Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 Caught in a trap...

Moderators: tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Friday's Top 20 (October 20th)

01.(NE) Mariah Carey - The Star (Hot Shot Debut)
02.(NE) Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor
03.(NE) Taylor Swift - Gorgeous
04.(RE) Shania Twain - I'm Alright (Best Comeback)
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - Shake It Off
06.(RE) Maroon 5 - Lucky Strike
07.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
08.(RE) Mika - Love Today
09.(RE) J Balvin & Willy WIlliam - Mi Gente (feat. Beyoncé)
10.(RE) Tove Lo - Disco Tits
11.(RE) Beyoncé - I Was Here
12.(RE) Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope
13.(RE) Sam Smith - Pray
14.(RE) Lady Gaga - Alejandro
15.(RE) P!nk - F**kin' Perfect
16.(RE) Sigala & Ella Eyre - Came Here for Love
17.(RE) John Legend - Tonight (Best You Ever Had) (feat. Ludacris)
18.(RE) Delta Goodrem - Feline
19.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hil
20.(RE) Girls Aloud - The Promise
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:14 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Friday's Top 20 (October 20th)

04.(RE) Shania Twain - I'm Alright (Best Comeback)
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - Shake It Off
06.(RE) Maroon 5 - Lucky Strike
07.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
08.(RE) Mika - Love Today
09.(RE) J Balvin & Willy WIlliam - Mi Gente (feat. Beyoncé)
10.(RE) Tove Lo - Disco Tits
11.(RE) Beyoncé - I Was Here
12.(RE) Janet Jackson - Velvet Rope
13.(RE) Sam Smith - Pray
14.(RE) Lady Gaga - Alejandro
15.(RE) P!nk - F**kin' Perfect
16.(RE) Sigala & Ella Eyre - Came Here for Love
17.(RE) John Legend - Tonight (Best You Ever Had) (feat. Ludacris)
18.(RE) Delta Goodrem - Feline
19.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hil
Hi Akini :D

Ooh lots of fresh new songs to scroll through. :P :wink:

So i read this...
JSparksFan wrote:The song is bleh. She's done this theme so much more impressively before.
...and i'm like :lol:

Either that or you had a bit of a change of impression after a few more plays. I think it's nice but quite sickly sweet in a twee kinda way and i'm not getting the "aww" factor from the children's choir. I think the melody isn't as strong so lacks that emotional impact that i suspect this song was aiming for.

Better than Strip that down but still not as good as Get low. I'm still surprised that Liam has ventured down this route of "streaming hits" but i don't think of his songs so far are going to be fondly remembered in years from now. I might be wrong, only time will tell. :lol:

Well, i love the synth bits in the song. Lyrically silly nonsense lyrics but sometimes a song just needs a strong melody and the lyrics are a mere afterthought. That said, i can't see this song being amongst my all time favourite Taylor songs.

Have you heard the new single from Rita Ora yet?

The JakeP/Fan double impact. :lol: :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:05 pm

"Devil Pray" would have been indeed a great music video (and she still could have asked for all those random cameos anyway).

Oh, Liam's so freaking hot but he should have stopped singing two singles ago.

"Gorgeous" is my least favourite track of Taylor's current project.

I like the re-entry by Maroon 5 and Sam Smith, though ;)
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:17 pm

JakeP wrote:Ooh lots of fresh new songs to scroll through. :P :wink:

So i read this...
JSparksFan wrote:The song is bleh. She's done this theme so much more impressively before.
...and i'm like :lol:

Either that or you had a bit of a change of impression after a few more plays. I think it's nice but quite sickly sweet in a twee kinda way and i'm not getting the "aww" factor from the children's choir. I think the melody isn't as strong so lacks that emotional impact that i suspect this song was aiming for.
I feel similarly about the song as you do, but I really love Mimi's voice so I've been playing the song a lot lately. Since rankings on my chart are determined based on airplay and 'sales' (how much I like the song on that particular day) MC's been excelling in the airplay area to compensate for the sub-par quality of the song.

JakeP wrote:02.(NE) Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor

Better than Strip that down but still not as good as Get low. I'm still surprised that Liam has ventured down this route of "streaming hits" but i don't think of his songs so far are going to be fondly remembered in years from now. I might be wrong, only time will tell. :lol:
I definitely think "Bedroom Floor" is superior to "Strip That Down," but it's on par with "Get Low" for me. I never really thought Liam would make classic songs, to be honest. The only 1D member I ever had expectations that high for was Harry Styles, and I think I'll end up being right.

JakeP wrote:03.(NE) Taylor Swift - Gorgeous

Well, i love the synth bits in the song. Lyrically silly nonsense lyrics but sometimes a song just needs a strong melody and the lyrics are a mere afterthought. That said, i can't see this song being amongst my all time favourite Taylor songs.
Yeah, "Gorgeous" is the weakest of the three releases for me, and by some margin, too. I still think Reputation will be decent, but it's looking like it won't be on par with her other records, at this rate anyway.

JakeP wrote:Have you heard the new single from Rita Ora yet?
I listened to it today, and it's not bad. I'll have to play it a few more times.

JakeP wrote:The JakeP/Fan double impact. :lol: :P
I actually went to visit Fan's countdown after seeing this comment, so you can claim sole influence for this. :wink:

Mainshow wrote:"Devil Pray" would have been indeed a great music video (and she still could have asked for all those random cameos anyway).

Oh, Liam's so freaking hot but he should have stopped singing two singles ago.

"Gorgeous" is my least favourite track of Taylor's current project.

I like the re-entry by Maroon 5 and Sam Smith, though ;)
Unfortunately, looks and talent are two different realms. I do like "Bedroom Floor," though.

It's my least favourite, too!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:25 pm

Saturday's Top 20 (October 21st)

01.(01) Mariah Carey - The Star
02.(NE) Chris Brown - Tempo (Highest Debut)
03.(07) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (Greatest Gainer)
04.(02) Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor
05.(09) J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente
06.(03) Taylor Swift - Gorgeous (Biggest Free Faller)
07.(RE) Lady Gaga - Million Reasons (Best Comeback)
08.(RE) Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
09.(RE) Sia - Cheap Thrills
10.(RE) Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby
11.(RE) DJ Khaled - Wild Thoughts (feat. Rihanna & Bryson Tiller)
12.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
13.(RE) Sia - The Greatest (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
14.(RE) Sia - Move Your Body
15.(RE) Sia - Confetti
16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Faded
17.(RE) Girls Aloud - Untouchable
18.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Turn It into Love
19.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
20.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I love it! It makes the exploration of artists' discographies in their entirety so much easier! It also makes it relatively easy to keep up with the current hits thanks to their 'Today's Hits' section. I was sceptical at first - as I am with most changes in my routine - but I'm definitely embracing streaming as the future of music consumption. The only negative is how it's stagnated the charts to such a ridiculous extent, but that's a small price to pay.
Many thanks for the (glowing) review! There's only two Spotify options, right? Free VS Paid/Premium? I gave the free version a very brief try, but quickly discovered that you can't actually select which songs you want to hear on their free mobile app, so it's more like Pandora (which I should've seeing coming, given it's the completely-free-option, but I thought that just meant I'd have to sit through ads between tracks more often.)

Ugh. I've almost certainly griped about this before, but I definitely hate the stagnation too, especially since it's sucked quite a bit of fun out of chart following...so I try to keep reminding myself that streaming puts the power in the hands of the people (more than radio ever did, and with there being 100% free options, it's available to a wider audience than paid downloads ever were), and this just might be how the average listener consumes music (playing the same handful of hits for months on end...)

JSparksFan wrote:I completely agree. One thing a recent training session reminded me about is the need to consider both quantitative and qualitative factors in assessing significance, and I don't think "We Found Love" stacks up to "Umbrella" in the qualitative department. When you consider the 10-week rainy weather during the song's reign in the UK prompting journalists to label that incident the 'Rihanna Curse,' the iconic video that won RiRi her first VMA and for Video of the Year no less, the parodies, the airplay, the pop culture references, and even the tussle behind the scenes for Rihanna to claim the song as hers when big names like Mary J. Blige and Britney Spears were offered the track, or in the running to get it, it's hard for those factors to not more-than-comfortably offset the marginal quantitative advantage "We Found Love" has. I always felt like "We Found Love" benefitted from Rihanna coming off what was quite possibly her most impressive hit-making era, whereas "Umbrella" completely shattered everything she had done before. It was a new level for her, and still her signature song after all these years and the multitude of other global hits she's had.
Thank you for giving such a clear and confident voice to my subjective stammerings! Everything you've mentioned is SO valid, even if it's not as immediately apparent/clear-cut as WFL's impressive figures. Your last point in particular is really ringing in my mind right now: the fact that "Umbrella"s significance is still SO clear to us (and worth fighting for) even though WFL is the more recent of the two. As massive as WFL was, it by NO means made us forget or over-shadowed what "Umbrella" had achieved and the continued impact it had/has on her superstar career.

JSparksFan wrote:Projection or not, it's accurate. :wink:

I think "Perfect" just might be the best song Ed's ever done. People are quick to dismiss songs that express such unfiltered affection as trite and juvenile, but there's something that's so welcoming and reassuring about "Perfect". I guess we harden as we get older, and can't be bothered with hopeless (and blindly optimistic, overly sympathetic) depictions of romance. On the first listen, it was my favourite song on ÷, and I guess it's a reminder that that side of me you described - the one I like to call my 16-year-old self - is still very much alive.
Phew!

This might be a little selfish of me, but I'm really glad to hear that :D I obviously want you to be whatever kind of person you want, but I'm personally really endeared by the fact that you can keep that part of yourself alive - recognize it, and even embrace it - while still being a high-functioning adult/not-at-all-16-anymore in so many ways (like the way you manage your career, your family, surviving natural disasters, etc.) Long story short: I like your sweeter side, I like that "Perfect" taps into him, and I like that you totally own that.

JSparksFan wrote:01.(01) Mariah Carey - The Star
03.(07) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (Greatest Gainer)
04.(02) Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor
05.(09) J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente
06.(03) Taylor Swift - Gorgeous (Biggest Free Faller)
07.(RE) Lady Gaga - Million Reasons (Best Comeback)
09.(RE) Sia - Cheap Thrills
10.(RE) Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby
12.(RE) Taylor Swift - Look What You Made Me Do
13.(RE) Sia - The Greatest (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
14.(RE) Sia - Move Your Body
16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Faded
17.(RE) Girls Aloud - Untouchable
18.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Turn It into Love
19.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
20.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
• Ah, so now both you and stevyy are out-lambing me! I recognize that it probably seems a tad moronic to complain about a Christmas song being too heavy with Christian themes/imagery...but Mariah's served up such irresistible, iconic Christmas bops before, and this time she just went ALL-in with the "God is always with you, The Lord is your guide" angle (which totally works for the movie, but not so much for me.) I could probably overlook even these uber-pious lyrics if the melody/hook did more for me (like Carrie's "Something In The Water"), but that piece just isn't there either this time. I'm glad it's doing something for you, though! I would love to love it too, but after a few plays, I just can't see that happening.
• "Bedroom Floor", on the other hand, has COMPLETELY hooked me! Much like "Perfect", I'm especially glad to see you showing a track a lot of love when many others are so quick/eager to tear it to shreds. Sometimes popstars just want to make catchy, radio-ready pop, and I think this is a MIGHTY enjoyable example. I'm getting flashbacks to how "The Cure" was received. Any rate - time will tell if BF ultimately out-shines "Get Low" for me, but it's off to a stronger start so far!
• Not trying to nitpick here, but genuinely curious: is the Beyoncé omission on "Mi Gente" intentional/are you preferring the original now?

Yet another shining chart, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:06 am

phoenix98 wrote:Many thanks for the (glowing) review! There's only two Spotify options, right? Free VS Paid/Premium? I gave the free version a very brief try, but quickly discovered that you can't actually select which songs you want to hear on their free mobile app, so it's more like Pandora (which I should've seeing coming, given it's the completely-free-option, but I thought that just meant I'd have to sit through ads between tracks more often.)
Yeah, there's only the free and premium versions, and there's such a world of difference between the two. With the free version, I think you're allowed, like, five actual selections before you're reduced to settling for the shuffle option, and I just wasn't about that life.

phoenix98 wrote:Ugh. I've almost certainly griped about this before, but I definitely hate the stagnation too, especially since it's sucked quite a bit of fun out of chart following...so I try to keep reminding myself that streaming puts the power in the hands of the people (more than radio ever did, and with there being 100% free options, it's available to a wider audience than paid downloads ever were), and this just might be how the average listener consumes music (playing the same handful of hits for months on end...)
Unfortunately, I think that does represent the average listener. Most casual music fans have a very small pool of artists whose work they actively look out for, and usually only listen to other acts through recommendations from family or friends.

phoenix98 wrote:Thank you for giving such a clear and confident voice to my subjective stammerings! Everything you've mentioned is SO valid, even if it's not as immediately apparent/clear-cut as WFL's impressive figures. Your last point in particular is really ringing in my mind right now: the fact that "Umbrella"s significance is still SO clear to us (and worth fighting for) even though WFL is the more recent of the two. As massive as WFL was, it by NO means made us forget or over-shadowed what "Umbrella" had achieved and the continued impact it had/has on her superstar career.
And the crazy thing about Rihanna's impact is that, remove "Umbrella" and "We Found Love" from her catalogue, and you still have some of the most classic pop moments of the last quarter-century on her hitlist.

phoenix98 wrote:Phew!

This might be a little selfish of me, but I'm really glad to hear that :D I obviously want you to be whatever kind of person you want, but I'm personally really endeared by the fact that you can keep that part of yourself alive - recognize it, and even embrace it - while still being a high-functioning adult/not-at-all-16-anymore in so many ways (like the way you manage your career, your family, surviving natural disasters, etc.) Long story short: I like your sweeter side, I like that "Perfect" taps into him, and I like that you totally own that.
So much aw-age in reading that. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm sincerely touched that you like that version of me so much. I remember having a conversation with a co-worker on how the job changed my personality type - according to the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator - from an INFJ to an INTP. I explained to her that my resting/default state will always be INFJ, but that I believed different phases of life force you to tap into other dimensions of your personality to survive the new environment. So it's nice to hear that you like my 'default' side so much. You know, someone else reassured that even if I were to become a miserable old man, he'd still love me, and I was like...this.

phoenix98 wrote:• Ah, so now both you and stevyy are out-lambing me! I recognize that it probably seems a tad moronic to complain about a Christmas song being too heavy with Christian themes/imagery...but Mariah's served up such irresistible, iconic Christmas bops before, and this time she just went ALL-in with the "God is always with you, The Lord is your guide" angle (which totally works for the movie, but not so much for me.) I could probably overlook even these uber-pious lyrics if the melody/hook did more for me (like Carrie's "Something In The Water"), but that piece just isn't there either this time. I'm glad it's doing something for you, though! I would love to love it too, but after a few plays, I just can't see that happening.
Yeah, the song isn't that good to me either. It's been #1 the past two days more because of airplay than legitimate quality. I find I just love listening to Mimi's voice even if it's on a song that isn't spectacular.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Bedroom Floor", on the other hand, has COMPLETELY hooked me! Much like "Perfect", I'm especially glad to see you showing a track a lot of love when many others are so quick/eager to tear it to shreds. Sometimes popstars just want to make catchy, radio-ready pop, and I think this is a MIGHTY enjoyable example. I'm getting flashbacks to how "The Cure" was received. Any rate - time will tell if BF ultimately out-shines "Get Low" for me, but it's off to a stronger start so far!
"Bedroom Floor" is pretty sexy, too, so it has that going for it. The chorus is quite an earworm.

phoenix98 wrote:• Not trying to nitpick here, but genuinely curious: is the Beyoncé omission on "Mi Gente" intentional/are you preferring the original now?
I prefer the Beyoncé-featured remix generally, but I happened to play the original more yesterday.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:15 am

Sunday's Top 20 (October 22nd)

01.(NE) Rita Ora - Anywhere (Hot Shot Debut)
02.(RE) Mariah Carey - Stay the Night (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
04.(RE) Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - Fly Like a Bird
06.(RE) Whitney Houston - Unashamed
07.(RE) Rita Ora - Poison
08.(RE) Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask
09.(RE) Madonna - Hung Up
10.(NE) Niall Horan - Seeing Blind (feat. Maren Morris)
11.(NE) Rachel Platten - Perfect for You
12.(NE) Niall Horan - On the Loose
13.(RE) Elton John - Something About the Way You Look Tonight
14.(RE) Mariah Carey - Mine Again
15.(03) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
16.(RE) The Supremes - I Hear a Symphony
17.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Perfect
18.(RE) Girls Aloud - The Loving Kind
19.(04) Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor
20.(01) Mariah Carey - The Star (Biggest Free Faller)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Hello Akini :D

01.(NE) Rita Ora - Anywhere (Hot Shot Debut)

Aww, wow this is amazing to see. I really think this is Rita's best single yet and she's done quite a few good songs but they've never appealed to me quite like this. <3

03.(RE) Niall Horan - Slow Hands
08.(RE) Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask
10.(NE) Niall Horan - Seeing Blind (feat. Maren Morris)
12.(NE) Niall Horan - On the Loose

My blue eyed babe. :wink: What do you think of Flicker overall? I bought it on iTunes and i have to say i'm impressed for the most part. The only song that isn't doing anything for me is Fire away, i really want to love this song but its just not clicking with me.

Fun fact; i was listening to On my own and my mum thought it was a Bon Jovi song i was listening to! :lol: I'm currently adoring Seeing blind, Flicker and Mirrors. I'd say these are my early favourites from the album tracks.

Best of the rest:

04.(RE) Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down
09.(RE) Madonna - Hung Up
13.(RE) Elton John - Something About the Way You Look Tonight
15.(03) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
18.(RE) Girls Aloud - The Loving Kind
19.(04) Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor
20.(01) Mariah Carey - The Star
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:46 am

JakeP wrote:Hello Akini :D
Greetings, Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:01.(NE) Rita Ora - Anywhere (Hot Shot Debut)

Aww, wow this is amazing to see. I really think this is Rita's best single yet and she's done quite a few good songs but they've never appealed to me quite like this. <3
I am absolutely in love with "Anywhere" right now. It's so breezy that it feels like it's come a season too late, but I love it no less.

JakeP wrote:My blue eyed babe. :wink: What do you think of Flicker overall? I bought it on iTunes and i have to say i'm impressed for the most part. The only song that isn't doing anything for me is Fire away, i really want to love this song but its just not clicking with me.

Fun fact; i was listening to On my own and my mum thought it was a Bon Jovi song i was listening to! :lol: I'm currently adoring Seeing blind, Flicker and Mirrors. I'd say these are my early favourites from the album tracks.
I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, to be honest. I really only listened to Flicker because my goal is to listen to at least one new album a week, and then Sunday comes and I hadn't achieved that goal, and after seeing its projected first week numbers, I thought I might as well give it a listen. I've only listened to it once, but there were only three or four songs I thought were sub-par. Everything else was either good or solid.

Some socks do sound kinda rock-ish, so I get how your mom could have made that mistake! :lol:
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:53 am

Monday's Top 20 (October 23rd)

01.(01) Rita Ora - Anywhere
02.(RE) Britney Spears - Toxic (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Britney Spears - Oops!...I Did It Again
04.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Art of Letting Go
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - Butterfly
06.(RE) Frank Ocean - Bad Religion
07.(RE) Mariah Carey - We Belong Together
08.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
09.(RE) Lil Kim - How Many Licks? (feat. Sisqo)
10.(11) Rachel Platten - Perfect for You
11.(RE) Janet Jackson - I Get Lonely
12.(04) Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down (Biggest Free Faller)
13.(19) Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor (Greatest Gainer)
14.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure
15.(NE) Lil Kim - No Matter What They Say (Highest Debut)
16.(RE) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
17.(RE) Barbra Streisand - Memory
18.(RE) Adele - Tired
19.(RE) Janet Jackson - Together Again
20.(RE) Sia - Move Your Body
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:30 am

good to see Rita Ora at #1, I like the new song. I am excited for an album by her! :)
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Yay! :P I wonder if Rita will be able to keep the momentum going until the weekend. I've been watching her performance from The Jonathan Ross show and its visually stunning, i'd have been impressed that they done something similar to that for the music video.

Also loving these songs:

16.(RE) Coldplay - Adventure of a Lifetime
18.(RE) Adele - Tired
JakeP
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:45 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, there's only the free and premium versions, and there's such a world of difference between the two. With the free version, I think you're allowed, like, five actual selections before you're reduced to settling for the shuffle option, and I just wasn't about that life.
Agreed. I don't see myself taking the plunge in the IMMEDIATE future, but I've definitely been considering it more seriously lately than ever before (which is why I especially appreciate you sharing your experience/opinions!)

JSparksFan wrote:Unfortunately, I think that does represent the average listener. Most casual music fans have a very small pool of artists whose work they actively look out for, and usually only listen to other acts through recommendations from family or friends.
That's actually not an entirely unfitting description of my own habits... :oops: :lol:

Music does play a much more...passive role in most people's lives, though. It's background filler for workouts or long drives, and while some songs will obviously incite more passion than others, the constant discovery of new music (and subsequent discussing/sharing of said music) simply isn't an ongoing hobby/significant interest of theirs. Speaking of: I noticed you mentioning a 1-new-album-per-week policy to Jake, and that sounds like an awesome approach (and one that streaming makes much more feasible!)

JSparksFan wrote:And the crazy thing about Rihanna's impact is that, remove "Umbrella" and "We Found Love" from her catalogue, and you still have some of the most classic pop moments of the last quarter-century on her hitlist.
#stanhard

JSparksFan wrote:So much aw-age in reading that. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm sincerely touched that you like that version of me so much. I remember having a conversation with a co-worker on how the job changed my personality type - according to the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator - from an INFJ to an INTP. I explained to her that my resting/default state will always be INFJ, but that I believed different phases of life force you to tap into other dimensions of your personality to survive the new environment. So it's nice to hear that you like my 'default' side so much. You know, someone else reassured that even if I were to become a miserable old man, he'd still love me, and I was like...this.
Your job literally replaced your inclination toward feeling with thinking :lol: That's some Tin Man sh*t right there! Did you have to take the full questionnaire for work, or did you just come across a version online? I 110% agree with your response to your co-worker, though, and it makes me think of how we adapt to different situations even during the same phase of our life. The parts of you that emerge at the office might look different from the parts that emerge with your sister, or on UKMIX, but that doesn't mean any of those parts are necessarily fake, or not the "real" you. People are complex/multi-faceted, and that's what makes us so fascinating (and capable.) Props to Ed for unearthing your F!

Also: who's this guy that's been confessing how he's gonna love you until you're a miserable old man...? :o

JSparksFan wrote:"Bedroom Floor" is pretty sexy, too, so it has that going for it. The chorus is quite an earworm.
Yeah, Liam singing about clothes winding up on the floor defintiely evokes some feels...

JSparksFan wrote:01.(01) Rita Ora - Anywhere
04.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Art of Letting Go
05.(RE) Mariah Carey - Butterfly
09.(RE) Lil Kim - How Many Licks? (feat. Sisqo)
10.(11) Rachel Platten - Perfect for You
• I love that you're loving "Anywhere" :D I'd seen some comparisons to "It Ain't Me", and while I can hear the connection, this track does MUCH more for me. It was looking like a really tight race between this and "Bedroom Floor" for my next No. 1, but "Anywhere" has started pulling ahead over the past day or so. That desire to just escape from it all sometimes (with a special someone) is certainly relatable, and Rita's performance really brings that sentiment right to the surface...
• Massively pleased to see "Perfect For You" charting here! I'll say more about this one when I get around to responding to your comments over in my thread, but I'm glad this side of Rachel is doing something for you!
• Are all the JJ tracks a sign of support/solidarity after JT's Super Bowl announcement?

Yet another chart that's exactly where I want to be, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:05 am

luckyONE wrote:good to see Rita Ora at #1, I like the new song. I am excited for an album by her! :)
"Anywhere" is awesome! If it's any indication as to what the album will sound like, I should start getting excited, too.

JakeP wrote:01.(01) Rita Ora - Anywhere

Yay! :P I wonder if Rita will be able to keep the momentum going until the weekend. I've been watching her performance from The Jonathan Ross show and its visually stunning, i'd have been impressed that they done something similar to that for the music video.
To stay #1 'til the weekend is a tough ask; Top 5 is more feasible, but we'll see.

I'll have to watch that performance later.

phoenix98 wrote:Agreed. I don't see myself taking the plunge in the IMMEDIATE future, but I've definitely been considering it more seriously lately than ever before (which is why I especially appreciate you sharing your experience/opinions!)
Another thing I love about Spotify is that you know when you click on a song, you're listening to the official version, as opposed to those fake pitched ones on YouTube. #addingtothesalespitch

phoenix98 wrote:That's actually not an entirely unfitting description of my own habits... :oops: :lol:
:lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Music does play a much more...passive role in most people's lives, though. It's background filler for workouts or long drives, and while some songs will obviously incite more passion than others, the constant discovery of new music (and subsequent discussing/sharing of said music) simply isn't an ongoing hobby/significant interest of theirs. Speaking of: I noticed you mentioning a 1-new-album-per-week policy to Jake, and that sounds like an awesome approach (and one that streaming makes much more feasible!)
Yeah, I usually hate generalisations, but I can't help but feel music fans tend to be closer to the introverted end of the spectrum, as it's an experience usually best enjoyed alone. It's interesting, though, because I feel a lot of young people enjoy frequenting bars and clubs, where music is usually one of the centerpieces of the entertainment, but I suppose that's not something you spend a significant portion of your 168 hours a week doing, which lends to just casual consumption. And in societies that encourage extroversion, it wouldn't be surprising to find a dearth of variety + stagnancy among the general population's taste. #randomramblings

