JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:09 pm

22. Ofenbach - Be mine

Back in March i entered the 118th FSC representing France. I discovered Ofenbach whilst looking through other countries iTunes charts - i tend to do this whenever i'm searching for potential entries for FSC. Be mine was riding high in France's iTunes chart so i checked out the music video on YouTube out of sheer curiosity.

Not knowing what to expect, my initial thought was "tropical dance because they're all doing it". :lol: When the track started, the twang of country guitar caught me off guard right away. By the time the beat kicked in, i was smiling whilst watching the video. I was still unsure whether a song like this would do well but i entered Ofenbach anyways because i thought Be mine was a pretty fun track.

When the results were revealed at the end of the month i was gobsmacked. Ofenbach won the contest leaving me feeling elated as this marked my first ever victory in the FSC. Following the results, Be mine got a boost and was looking set to climb to #1, but the guys were narrowly pipped to the post by a very dominant Clean Bandit.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:34 pm

21. Mabel featuring Kojo Funds - Finders keepers

It was back in early October when i discovered Finders keepers when i was flicking through the music channels and this was getting played on MTV. Granted, it was about halfway into the video but i was interested in what i was listening to. A little bit of research later and i realised that the track had been around for a couple of months and had been slowly climbing its way up the UK charts thanks to its success on Spotify. Then i discovered that Mabel's mum is none other than Neneh Cherry who had a successful career in the late 80s/early 90s.

My next stop was going on YouTube to listen to Finders keepers in its entirely purely because the line that goes "put your arms all around it" was stuck in my head like the ultimate earworm. That's when i heard Kojo Funds and at first i was a bit like "ohh no" :( However, as the song continued i didn't think Kojo's vocals were that bad whilst Mabel sounded flawless. My love for Finder keepers had ignited and i downloaded the song on iTunes.

Speaking of the music video, i couldn't help but notice the snippet at the end of the music video. I was curious as to what that song was. Well, it's called Fine line and got released today. I don't think its premature at all for me to suggest already that Mabel is looking very likely to have at least one entry in my top 100 of 2018. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:39 pm

20. Camila Cabello featuring Young Thug - Havana

Looking back over the last twelve months, it really highlights just how much Camila Cabello was being pushed by her record label. After a couple of features, it was time for Camila to showcase some solo material of her own.

It started with Crying in the club which had the makings of a decent pop song but Camila's diction was appalling imo and it felt as if i was listening to a song that wasn't entirely sang in english. :lol:

Havana was released as the second official single in August (alongside OMG but let's forget this song existed :lol: ) and on first listen i liked the song but i didn't love it. The track entered my chart but swiftly dropped out the following week and it took a further month before Havana made a successful resurgence re-entering my chart. I was slowly warming more to the song, as reflected in its chart run (11-(x5)-15-12-09-09-07-04-02-06-08-14), this was the most successful slow burner of 2017.

The music video was released towards the end of October leading to another boost pushing Havana into my top 5 and finally thirteen weeks after first entering my chart, Camila achieved her best ever peak in my chart when Havana climbed all the way up to #2.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:47 pm

"Seeing Blind" is fantastic. I think it could be Niall's biggest hit in the US when it gets its inevitable release.

I preferred Bangerz Miley to the country Miley we got in 2017, but "Malibu" is gorgeous. So reflective of, and content in, her romance with Liam. It's one of the best love songs of 2017.

Senseless violence frustrates every fibre of my being. To take someone's life, when they have done you no wrong, and to do it in such a place of carefree joy and celebration felt even more sinister. The lyrics of "One Last Time" definitely rang darker after the Manchester tragedy. Kudos to Ariana and her team for the handling of that devastating massacre.

"Be Mine" is good. I like it.

"Havana" has a lethal hook. I had no choice in the matter really. It was the perfect song for her.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm

19. Starley - Call on me (Ryan Riback remix)

Starley got 2017 to a flying start having already spent the final two weeks of 2016 at #1 in my chart. Thanks to discovering the song in Sweden's singles chart, Call on me impacted very quickly and the momentum kept Starley at #1 in the first weekly chart of 2017.

Despite all the success, Starley has remained a one hit wonder in my chart ever since. In fact, even Ryan Riback hasn't had another hit to his name either. It's left to be seen if their fortunes are transformed in 2018. Still, i think Call on me is a wonderful song and Ryan Riback's remix helped to push the track through to the mainstream and by early 2017 this became a big chart hit in several countries.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:18 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Seeing Blind" is fantastic. I think it could be Niall's biggest hit in the US when it gets its inevitable release.

I preferred Bangerz Miley to the country Miley we got in 2017, but "Malibu" is gorgeous. So reflective of, and content in, her romance with Liam. It's one of the best love songs of 2017.

Senseless violence frustrates every fibre of my being. To take someone's life, when they have done you no wrong, and to do it in such a place of carefree joy and celebration felt even more sinister. The lyrics of "One Last Time" definitely rang darker after the Manchester tragedy. Kudos to Ariana and her team for the handling of that devastating massacre.

"Be Mine" is good. I like it.

"Havana" has a lethal hook. I had no choice in the matter really. It was the perfect song for her.
LOL i love how you say "inevitable". <3 It really is a no brainer, Seeing blind surely has to be the next single.

I thought the Bangerz era was quite inconsistent as whilst i loved Wrecking ball (it was one of my earliest #1 singles when my first was in its infancy), i wan't struck on We can't stop when that song first premiered, and after that none of the other singles made my chart. So in a way, Younger now has been more successful because it spawned three top 10 singles. :wink: I agree though that Malibu was such an amazing song to introduce the next album era.

Hear hear. I was discussing this with Fan in my UK #1s of the 00s countdown, spurred on from the appearance of Where is the love? by Black Eyed Peas. It just astonishes and infuriates me that we're living in a world that gave us the message in 2003 to open our eyes, yet the world somehow became blinded and terror attacks have become more riff than ever. :evil: I totally agree with what you posted about Ariana, she and her team did a remarkable job to make One love Manchester happen.

Be mine is a bit cheesy but its one of those songs where i can't help but love the song even though it sounds more like a novelty song.

Havana was like the Cinderella's shoes being put of Camila's feet. :lol: Young Thug still does absolutely nothing for me though, his feature is so clunky and pointless. I don't think i will ever appreciate the skills of singing badly and using autotune to make those bad vocals sound even worse. :lol:
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:38 pm

18. Alice Merton - No roots

After winning the 118th FSC, i didn't have any potential entries for the following month so didn't participate. However, i still checked out the songs that were entered purely to see if there were any new discoveries.

Kudos to flopho for introducing me to Alice Merton. :D It only required one listen of No roots and i was completely hooked on the song. The track sounded dirty, almost earthy and yet somehow also sounded incredibly fresh as No roots didn't sound anything like the big chart hits that i was already loving in April. The chorus is amazing and i equally loved the way the song continues to build up and i tend to lose myself when No roots goes into the middle 8 and the quirky synth instrumental section that follows. Just so brilliant. :D

So impressed, i even decided to start an official thread for No roots after realising that nobody else had opened one. :P

Alice Merton topped my chart for a fortnight back in May and enjoyed excellent chart success in her native Germany after No roots was used in a tv commercial for Vodaphone.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:54 pm

17. LP - No witness

We've already seen LP at #97 with Tightrope and now at #17 it's LP's highest entry in my top 100 of 2017.

No witness was brought to my attention thanks to Tansike when he successfully entered the track into the FSC in January. After checking out the track on YouTube, it was another instant smash for me. Sadly i didn't have any tracks to enter myself so i didn't participate but LP would've easily received my 12 points that contest. This was coming off the back of Lost on you being my #1 single of 2016. I was already anticipating hearing new music from LP, and when i heard No witness i was totally on board.

The track also ended up having a rather disjointed chart run. Entering my chart at #1 off the back of the 116th FSC where i made this discovery. In April, LP's album Lost on you was finally added to UK iTunes as a pre-order and No witness was released as an instant grat. Naturally, i bought the track as soon as i realised it was on iTunes which gave the track a second wind of success when LP found herself catapulted back up my chart again. Finally. the official music video was released towards the end of September and LP enjoyed a third wind of success returning to my top 10 for the third time.

JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:59 pm

My personal chart responed to Alice Merton's "No roots" the day after the music video was released (it debuted at #7), when it hard about a thousand views. I have never expected it to be such a success.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 pm

16. Lady Gaga - The cure

I've already mentioned how Lady Gaga hoped to seize the opportunity taking advantage of a quiet week and hit the top of my chart with John Wayne (#47) but had its chance cut short.

In April Lady Gaga released brand new single The cure and in true Gaga style, she opted for the old traditional Sunday release strategy because, why not? :lol: It left many people confused though. Was this signalling the end of the Joanne era? Perhaps there wasn't much more the record label could've done to make Joanne successful.

When i checked out The cure for the first time, it was instant love. I felt like Lady Gaga had finally released a song that i had longed for and in the process, Lady Gaga scored her first ever #1 single in my chart. I was such a big fan of The fame monster and here i had Lady Gaga sounding sensational on an unashamed pop song. Amazing! :D

I'm still not entirely sure whether this was a one off stand-alone single as there hasn't been any official music video for The cure although a lyric video was released in May. I was so happy that Lady Gaga released The cure and i hope that we'll see more pop orientated Gaga hits in 2018 as this is where i think Lady Gaga shines the most.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:25 pm

heppolo wrote:My personal chart responed to Alice Merton's "No roots" the day after the music video was released (it debuted at #7), when it hard about a thousand views. I have never expected it to be such a success.
Sometimes this can be really exciting to watch unfold. No roots is so quirky and different to the type of music most other artists have been releasing so this stood out immensely for me.
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:32 pm

JakeP wrote:
heppolo wrote:My personal chart responed to Alice Merton's "No roots" the day after the music video was released (it debuted at #7), when it hard about a thousand views. I have never expected it to be such a success.
Sometimes this can be really exciting to watch unfold. No roots is so quirky and different to the type of music most other artists have been releasing so this stood out immensely for me.
I see so many good acts going by unnoticed on almost a daily basis. Which makes me more suprirsed by success rather than failure of a young artist. :)
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:52 pm

heppolo wrote:I see so many good acts going by unnoticed on almost a daily basis. Which makes me more suprirsed by success rather than failure of a young artist. :)
I suspect a lot of this comes down to how much money the record label are willing to invest in the new artists. Smaller labels and indie labels won't have the same luxury of pumping £2 million into the new music video and promo campaign.

Of course when an emerging talent finds chart success its always going to be a remarkable achievement. Perhaps social media also helped Alice Merton to establish herself more.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:10 am

"No Roots" is great. I love its lyrics. I can totally relate to it.

"The Cure" doesn't explore any new sounds for Gaga, so I suppose on that end it's nothing special, but the lyrics and her voice totally make it stand out for me!

JakeP wrote:Havana was like the Cinderella's shoes being put of Camila's feet. :lol: Young Thug still does absolutely nothing for me though, his feature is so clunky and pointless. I don't think i will ever appreciate the skills of singing badly and using autotune to make those bad vocals sound even worse. :lol:
Great description! :lol:

The solo version she did on Jimmy Kimmel is my favourite version of the song. Young Thug is completely pointless indeed.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:24 am

22. Ofenbach - Be mine
Cool tune, which got a little bit overplaid here & there.
heppolo
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"No Roots" is great. I love its lyrics. I can totally relate to it.

"The Cure" doesn't explore any new sounds for Gaga, so I suppose on that end it's nothing special, but the lyrics and her voice totally make it stand out for me!

JakeP wrote:Havana was like the Cinderella's shoes being put of Camila's feet. :lol: Young Thug still does absolutely nothing for me though, his feature is so clunky and pointless. I don't think i will ever appreciate the skills of singing badly and using autotune to make those bad vocals sound even worse. :lol:
Great description! :lol:

The solo version she did on Jimmy Kimmel is my favourite version of the song. Young Thug is completely pointless indeed.
No roots is a total gem. I loved the track because it sounded so fresh and unique, i can't really think of a single other song from 2017 that sounds like it. Its songs like these that i always find endearing and in an ideal world Alice Merton would've had a worldwide hit with this track.

I know many people criticised Lady Gaga when The cure was released but for me, this was a return to the unashamed pop roots that made me love Lady Gaga in the first place. I adore the tenderness of her vocals in the verses before belting out the chorus. I agree that the lyrical content was quite thought provoking.

I'd have been much happier had Havana just been a solid pop song without the need of a random autotune fanatic ruining the song with that "talent". :x
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 pm

heppolo wrote:22. Ofenbach - Be mine
Cool tune, which got a little bit overplaid here & there.
Yet in the UK i don't think the song has had any airplay whatsoever. :roll: Considering how successful Ofenbach have been in 2017, i still don't understand why neither of singles were given a good amount of airplay to get their music heard.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 pm

15. Marina Kaye - Something

It's time for another Tansike discovery. :D

After Marine Kaye topped Tansike's chart back in October, i decided to check out of this song out of interest. I found myself being drawn into the song and it duly entered my chart that weekend albeit at #16. However, with Something i had discovered a song that i personally found more captivating the more i listened to the song.

It also couldn't have arrived at a more perfect time. Despite the nature of this song being eerie and hauntingly beautiful, it gave me a feeling of warmth and comfort and somehow made me think of christmas. It was as if this song was the fireplace in a log cabin with the snow falling outside. :lol: A couple of weeks later I became so in love with Something that i downloaded the song on iTunes. This helped boost the song tenfold in my chart.

An incredible gorgeous ballad, Marina finally scored her second hit in my chart following top 10 hit Homeless from 2015. However, in this instance Marina Kaye defied all the odds and successfully climbed all the way to #1. Even i hadn't exactly anticipated Marina topping my chart when Something first charted.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:51 pm

14. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the hill

While Shape of you (#64) was on its way to becoming one of the biggest global hits of the year, it was Castle on the hill that i was loving significantly more.

I knew Ed Sheeran was planning on releasing new music in January 2017. However, i wasn't expected two new singles to get released on the same day. Alas, that's precisely what happened and after checking out both songs, it was the U2-esque euphoric nature of Castle on the hill that appealed to me instantly.

I love an amazing chorus and with Castle on the hill, Ed delivered such a joyous uplifting track that had that singalong ability. Ed Sheeran scored his second #1 hit following the huge success of Thinking out loud in 2014.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 pm

13. Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa - Scared to be lonely

After starting out as a big house producer, Martin Garrix stepped away from his earlier trademark sound and in 2016 took on a whole new approach experimenting with different styles. The end result saw Martin Garrix being celebrated as DJ Mag's #1 dj/producer of 2016.

It was also in late 2016 when Martin Garrix teased a snippet of his forthcoming new single featuring the vocal talents of Dua Lipa and the song sounded very promising. Sure enough, when Scared to be lonely was released the song clicked with me on first listen. I adored everything about the track, and i thought it was incredibly smart of Martin Garrix to move further away from big house and start writing and composing a genuine structured pop song. Of course, being Martin Garrix there was always going to be elements of edm thrown in for good measure. :P

Dua Lipa provides such sublime vocals on the track. Her vocals are almost effortless and dreamy. The combination of Dua's vocals with Martin's production skills accompanied by an additional violinist really helped to bring this song to life. I regard this track as more of a heartwarming ballad than an edm track.

Scared to be lonely hit the top spot in February and in the process provided both Martin Garrix and Dua Lipa with their first #1 single in my chart,

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:36 pm

12. Niall Horan - Too much to ask

Speaking of heartwarming ballads, here's another one. :P

Niall Horan is up next with his fourth of five appearances with the adorable Too much to ask. Released as the third single off Flicker, i was naturally ecstatic when the single was released. I had been trying to play down my levels of anticipation because i didn't want to be disappointed. :oops:

Thankfully Niall delivered an exceptional ballad. <3 What i loved so much about Too much to ask was how we finally got to really hear Niall's gorgeous vocal tone without any effects. It was just so pure and smooth. The lyrics are so beautiful too and the melodies are equally lush which all culminated in another instant smash for me.

After just 24 hours, Niall Horan rocketed into my chart at #2 unable to dethrone an already dominant Logic. Finally, at long last, Niall scored his first #1 single in my chart the following week and Too much to ask spent two non consecutive weeks at the top.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:02 pm

11. Logic featuring Alessia Cara & Khalid - 1-800-273-8255

It all started thanks to a performance at the MTV Vmas 2017. Up until this point i had never heard of Logic, wasn't aware of who he was or heard any of his music.

That all changed following his live performance of 1-800-273-8255. What struck me the most about this track was the musicality. Those emotional sounding strings in the intro and throughout the track suggested to me that this was going to be much more than just another typical US rapper with a Spotify streaming hit. This was a song that showcased a lot of meaning, depth and substance as Logic proved towards the end of his MTV performance when he delivered his excellent speech.

It was only after seeing Logic's live performance that i decided to watch the music video on YouTube. OMG! :cry: I was almost in tears watching the music video. It's definitely one of the most powerful videos i'd seen over the last twelve months. Wouldn't Nolan Gould and Coy Stewart make a lovely couple? <3 :wink: The footage combined with those strings in the song really hit me on an emotional level. As far as US rap songs go, i'd say 1-800-273-8255 was probably THE most important rap song to be released last year.

Alessia Cara and Khalid also provide a nice contrast in vocal styles alongside those of rapper Logic. This was very much an unexpected hit for me but one that i am thankful for discovering.

JakeP
Manager

Postby SummerPeur » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:09 pm

23. Ariana Grande - One last time

Ahhhh....One Last Time. I love what it stands for, and how it created such a positive impact. Personally, I don't like the song, but I'm glad she used it to really help so many people and drive unity. So it deserves so much respect.

I don't get this songs appeal at all :(. Maybe I'm missing something, or I just have really bad taste in music. I literally can't stand this song, that if it comes on the radio, I will always turn it off rather then just sit through it. It almost like a blurred lines (which I disliked as well). :cry:

16. Lady Gaga - The cure

The A typical throw away. Will always annoy me that this song was given the 'once off' treatment. If this was released as a lead single, with proper promotion and push, it would of been a huge hit for her in several countries.

I really enjoy this song. Great to see it achieve a good position. Only song I enjoy so far that Dua Lipa is on. (She is the one that sings that new rules thing right?). It is such a well constructed song, that everything just works and is blended together so perfectly.
How about you Get the F*** Out.
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:53 pm

I definitely didn't have the same feeling as you when I FIRST heard Malibu, I thought it was dull af, though I did definitely grow to enjoy it.

I enjoyed the Logic, Alessia, Khalid track and really appreciated its message but it never clicked with me in a major way,

The Cure and Havana are great pop songs and I agree with every word about Scared To Be Lonely. You've put me off Castle on the Hill by describing it as U2-esque though!

Love Too Much To Ask, also a big fan of Seeing Blind. I hope that and On The Loose both get single releases and help sell the album better! Niall 4ever
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:10 pm

SummerPeur wrote:23. Ariana Grande - One last time

Ahhhh....One Last Time. I love what it stands for, and how it created such a positive impact. Personally, I don't like the song, but I'm glad she used it to really help so many people and drive unity. So it deserves so much respect.

I don't get this songs appeal at all :(. Maybe I'm missing something, or I just have really bad taste in music. I literally can't stand this song, that if it comes on the radio, I will always turn it off rather then just sit through it. It almost like a blurred lines (which I disliked as well). :cry:

16. Lady Gaga - The cure

The A typical throw away. Will always annoy me that this song was given the 'once off' treatment. If this was released as a lead single, with proper promotion and push, it would of been a huge hit for her in several countries.

I really enjoy this song. Great to see it achieve a good position. Only song I enjoy so far that Dua Lipa is on. (She is the one that sings that new rules thing right?). It is such a well constructed song, that everything just works and is blended together so perfectly.
Aww really? I liked One last time first time round but in early 2015 the song could only peak as high as #9 whereas after that terror attack, the song gained a completely new meaning with the lyrics. I had wondered whether to re-enter the song or not but in the end i decided to let it chart as if it was a new single because under the circumstances, it sure felt like a new song. :(

Well as you can see from its chart run, Havana wasn't an instant hit for me. I think it says a lot that the song peaked thirteen after first entering my chart. Usually my absolute favourite songs that start off high up towards the top of the chart tend to have on average 13 weeks in my chart.

I suspect The cure would've had similar success to Perfect illusion had it been the lead single. Difficult to say if it would've been bigger although iirc The cure was fairly successful on Spotify charts so maybe it could've been a bigger success.

I'm so happy to see your love for Scared to be lonely. It has that haunting beautiful quality about the song, and Dua's vocals really sell the song. I love the meaning behind the lyrics, something i reckon most people can relate to. Aww you're not a fan of Dua Lipa? :(
JakeP
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts