Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2017?

Anywhere
13%
Bodak Yellow
33%
Despacito
7%
Havana
20%
How Far I'll Go
No votes
I Don't Wanna Live Forever
7%
Lost on You
No votes
Redbone
7%
Scars to Your Beautiful
No votes
That's What I Like
13%

Total votes : 15

Postby Benny » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:21 pm

'Swish Swish' is okay but imo it doesn't come close to the first two singles from Katy's latest album.
Benny
Legend

Postby Carbon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Hmm Cut to the Feeling sounds like a typical Carly song, but for some reason it hasn't grown on me like her Emotion songs

I like Swish Swish, especially the beat and Nicki's part, but somehow I like it less and less as time goes by :lol: it's a cool track, and would've been a bigger success if Bon Appetit hadn't happened (and if she released the music video on time, not a million days too late)
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:50 am

"swish swish" is cute but unfortunately the entire "witness" album was disappointing for me.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Really really tough to choose one option in your poll, but i went with "Bodak Yellow". "Anywhere" would have been a second option to me.

Now it's time for me to catch up with the countdown...

Spoiler:
134. Taylor Swift - Gorgeous
133. Cheat Codes - No Promises (feat. Demi Lovato)
131. Troye Sivan - Heaven
130. Rita Ora - Your Song
129. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (feat. Quavo)
128. Shania Twain - Life's About to Get Good
125. The Weeknd - Reminder
124. The Weeknd - Rockin'
120. Linkin Park - Heavy (feat. Kiiara)
116. Kygo & Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me
115. Noah Cyrus - Make Me (Cry) [feat. Labrinth]
113. Anne-Marie - Ciao Adiós
111. Anastacia - Caught in the Middle
107. Macklemore - Glorious (feat. Skylar Grey)
105. Kendrick Lamar - Humble
102. Charlie Puth - Attention

^ These are all songs i enjoy/like on the missing list. No big losses, but still quite a few good ones.

Now on to the main countdown...

099. P!nk - What About Us
097. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves

Nice first bunch. I think i would enjoy these two Chris Brown songs as well but i simply don't remember them. I checked his last album out but with nearly 50 songs and not being the biggest R&B fan it was really tough for me to recognize the songs :oops:
"Wolves" is a guilty pleasure though far away from Selena's best tunes. Love the melody in the chorus. "What About Us" was a great comeback for P!nk. At first i thought it was too much trend-hopping, but now i actually think while it may sound like some other current stuff, she still did her own thing with it.

092. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
091. David Guetta - Light My Body Up (feat. Nicki Minaj & Lil Wayne)

Surprised to see "Light My Body Up" :o So underrated! Nicki's on fire here, especially the chorus, which is awesome! Guetta's best track this year for sure, i never got much into "2U". Should have been a hit for them all. Shawn's song is nice, too.

090. Kesha - Praying

The only song i enjoy on the third batch is Kesha's track, but this is an awesome one! Definitely one of the best songs of 2017 for me. LOVE the video, how it builds up... and who expected her to slay the live performance of this the way she did? Definitely the best comeback of the year for me.

085. IMRI - I Feel Alive
084. Demi Lovato - Sexy Dirty Love
083. Niall Horan - This Town
082. Justin Bieber & BloodPop - Friends
081. Sam Smith - Too Good at Goodbyes

5/5 in this batch. Well, Sam's song is definitely by far my fave here, another great return to the music scene in 2017. I don't think his new album is as strong as his debut, but "Too Good At Goodbyes" is definitely typical Sam, in a good way. The others are all nice.

080. Lady Antebellum - You Look Good
079. Kesha - Hymn
078. Imagine Dragons - Thunder
077. Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life (feat. The Weeknd)
076. Alice Merton - No Roots

Another great batch. "Hymn" would be an awesome choice for an upcoming single of "Rainbow", probably the biggest grower for me when the album came out, as i wasn't a fan of it at first. "Thunder" and "Lust For Life" are both awesome!

075. John Mayer - Love on the Weekend
074. Imagine Dragons - Believer
073. P!nk - Beautiful Trauma

Oh, i really didn't expect "Beautiful Trauma" being above "What About Us". It's not one of my favorite songs on the album, however it's still a good track and i hope it's a hit for her. Better single choice than "Revenge" for sure 8-) Nice to see "Believer" being above "Thunder"...

070. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling
069. Katy Perry - Swish Swish (feat. Nicki Minaj)
066. Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to Be Lonely

Love these three! "Cut To The Feeling" proved once more how good Carly is. A shame she can't score a hit single these days :( "Swish Swish" was awesome, though i have to admit its video kinda killed the song for me :oops: "Scared To Be Lonely" is great, my second favorite single by Martin (only behind "In The Name Of Love" with Bebe) :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:00 pm

king_oxymoron wrote:It's all guesswork for me but I have voted for Rita.

In your outside the top 100 list, I'm here for the most pop ones.. Anastacia, Steps, Paramore (not a single here so not in my own chart), Charlie Puth and Anne Marie are ace. One for me is really strong and about a hundred places too low!
I'm thinking you're talking about Charlie Puth here, but we'll see.

Let's see how the Rita guess pans out! 8-)

toni_pest wrote:so weird seeing a song in your countdown with only 8 plays, but im not playimg that much music either these days.

and thanks for reminding me imri exists :oops:
Yeah, between work consuming a chunk of my time, and my ever-decreasing free time being shared more evenly between binge-watching TV and checking out new music, the plays aren't as high as they were in 2012-2014 for sure.

No problem. :lol:

Goldmoney wrote:Swish Swish solo is amazing!
Glad you appreciate the solo version at least. :lol:

SummerPeur wrote:Yes to a Carly Gem! Cut To The Feeling deserves so much.

I hadn't heard: 066. Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to Be Lonely

Cute little tune
Ah, glad you liked it! And I agree, almost all of Carly Rae's post-"Call Me Maybe" singles deserved much more success.

king_oxymoron wrote:You move so bloody quick. I'm too old to keep up!

I think 'Questions' is genuinely terrible.
Pink - WAU is clearly a decent song and she has a cracking vocal but I just find it a bit plain for her given what we know she can do. Starting to prefer Beautiful Trauma same as you
Wolves is cute with a pretty decent chorus hook.

Same deal as you with Mi Gente. I liked it anyway, the looping instrumental is very catchy, but Beyoncé elevates it. One of my favourite Spanish tinged songs of the year.

Love Shawn and was so glad to have a great upbeat. I don't think his voice is limited in range though, like at all. I think it's superb and the deep register is part of its appeal

Guetta with Nicki, not his best this year for me but there was a great remix I played fairly regularly. She's better on this than on Swish Swish though, if I am out and drunk I dance but otherwise I find it a bit embarrassing.

Kesha I like on record but when she did it live I wasn't impressed. Still props for addressing the issue and surprising with her comeback.

Demi, not a single so won't chart, but a decent pop song on a great mature album.
Biebs.. you're right it is very Sorry but feels a bit... cooler? I like it.

Has Sam Smith left the self pity behind? I'd not noticed.
Imagine Dragons both songs good but Believer made more of an impact.

Carly is cute, you're right not her best but great chorus,

Garrix and Dua is really beautiful, it feels too long ago to be this year but it is!

John IS last year for me but agree it's one of his best singles, certainly recently!

Zayn very hit and miss for me. This is a hit, far far better than the Taylor duet monstrosity.

But let me remind you... Niall has ALWAYS BEEN THE BEST ONE. This Town is lovely but the other two are better.
Glad we feel similarly about "What About Us" and "Wolves".

In "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back," I feel like Shawn almost pushes his voice too far; he does an Aguilera-esque move that frightened me.

Yeah, "Friends" does seem cooler temperature-wise. "Sorry" has this warmth to it, whereas "Friends" feels much more matter-of-fact and distant.

Yeah, I think "Love on the Weekend" may be John's best since "Who Says" actually!

Um...I definitely disagree with you on the Zayn/Taylor duet. I did think it was close to a monstrosity the first time I played it, though, but what an immense grower it turned out to be!

I still don't think Niall was the best member within the group, but his solo material has been the best. Whilst the other guys seem to each have multiple solid to fantastic singles, their albums were not as good as Niall's.

Thanks for playing catch-up, by the way! I started this as early as I did to make some allowances for any work- or other-related interruptions mid-way. I'm aiming for this to be one of the few years where I actually finish this countdown before the calendar year ends. :lol:

Fan wrote:You are going quick!!

First things first, that Irmi song was totally awful :lol: He himself made me cring so much as well, glad it did so bad in the contest.

However, I do see a lot of good songs as well! Hymn and Thunder are good, Lust For Life is simply lush.
I love Beautiful Trauma and always good to see some love for Jessie, although it's not the song she released this year for me.
Cut To The Feeling is so, so catchy. Hated Swish Swish at first, but like it a lot now. Zayn/Sia- amazing!! Martin/Dua is decent.
Aw, I really enjoyed "I Feel Alive".

Glad you like a decent number of the songs that have appeared thus far! Great to see more love for Zayn/Sia.

UKMusicLova wrote:A lot of great songs already! From the songs that have missed your list, I love 'Your Song' which is just a very simple, but good pop song. Teenage Fantasy is great Jorja storytelling, Ciao Adios is super catchy and HUMBLE. is far too low. A great record that shows Kendrick's ability to let loose and have fun as well.

'Attention' is great, really impressed with what Charlie Puth is releasing this time around. 'Friends' is very catchy, despite it being a massive hit it has felt somehow less of an event than Bieber's other songs of late. Selfish Love is so smooth and Scared To Be Lonely is a massive song.
I was really getting into "Teenage Fantasy," but it just didn't connect with me deeply, or quickly, enough to make the final cut.

Despite it missing the main list, "Humble" is the best Kendrick-led song in my book. And you're right about "Friends" being a bit of a non-event. Sandwiched between his features on "Despacito" and "I'm the One," there wasn't much room for "Friends" to shine.

Benny wrote:'Swish Swish' is okay but imo it doesn't come close to the first two singles from Katy's latest album.
I agree it's not as good as "Chained to the Rhythm," but I definitely like it more than...the other one. :lol:

Carbon wrote:Hmm Cut to the Feeling sounds like a typical Carly song, but for some reason it hasn't grown on me like her Emotion songs

I like Swish Swish, especially the beat and Nicki's part, but somehow I like it less and less as time goes by :lol: it's a cool track, and would've been a bigger success if Bon Appetit hadn't happened (and if she released the music video on time, not a million days too late)
I actually think the "Swish Swish" video was worth the wait. As for "Cut to the Feeling," I don't think it's as good as the best Emotion tracks.

luckyONE wrote:"swish swish" is cute but unfortunately the entire "witness" album was disappointing for me.
There wasn't at least one stand-out song for you? :(

Tansike wrote:Really really tough to choose one option in your poll, but i went with "Bodak Yellow". "Anywhere" would have been a second option to me.

Now it's time for me to catch up with the countdown...

Spoiler:
134. Taylor Swift - Gorgeous
133. Cheat Codes - No Promises (feat. Demi Lovato)
131. Troye Sivan - Heaven
130. Rita Ora - Your Song
129. Liam Payne - Strip That Down (feat. Quavo)
128. Shania Twain - Life's About to Get Good
125. The Weeknd - Reminder
124. The Weeknd - Rockin'
120. Linkin Park - Heavy (feat. Kiiara)
116. Kygo & Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me
115. Noah Cyrus - Make Me (Cry) [feat. Labrinth]
113. Anne-Marie - Ciao Adiós
111. Anastacia - Caught in the Middle
107. Macklemore - Glorious (feat. Skylar Grey)
105. Kendrick Lamar - Humble
102. Charlie Puth - Attention

^ These are all songs i enjoy/like on the missing list. No big losses, but still quite a few good ones.

Now on to the main countdown...

099. P!nk - What About Us
097. Selena Gomez & Marshmello - Wolves

Nice first bunch. I think i would enjoy these two Chris Brown songs as well but i simply don't remember them. I checked his last album out but with nearly 50 songs and not being the biggest R&B fan it was really tough for me to recognize the songs :oops:
"Wolves" is a guilty pleasure though far away from Selena's best tunes. Love the melody in the chorus. "What About Us" was a great comeback for P!nk. At first i thought it was too much trend-hopping, but now i actually think while it may sound like some other current stuff, she still did her own thing with it.

092. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
091. David Guetta - Light My Body Up (feat. Nicki Minaj & Lil Wayne)

Surprised to see "Light My Body Up" :o So underrated! Nicki's on fire here, especially the chorus, which is awesome! Guetta's best track this year for sure, i never got much into "2U". Should have been a hit for them all. Shawn's song is nice, too.

090. Kesha - Praying

The only song i enjoy on the third batch is Kesha's track, but this is an awesome one! Definitely one of the best songs of 2017 for me. LOVE the video, how it builds up... and who expected her to slay the live performance of this the way she did? Definitely the best comeback of the year for me.

085. IMRI - I Feel Alive
084. Demi Lovato - Sexy Dirty Love
083. Niall Horan - This Town
082. Justin Bieber & BloodPop - Friends
081. Sam Smith - Too Good at Goodbyes

5/5 in this batch. Well, Sam's song is definitely by far my fave here, another great return to the music scene in 2017. I don't think his new album is as strong as his debut, but "Too Good At Goodbyes" is definitely typical Sam, in a good way. The others are all nice.

080. Lady Antebellum - You Look Good
079. Kesha - Hymn
078. Imagine Dragons - Thunder
077. Lana Del Rey - Lust for Life (feat. The Weeknd)
076. Alice Merton - No Roots

Another great batch. "Hymn" would be an awesome choice for an upcoming single of "Rainbow", probably the biggest grower for me when the album came out, as i wasn't a fan of it at first. "Thunder" and "Lust For Life" are both awesome!

075. John Mayer - Love on the Weekend
074. Imagine Dragons - Believer
073. P!nk - Beautiful Trauma

Oh, i really didn't expect "Beautiful Trauma" being above "What About Us". It's not one of my favorite songs on the album, however it's still a good track and i hope it's a hit for her. Better single choice than "Revenge" for sure 8-) Nice to see "Believer" being above "Thunder"...

070. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the Feeling
069. Katy Perry - Swish Swish (feat. Nicki Minaj)
066. Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to Be Lonely

Love these three! "Cut To The Feeling" proved once more how good Carly is. A shame she can't score a hit single these days :( "Swish Swish" was awesome, though i have to admit its video kinda killed the song for me :oops: "Scared To Be Lonely" is great, my second favorite single by Martin (only behind "In The Name Of Love" with Bebe) :D
Ah, looks like "Bodak Yellow" is going to be the poll favourite this year.

Glad there weren't any major casualties for you in the missed set.

Yeah, I didn't even bother to check out Chris Brown's album. 45 tracks is ludicrous. Maybe if his name were Mariah Carey, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Madonna, or Britney Spears, I would have given it a listen. I didn't feel like "What About Us" was trend-hopping, but at no point did it ever feel 'P!nk' enough. Whilst "Beautiful Trauma" isn't P!nk's best, it has enough of her stamp for me to appreciate it as an authentically (if not slightly watered down) P!nk jam.

Ah, glad we agree that "Light My Body Up" was Guetta's best song this year! :D

Hmm...I can't think of too many other comebacks this year, so Kesha's return would likely be my favourite as well.

"Too Good at Goodbyes" took some to grow on me, but I really appreciate it now even though I do prefer some other songs on his LP.

Oh, I just checked and apparently "Hymn" was a promotional single, not an official single, but the distinction between the two is so blurry these days. I do hope it gets an official release, though.

Looks like I'm in the minority of those who appreciate the "Swish Swish" video. :lol:

Thanks for catching up!
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2017: [#1 Revealed!]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:49 pm

065. Trey Songz - She Lovin It

Another one of his seemingly infinite number of sex anthems, "She Lovin It" features a surprisingly solid vocal from Trey Songz, and one of his best productions, courtesy of Jeff Gitelman and Cook Classics, who interpolate an "Are You That Somebody?"-esque, baby-like electronic sound in the chorus that is very much in the background but I really enjoy nevertheless.
Code: Select all
Overall Rating: 8/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #2
Play Count: 14

064. Liam Payne - Bedroom Floor

From a sex anthem veteran to a novice, "Bedroom Floor" incorporates all the sexual appeal that I suspect "Strip That Down" was meant to have. But your clothes say different on the bedroom floor is one of the best hooks any of the 1D boys have managed to come up with post-disbandment. Even his falsetto works well on this song. The only weak point was the video, which promised lots, and delivered very little.
Play Count: 17

