Terror incident on London tube; 22 injured

Moderator: biscuits

Postby biscuits » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:36 am

biscuits
The Diva

Postby Muzikritik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:40 am

Has it been confirmed as a terror incident?
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:42 am

Scratch that, just read the update.

Thankfully no fatalities. Still.... where does it end?
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby ludichris » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:46 am

No fatalities thankfully. To be honest I'm surprised there haven't been more attacks on the tube network as there are no security measures anywhere apart from CCTV and it's ridiculously easy to blend in during the rush hour. I cycle EVERYWHERE now and I'm not going back to using transport ever.
ludichris
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:52 am

I totally agree that people need to be cautious and vigilant but statistically speaking, you have a much greater chance of injury or death as a cyclist than you do as a tube passenger.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby ludichris » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:01 am

Muzikritik wrote:I totally agree that people need to be cautious and vigilant but statistically speaking, you have a much greater chance of injury or death as a cyclist than you do as a tube passenger.
True. :lol: I've just noticed that I get sick a lot less now that I no longer take the tube and my bank balance has improved. Apols for going off topic lol.

These reports make me nervous because we all know that attacks are constantly being planned on the capital and they seem so random when they do happen and very hard to predict. It would probably be too costly to implement bag scanning facilities at stations so I'm unsure how they plan on foiling future attacks. :-?
ludichris
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 am

Can't argue with that logic. Great exercise and so much cheaper!

I agree that they can't install bag checks. Just not possible. Scanners maybe?
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby biscuits » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:56 am

Security checks are hard in the electronic way as a lot of devices don't contain metal these days.

In Bangkok, there are security gates to enter their biggest shopping centre. Takes literally a few seconds to walk through and check bags. I've always thought it was a good idea.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:47 am

22 being treated in hospital.

It was an IED explosion.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Colbie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:28 pm

Horrible news! :(
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:25 pm

The few times I've been on the tube in London I've felt tense due to this reason, god knows how those who have to use it every day must feel. Thank god for no fatalities.
Thriller

Postby joiPrince_JO » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Thank the Lord no one died!
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Muzikritik » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Thriller wrote:The few times I've been on the tube in London I've felt tense due to this reason, god knows how those who have to use it every day must feel. Thank god for no fatalities.
I guess for lots of people there are limited choices and this is still the easiest one. Plus there's the whole "if we lock ourselves at home, the win" mentality which Young London seem to adopt.

It doesn't deter me. It's made me more aware I guess. I had to call for assistance when I was standing opposite a gym bag that no one claimed and they had to stop the tube and get people in (it was literally just a sports bag with gym kit) but passengers acted quite calmly and thoughtfully.

Though I have committed to texting my parents as soon as I hear of these things just to check in.
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Jesper » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:27 am

That's awful, I hope the injured will recover :(

biscuits wrote:Security checks are hard in the electronic way as a lot of devices don't contain metal these days.

In Bangkok, there are security gates to enter their biggest shopping centre. Takes literally a few seconds to walk through and check bags. I've always thought it was a good idea.
You can almost never prevent these things, if they check bags, they will find an other way. Ever since Ariana Grande/Manchester you can't bring bags larger than A4 paper here in the Netherlands, you have to get through security and they check your pockets etc. But they don't check people's shoes. Which leaves an oppertunity for these bastards. Ofcourse every little thing helps, so I would glady let my bags check to secure my safety. But it's scary that there are so many possibilities left for these people to keep hurting others :evil:
Jesper
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Thriller wrote:The few times I've been on the tube in London I've felt tense due to this reason, god knows how those who have to use it every day must feel. Thank god for no fatalities.
Us Londers are a reasonable bunch. No matter where you live in the world, the truth is it's dangerous every time you step out the front door. There is absolutely no way you could ever secure the underground and that has always been true ever since it first opened. In context I believe it's the first form of detonation (if you could call it that) on the underground since 07/07 and even then, London carried on as usual the next day.

I love my city, and London - a most progressive city with a rich history and sense of tradition - isn't really phased by much. Whilst we sort of roll our eyes a bit at it, we really do just keep calm and carry on - a phrase itself linked to the worst bombings ever experienced in London (and indeed the country).

I've spoken to a few people about this and the general mood I've witnessed is that whilst yes it was a terrible thing to happen, the press are the ones really pushing it into something bigger. That doesn't mean we should be quiet about it nor acknowledge how much worse it could have been, but it seems the press are determined to be incredibly dramatic about it all - which certainly isn't the London nor British way.

A lot of news outlets are becoming notorious at at re-writing the same story to justify another headline on whatever it is that it's reporting, simply for click bait purposes - and when something like this happens I begrudge them using it to increase their revenues (particularly as I've noted a lot of news outlets are publishing the exact same articles. But perhaps that's a separate discussion).

What I will say is that the idiotic man across the pond volunteering information via twitter - in the midst of a serious investigation - is absolutely atrocious. How dare he pass comment on an ongoing investigation and how dare he say something that potentially gives information to the people responsible. Absolutely unbelieveable that anyone can be so stupid. Billions of dollars? Fine. Billions of brain cells? You were short changed mate.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby SalBoy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Imagine if this go off properly with all these nails inside

Gosh reminds me a bit similar attack in SoHo London on gay pub
Meaning of Grammy - album of the decade!!!
SalBoy
Roadie

Return to World News & Politics