Akini's Daily Top 20: #1 I'll never meet the ground...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:38 am

Sunday's Top 20 (December 24th)

01.(RE) Whitney Houston - You're Still My Man (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Madonna - Justify My Love
03.(RE) Bruno Mars - Gorilla
04.(01) Whitney Houston - Do You Hear What I Hear? (Biggest Free Faller)
05.(03) Paloma Faith - The Architect
06.(RE) Madonna - Like It or Not
07.(RE) Elton John - Your Song
08.(RE) Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
09.(RE) Madonna - Deeper and Deeper
10.(RE) Madonna - Best Friend
11.(NE) Madonna - Drowned World/Substitute for Love (Highest Debut)
12.(RE) Madonna - Love Tried to Welcome Me
13.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Sober
14.(NE) Elton John - I Need You to Turn To
15.(RE) Madonna - Like a Prayer
16.(RE) Madonna - Devil Wouldn't Recognize You
17.(NE) Madonna - I Want You
18.(RE) Jordin Sparks - Tattoo
19.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone
20.(RE) Taylor Swift - Getaway Car
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:22 am

Monday's Top 20 (December 25th)

01.(RE) Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You (Best Comeback)
02.(NE) David Guetta - When Love Takes Over (feat. Kelly Rowland) (Highest Debut)
03.(02) Madonna - Justify My Love
04.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
05.(04) Whitney Houston - Do You Hear What I Hear?
06.(10) Madonna - Best Friend (Greatest Gainer)
07.(RE) Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
08.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
09.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Perfect
10.(RE) Prince - When Doves Cry
11.(11) Madonna - Drowned World/Substitute for Love
12.(RE) Jordin Sparks - Christmas Time to Me
13.(05) Paloma Faith - The Architect
14.(01) Whitney Houston - You're Still My Man (Biggest Free Faller)
15.(RE) Clean Bandit - Symphony (feat. Zara Larsson)
16.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure
17.(06) Madonna - Like It or Not
18.(20) Taylor Swift - Getaway Car
19.(RE) Jennifer Hudson - I Still Love You
20.(17) Madonna - I Want You
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:37 am

JSparksFan wrote:Monday's Top 20 (December 25th)

01.(RE) Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You (Best Comeback)
Don't think anyone will be surprised about this :lol: 8-)

JSparksFan wrote:Monday's Top 20 (December 25th)

02.(NE) David Guetta - When Love Takes Over (feat. Kelly Rowland) (Highest Debut)
WLTO is such a bop! Really pumps you up / makes you feel good.
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Correct! :wink:
:D Exciting! Sounds like it'll be a decently-long trip, then?

JSparksFan wrote:No need to. 8-)
You're too good to me :cry: Thank you! That really does add an extra sexy/aggressive punch to it.

JSparksFan wrote:And looking terrified as phuck as if the audience is going to collectively attack and sexually assault him. :roll:

Gaga is a pretty high standard to hold pop stars to, but even acts like Beyoncé and Britney will have LGBT+ back-up dancers, support staff, etc. I don't think it's enough to use the community as PR for you being a 'tolerant, open-minded' act now that it's cool to support the LGBT+ movement. As someone in the business realm, I suppose I'm suppose to understand that at the end of the day the industry is just that - a business - and if you want to maximise profits, you're not going to do anything to jeopardise alienating your core audience, but at some point you just have to decide enough is enough and use your platform for something more meaningful. To that end, Gaga was the gold standard for a celeb ally.
Aw :lol: I've never watched any performance footage, but it feels a little harsh to dissect/make assumptions about his every facial expression. Not to mention, there's plenty of reasons why an act might be looking uncomfy on stage (general nerves, lack of rehearsal, illness, distracted by some news they just received, etc.)

Yeah, which ties into the "Taylor Swift the feminist" discussion too. Obviously, I'd love my favorite performers to be as vocal and supportive as possible, but just how much social justice activism should we realistically expect from people whose primary focus/dream is to be professional singers/dancers/etc.? I'm not asking just to be contrary, it's something I genuinely haven't settled on myself.

JSparksFan wrote:Two of the most critically acclaimed films of the last 15 months - Moonlight and Call Me by Your Name - are gay films with heterosexual leads. I must admit that Trevante Rhodes (Moonlight) and Timothée Chalamet (Call Me by Your Name) delivered powerful, convincing roles completely deserving of all the accolades the actors and films received (in the case of Moonlight) and are projected to receive in the upcoming awards season (Call Me by Your Name). Their careers will be bolstered by the critical success of their roles, which is well-deserved, but I can't help but look at it as lost opportunities for equally capable gay actors.
**Nod** For sure, and I don't want to discredit the truly commendable performances given by actors in that situation. If the playing field was more level, and LGBTQ+ actors were given straight roles anywhere near often as the reverse happens, it wouldn't concern me...but because LGBTQ+ actors are already overlooked for all kinds of roles, even ones for which they're an incredibly perfect match, it's hard not to stay at least a tad salty. Talent is not an exclusively, or even predominantly, straight trait - yet casting practices would certainly have us believing so.

JSparksFan wrote:Oh, really? I'm more familiar with him for starting/popularising the eggplant trend on Twitter and Instagram.
:o Wait...what? Now THAT is news to me!

JSparksFan wrote:It's good! I always love Cardi B's attitude on her songs. I think she is very authentic in her lyrics, and that's refreshing. For the first day, though, I can say I definitely like it more than I did "Bodak Yellow" its first 24 hours out, but I don't think "Bartier Cardi" will stick with me as long as "Bodak Yellow" did.
Ah, so stronger first impression/more instant appeal, but weaker staying power?

JSparksFan wrote:01.(RE) Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You (Best Comeback)
03.(02) Madonna - Justify My Love
04.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Love So Soft
05.(04) Whitney Houston - Do You Hear What I Hear?
06.(10) Madonna - Best Friend (Greatest Gainer)
07.(RE) Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
08.(RE) Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
09.(RE) Ed Sheeran - Perfect
10.(RE) Prince - When Doves Cry
11.(11) Madonna - Drowned World/Substitute for Love
15.(RE) Clean Bandit - Symphony (feat. Zara Larsson)
16.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure
17.(06) Madonna - Like It or Not
18.(20) Taylor Swift - Getaway Car
20.(17) Madonna - I Want You
• At least AIWFCIY is No. 1 where it TRULY counts! <3
• Randomly enough, "Do You Hear What I Hear?" is the only track I have from Whitney's Christmas album. I think that's at least parrtially because it's one classic that not quite as many other acts have tackled (at least compared to something like "Last Christmas", "Silent Night", "Santa Baby", "O Holy Night", etc.)

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas (and have an even more awesome New Year's), Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:19 am

SummerPeur wrote:Don't think anyone will be surprised about this :lol: 8-)
In the end, it was closer than I thought it would be!

SummerPeur wrote:WLTO is such a bop! Really pumps you up / makes you feel good.
It randomly clicked with me yesterday after all these years!

phoenix98 wrote: :D Exciting! Sounds like it'll be a decently-long trip, then?
I'm seeing if I can manage three weeks without going totally bankrupt. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Aw :lol: I've never watched any performance footage, but it feels a little harsh to dissect/make assumptions about his every facial expression. Not to mention, there's plenty of reasons why an act might be looking uncomfy on stage (general nerves, lack of rehearsal, illness, distracted by some news they just received, etc.)
This is the moment I was referring to. Admittedly, I do have a bias against heterosexual men being gay-friendly. I don't trust it 95% of the time.

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, which ties into the "Taylor Swift the feminist" discussion too. Obviously, I'd love my favorite performers to be as vocal and supportive as possible, but just how much social justice activism should we realistically expect from people whose primary focus/dream is to be professional singers/dancers/etc.? I'm not asking just to be contrary, it's something I genuinely haven't settled on myself.
This is a very good point! :lol: I've actually never considered that, but it is a truly excellent point! Yesterday, Lewis Hamilton made some offensive remarks about his four-year-old nephew wearing a dress he got as a Christmas present, and there was obvious backlash, but I think we put these people on pedestals that they never asked for...and, to be honest, I think his views represent what the vast majority of males believe. Do I agree with misogyny masqueraded as male chauvinism? Not at all. But it's remiss to attack products of the problem without addressing the root of these misguided beliefs.

phoenix98 wrote:**Nod** For sure, and I don't want to discredit the truly commendable performances given by actors in that situation. If the playing field was more level, and LGBTQ+ actors were given straight roles anywhere near often as the reverse happens, it wouldn't concern me...but because LGBTQ+ actors are already overlooked for all kinds of roles, even ones for which they're an incredibly perfect match, it's hard not to stay at least a tad salty. Talent is not an exclusively, or even predominantly, straight trait - yet casting practices would certainly have us believing so.
Yeah, there are some serious problems in this world. Sometimes I wish I could cast a spell to fix it all because progress is much, much too slow.

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, so stronger first impression/more instant appeal, but weaker staying power?
Sí.

phoenix98 wrote:• At least AIWFCIY is No. 1 where it TRULY counts! <3
8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• Randomly enough, "Do You Hear What I Hear?" is the only track I have from Whitney's Christmas album. I think that's at least parrtially because it's one classic that not quite as many other acts have tackled (at least compared to something like "Last Christmas", "Silent Night", "Santa Baby", "O Holy Night", etc.)
Hmm...I think we may be listening to different versions. Whitney has a version she recorded in 1987 when she was very much in her vocal prime, but I don't see "Do You Hear What I Hear?" on the tracklist for her holiday album. WTF are you listening to, Paul? :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Hope you had a wonderful Christmas (and have an even more awesome New Year's), Akini! :D
Aw, thanks, Paul! Same to you, of course! :D
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:25 am

Tuesday's Top 20 (December 26th)

01.(06) Madonna - Best Friend
02.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone (Best Comeback)
03.(14) Whitney Houston - You're Still My Man (Greatest Gainer)
04.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
05.(07) Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
06.(RE) Sia - Move Your Body
07.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
08.(13) Paloma Faith - The Architect
09.(RE) Whitney Houston - Do You Hear What I Hear?
10.(03) Madonna - Justify My Love
11.(RE) DNCE - Kissing Strangers (feat. Nicki Minaj)
12.(RE) David Guetta - Without You (feat. Usher)
13.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball
14.(RE) Selena Gomez & the Scene - My Dilemma
15.(RE) Demi Lovato - Heart Attack
16.(02) David Guetta - When Love Takes Over (feat. Kelly Rowland) (Biggest Free Faller)
17.(RE) Selena Gomez & the Scene - Love You Like a Love Song
18.(RE) Hurts - Beautiful Ones
19.(17) Madonna - Like It or Not
20.(RE) LP - Lost on You
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:15 pm

JSparksFan wrote:I'm seeing if I can manage three weeks without going totally bankrupt. :lol:
:o Woah, a 3-week-adventure would be EPIC! Have you already secured the time off work, so it's just a matter of securing the funding now? Would your sister be along for the ride again (or anyone else?)

JSparksFan wrote:This is the moment I was referring to. Admittedly, I do have a bias against heterosexual men being gay-friendly. I don't trust it 95% of the time.

This is a very good point! :lol: I've actually never considered that, but it is a truly excellent point! Yesterday, Lewis Hamilton made some offensive remarks about his four-year-old nephew wearing a dress he got as a Christmas present, and there was obvious backlash, but I think we put these people on pedestals that they never asked for...and, to be honest, I think his views represent what the vast majority of males believe. Do I agree with misogyny masqueraded as male chauvinism? Not at all. But it's remiss to attack products of the problem without addressing the root of these misguided beliefs.
:lol: Well if that's the worst of it, I can't be too mad at Nick. Just 'cause he's willing to do shirtless photoshoots doesn't mean he's always gonna be totally enthusiastic about fans demanding he flaunt his body at every performance/public appearance. I mean, just cause Britney got nude in "Womanizer" doesn't mean she's obligated to gleefully indulge every fan who ever shouts to see her tits. It also just seems like he was being a tease/playful with the quick flash, and that "RAWR, I'm a BEEFCAKE!!!" face when he lifted his shirt was pretty adorable. That said, I definitely agree that he shouldn't be labelled a champion for LGBTQ+ justice just because he booked that gig and flashed his abs for 5 seconds. I also think it's perfectly sensible to be (at least initially) wary of the sincerity of any celebrity "support."

**Nod** It's genuinely painful when celebs so flippantly make statements/"jokes" like those, especially if they're people who seemed like allies otherwise (or may even consider themselves to be allies and just don't realize the effect of some of the things they say/do.) Not to suggest that higher education automatically = absolute awareness, but many celebrities didn't attend college due to achieving fame at a young age, and I know that if I hadn't taken some of the classes that I did in undergrad and even in grad school, I'd probably still be saying some pretty uninformed things/making some pretty uninformed jokes occasionally (even as a member of the LGBTQ+ community myself.) I hope that doesn't come across as "celebrities are dumb so you can't be mad when they say awful things" - it's just that it took some specific training and learning for me to get a better perspective on my words and actions, while many celebrities haven't had (or haven't chosen to take) that opportunity. My train of thought is starting to derail here...but I guess that just shows how many factors/dimensions there are to consider with these issues.

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, there are some serious problems in this world. Sometimes I wish I could cast a spell to fix it all because progress is much, much too slow.
Amen.

Admittedly, I recognize the irony of some of my ranting here, and how I'm still a part of the problem sometimes :oops: I'm quick to gripe/soapbox online, but how much real-world activism (marching, writing/reaching out to elected officials, etc.) have I actually done...?

JSparksFan wrote:Hmm...I think we may be listening to different versions. Whitney has a version she recorded in 1987 when she was very much in her vocal prime, but I don't see "Do You Hear What I Hear?" on the tracklist for her holiday album. WTF are you listening to, Paul? :lol:
Ah, yeah, that's the one! Ha, whoops :lol: :oops: Damn, I've had it mislabelled in my library all these years. Now I finally know that it's actually from this album (which also contains Madonna's "Santa Baby" cover that I have, so I really had no excuse.) I imagine what happened is that I downloaded the song from a less-than-entirely-legal source that didn't specify the album from which it came, so I just assumed it was from her own Christmas record. #flopfan

JSparksFan wrote:Aw, thanks, Paul! Same to you, of course! :D
Many thanks! :D

JSparksFan wrote:01.(06) Madonna - Best Friend
02.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone (Best Comeback)
03.(14) Whitney Houston - You're Still My Man (Greatest Gainer)
04.(RE) Cardi B - Bodak Yellow
05.(07) Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
06.(RE) Sia - Move Your Body
07.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
09.(RE) Whitney Houston - Do You Hear What I Hear?
10.(03) Madonna - Justify My Love
11.(RE) DNCE - Kissing Strangers (feat. Nicki Minaj)
12.(RE) David Guetta - Without You (feat. Usher)
13.(RE) Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball
14.(RE) Selena Gomez & the Scene - My Dilemma
15.(RE) Demi Lovato - Heart Attack
16.(02) David Guetta - When Love Takes Over (feat. Kelly Rowland) (Biggest Free Faller)
17.(RE) Selena Gomez & the Scene - Love You Like a Love Song
18.(RE) Hurts - Beautiful Ones
19.(17) Madonna - Like It or Not
20.(RE) LP - Lost on You
• "Best Friend" is an interesting selection to receive a post-Christmas surge (granted, I guess it's a pretty random Madonna selection in general...)
• Damn, I haven't re-visited "Without You" in years. Guetta was really on fire (in terms of churning out stuff that I really enjoyed, but I guess chart-wise too) during the Nothing But The Beat era: "Without You", "Titanium", "Turn Me On", "She Wolf (Falling To Pieces)"...
• "My Dilemma" is such a poptastic treat. I'm 99% sure you recommended that random album gem to me back in the day, and it lead to me making my first-ever Selena Gomez &The Scene album purchase!

Yet another chart that's one of the best, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:33 am

phoenix98 wrote: :o Woah, a 3-week-adventure would be EPIC! Have you already secured the time off work, so it's just a matter of securing the funding now? Would your sister be along for the ride again (or anyone else?)
The time off from work shouldn't be difficult to secure because it's during the summer, and things are always slower during that time. The Canadian part of the trip will involve some of my high school colleagues, as I'm really going to be incorporating a vacation into a club trip so...that should be fun. As for NYC, I don't think my sister would even let me touch NYC soil again without her, so her presence is pretty much a given. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: Well if that's the worst of it, I can't be too mad at Nick. Just 'cause he's willing to do shirtless photoshoots doesn't mean he's always gonna be totally enthusiastic about fans demanding he flaunt his body at every performance/public appearance. I mean, just cause Britney got nude in "Womanizer" doesn't mean she's obligated to gleefully indulge every fan who ever shouts to see her tits. It also just seems like he was being a tease/playful with the quick flash, and that "RAWR, I'm a BEEFCAKE!!!" face when he lifted his shirt was pretty adorable. That said, I definitely agree that he shouldn't be labelled a champion for LGBTQ+ justice just because he booked that gig and flashed his abs for 5 seconds. I also think it's perfectly sensible to be (at least initially) wary of the sincerity of any celebrity "support."
That's my only gripe with him really. I don't think he's a bad guy, but all he's really done is be a decent human-being - come out in favour of gay marriage and LGBT+ rights in general - and he's played a few gay roles on TV, and that's pretty much it. And even in his 'support' through those roles he played, he kinda infringes on that other discussion we had about LGBT+ actors losing out on LGBT+ roles to their hetero counterparts.

phoenix98 wrote: **Nod** It's genuinely painful when celebs so flippantly make statements/"jokes" like those, especially if they're people who seemed like allies otherwise (or may even consider themselves to be allies and just don't realize the effect of some of the things they say/do.) Not to suggest that higher education automatically = absolute awareness, but many celebrities didn't attend college due to achieving fame at a young age, and I know that if I hadn't taken some of the classes that I did in undergrad and even in grad school, I'd probably still be saying some pretty uninformed things/making some pretty uninformed jokes occasionally (even as a member of the LGBTQ+ community myself.) I hope that doesn't come across as "celebrities are dumb so you can't be mad when they say awful things" - it's just that it took some specific training and learning for me to get a better perspective on my words and actions, while many celebrities haven't had (or haven't chosen to take) that opportunity. My train of thought is starting to derail here...but I guess that just shows how many factors/dimensions there are to consider with these issues.
You've raised another excellent point in the education issue. I think another problem is that Hollywood itself is a kind of bubble where people get cut off from reality, and if they don't have non-celeb friends or acquaintances around that can relay experiences to them that are outside the scope of their own, then there will be a lack of sensitive/empathy to issues that they know nothing about. And the lack of formal education just compounds that.

phoenix98 wrote:Admittedly, I recognize the irony of some of my ranting here, and how I'm still a part of the problem sometimes :oops: I'm quick to gripe/soapbox online, but how much real-world activism (marching, writing/reaching out to elected officials, etc.) have I actually done...?
Same here. :(

phoenix98 wrote:Ah, yeah, that's the one! Ha, whoops :lol: :oops: Damn, I've had it mislabelled in my library all these years. Now I finally know that it's actually from this album (which also contains Madonna's "Santa Baby" cover that I have, so I really had no excuse.) I imagine what happened is that I downloaded the song from a less-than-entirely-legal source that didn't specify the album from which it came, so I just assumed it was from her own Christmas record. #flopfan
It happens sometimes. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• "Best Friend" is an interesting selection to receive a post-Christmas surge (granted, I guess it's a pretty random Madonna selection in general...)
The reason "Best Friend" is back - and all the other Madonna tracks for that matter - is that the Photobucket policy changed kinda wrecked my countdowns, and I finally had time to go back and fix all the broken links. In doing so, I decided to revisit some of the songs that I had ranked fairly low just to see if my thoughts on them had changed, and I can definitely say that I ranked two in particular too low: "Best Friend" and "Justify My Love".

phoenix98 wrote:• Damn, I haven't re-visited "Without You" in years. Guetta was really on fire (in terms of churning out stuff that I really enjoyed, but I guess chart-wise too) during the Nothing But The Beat era: "Without You", "Titanium", "Turn Me On", "She Wolf (Falling To Pieces)"...
Damn, that was a phenomenal era indeed. You're even forgetting "Night of Your Life". So much dance-pop goodness! Calvin Harris could never. :cry:

phoenix98 wrote:• "My Dilemma" is such a poptastic treat. I'm 99% sure you recommended that random album gem to me back in the day, and it lead to me making my first-ever Selena Gomez &The Scene album purchase!
Oh, yes, I was so obsessed with "My Dilemma". It spent 12 days at #1 here, which just might be the longest run at the top for a non-single. I have to check to confirm that.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:39 am

Thursday's Top 20 (December 28th)

01.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Céline Dion - Encore un soir
03.(RE) Foster the People - Pay the Man
04.(RE) Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas Is You
05.(RE) St. Beauty - Borders
06.(RE) Alessia Cara - Scars to Your Beautiful
07.(08) Paloma Faith - The Architect
08.(20) LP - Lost on You (Greatest Gainer)
09.(RE) Toni Braxton - Deadwood
10.(RE) Zayn & Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever
11.(07) Rita Ora - Anywhere
12.(10) Madonna - Justify My Love
13.(01) Madonna - Best Friend
14.(RE) Auli'i Cravalho - How Far I'll Go
15.(17) Selena Gomez & the Scene - Love You Like a Love Song
16.(RE) Lorde - Green Light
17.(RE) Alicia Keys - In Common
18.(02) Childish Gambino - Redbone (Biggest Free Faller)
19.(RE) Camila Cabello - Havana
20.(RE) Rihanna - Pour It Up
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:12 am

Friday's Top 20 (December 29th)

01.(NE) Rae Morris - Do It (Hot Shot Debut)
02.(18) Childish Gambino - Redbone (Greatest Gainer)
03.(19) Camila Cabello - Havana
04.(RE) Lindsey Stirling - Crystallize (Best Comeback)
05.(NE) Zac Efron & Zendaya - Rewrite the Stars
06.(03) Foster the People - Pay the Man (Biggest Free Faller)
07.(RE) Tina Turner - Till the Right Man Comes Along
08.(RE) Beyoncé - Drunk in Love (feat. Jay-Z & Kanye West)
09.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
10.(RE) Christina Aguilera - Mercy on Me
11.(RE) Harry Styles - Sign of the Times
12.(RE) Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
13.(NE) Clay Aiken - Solitaire
14.(13) Madonna - Best Friend
15.(RE) Miguel - Sky Walker
16.(RE) Frank Ocean - Thinkin Bout You
17.(RE) Years & Years - Meteorite
18.(RE) Adam Lambert - Whataya Want from Me
19.(RE) Jordin Sparks - Battlefield
20.(RE) Carrie Underwood - Blown Away
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:15 am

04.(RE) Lindsey Stirling - Crystallize (Best Comeback)
Oh my god, almost had a heart attack cause I thought it was Kylie's song Crystallize :cry: :cry:

12.(RE) Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
I know a lot of people really enjoy this song, I'm not sure why though. Maybe i need to get my taste fixed :lol:

16.(RE) Frank Ocean - Thinkin Bout You
GREAT song! A+. Nice to see it pop back up.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:24 am

SummerPeur wrote:Oh my god, almost had a heart attack cause I thought it was Kylie's song Crystallize :cry: :cry:
The Lindsey Stirling song helped me through the toughest exams I've ever taken, which coincided with a general tough period in my life, so it'll go down as one of my all-time favourites...introduced to me by the incredible Tansike!

I listened to Kylie's "Crystallize" and I enjoyed it!

SummerPeur wrote:I know a lot of people really enjoy this song, I'm not sure why though. Maybe i need to get my taste fixed :lol:
Sinéad delivers a very haunting, emotional vocal on an even more haunting, emotional song, so I think that's what gets most people, and if you can personally relate to the song...well, that's just feels overload at that point.

SummerPeur wrote:GREAT song! A+. Nice to see it pop back up.
Aw, glad to see you appreciate that Frankie song. It's his second best after "Bad Religion".
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:34 am

Saturday's Top 20 (December 30th)

01.(RE) Katy Perry - Roulette (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, French Montana, Juicy J, & Belly)
03.(14) Madonna - Best Friend (Greatest Gainer)
04.(02) Childish Gambino - Redbone
05.(01) Rae Morris - Do It
06.(RE) Madonna - Justify My Love
07.(RE) Harry Styles - Ever Since New York
08.(RE) Paloma Faith - The Architect
09.(RE) Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
10.(05) Zac Efron & Zendaya - Rewrite the Stars (Biggest Free Faller)
11.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Already Gone
12.(RE) G-Eazy - I Mean It (feat. Remo)
13.(RE) Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl
14.(RE) Lana Del Rey - White Mustang
15.(RE) Taylor Swift - Getaway Car
16.(RE) Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
17.(RE) Eminem - Lose Yourself
18.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out of My Head
19.(RE) Kelly Clarkson - Slow Dance
20.(RE) Kendrick Lamar - Humble
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:20 am

Monday's Top 20 (January 1st)

01.(RE) David Guetta - Titanium (feat. Sia) (Best Comeback)
02.(RE) Lady Gaga - Born This Way
03.(02) G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, French Montana, Juicy J, & Belly)
04.(05) Rae Morris - Do It
05.(RE) Lady Gaga - Marry the Night
06.(RE) Katy Perry - Firework
07.(RE) ABBA - Happy New Year
08.(NE) Kendrick Lamar - DNA (Highest Debut)
09.(RE) Sia - Everyday Is Christmas
10.(RE) Sia - The Greatest (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
11.(RE) SZA - Pretty Little Birds (feat. Isaiah Rashad)
12.(RE) Paramore - Fake Happy
13.(08) Paloma Faith - The Architect
14.(RE) Lady Gaga - The Cure
15.(RE) Bruno Mars - Treasure
16.(RE) Kendrick Lamar - Duckworth
17.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
18.(20) Kendrick Lamar - Humble (Greatest Gainer)
19.(RE) Childish Gambino - Redbone
20.(10) Zac Efron & Zendaya - Rewrite the Stars (Biggest Free Faller)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:34 am

Yes!!!!! @ the Titanium return! Best thing sia sis has ever done!

Is the firework return related to news years? ;P

Love Pretty Little Birds as well.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:55 am

SummerPeur wrote:Yes!!!!! @ the Titanium return! Best thing sia sis has ever done!

Is the firework return related to news years? ;P

Love Pretty Little Birds as well.
I agree + yes + happy to hear you enjoy that one, too.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:57 am

Tuesday's Top 20 (January 2nd)

01.(01) David Guetta - Titanium (feat. Sia)
02.(RE) Madonna - Best Friend (Best Comeback)
03.(05) Lady Gaga - Marry the Night
04.(RE) Sean Paul - Got 2 Luv U (feat. Alexis Jordan)
05.(RE) Cher - Taxi Taxi
06.(15) Bruno Mars - Treasure (Greatest Gainer)
07.(RE) Rihanna - Diamonds
08.(RE) J. Cole - Fire Squad
09.(04) Rae Morris - Do It (Biggest Free Faller)
10.(RE) Madonna - Justify My Love
11.(RE) Charli XCX - Boys
12.(11) SZA - Pretty Little Birds (feat. Isaiah Rashad)
13.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
14.(RE) Taylor Swift - Getaway Car
15.(RE) Miranda Lambert - Vice
16.(14) Lady Gaga - The Cure
17.(RE) Justin Timberlake - Spaceship Coupe
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
19.(RE) David Guetta - When Love Takes Over (feat. Kelly Rowland)
20.(RE) Coldplay - Hymn for the Weekend (feat. Beyoncé)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:30 pm

JSparksFan wrote:The time off from work shouldn't be difficult to secure because it's during the summer, and things are always slower during that time. The Canadian part of the trip will involve some of my high school colleagues, as I'm really going to be incorporating a vacation into a club trip so...that should be fun. As for NYC, I don't think my sister would even let me touch NYC soil again without her, so her presence is pretty much a given. :lol:
Sounds like a pretty fabulous itinerary! This might be a stupid question, but do you mean friends from high school who are living in Canada now, or friends from high school will be travelling with you to Canada (before you ditch them to rendezvous with your sister in NYC?)

JSparksFan wrote:That's my only gripe with him really. I don't think he's a bad guy, but all he's really done is be a decent human-being - come out in favour of gay marriage and LGBT+ rights in general - and he's played a few gay roles on TV, and that's pretty much it. And even in his 'support' through those roles he played, he kinda infringes on that other discussion we had about LGBT+ actors losing out on LGBT+ roles to their hetero counterparts.
**Nod** It also seems like straight actors are sometimes automatically given a little TOO much credit for being "willing"/"brave enough" to play LGBTQ+ characters (as if even pretending to be one of us is such a huge sacrifice/threat to their career/etc.) Then again, as long as there's still actors who flat-out refuse to play LGBTQ+ characters in order to preserve their "Christian values" and whatnot, I guess the ones who ARE willing deserve at least a little credit for that "support"? Idk...

JSparksFan wrote:You've raised another excellent point in the education issue. I think another problem is that Hollywood itself is a kind of bubble where people get cut off from reality, and if they don't have non-celeb friends or acquaintances around that can relay experiences to them that are outside the scope of their own, then there will be a lack of sensitive/empathy to issues that they know nothing about. And the lack of formal education just compounds that.
Thanks - and I totally agree with your bubble remark! Celebs can very easily surround themselves with "friends"/colleagues who are essentially just groupies/yes-men/etc. who will shower them with praise/acceptance no matter what they say/do. Or celebs can just hop on Twitter and instantly find (in some cases literally millions of) fans willing to vehemently defend them and dismiss anyone offering a conflicting perspective as "haters." Why bother trying to better yourself/broaden your mind when millions of people treat you like a god anyway?

JSparksFan wrote:The reason "Best Friend" is back - and all the other Madonna tracks for that matter - is that the Photobucket policy changed kinda wrecked my countdowns, and I finally had time to go back and fix all the broken links. In doing so, I decided to revisit some of the songs that I had ranked fairly low just to see if my thoughts on them had changed, and I can definitely say that I ranked two in particular too low: "Best Friend" and "Justify My Love".
Ugh, YES! I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but that change REALLY screwed me over too, and partially influenced my decision not to post a full year-end countdown for 2017 (since I haven't found a comparable free alternative site for making banners and such.) :x :x :x

JSparksFan wrote:Damn, that was a phenomenal era indeed. You're even forgetting "Night of Your Life". So much dance-pop goodness! Calvin Harris could never. :cry:
Ooh, that's actually a new one on me! It looks like it was an iTunes Countdown single (leading into the album's release), but never got a full proper push? As I'm hearing it now for the first time, it's definitely a jam :o You were/are a pretty big fan of JHud, yeah? Or at least a few of her tunes...?

JSparksFan wrote:Oh, yes, I was so obsessed with "My Dilemma". It spent 12 days at #1 here, which just might be the longest run at the top for a non-single. I have to check to confirm that.
I'd love to know if/when you do!

JSparksFan wrote:01.(01) David Guetta - Titanium (feat. Sia)
02.(RE) Madonna - Best Friend (Best Comeback)
03.(05) Lady Gaga - Marry the Night
04.(RE) Sean Paul - Got 2 Luv U (feat. Alexis Jordan)
06.(15) Bruno Mars - Treasure (Greatest Gainer)
07.(RE) Rihanna - Diamonds
10.(RE) Madonna - Justify My Love
11.(RE) Charli XCX - Boys
13.(RE) Rita Ora - Anywhere
14.(RE) Taylor Swift - Getaway Car
16.(14) Lady Gaga - The Cure
18.(RE) Mariah Carey - Melt Away
19.(RE) David Guetta - When Love Takes Over (feat. Kelly Rowland)
20.(RE) Coldplay - Hymn for the Weekend (feat. Beyoncé)
• Ha, truly shading 2017 by closing out the year (and ringing in 2018) with a classic from 2011-2012. :lol:
• Aw, Alexis Jordan vanished way too soon :( Speaking of 2011, her "Good Girl" was one of my biggest hits that year.

Yet another solid chart, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:48 am

phoenix98 wrote:Sounds like a pretty fabulous itinerary! This might be a stupid question, but do you mean friends from high school who are living in Canada now, or friends from high school will be travelling with you to Canada (before you ditch them to rendezvous with your sister in NYC?)
The latter, bolded bit.

phoenix98 wrote:**Nod** It also seems like straight actors are sometimes automatically given a little TOO much credit for being "willing"/"brave enough" to play LGBTQ+ characters (as if even pretending to be one of us is such a huge sacrifice/threat to their career/etc.) Then again, as long as there's still actors who flat-out refuse to play LGBTQ+ characters in order to preserve their "Christian values" and whatnot, I guess the ones who ARE willing deserve at least a little credit for that "support"? Idk...
No, they don't. You shouldn't be rewarded for not being a bigot. That's setting the bar way too low.

phoenix98 wrote:Thanks - and I totally agree with your bubble remark! Celebs can very easily surround themselves with "friends"/colleagues who are essentially just groupies/yes-men/etc. who will shower them with praise/acceptance no matter what they say/do. Or celebs can just hop on Twitter and instantly find (in some cases literally millions of) fans willing to vehemently defend them and dismiss anyone offering a conflicting perspective as "haters." Why bother trying to better yourself/broaden your mind when millions of people treat you like a god anyway?
Exactly!

phoenix98 wrote:Ugh, YES! I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but that change REALLY screwed me over too, and partially influenced my decision not to post a full year-end countdown for 2017 (since I haven't found a comparable free alternative site for making banners and such.) :x :x :x
I've been using Facebook as a hosting site. I just make the pictures visible to me only, create the albums (for YEC songs, YEC albums, YEC artists, etc.) and keep it moving. I use Paint to make banners.

phoenix98 wrote:Ooh, that's actually a new one on me! It looks like it was an iTunes Countdown single (leading into the album's release), but never got a full proper push? As I'm hearing it now for the first time, it's definitely a jam :o You were/are a pretty big fan of JHud, yeah? Or at least a few of her tunes...?
Ooh, super glad to hear you like it! I am a fan of J-Hud's talent, and when she's given the right song, she's dangerous. "Where You At" was a pretty big hit on my charts.

phoenix98 wrote:I'd love to know if/when you do!
I'll let you know! I have a suspicion that not only does it hold that specific record, but that there's a sizeable gap back to #2, too.

phoenix98 wrote:• Ha, truly shading 2017 by closing out the year (and ringing in 2018) with a classic from 2011-2012. :lol:
Well, "Titanium" is among my Top 10 songs ever, so I wouldn't call this umpteenth "Titanium" wave 2017 shade. 2017 was a decent year in music for me.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:49 am

Wednesday's Top 20 (January 3rd)

01.(01) David Guetta - Titanium (feat. Sia)
02.(NE) Lorde - The Louvre (Highest Debut)
03.(RE) David Guetta - Night of Your Life (feat. Jennifer Hudson) (Best Comeback)
04.(RE) Foster the People - Pay the Man
05.(RE) Ella Eyre - Comeback
06.(RE) Sean Paul - Got 2 Luv U (feat. Alexis Jordan)
07.(RE) George Michael - You Have Been Loved
08.(RE) Madonna - Love Tried to Welcome Me
09.(RE) Jessie Ware - Selfish Love
10.(NE) Lorde - Sober
11.(RE) Ariana Grande - Into You
12.(NE) Lorde - Supercut
13.(RE) Sia - Cheap Thrills
14.(RE) Madonna - Miles Away
15.(RE) Taylor Swift - Delicate
16.(RE) Katy Perry - Bigger Than Me
17.(RE) Madonna - Jimmy Jimmy
18.(RE) Rihanna - Man Down
19.(RE) Whitney Houston - I Bow Out
20.(RE) Frank Sinatra - My Way
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am

You seem to have kicked off 2018 with a classic and empowering anthem! - What a great way to celebrate the beginning of 2018! "Titanium" is great! - I also love Guetta's "Night Of Your Life". It's nice to see one the very few good and brilliant tracks by Sean Paul on your chart! - "Into You", "Delicate", "Miles Away" and YEEEEEEEEEEES "Bigger Than Me" are brilliant chocies as well!

Good chart!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:55 am

Mainshow wrote:You seem to have kicked off 2018 with a classic and empowering anthem! - What a great way to celebrate the beginning of 2018! "Titanium" is great! - I also love Guetta's "Night Of Your Life". It's nice to see one the very few good and brilliant tracks by Sean Paul on your chart! - "Into You", "Delicate", "Miles Away" and YEEEEEEEEEEES "Bigger Than Me" are brilliant chocies as well!

Good chart!
Yeah, "Titanium" is definitely one of my favourite songs of all-time. It's perhaps Top 5 at this point.

I feel like you were the one that got me into "Bigger Than Me," so thanks for that!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:00 am

Thursday's Top 20 (January 4th)

01.(10) Lorde - Sober (Greatest Gainer)
02.(RE) Bruno Mars - Finesse (feat. Cardi B) (Best Comeback)
03.(02) Lorde - The Louvre (Biggest Free Faller)
04.(RE) Little Mix - Wings
05.(RE) Lorde - Tennis Court
06.(RE) Mariah Carey - Hero
07.(12) Lorde - Supercut
08.(RE) Kylie Minogue - Aphrodite
09.(RE) Sia - The Greatest (feat. Kendrick Lamar)
10.(RE) Hurts - Wonderful Life
11.(RE) Sia - Day Too Soon
12.(RE) Miley Cyrus - The Climb
13.(RE) Lorde - Royals
14.(RE) Mary Mary - Shackles (Praise You)
15.(RE) Natasha Bedingfield - Pocketful of Sunshine
16.(RE) Lorde - Team
17.(RE) Katy Perry - Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley)
18.(RE) G-Eazy - No Limit (feat. A$AP Rocky, Cardi B, French Montana, Juicy J, & Belly)
19.(RE) Katy Perry - Rise
20.(RE) Kylie Minogue - All the Lovers
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:48 pm

Literally haven’t listened to Aphrodite (song nor album) in years but it had a couple of bangers on it. Yay for Pocketful Of Sunshine, Natasha became a Mum the other day, that song always puts me in a summery mood!
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:48 am

Spartan wrote:Literally haven’t listened to Aphrodite (song nor album) in years but it had a couple of bangers on it. Yay for Pocketful Of Sunshine, Natasha became a Mum the other day, that song always puts me in a summery mood!
Happy New Year, Pete! :D

The title track screams positivity and self-confidence. It's one of Kylie's finest songs. I follow Natasha on Facebook, so I knew she was pregnant, but I didn't know she'd given birth yet. Good for her. Hope her child is healthy and lets her get some decent hours of sleep.

"Pocketful of Sunshine" does the same for me. It's on a 'Lift Me Up' playlist that I go to when I have a rough work day.
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts