrote:Image

A very special IFPI award created for Celine Dion to recognise sales of one album in europe in excess of 10 million.

Presented in Las Vegas.
1st May 2003
This cert is fake.
I never read this on the "official" list on IFPI, or even "since 2003".
Well, it might sell over 10 million but without accountants from IFPI to "audit" or "prove" it???
So, this is an "in-house" awards from Sony, maybe including imports sales??
nelson
Legend

Postby thebigham » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:52 pm

Celine has sold over 40 million in Europe:

CELINE DION D'EUX 5
CELINE DION FALLING INTO YOU 7
CELINE DION THE COLOUR OF MY LOVE 4
CELINE DION LET'S TALK ABOUT LOVE 9
CELINE DION LIVE A PARIS 2
CELINE DION S'IL SUFFISAIT D'AIMER 2
CELINE DION THESE ARE SPECIAL TIMES 1
CELINE DION ALL THE WAY - A DECADE OF SONG 5
CELINE DION A NEW DAY HAS COME 3
CELINE DION ONE HEART 1
CELINE DION CELINE DION A L’OLYMPIA 1

= 40xp
thebigham
Legend

Postby seattleboy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:52 pm

strongersp wrote:American pop star Britney Spears receives the first platinum award for her album Greatest Hits - My Prerogative, which has sold over a million copies across 21 European countries since its May 2005 release. The album features hits from Baby One More Time to Toxic, and her Madonna duet Me Against the Music. The 24-year-old from Louisiana has sold an impressive 55 million albums during her five-year career.
Not 70 or 80 million, like her fans on this board claim.
seattleboy
Manager

Postby brunosilva » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:58 pm

nelson wrote:

Presented in Las Vegas.
1st May 2003
This cert is fake.
??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

See:

http://jmenternational.com/portfolio/?p ... perpage=12
CELINE DION - THE WORLD'S BIGGEST SELLING ARTIST OF THE LAST 20 YEARS

www.celinedioncharts.com
brunosilva
Manager

Postby nelson » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:06 pm

brunosilva wrote:
nelson wrote:

Presented in Las Vegas.
1st May 2003
This cert is fake.
??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

See:

http://jmenternational.com/portfolio/?p ... perpage=12
Still, they are all "outside" of the offical link.
Still, they are not "official".
nelson
Legend

Postby strongersp » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:47 pm

seattleboy wrote:
strongersp wrote:American pop star Britney Spears receives the first platinum award for her album Greatest Hits - My Prerogative, which has sold over a million copies across 21 European countries since its May 2005 release. The album features hits from Baby One More Time to Toxic, and her Madonna duet Me Against the Music. The 24-year-old from Louisiana has sold an impressive 55 million albums during her five-year career.
but her career has more than five years... lol

I'm a britney fan, and I know that she didn't sell 70/80 million albums.

but more than 60 million, definitely! :D
strongersp
Groupie

Postby irishguy28 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:44 pm

Presented in Las Vegas.
1st May 2003
Looking at the Platinum Europe pages on the IFPI website, that album has never been upgraded from 9P (which it reached in 1998)

The list for 1998 is here
The list for 1999 is here

and you can continue right up to 2005 just by changing the year digits in your address bar to check in case I missed it...

If the IFPI had given a 10 million special award, it would surely have been listed in the 2003 listings which was the date claimed for it.
irishguy28

Postby MJDangerous » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:57 pm

strongersp wrote:
seattleboy wrote:

I'm clearly not a britney fan, and I know that she sold about 70 millions albums.
25 June 2009, the day the Music died
MJDangerous
Legend

Postby strongersp » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:04 pm

MJDangerous wrote:
strongersp wrote:
seattleboy wrote:

I'm clearly not a britney fan, and I know that she sold about 70 millions albums.
lol

I'm not so optimistic :)
strongersp
Groupie

Postby seattleboy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:16 pm

MJDangerous wrote:I'm clearly not a britney fan, and I know that she sold about 70 millions albums.
Do you have worldwide sales for other artists on your site, like you have for Michael Jackson.
seattleboy
Manager

Postby MJDangerous » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:24 pm

seattleboy wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:I'm clearly not a britney fan, and I know that she sold about 70 millions albums.
Do you have worldwide sales for other artists on your site, like you have for Michael Jackson.
I have for more than 100 artists (all over 30m albums sold WW), in the Charts In France forum. I have do many mistakes in this study due to the lack of informations so I'm updating each number now with all new informations avalaible (French & German database, Korean & Swedish too, UK EOY charts, many soundscan figures for USA etc...).

