A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

Postby Erotica » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Let's start to revive this section and give the classic movies a platform, all these masterpieces need topics. We start with a movie from 1951.

Starring
Vivien Leigh
Marlon Brando
Kim Hunter
Karl Malden

Trailer

Let's discuss :)
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 pm

I am a huge fan of old Hollywood. I’m always exploring the classics from the golden era of Hollywood and I love exploring what made the legends legends.

My history with A Streetcar Named Desire is relatively short, only discovering it a few years ago. In fact my first encounter with Streetcar was seeing the stage play in London - the amazing Gillian Anderson played Blanche:

It was glorious and Gillian - having never seen The X Files - was superb. I have no idea why she isn’t bigger than she is. I fell in love with Blanche, and I hated Stanley.

So I bought the movie and one or two edits aside and it’s very much the same - incredibly claustrophobic. I knew Vivian Leigh from (one of my all time favourite movies) Gone With The Wind and was really keen to see her in another role because I associate her so much with Scarlett O’Hara (side note but isn’t that such a wonderful name? I love the names ‘Scarlett O’Hara’ and Blanche Du Bois - so iconic and camp).

Vivian plays Blanche quite well. Well, pretty well. I feel her performance is is very much like that of Scarlett - quite the ‘airhead’. She won me over though and as Blanche descends into madness, she fully earns and deserved her Oscar for the role.

The real revelation of the film though is Marlon Brando. My god, how I’d have ridden that Streetcar:

Shockingly, out of the four leads he was the only one not to win an Oscar (all of the other 3 did). He’s wonderful in Stanley - who I love to hate.

In terms of the play to movie changes, in the play Stanley rapes Blanche whereas it’s a bit more ambiguous in the movie. However Hollywood homophobia was well in play as in the play, Blanche’s husband killed himself after she found him in bed with a man. This is changed in the movie.

I love this film I really do. Blanche’s descent into her safe haven and her fantasy world I think is something we can all relate to on some level. The sad truth though is that we never discover Blanche’s fate - we don’t know if made it through to the other side, recovered or found happiness. I suspect she didn’t, making it one hell of a fake story.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Erotica » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:53 am

Thanks for making a comment on it :) good start :)

I really like the simplicity of the movie and even though it's kinda old now and also looks a bit old the film is still great, somehow love that it's in black and white. Marlon and Vivien are great in the movie, they play their parts really well. marlon is adorable in some way in this movie anyway and he serves so many iconic pictures.

I always asked myself if Blanche from Golden Girls has parts of Vivien's Blanche in the series, all in all I think so ^^
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Odyssey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:18 pm

Love to see this topic.
Amazing film. Best Vivien Leigh performance by far, I was mesmerized. And Brando was great as well, this made him a star.
Odyssey
Personal Assistant

Return to Movies