Britney Spears

Moderators: biscuits, JSparksFan, stevyy, Benjamin

As we celebrate Blackout's 10th anniversary, what are your own THREE favourite tracks?

1. Gimme More
26%
2. Piece of me
16%
3. Radar
4%
4. Break the ice
14%
5. Heaven on earth
2%
6. Get naked (I got a plan)
14%
7. Freakshow
4%
8. Toy soldier
4%
9. Hot as ice
3%
10. Ooh ooh baby
1%
11. Perfect lover
1%
12. Why should I be sad?
4%
13. Outta this world
2%
14. Get back
2%
15. Everybody
1%

Total votes : 146

Postby BehindBreakaway » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
SCHoli wrote:She already did all these things! :lol:
She will likely do it again in her 40s when her kids leave home for college. :lol:

SCHoli wrote:I think Britney will fade even more in the future! It seems like she has no creative vision! She brought nothing new to the table in terms of abilities since Blackout! Her performances have gotten boring and lukewarm! Everytime I see the beginning of "Work Bitch" in Vegas where she is standing there and twitches like a fish out of water it just make me grin.
She was indeed musically stuck after "Blackout". Like there wasn't musical edge anymore (most of her fans love "Circus" tho). However I think "Glory" was a step in the right direction, its her best critically received album of the last 10 years (in fact I think "Glory" is her 3rd best album ever) and she looks in great shape. I don't think she will ever be a big album seller anymore, but she will keep releasing albums no matter what. :wink:
I agree completely. Britney showed with Glory she still has what it takes to release critically respected music. The reviews for Glory where majorly positive.

Also, have you seen Britney perform work bitch in person or just on YouTube. In person it looks anything but a fish out of water.
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant

Postby Instinct » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:23 pm

SCHoli wrote:
MrLeonix wrote:And then, when her kids leave home and the 40s / mid-life crisis gets her she'll likely start acting desperate, showing tits, dating 18 y.o guys, and releasing generic dance DJ tunes :lol: :lol:
She already did all these things! :lol:

I think Britney will fade even more in the future! It seems like she has no creative vision! She brought nothing new to the table in terms of abilities since Blackout! Her performances have gotten boring and lukewarm! Everytime I see the beginning of "Work Bitch" in Vegas where she is standing there and twitches like a fish out of water it just make me grin.
She's 20 years into her career :lol: Of course she won't be as big as she was 10 years ago.
Instinct
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:21 am

BehindBreakaway wrote:I agree completely. Britney showed with Glory she still has what it takes to release critically respected music. The reviews for Glory where majorly positive.
I agree, and honestly I feel like "Glory" is her only album that you can't really directly compare with her previous ones because the industry has changed so much, its basically a different new world music industry-wise and this is her first album to be released in this new industry. You can't really compare "Glory" to "In the zone" or "Circus" or even "Femme Fatale", the market is completely different and you can get lost in that comparison because its like comparing the earth to mars, like two completely different worlds.

I pretty much know "Glory" underperformed in the end, but Britney is not as disassociated with or off the radar from the music industry current standards as some people believe or make it seem, there are artists that are doing better than her but there are also other younger and relevant stars that are starting to do bellow her, new generation and younger female idols' such as Kelly Clarkson, Lana del Rey, Miley Cyrus, Meghan Trainor, Lorde, Demi Lovato, etc are pulling worse opening numbers than "Glory" and some of them won't even reach Glory's final sales either (Miley Cyrus hasn't even reached 50K in US in 6 weeks). The music market has changed and most albums are not reaching 1m WW sales anymore. And even Maroon 5 are set to open with similar numbers to "Glory" despite the fact they have ticket bundles (Maroon 5 - 120K with ticket bundle / Glory - 111K without ticket bundle).

All of these recent artists' numbers just prove that Britney still has a fanbase that supports her and that somehow her performance was underrated. And her single "Make me" also reached the Top 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the 2016 scene despite the fact that streaming dominates now and that streaming even hurts veteran acts' singles performances more than anything these days. Many artists are not pulling Top 20 singles anymore, and Britney could in this climate, and on top of that her album got rave reviews and was supported by critics.

This is a new industry and its impossible to compare "Glory" with anything she did in the past. It just doesn't work and it can't be comparable.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby SCHoli » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:00 am

MrLeonix wrote:I pretty much know "Glory" underperformed in the end, but Britney is not as disassociated with or off the radar from the music industry current standards as some people believe or make it seem, there are artists that are doing better than her but there are also other younger and relevant stars that are starting to do bellow her, new generation and younger female idols' such as Kelly Clarkson, Lana del Rey, Miley Cyrus, Meghan Trainor, Lorde, Demi Lovato, etc are pulling worse opening numbers than "Glory" and some of them won't even reach Glory's final sales either (Miley Cyrus hasn't even reached 50K in US in 6 weeks). The music market has changed and most albums are not reaching 1m WW sales anymore. And even Maroon 5 are set to open with similar numbers to "Glory" despite the fact they have ticket bundles (Maroon 5 - 120K with ticket bundle / Glory - 111K without ticket bundle).

All of these recent artists' numbers just prove that Britney still has a fanbase that supports her and that somehow her performance was underrated. And her single "Make me" also reached the Top 20 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the 2016 scene despite the fact that streaming dominates now and that streaming even hurts veteran acts' singles performances more than anything these days. Many artists are not pulling Top 20 singles anymore, and Britney could in this climate, and on top of that her album got rave reviews and was supported by critics.

This is a new industry and its impossible to compare "Glory" with anything she did in the past. It just doesn't work and it can't be comparable.
I never said Glory was a bad album or did underperform (although it did) but in Europe no one knew she had a new single or album. She got good peaks because she still has a loyal fanbase left but the general public hasn't connected with her since 2009 (not because the industry is different). And this trend will only continue if she doesn't step up her game! And it will get worst in the US too because she has just become boring and predictable! For example, if she was doing the super bowl we all know exactly what she would do: 5 songs from her vegas show in an lingerie outfit!
SCHoli
Personal Assistant

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:43 pm

SCHoli wrote:I never said Glory was a bad album or did underperform (although it did) but in Europe no one knew she had a new single or album. She got good peaks because she still has a loyal fanbase left but the general public hasn't connected with her since 2009 (not because the industry is different). And this trend will only continue if she doesn't step up her game! And it will get worst in the US too because she has just become boring and predictable! For example, if she was doing the super bowl we all know exactly what she would do: 5 songs from her vegas show in an lingerie outfit!
Oh I get it, in that sense I agree, there's a lot of a predictable persona in her career now and her team is indeed super basic and plain these days. That IMO also needs to change, like some marketing and presentation revamp wouldn't harm, but thats another issue. At least they will finally end / conclude her Vegas show (which was already tired) this December. So I hope for a new direction, ideas and costumes for next era.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby BodyShop » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:22 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
BodyShop wrote:To think that,by then ,she'll be 40 is sooooo weird.
In my mind ,she's always a symbol of youth so,whenever I see her or think about her,i never associate her image/figure with one of a 40 yo woman.
Where did time go ? :cry:
Well,I'll be 41 so what do I know anyway ? :lol:
Yep, its weird, one tend to not realize she's been for 20 years in the business already.

Her next album which will be her last one in her 30s will likely be (IMO) a Gem and a great follow-up to "Glory", then by the time she approaches 40, I think she's gonna take it really seriously and I actually expect a more serious instrospective spiritual album ..... And then, when her kids leave home and the 40s / mid-life crisis gets her she'll likely start acting desperate, showing tits, dating 18 y.o guys, and releasing generic dance DJ tunes :lol: :lol:
If you had written 50s instead of 40s I would swear we were talking about Madonna instead :lol:
BodyShop
Manager

Postby britboyphil » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:38 am

I hope she reinvents herself the way Janet did with All For You. I want the cool, sexy, funky Brit back. Im tired of the slutty image of hers.

I want the Britney of the Britney era back in terms of image.
britboyphil
Manager

Postby Instinct » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:42 am

britboyphil wrote:I hope she reinvents herself the way Janet did with All For You. I want the cool, sexy, funky Brit back. Im tired of the slutty image of hers.

I want the Britney of the Britney era back in terms of image.
I hope you do realize this was Janet during the All For You era :lol:

Instinct
Manager

Postby britboyphil » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:24 am

^That I didn't know.

What I mean is the imaging for Janet Jackson from the All For You music video. She was so cool, sexy, funky. Jeans and jackets could be way more cool and sexier than Brit's lingerie.
britboyphil
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:33 am

britboyphil wrote:^That I didn't know.

What I mean is the imaging for Janet Jackson from the All For You music video. She was so cool, sexy, funky. Jeans and jackets could be way more cool and sexier than Brit's lingerie.
I think you used a bad example, like Janet didn't reinvent at all with "All for you" she was just a sexbot and her career went down from there.

Perhaps you mean "The velvet rope", where she reinvented herself into a more artistic, deep yet fresh and cool artist.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:30 pm

Britney: "Secret Project"
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbVMUZKFfcP ... tneyspears

It will probably a something for a new fragance :D
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Mainshow wrote:Britney: "Secret Project"

Definately a fragance :lol:
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Erotica » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:02 pm

MrLeonix wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Britney: "Secret Project"

Definately a fragance :lol:
yes, what else :lol:
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Instinct » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:24 am

New pic from the Make Me video

Instinct
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:33 am

^ Thats better than the stupid album cover we got from "Glory" :lol:

Say whatever you want about the infamous second music video we got from "Make me", but she looked stunning and gorgeous on it, beauty-wise / looks-wise it may even be her best one this decade. . . . So many beautiful shots to choose yet they chose the worst shot of the music video for the cover :lol:
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby britboyphil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:25 am

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 9677118233

What is the secret project Brit is cooking with the German photographer, Peter Lindbergh?
britboyphil
Manager

Postby Instinct » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:44 am

"In the Zone" was released 14 years ago today!

"In the Zone" is the fourth studio album by American singer Britney Spears. It was released on November 12, 2003 through Jive Records. Its music incorporates dance, house, reggae, trip hop, and hip hop styles with instrumentation from guitars, drums, synthesizers, strings, and Middle Eastern musical instruments. Its themes range from love, dancing, empowerment, and in the case of songs such as "Touch of My Hand", sex and masturbation. Contributions to the album's production came from a wide range of producers, including Bloodshy & Avant, R. Kelly, Trixster, Moby, Guy Sigsworth and The Matrix.

-Debuted at #1 on the US Billboard 200 with first-week sales of 609,000 copies
-7,000,000 copies sold worldwide
-Made Britney the first female in history to have her first four albums debut at #1 on the US Billboard 200
-Britney's most streamed album on Spotify
-Spawed two #1 hits in the UK ("Toxic", "Everytime")
-Spawed three #1 hits in Australia ("Me Against the Music"; "Toxic", "Everytime")
-Spawed three #1 hits in Ireland ("Me Against the Music"; "Toxic", "Everytime")
-One of the best-selling albums of the 2000s decade
-"Toxic" was the 9th best-selling single of 2004 in the UK
-"Everytime" was the 18th best-selling single of 2004 in the UK
-17,350,000 records sold worldwide
-"Toxic" won Britney her first Grammy Award for Best Dance Recording
-One of only three albums in history to have all singles go to #1 in Australia
-Certified in 38 countries
-NPR included the album on "The 50 Most Important Recordings of the Decade" list, calling it "a primer on the sound of pop in the '00s"

Worldwide sales (courtesy of http//chartmasters.org and Britney.com)

America
US – 3,300,000
Canada – 350,000
Argentina – 50,000
Brazil – 120,000
Mexico – 150,000
Venezuela – 10,000
Chile – 17,500

Asia – 1,080,000
Japan – 450,000
South Korea – 135,000
Taiwan – 35,000
Hong Kong – 20,000
Philippines – 55,000
Indonesia – 160,000
Malaysia – 25,000
Thailand – 85,000
Singapore – 20,000
India – 25,000

Oceania
Australia – 120,000
New Zealand – 15,000
Africa
South Africa – 35,000

Europe – 1,620,000
UK – 550,000
France – 280,000
Germany – 215,000
Italy – 70,000
Spain – 75,000
Sweden – 35,000
Netherlands – 40,000
Switzerland – 35,000
Austria – 30,000
Finland – 15,000
Ireland – 30,000
Portugal – 25,000
Greece – 10,000
Turkey – 5,000
Belgium – 40,000
Czech Republic – 12,500
Hungary – 15,000
Poland – 10,000
Denmark – 25,000
Norway – 25,000
Russia – 50,000

Happy 14th anniversary to this amazing pop album and undoubtedly one of Britney's most important eras!

The peaks for the singles in the UK, Australia, Ireland and Canada are so nice to look at 8-)

UK:
#2 "Me Against the Music"
#1 "Toxic"
#1 "Everytime"

Australia:
#1 "Me Against the Music"
#1 "Toxic"
#1 "Everytime"

Ireland:
#1 "Me Against the Music"
#1 "Toxic"
#1 "Everytime"

Canada:
#2 "Me Against the Music"
#1 "Toxic"
#2 "Everytime"
Instinct
Manager

Postby MrLeonix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Happy 14th anniversary to Britney's most defining album and best era!!

Even though "Blackout" is pretty much her magnum opus according to every publication I feel that "In the zone" as an era is what ultimately defines Britney Spears. This album IMO represents her full liberation and its placed right in the middle of her early bubblegum career and her less interesting late career, so the record is the perfect ballance that sets the best Britney version while she was at the top of her artistry.

I think the album was really successful for only having 3 global singles, it just proves this was going to outsell her previous album "Britney" if she had continued working on the era until the end. The released singles are top-notched regardless and the main three showcase a different side of Britney as a dancer (MATM), epic Pop star (Toxic), deep songwriter (Everytime). She has not shown before or after this much diversity in style and approaches as a an artist. She was ahead of the pop scene with this one.

This is pretty much the public's favorite Britney studio album these days, there is a reason why it is her most streamed album and her singles are so remembered and adored, its a pop era worthy of revisit.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Love the album, hate the blue cover.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby britboyphil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:22 pm

menime123 wrote:Love the album, hate the blue cover.
on the contrary, I love the blue cover. It is soooooo cool. for me it is her best album cover. circus and britney jean's are next best album cover.

honestly, it is only recently that I get to appreciate In The Zone as a whole, although I love the three singles when they were released. Maybe at the time it was released, some of the songs were too sexy and explicit for me. But now, songs like breathe on me, touch of my hand and early morning are ok with me. I love the production and the variety of sounds/songs in it. But for some reasons, it still is not among my favorite albums of Britney. I still prefer Blackout, Britney and Femme Fatale.
britboyphil
Manager

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:34 pm

britboyphil wrote:
menime123 wrote:Love the album, hate the blue cover.
on the contrary, I love the blue cover. It is soooooo cool. for me it is her best album cover. circus and britney jean's are next best album cover.

honestly, it is only recently that I get to appreciate In The Zone as a whole, although I love the three singles when they were released. Maybe at the time it was released, some of the songs were too sexy and explicit for me. But now, songs like breathe on me, touch of my hand and early morning are ok with me. I love the production and the variety of sounds/songs in it. But for some reasons, it still is not among my favorite albums of Britney. I still prefer Blackout, Britney and Femme Fatale.
Her best album cover is OUDIA but truthfully, her album cover choices have always been a bit questionable.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby MrLeonix » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:22 pm

I just remember "In the zone" like it was yesterday. This was her first era where she actually grew in success as she was releasing the singles, prior to this album the status quo in her careee was: nothing will be more successful or impactful than the lead single. With "In the zone" it was different and a new way to experience an era as a Britney fan. I remember that "Me against the music" was really popular when it came out, it was on heavy rotation and was a hit on global charts but as soon as she released "Toxic" I just simply forgot about MATM in one second, that was the song! It was an even greater hit for her and was a staple hit from the 2004 scene, then she released "Everytime" which was also more successful than MATM and it was even bigger than "Toxic" in some markets such as in Germany or France. It was just simply great to experience this era as It wasn't her usual massive lead single / epic start standard, in the US the album had an epic debut but I must say that outside the US you will find that ITZ was among her worst peaking albums because it actually started slow in some markets and just kept selling steady and growing consistently due to its effective and brilliant singles.
Last edited by MrLeonix on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:32 pm

It helped that Toxic was bigger and better than MATM in every single way a pop song can be. I love MATM but it’s subpar for such megastars.
menime123
Superstar

Postby britboyphil » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:41 am

menime123 wrote:It helped that Toxic was bigger and better than MATM in every single way a pop song can be. I love MATM but it’s subpar for such megastars.
and stories has it that Britney fought for Toxic to be released as second single. her label wanted to release a more rnb single. it turned out that Britney's instinct is magic.

Me Against The Music has more killer choreo. And she sang it live at the TRL.
britboyphil
Manager

Postby mznxbcv » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:12 am

menime123 wrote:It helped that Toxic was bigger and better than MATM in every single way a pop song can be. I love MATM but it’s subpar for such megastars.
I do think if Janet Jackson, and not Madonna, was in that MATM video, it would be far, far more remembered today.

britboyphil wrote:and stories has it that Britney fought for Toxic to be released as second single. her label wanted to release a more rnb single. it turned out that Britney's instinct is magic.
It's funny that a lot of people want to credit Britney's 'team' but these articles are from 2003, before 'Toxic' was released as a single in 2004:

[In The Zone] is a pure pop CD, which is not a formula for success in a time when the top-10 singles charts are dominated almost entirely by rap and R & B.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/02/arts/music-growing-up-britney-did-it-again.html

After trying to choose between "(I Got That) Boom Boom" and "Outrageous," Britney Spears has instead selected "Toxic" as her follow-up single to "Me Against the Music." "It's a very fun, upbeat song," Spears said of the track, on which she sings of being addicted to the wrong type of guy. "Bloodshy did it, they're great producers. The way they did it musically was very cool, and really different, that's why I like it so much.
http://www.mtv.com/news/1480989/for-the-record-quick-news-on-britney-spears-jay-z-gwyneth-and-chris-weezer-3-doors-down-more/

A bit off topic from the recent discussions, but does anyone know how much Britney's debut tour, ...Baby One More Time Tour, which includes the Crazy 2k Tour, grossed? It seems to be hard to find sources that show how much it grossed.
mznxbcv
Groupie

Return to General Artists Discussion