063. DJ Khaled - I'm the One (feat. Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, & Lil Wayne)

With the goal of summer airwave domination, DJ Khaled assembled a star-studded cast for "I'm the One," but it's really Justin Bieber on the hook who shines brightest. For me, Chance the Rapper wins the three-way war of the rappers, though they all do a decent job, even Quavo, whose stuff I typically abhor (I love his Criss-cross and hopscotch line).
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #4
Play Count: 18

062. Zedd & Liam Payne - Get Low

Another summer-appropriate collaboration, "Get Low" is by a slim margin the best song Liam Payne has been involved with, post-1D. It was disappointing to see this one flop, as it's definitely one of the best dance-pop songs of the year, with no lazy beat drops that doubled as full-length choruses, and semi-decent lyrics that we don't often get in that sub-genre.
Play Count: 24

061. Selena Gomez - Fetish (feat. Gucci Mane)

I've contended for years that Selena's 'sexy' voice is a bit try-hard, and oftentimes the songs she gets would be better served in the hands of other singers, but "Fetish" marks an exception, where I believe Selena sells the song well. When she declares, If I were you, I'd do me, too, I believe her completely.
Play Count: 27
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:35 pm

Usually not a big fan of Selena, but Fetish was very, very decent actually. That Liam song however is, sorry that I say it, probably the worst thing I have heard this year.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:43 am

Yay for DJ Khaled and Zedd. :D
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby heppolo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:33 pm

072. Jessie Ware - Selfish Love

My favourite so far
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:15 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Ugh, I couldn't stop playing this. Such an ANTHEM. Get it daddy Liam 8-) (Sorry.... :lol: )
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
Hottest Single All Stars, in the game section.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:50 am

Fan wrote:Usually not a big fan of Selena, but Fetish was very, very decent actually. That Liam song however is, sorry that I say it, probably the worst thing I have heard this year.
Yeah, "Fetish" is her second best post-Scene single for me, after "Kill Em with Kindness".

Benjamin wrote:Yay for DJ Khaled and Zedd. :D
Glad you like those two! :D

heppolo wrote:072. Jessie Ware - Selfish Love

My favourite so far
Hope there are others you like in the batches to come!

SummerPeur wrote:YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Ugh, I couldn't stop playing this. Such an ANTHEM. Get it daddy Liam 8-) (Sorry.... :lol: )
Express yourself, don't repress yourself. :wink:

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:43 am

060. Charli XCX - Boys

A summery daydream of boy-obsessed euphoria, "Boys" takes me back to my 2011-2013 days where the I was busy thinkin' 'bout...boys lyric was perhaps most relevant to me. This song works because of its fun, carefree, responsibility-lite tone, and the video featuring so many handsome male celebs didn't hurt its appeal one bit either.
Overall Rating: 8.1/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(2)
Play Count: 42

059. Sam Smith - Pray

Easily one of the finest singles Sam Smith has ever put out, "Pray" is a coming-to-reckoning moment where Sam, as a seemingly agnostic individual, is at a sort of dead-end. None of his tried-and-proven remedies have worked, so, in his moment of despair, he turns to a higher power for answers, admitting in the chorus, I never believed in you, no, but I'm gonna pray because if everything else has failed, surely an attempt at prayer couldn't hurt. I absolutely love the message of the song because it speaks to most people's need to place their trust and hope in a higher power, without being overly preachy. It is at our wits' end that we often turn to religion, whether or not we consider ourselves adherents to any particular religion. When a loved one's prognosis is dire, we're on our last dime, our hearts have been ravaged by someone who claimed to love us, we grapple for any remnants of hope, and this song - backed by a fantastic gospel choir - does a great job of chronicling (without ever being specific) that moment of resignation.
Overall Rating: 8.2/10
Play Count: 26

058. Lana Del Rey - Summer Bummer (feat. A$AP Rocky & Playboi Carti)

Combining her hypnotic delivery with a hip/hop beat and two capable rappers, "Summer Bummer" sees Lana Del Rey return to some semblance of 2012's Born to Die glory, with a song that's on the right side of trance-like (alluring and mysterious, rather than sleep-inducing). She speaks about a summer fling (shout-out to the clever undercover lover double entendre) with a significantly lighter tone than the one expressed in her other song about summer, the brilliant "Summertime Sadness".
Play Count: 30

057. The Weeknd - Die for You

Armed with a lethal synth bass, and an intense, passionate pre-chorus, "Die for You" speaks about a turbulent romance that is equal parts painful conflict and genuine, fervent love. Though this song didn't have much impact on the charts, it was a clear stand-out when I listened to Starboy last year, and it's held up to become one of my favourite R&B singles of 2017.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #6
Play Count: 8

056. Tinashe - Flame

As much as Tinashe is a beloved R&B darling, I think her voice is best suited to sing pop-leaning R&B songs, like "All Hands on Deck," so when introduced to "Flame" - perhaps her most pop release to date - it was fairly instant love. She has such a sweet, sugary tone that her plea for reassurance resonates as unfiltered authenticity with the listener. It's a shame she hasn't had a major breakthrough into the mainstream because she has buckets of talent - great vocals, solid dance moves, above-average performing skills. She really is better - on paper - that 95% of the popular artists today, and with the right song, I think she'll be irresistible even to her staunchest critics. "Flame" isn't quite that song, but I hope she finds that song before time runs out.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Fetish, Boys and Summer Bummer are all top-notch!

Flame always seemed too disposable for Tinashe, sounds like something a Rachel Platten would release :lol:
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 pm

Flame is a great song that would've been big in the late 00s I reckon!
Thriller

Postby bluecherry » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Very happy to see 'Summer Bummer' and 'Boys'. As a Tinashe fan I can't stand 'Flame' :(
bluecherry
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:07 pm

Boys is a guilty pleasure for me.....
Love, is love, is love. - Kylie M.
Hottest Single All Stars, in the game section.
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby CrazyCrazy » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:24 am

Anastacia - Caught In The Middle (As much as I love Anastacia, looks set to miss my top 100 completely this year too, it's OK but disappointing. I want a song where she flexes that amazing voice more!)
Shania - Life's About to Get Good (This song is so feel-good and classic Shania imo)
Kendrick - HUMBLE. (This is so catchy, really enjoyed this song too)
Kesha - Praying (This song is good, glad she released this one and am intrigued to hear her album at some point)
Mariah - The Star (This is pretty)
Lana - Lust For Life (I've only heard it once but remember liking the atmosphere and melody)

As for Katy Perry, 'Swish Swish' is the only official single I've not liked from the album. :D

I've not heard most of these for now though.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Feel like I am laying into you :lol: but while I could stomach Strip That Down, I think Get Low is way too generic and honestly that Bedroom Floor is downright offensive. Liam has been the most disappointing solo 1D for me.. and that's saying something given that I haven't been that enamoured with Harry... and they have Louis Tomlinson in the group.

Fetish I really don't rate either

However, Flame is kinda cute, Boys for its quiet vocals and low-key production is a complete moment and Pray is one of Sam's absolute best. I've not charted it as he has moved onto the much more twee One Last Song here but I was so happy to hear Sam with some actual grit... that middle eight.. something about having a one on one please.. it's awesome and the choir work so much better on this than the limp Too Good At Goodbyes.

Ooh I'm a critic this year! LOL
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 am

Carbon wrote:Fetish, Boys and Summer Bummer are all top-notch!

Flame always seemed too disposable for Tinashe, sounds like something a Rachel Platten would release :lol:
Good that you like those three!

As for the Rachel Platten jab, she has some decent songs. For instance, "Broken Glass" is solid!

Thriller wrote:Flame is a great song that would've been big in the late 00s I reckon!
Maybe. I have no idea what it takes for a song to be a hit these days; it all seems very random. :lol:

bluecherry wrote:Very happy to see 'Summer Bummer' and 'Boys'. As a Tinashe fan I can't stand 'Flame' :(
Aw, and it's probably my second favourite from Tinashe after "All Hands on Deck".

SummerPeur wrote:Boys is a guilty pleasure for me.....
In more ways than one for me as well. :lol:

CrazyCrazy wrote:Anastacia - Caught In The Middle (As much as I love Anastacia, looks set to miss my top 100 completely this year too, it's OK but disappointing. I want a song where she flexes that amazing voice more!)
Shania - Life's About to Get Good (This song is so feel-good and classic Shania imo)
Kendrick - HUMBLE. (This is so catchy, really enjoyed this song too)
Kesha - Praying (This song is good, glad she released this one and am intrigued to hear her album at some point)
Mariah - The Star (This is pretty)
Lana - Lust For Life (I've only heard it once but remember liking the atmosphere and melody)

As for Katy Perry, 'Swish Swish' is the only official single I've not liked from the album. :D

I've not heard most of these for now though.
Nice to see you around, Bill! :D

I agree wholly on the "Caught in the Middle" assessment. She is ten times better than that song. Shania had much better than that one on her album. Kendrick's was catchy indeed, but I think the critical acclaim is overblown.

The Kesha album isn't bad, but I expected better for her return. The most important thing is that she's back, though, and I wish her well moving forward. Lemme scream (and cry) a bit at the positive comment for a very much sub-par Mariah song! :cry:

Lana's music is 95% atmosphere and melody, so you remember the highlights! :lol:

king_oxymoron wrote:Feel like I am laying into you :lol: but while I could stomach Strip That Down, I think Get Low is way too generic and honestly that Bedroom Floor is downright offensive. Liam has been the most disappointing solo 1D for me.. and that's saying something given that I haven't been that enamoured with Harry... and they have Louis Tomlinson in the group.

Fetish I really don't rate either

However, Flame is kinda cute, Boys for its quiet vocals and low-key production is a complete moment and Pray is one of Sam's absolute best. I've not charted it as he has moved onto the much more twee One Last Song here but I was so happy to hear Sam with some actual grit... that middle eight.. something about having a one on one please.. it's awesome and the choir work so much better on this than the limp Too Good At Goodbyes.

Ooh I'm a critic this year! LOL
Update your signature, Adam! :lol:

I haven't bothered to check out anything Louis has done, and I doubt I ever will, but of the remaining four, I agree that Liam has been the weakest. I think perhaps he needed the group setting the most, as solo, his weaknesses are glaring.

Ah, glad we agree on Sam's "Pray". I think 'limp' is going quite far with "Too Good at Goodbyes," but "Pray" definitely packs a heftier punch, and that moment you speak of is my highlight as well. :D

You are a critic every year, and I warmly welcome your authenticity. 8-)

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:54 am

055. Terror Jr - Heartbreaks

One of the coolest songs of the year, "Heartbreaks" - introduced to my music library courtesy of the ever-fabulous Paulboard - is a song with brilliant one-liners strung together that seem senseless at times, but tidies up in time for the steely conclusion, My heart breaks, but I don't. My favourite line is actually, Running laps 'round these bitches in my flip-flops - I love the idea of being that level of awesome with that level of effort. This song is an example of the kind of track that flourishes in the millenial era: under two minutes in length, too-cool-for-school production, retweetable lyrics for days. On paper, I shouldn't like it as much as I do, but it's a mess that just works (for me at least).
Play Count: 29

054. Adam Lambert - Two Fux

Two years removed from his last album, one of American Idol's finest graduates returned this summer with the no-phucks-given "Two Fux". Two things: (1) the Namaste lyric that doubles as And I'mma stay is one of the greatest play-on-words of 2017 and among my Top 5 lyrical highlights of the year, and (2) this song deserved far more success than it got! Tone-wise, I love the attitude of having an ADD-level of disinterest in negativity and feeling no pressure whatsoever to validate one's worth, actions, and existence. His proclamation of I'mma find my inner peace in leather speaks to his understanding of self - that he's different, with a value system separate from the general public's, and it's only in pursuit of his unique goals that he'll gain self-fulfillment. It's a rock-tinged pop anthem of self-acceptance and self-love that radio paid dust, marking one of the many baffling flops of the year for me.
Overall Rating: 8.4/10
Play Count: 52

053. Mariah Carey - I Don't (feat. YG)

With I'm tired of cryin', no more tears, pity party of the year, we move from a pop/rock self-acceptance anthem to an R&B/hip-hop break-up moment. The idea to have YG on the refrain with that delicious hook, But you love it when I call you Ms. Carey was gold, and the Pity party of the year moment is another lyrical highlight of the year for me. Mariah's vocals are lush, melodious, emotive, and strut confidently on the slick beat red carpet that the Dupri/Cox-produced engineering duo laid out. I suppose a critic could fairly point out that this was an obvious attempt at the Carey team trying to score a hit in 2017, but nothing's lost from trying, and even if it failed on all commercial fronts, I'll stand as a minority of one who believes this is truly one of her best R&B songs of the last 10 years. I think oftentimes the general public holds Mariah up to a "Vision of Love"/"We Belong Together" standard, and the fans hold her up to a "Vanishing"/"The Roof" standard to the extent that there is constant dismay every time she fails to achieve those meteoric highs. My very strong contention is that even a decade (or two, depending on who you ask) removed from her prime, Mariah is still one of the best acts in the industry, and I eagerly await her next LP, as The Elusive Chanteuse, "Almost Home," and this song prove that she's still got it after 27 years! Also, I'd like to give YG props for delivering a solid verse; the rap game is quite abysmal these days so anything decent from a hip/hop guy or girl is greatly appreciated.
Play Count: 64

052. Trey Songz - Animal

Another sex song from a guy whose discography could soundtrack 50 Fifty Shades of Grey films, "Animal" sees Trey Songz pelting one sexual euphemism after the other as he speaks to the way his lover brings out the insatiable sexual beast within him. The production is quite bouncy, though, so it can double as both bedroom music and a dancefloor jam. Also, he gets full brownie points for the inclusion of the sound of an elephant trumpeting - very, very clever (and cocky!) use of imagery there!

051. Demi Lovato - Sorry Not Sorry

For the time being, the brave balladeer that gave us "Give Your Heart a Break" and "Heart Attack" - past Top 5 finishers on my year-end charts - is gone, and in her place, we have Demetria, who's more "Cool for the Summer" than "Skyscraper" these days. However, with songs like "Sorry Not Sorry," in all of its brash, power-laden, emotional glory, you can rest easy that the Disney graduate is still intent on delivering quality jams. Unflinchingly, she declares over a handclap-led beat Payback is a bad bitch, and baby I'm the baddest, as she proves that living your best life is truly the best revenge. Another thing I adore about "Sorry Not Sorry" is that I feel Demi is finding her sound and distinguishing herself from the host of female pop stars in the industry; there's no one else I could have envisioned delivering this song as convincingly as she did, and in a business where the shelf life for pop acts is practically equivalent to that of almond milk, it's a good sign that Demi will be here for years to come.
Overall Rating: 8.5/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #3
Play Count: 22

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:56 am

I Don't is a cute lil ratchet bop, albeit a bit disposable.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:24 am

That Mariah song wasn't as bad as it could've been, ten years ago she'd have probably managed a top 20 hit with it.

Sorry Not Sorry grew on me massively this year.
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:37 pm

hated Sorry Not Sorry at first, but it grew on me later. and when I heard the underwhelming rest of the album, somehow this was the perfect lead single and really gets into your head
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:18 am

JSparksFan wrote:
luckyONE wrote:"swish swish" is cute but unfortunately the entire "witness" album was disappointing for me.
There wasn't at least one stand-out song for you? :(
!
i think "bon appetit" is in my Top 10 favorite Katy songs of all time, so yeah this one definitely stands out for me. :)

from the last updates my favorite song is "boys". really loving the track!
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:06 pm

Goldmoney wrote:I Don't is a cute lil ratchet bop, albeit a bit disposable.
By Mariah's standards, I suppose it can get lost in the shuffle of her grand discography, but I definitely disagree that it's disposable.

Thriller wrote:That Mariah song wasn't as bad as it could've been, ten years ago she'd have probably managed a top 20 hit with it.

Sorry Not Sorry grew on me massively this year.
Yeah, I wasn't sold on "Sorry Not Sorry" off the bat either.

Carbon wrote:hated Sorry Not Sorry at first, but it grew on me later. and when I heard the underwhelming rest of the album, somehow this was the perfect lead single and really gets into your head
It's definitely my favourite song on her album, too, and by some margin.

luckyONE wrote:i think "bon appetit" is in my Top 10 favorite Katy songs of all time, so yeah this one definitely stands out for me. :)

from the last updates my favorite song is "boys". really loving the track!
I think "Bon Appétit" might be among her Top 10 disasters for me. :lol:

Not surprised to see all the love for "Boys". 8-)

JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts