Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Orchestral Greatest Hits

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby jszmiles » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:53 pm

An album of Sophie Ellis-Bextor’s Greatest Hits…. but not as you know them. This new album features orchestral re-workings of her Greatest Hits, arranged by Amy Langley and produced by Ed Harcourt.

Releasing in Spring 2018, you can pre-order now on digital download and limited edition signed physical formats, alongside a range of exclusive merchandise (please note – not final designs shown below).
https://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/so ... cebook_ads
jszmiles
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 pm

Pledge is the sign Sophie's given up on sales.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby kaushik » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:51 am

heppolo wrote:Pledge is the sign Sophie's given up on sales.
But her last two albums shifted a decent number of copies... and she's doing really well as an independent artist.

She is also working on album #7 simultaneously which will be out after the GH album - but we don't have any details about that album yet.
kaushik
Personal Assistant

Postby Debs_Wild » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:09 am

kaushik wrote:But her last two albums shifted a decent number of copies...
That's not accurate. Wanderlust did well, but the last one flopped on its arse.
Debs_Wild
Personal Assistant

Postby SilentDream » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:50 am

Why did she never happen though? Radio friendly songs, unique voice, decent vocals, she seems like a likeable person overall, she looks great and she had a successful career start (so it's not like no one has known her from the start).
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
#TriggerBangGang

Paloma Faith - The Architect | Album Survivor
SilentDream
Manager

Postby ArmyOfMe » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:32 am

Another useless album :evil:
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:53 am

Cute idea.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby picciottino » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:00 am

Same thing Evanescence are doing
picciottino
Manager

Postby Thriller » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:18 am

Aside from Kylie's Abbey Road, these sort of projects do nothing for me. An actual greatest hits would be much more exciting, I really think if she'd done that with a strong new single (like Come With Us style) then it could've been a moderate success.

It's horrible to see she's not had a top 75 single in over four years!
Thriller

Postby Benjamin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:19 am

Thriller wrote:It's horrible to see she's not had a top 75 single in over four years!
Oh wow! She deserves so much more.
What was her last single to chart inside Top 75 in the UK?
'Young Blood'?
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Thriller » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 am

Benjamin wrote:
Thriller wrote:It's horrible to see she's not had a top 75 single in over four years!
'Young Blood'?
Yeah, #34.

I thought Come With Us was one of the best singles she's ever released, in her hey day it would've been top 10. Wild Forever was also really good.
Thriller

Postby Benjamin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 am

Thriller wrote:
Benjamin wrote:
'Young Blood'?
Yeah, #34.

I thought Come With Us was one of the best singles she's ever released, in her hey day it would've been top 10. Wild Forever was also really good.
Agreed, 'Come With Us' should've been a hit. 'Wild Forever' too.
'Crystalized' was a bad single choice though.

Also, I'd like to hear Sophie on a proper dance record again.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:55 am

SilentDream wrote:Why did she never happen though? Radio friendly songs, unique voice, decent vocals, she seems like a likeable person overall, she looks great and she had a successful career start (so it's not like no one has known her from the start).
she is a bit too posh for MOR and not charismatic enough to pull off soul or indie pop thing
her best single lately was "Love Is A Camera"
heppolo
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:07 am

This Orchestral idea is getting quite common now, Elvis has a third one out in as many years and Aretha & Roy Orbison have got theirs out this year too, not forgetting the second Pete Tong orchestral album and the Mike Pickering Hacienda one from last year. Having said that, I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with for Sophie's excellent back catalogue and I think this will sell very well as the Radio 2 audience will lap this up.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby SilentDream » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:31 pm

heppolo wrote:
SilentDream wrote:Why did she never happen though? Radio friendly songs, unique voice, decent vocals, she seems like a likeable person overall, she looks great and she had a successful career start (so it's not like no one has known her from the start).
she is a bit too posh for MOR and not charismatic enough to pull off soul or indie pop thing
her best single lately was "Love Is A Camera"
True, she might not seem authentic enough to some people as an indie pop artist, especially because she started as a dance pop artist. However, she was doing dance pop until her 4th album, but her career already started flopping with her 2nd album, so I don't think that's the (only) reason tbh.
The Fourth Wall
#T4W
#TriggerBangGang

Paloma Faith - The Architect | Album Survivor
SilentDream
Manager

Postby jszmiles » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Benjamin wrote:Also, I'd like to hear Sophie on a proper dance record again.
thius actually, her collabo with Spiller, Armin and Bittersweet were her best, but nothing came close to Today The Sun's on Us though. :oops:
jszmiles
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:42 pm

jszmiles wrote:
Benjamin wrote:Also, I'd like to hear Sophie on a proper dance record again.
thius actually, her collabo with Spiller, Armin and Bittersweet were her best, but nothing came close to Today The Sun's on Us though. :oops:
'Groovejet' is a classic :D Whenever I hear it, it brings me back to the year 2000 when dance music was so good.
I hope she includes this on the album. Interesting to hear an orchestra version of this masterpiece.

I agree! 'Today The Sun's On Us' is one of her best songs. :) Did they release any remixes for it?
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:52 pm

jszmiles wrote: but nothing came close to Today The Sun's on Us though. :oops:
which didn't even make top 40
heppolo
Legend

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:24 pm

heppolo wrote:
That doesn't say anything about the quality of the song, though. I would easily rank that as her best one as well.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Thriller wrote:Aside from Kylie's Abbey Road, these sort of projects do nothing for me. An actual greatest hits would be much more exciting, I really think if she'd done that with a strong new single (like Come With Us style) then it could've been a moderate success.

It's horrible to see she's not had a top 75 single in over four years!
As an independent artist, re-recording the songs means she doesn’t have to pay her original label anything, as she’s not using their property. I assume Sophie owns her own songs so is free to use them however she sees fit.

Blondie did the same with their 40th anniversary re-recorded album. They said it was to show how they perform each song now... but then included the album version of Maria :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 pm

I don’t think she wanted it enough. It all went wrong with her 2nd album - she was at the top of the music scene with her debut album but the second wasn’t strong and it only went to #19. She gave up on the era when she fell pregnant then the music scene changed and it took her about 4 years to really return... to a career that wasn’t in the best shape anyway. Then she cancelled her and didn’t establish herself a strong live act.

I think she’s probably happy just dipping in and out of music now. She’s incredibly lucky to have had the success she did with Spiller and her first album, because frankly that’s all she is really known for to the public and it’s allowed her to fashion a career of sorts for 15 years.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Fan wrote:
heppolo wrote:
That doesn't say anything about the quality of the song, though. I would easily rank that as her best one as well.
I think it's a bit meh, not catchy enough, nothing memorable about it in the slightest.
''Catch You'' is my fave (though she looks a bit anorexic in the music video), it has a nice electropop-pop rock vibe.
heppolo
Legend

Postby jpguy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 pm

It's annoying she didn't happen though. She has released cute bops like the track with Armin or Catch You, Me and my imagination. Familia has Come With Us
::: BTS: Beyond the scene :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Carbon » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 pm

heppolo wrote:
Fan wrote:
heppolo wrote:
I think it's a bit meh, not catchy enough, nothing memorable about it in the slightest.
''Catch You'' is my fave (though she looks a bit anorexic in the music video), it has a nice electropop-pop rock vibe.
Today the Sun's on Us is amazing, for me one of her best

Her 2nd album killed her career, she needed a more accessible followup. Had she released her 3rd album (and Catch You) as the 2nd, I think she'd at least have one more hit album/single in her discography, and maybe more
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm surprised her second album is so unpopular, in fact she rarely performs anything from it either, so it will be interesting to see if anything from it makes the cut, but I think some of her best work is on it, such as Mixed Up World, Party In My Head and Walls Keep Saying Your Name.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Return to Pop