I will put this study in my website at his end.
MJDangerous
Legend

Postby SrkiSrle » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:40 pm

MJDangerous wrote:
seattleboy wrote:
I have for more than 100 artists (all over 30m albums sold WW), in the Charts In France forum. I have do many mistakes in this study due to the lack of informations so I'm updating each number now with all new informations avalaible (French & German database, Korean & Swedish too, UK EOY charts, many soundscan figures for USA etc...).

I will put this study in my website at his end.
korean :| :o :o :o :o

??!!! madonna :$ ?
www.superdudes.nl/srki_srle

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
SrkiSrle
Roadie

Postby seattleboy » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:36 pm

SrkiSrle wrote:korean :| :o :o :o :o

??!!! madonna :$ ?
It only from 1999 to now.
seattleboy
Manager

Postby joao » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:41 pm

MJDangerous wrote:
strongersp wrote:
seattleboy wrote:

But how come, even if you add up the wildest fan estimatives for her 5 albums it doesnt reach 70 million...
joao
Superstar

Postby SrkiSrle » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:42 pm

joao wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:
strongersp wrote:
seattleboy wrote:

But how come, even if you add up the wildest fan estimatives for her 5 albums it doesnt reach 70 million...
60? 70? oh gimme a break
www.superdudes.nl/srki_srle

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
SrkiSrle
Roadie

Postby MJDangerous » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:13 pm

joao wrote:
People are always doing extrapolation from sales of USA/Europe to get WW sales. But in many artists, between them Britney Spears, those extrapolation are unfair. In proportion, she sold obviously more than 90% of artists in Asia, for example. She is also massive in South America, while many others sold only in developped countries.
In most, she is undercertified by far in USA, she sold tons throught music clubs and her certifications are many times not even as high as her soundscan sales figures. BOMT is the one in her albums certified at is "normal" level.
MJDangerous
Legend

Postby thebigham » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:25 am

What about January?

Chris
thebigham
Legend

Postby Aries » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:46 am

nelson wrote:This cert is fake.
I never read this on the "official" list on IFPI, or even "since 2003".
Well, it might sell over 10 million but without accountants from IFPI to "audit" or "prove" it???
So, this is an "in-house" awards from Sony, maybe including imports sales??
This is what celinedion.com says about it (news section):

Céline Receives IFPI Award
March 31, 2003
At an post-show ceremony on March 25, Céline was presented with a special IFPI award to commemorate the sale 10 millions copies of 'Let's Talk About Love' in Europe and she received as second IFPI award in honour of a total of 50 million albums sold in Europe. Céline is the only artist to have received these awards.
Aries
Personal Assistant

Postby Rullence » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:53 am

SrkiSrle wrote:
joao wrote:
MJDangerous wrote:
strongersp wrote:
seattleboy wrote:

60? 70? oh gimme a break
as for me... i do think these are her shipments

25 million
19 million
10 million
08 million
05 million

67 million

another thing is that she's in the business for 7-8 years now
Rullence
Personal Assistant

Postby Adrian76 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:07 pm

Yes, we must remember that the Eurochart has been going united since the mid 90s or so, so many previuos albums were never certified (that's why you don't find Sergeant Peppers, The Dark Side of the Moon, Thriller or True Blue).

Ironical that Confessions on a Dancefloor went double platinum in the EU in 2 weeks (2 million sold in Europe), and took 3 weeks for Mediabase to give her 1 platinum (2million worldwide). However, it's 3.5 in the EU now, so you would expect another platinum in a month.
Adrian76
Groupie

Return to Chart Analysis