Anne Frank's diary to be read at Italian league matches

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Hugo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:32 pm

A passage of Anne Frank's diary will be read before all Italian matches this week after an anti-Semitic incident at Rome's Olympic Stadium on Sunday.

Lazio fans posted stickers of the Holocaust victim wearing a Roma jersey alongside anti-Semitic slogans.

Lazio, who share the stadium with Roma, will have images of Anne Frank's face on their shirts in Wednesday's game.

The club's president has also said he will organise an annual trip to Auschwitz for 200 of Lazio's fans.

A section of Lazio fans known as the "ultras" - known for their racist chants and often violent behaviour - left the stickers and slogans such as "Roma fans are Jews" during their match at the Olympic Stadium on Sunday.

Italian president Sergio Mattarella called the case "alarming" and Italian police have opened an investigation into the stickers.

Sports Minister Luca Lotti said those responsible would be "identified and punished", adding: "There is no justification. These are instances to be condemned unconditionally."

Lazio president Claudio Lotito said wearing images of Anne Frank's face on the Biancocelesti shirts when they play at Bologna on Wednesday night would demonstrate the club is committed to fighting all forms of racism and anti-Semitism.

He also said taking Lazio fans on an annual trip to Auschwitz would teach them about the Holocaust.

Anne Frank became one of the most famous Jewish victims of the Holocaust after her diary of her life as a German Jew in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam in World War Two was published in 1947.

She died at Bergen-Belsen concentration camp when she was 15-years-old.

"You can't play around with these facts, we condemn all forms of racism. Lazio will launch this initiative," Lotito told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.

He also visited a synagogue in Rome following the incident, and was quoted by Italian newspaper La Republica as saying: "I am here to express our total dissociation towards all xenophobia, racism, anti-Semitism."

The Italian Football Federation announced that sections of the diary will be read out in the centre circle before all midweek Serie A, B and C matches, as well as amateur and youth matches at the weekend.

The section will read: "I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquillity will return once more."

On Tuesday, Inter Milan captain Mauro Icardi and his Sampdoria counterpart Fabio Quagliarella handed out copies of 'The Diary of Anne Frank' to mascots who accompanied players onto the pitch.

Inter Milan and Sampdoria captains handed out copies of Anne Frank's diary to mascots on Tuesday

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41747845
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Mihajlovic: I do not know who Anne Frank is

Torino boss Sinisa Mihajlovic has added to the controversy sparked by Lazio fans plastering their Stadio Olimpico home with images of Anne Frank in a Roma shirt, by denying he knows who she is.Mihajlovic, a former Lazio player, was asked about the issue at a press conference when he made the surprising confession.
"I do not know who she is," he said.
"I do not read the newspapers, I cannot talk about this.
"I'm sorry, but I have to declare myself ignorant on the matter."

http://www.marca.com/en/football/intern ... b4677.html
What a stupid moron.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby ArmyOfMe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:07 pm

Italian football fans are trash. I hate them.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Serby » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Hugo wrote:Mihajlovic
I don't want to be of same nationality as this dumbarsefukk.

Stupid brainless piece of poop.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:17 pm

Her diary is one of the best ever, especially reading through her thoughts and all and knowing that she didn’t make it :cry:

However, if I were here I’d be pissed af if I found out millions read my personal diary :lol:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:23 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Her diary is one of the best ever, especially reading through her thoughts and all and knowing that she didn’t make it :cry:

However, if I were here I’d be pissed af if I found out millions read my personal diary :lol:
that is why i wouldn't call it a diary, it may have started as one, but it has become a documentary of the horrors of the Second World War.

Anne Frank was a hero for reminding everyone who reads it, that we must not let this ever happen again and should appreciate what we have achieved so far.

someone should gift the diary to Donald tho. He clearly forgot... so did those football fans.
stevyy
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:02 pm

^very true :(
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby TIfan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:26 pm

I was so ignorant. When I went to Amsterdam, I saw a long line, standing to get in a house. I finally asked my froemd, "what is in that house." When he told me it was Anne Frank's home, I almost started to cry. For some reason I thought she was in a different country.
TIfan
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:13 am

TIfan wrote:I was so ignorant. When I went to Amsterdam, I saw a long line, standing to get in a house. I finally asked my froemd, "what is in that house." When he told me it was Anne Frank's home, I almost started to cry. For some reason I thought she was in a different country.
I've seen the house as well!
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Bojan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:58 am

Hugo wrote:Mihajlovic: I do not know who Anne Frank is

Torino boss Sinisa Mihajlovic has added to the controversy sparked by Lazio fans plastering their Stadio Olimpico home with images of Anne Frank in a Roma shirt, by denying he knows who she is.Mihajlovic, a former Lazio player, was asked about the issue at a press conference when he made the surprising confession.
"I do not know who she is," he said.
"I do not read the newspapers, I cannot talk about this.
"I'm sorry, but I have to declare myself ignorant on the matter."

http://www.marca.com/en/football/intern ... b4677.html
What a stupid moron.
What a lier. We read that book in elementary school and I never met any Serb that didn't know who's Anne Frank. Except he was confused because she's Anna in Serbia. But I doubt.
Bojan
Manager

Postby Serby » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:05 am

We never read it afair? But ofc know her.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Return to World News & Politics