phoenix98 wrote:Your job literally replaced your inclination toward feeling with thinking :lol: That's some Tin Man sh*t right there! Did you have to take the full questionnaire for work, or did you just come across a version online? I 110% agree with your response to your co-worker, though, and it makes me think of how we adapt to different situations even during the same phase of our life. The parts of you that emerge at the office might look different from the parts that emerge with your sister, or on UKMIX, but that doesn't mean any of those parts are necessarily fake, or not the "real" you. People are complex/multi-faceted, and that's what makes us so fascinating (and capable.) Props to Ed for unearthing your F!
I remember taking the MBTI in my first semester of college, then I randomly decided to do it again one boring summer day to see if anything had changed.

Yeah, I think for me it's not so much people see different sides of me, they just see different depths/levels of the real me. The closer you are, obviously the more you get to see. It's cool to see who makes you comfortable to reveal the truest/most unfiltered version of yourself, though. I guess those are the people you know are your people. <3

phoenix98 wrote:Also: who's this guy that's been confessing how he's gonna love you until you're a miserable old man...? :o
Well, obviously, he didn't mean it in a romantic sense, and we both know him. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:• I love that you're loving "Anywhere" :D I'd seen some comparisons to "It Ain't Me", and while I can hear the connection, this track does MUCH more for me. It was looking like a really tight race between this and "Bedroom Floor" for my next No. 1, but "Anywhere" has started pulling ahead over the past day or so. That desire to just escape from it all sometimes (with a special someone) is certainly relatable, and Rita's performance really brings that sentiment right to the surface...
Hmm...I don't hear any "It Ain't Me" similarities.

I agree with that assessment 150%. It's why I have it on repeat when I'm at work. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Massively pleased to see "Perfect For You" charting here! I'll say more about this one when I get around to responding to your comments over in my thread, but I'm glad this side of Rachel is doing something for you!
Same! I thought she was grey all over, but turns out she has some colour she was hiding away!

phoenix98 wrote:• Are all the JJ tracks a sign of support/solidarity after JT's Super Bowl announcement?
Yep.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 am

Tuesday's Top 20 (October 24th)

02.(RE) Madonna - The Power of Goodbye (Best Comeback)
03.(09) Lil Kim - How Many Licks? (feat. Sisqo)
04.(RE) J Balvin & Willy William - Mi Gente (feat. Beyoncé)
05.(15) Lil Kim - No Matter What They Say (Greatest Gainer)
06.(RE) Aretha Franklin - Respect
07.(RE) Rita Ora - Poison
08.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
09.(RE) Rita Ora - I Will Never Let You Down
10.(RE) Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling in Love
11.(RE) Calvin Harris - Feels (feat. Pharrell Williams, Big Sean, & Katy Perry)
12.(RE) Sam Smith - Too Good at Goodbyes
13.(NE) The Five Stairsteps - O-o-h Child (Highest Debut)
14.(NE) Blue Öyster Cult - (Don't Fear) The Reaper
15.(NE) The Lovin' Spoonful - Summer in the City
16.(RE) Mariah Carey - Thirsty
17.(NE) morgxn - love you with the lights on
18.(RE) Madonna - Nothing Fails
19.(RE) Adele - Love in the Dark
20.(RE) Niall Horan - On the Loose
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:33 pm

Yess,,, first you demand R E S PE C T and then you show em how thirsty a chick can be. 2 fantastic entries of empowerment.
stevyy
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:29 am

stevyy wrote:Yess,,, first you demand R E S PE C T and then you show em how thirsty a chick can be. 2 fantastic entries of empowerment.
:lol: Glad you appreciate those two, Stevyy! :)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:36 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (October 25th)

01.(RE) Britney Spears - Why Should I Be Sad (Best Comeback)
02.(02) Madonna - The Power of Goodbye
03.(RE) Britney Spears - Gimme More
04.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Piece by Piece
05.(RE) Alicia Keys - Fallin'
06.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - I Had a Dream
07.(03) Lil Kim - How Many Licks? (feat. Sisqo)
08.(13) The Five Stairsteps - O-o-h Child (Greatest Gainer)
09.(01) Rita Ora - Anywhere (Biggest Free Faller)
10.(RE) Lady Gaga - Million Reasons
11.(RE) Madonna - This Used to Be My Playground
12.(RE) Girls Aloud - The Promise
13.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Good Goes the Bye
14.(RE) Britney Spears - Piece of Me
15.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Your Disco Needs You
16.(RE) Britney Spears - Break the Ice
17.(RE) Sia - Confetti
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - The Star
19.(RE) P!nk - But We Lost It
20.(RE) Britney Spears - Freakshow
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:32 am

Thursday's Top 20 (October 26th)

01.(01) Britney Spears - Why Should I Be Sad
02.(02) Madonna - The Power of Goodbye
03.(RE) Paula Abdul - Straight Up (Best Comeback)
04.(11) Madonna - This Used to Be My Playground (Greatest Gainer)
05.(03) Britney Spears - Gimme More
06.(RE) Mariah Carey - Fly Like a Bird
07.(RE) Ariana Grande - One Last Time
08.(RE) Air Supply - Making Love Out of Nothing at All
09.(09) Rita Ora - Anywhere
10.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
11.(16) Britney Spears - Break the Ice
12.(RE) Toni Braxton - He Wasn't Man Enough
13.(RE) Madonna - La Isla Bonita
14.(RE) Air Supply - Making Love Out of Nothing at All
15.(RE) Sia - Day Too Soon
16.(14) Britney Spears - Piece of Me (Best Comeback)
17.(RE) Niall Horan - Too Much to Ask
18.(RE) Lily Allen - F**k You
19.(RE) Sam Smith - Too Good at Goodbyes
20.(RE) P!nk - F**kin' Perfect
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby CelinetoBarbra » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:13 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Monday's Top 20 (October 23rd)
y
The single record only one year after Woman In Love, thegreatest voices across genres!
BARBRA
★Mom of Divas
★2Osc+  10Gram+  5Em+  Tony 
★Best-selling ♀ Artist
★Biggest Box office Actress
★Only Artist No.1 in 7 Decades
★1st Osc♀ Composer
CelinetoBarbra
Personal Assistant

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:38 am

CelinetoBarbra wrote:The single record only one year after Woman In Love, thegreatest voices across genres!
"Memory" is indeed an awesome song, and I don't think anyone could pull it off the way Barbra did!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:44 am

Friday's Top 20 (October 27th)

01.(02) Madonna - The Power of Goodbye
02.(RE) John Lennon - Imagine (Best Comeback)
03.(RE) Eminem - Not Afraid
04.(NE) Migos, Cardi B, & Nicki Minaj - Motor Sport (Highest Debut)
05.(09) Rita Ora - Anywhere (Greatest Gainer)
06.(06) Mariah Carey - Fly Like a Bird
07.(RE) The Supremes - Stop! In the Name of Love
08.(RE) Jennifer Lopez - On the Floor (feat. Pitbull)
09.(RE) Toni Braxton - He Wasn't Man Enough
10.(05) Britney Spears - Gimme More
11.(RE) Britney Spears - Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortes)
12.(RE) Tina Turner - On Silent Wings
13.(RE) Ciara - Dance Like We're Making Love
14.(16) Britney Spears - Piece of Me
15.(RE) Tina Turner - Till the Right Man Comes Along
16.(15) Sia - Day Too Soon
17.(11) Britney Spears - Break the Ice
18.(08) Air Supply - Making Love Out of Nothing at All (Biggest Free Faller)
19.(RE) Tina Turner - What's Love Got to Do with It
20.(RE) Eminem - We Made You
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:08 am

Your #1 is stunning.

And I love to see all "Blackout" singles on your chart. What a great way to celebrate the album's 10th anniversary. I can't believe Britney's triumphant comeback (musically speaking) was 10 years ago. Time flies!
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:28 am

Mainshow wrote:Your #1 is stunning.

And I love to see all "Blackout" singles on your chart. What a great way to celebrate the album's 10th anniversary. I can't believe Britney's triumphant comeback (musically speaking) was 10 years ago. Time flies!
It really does! However, somehow Blackout manages to defy time and sound even fresher every year. Every time I revisit a song, I'll notice and appreciate some new nuance I had missed before, and that says a lot about an album I've played perhaps more than any other that I'm still able to discover great new qualities in each song.
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts