The Song Collectors IV - THE FINAL - WINNER!

Moderators: tdc2000, Spartan

Postby leomedar » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:10 pm

Sent my votes!
leomedar
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:29 pm

I have all judges scores in - will post the results tonight!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Spartan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:59 pm

Yes Wayne, get those results up baby!
Spartan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:53 pm

Thriller

Postby Wayne » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Round 9 Results

Amel Larrieux - Bravebird - Gravity

leomedar: A soft and nice track, her voice is so-so and the song eventually becomes too samey.
JSparksFan: Good use of melisma. For the theme, it's a bit too light for my liking, though.
urbanmusik: Love the chilled house vibe of this song. Amel's smooth vocals sound great over it, though you wouldn't guess she was talking about such a heavy topic if you didn't pay close attention to the lyrics.
Wayne: for me personally, it feels like the melody and the vocals belong to two different songs. The vocals themselves remind me of Leona Lewis. But love the melody and the lyrics - strong link to the theme!
Christina Aguilera - Fighter - sonia85

leomedar: One of her best. Her best video too. Safe choice.
JSparksFan: The spoken intro with the smug giggle, the lyrics that favour celebration of the person the victim became through the oppressor's torture over raw bitterness, the dark backing vocals, the stratospheric main vocals, the pop-rock production that powers the melody, the haunting video - this song is not only Christina Aguilera's magnum opus, it is also a winning interpretation of the theme, and the best song featured in this edition of the Song Collectors thus far.
urbanmusik: It's a classic. Always loved this song, but it's a very predictable choice.
Wayne: one of my favourite songs of all-time and a perfect link to the theme. The vocals, the music, the lyrics and the video - all exquisite and you get an overwhelming sense of empowerment having listened to this. One little intricacy of the song I love - the backing vocals during the chorus, they are very subtle but they add so much to the flow of the song and once the bridge comes round - the song goes to the next level. Docked a point for the song choice being too obvious.
Hugh Jackman - From Now On - Spartan

leomedar: If you haven't seen the movie the song itself will probably sound boring, weak and uninteresting. I haven't seen the movie.
JSparksFan: The wait for that marching parade of a chorus was well worth it.
urbanmusik: The lyrics are the kind of bland, vague inspirational mantra I was dreading with this round. I didn't enjoy the melody, instrumentation or Hugh's voice either.
Wayne: a piano-driven ballad is my weakness! However, you've probably picked one of the few people that hasn't seen this movie, nor bought into its hype - so scoring as a standalone song. Firstly, the melody is just outstanding and Hugh is a much better singer than I thought he'd be and the last 90 seconds or so are awesome! But I think not knowing the movie probably lessens my view of the song as I don't think it's more than a "good" song as a standalone.
Jamey Johnson - High Cost Of Living - trebor

leomedar: Very good deep country track.
JSparksFan: Strong first half, underwhelming second half. Overall, the lyrics are decent.
urbanmusik: An interesting lyrical take on the theme, but sonically I hate this song.
Wayne: Very honest lyrics and a raw account of the life the singer led - and who amongst us cannot relate to the lyrics "my life is just an old routine, everyday the same damn thing"? I preferred the song more when the instrumental was a bit louder during the choruses but love the vocal delivery and I thought the lyrics were lyrics we could at all at some stage associate with. I am also weak for any good guitar solo and the one at the end of this was fabulous. I also thought the song linked reasonably well to the theme.
Jazmine Sullivan - If You Dare - flopho

leomedar: Deep voice, good track, cool effort.
JSparksFan: Bouncy! I love the 'dare to be great' message, too.
urbanmusik: Without a doubt the standout selection of this round. Jazmine manages to inspire without resorting to tired metaphors, empty cliches or overwrought balladry. Jazmine assures the listener that the world is theirs over a bouncy piano riff and handclaps in this ode to living good. Vocally I get shades of VV Brown on this track, which makes overcoming something sound like it can almost be fun.
Wayne: I find the song to be a teeny bit annoying if I'm being perfectly honest but I suppose it links well to the theme and it's not a bad song as such, it's just not something I'll revisit anytime soon
Natalie Merchant - Wonder - Carbon

leomedar: Nice, she has many great songs, this is not amongst her best but good enough-
JSparksFan: Pleasant listen. There's nothing extraordinary here, but it's good from start to finish.
urbanmusik: Interesting story behind the song and the book/film it resulted in. Despite the intriguing lyrical topic I found the song uninteresting, sounding a lot like other 90s AC pop/rock tracks that have been entered in this game.
Wayne: powerful and positive message, wonderfully captured by that fabulous video. There's a really lovely lyric in the song that sticks in your brain that I've been singing since I heard the song: "People see me; I’m a challenge to your balance. I’m over your heads; how I confound you and astound you to know I must be one of the wonders of god’s own creation" - amazing lyrics and a really lovely vocal. Along with the 'babes, my favourite of the round
Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Get Over You - SilentDream

leomedar: Good, not my cup of tea but good.
JSparksFan: Catchy electro-pop chorus.
urbanmusik: It's nice to listen to something that isn't trying to be heavy or deep after hearing most of the songs this round. A fun piece of throwback pop about coming out on top after the power struggles of an exhausting relationship.
Wayne: the lyrics are quite basic but I absolutely love the song, her voice is so unique and I love the video. Definite link to the theme, it feels like it's more a case of empowering an already strong willed woman rather than a woman fighting from under.
Sugababes - Stronger - Thriller

leomedar: I always dislike them, today for some reason I find this really good.
JSparksFan: Great vocal harmony here. Their voices are more impressive than the song itself.
urbanmusik: Peak Sugababes. Mutya, Keisha and Heidi tackle the realities of adulthood as they talk about moving away and coming to terms with being alone in this sweeping orchestral ballad. The Massive Attack influence is clear in this trip-hop inspired track, serving as a nice contrast to the girls sweet harmonies. Keisha's ad-libs during the final chorus serve as the tracks highlight, despite Heidi's best efforts.
Wayne: probably in my top 5 favourite 'babes songs, their harmonies were EVERYTHING and they each added their own value to the song: Mutya and Keisha both providing distinctively powerful vocals with Heidi providing a soft and buttery delivery that really elevates the chorus. Incredible link to the theme as well.

For the most part, a really well scored round with 5 songs scoring 75% or more points. And what a turnaround for Thriller - going from second to last in R8 to top of the table in R9! And for the first time! And with a huge points score (averaging 9.0 points per judge)! Trailing Thriller at #2 is flopho who scores his best position since R3 (when he came top of the table with the best score we've seen in the entire game thus far).

Unfortunately, we do have to say goodbye to someone - and that someone was Spartan who scored miserably with two of the judges! You've been a great contestant Pete - here's your best bits!

R10 theme tonight! (maybe)
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:19 pm

YASSSSSS! I spent half an hour searching for a song and the second I landed on Stronger I just knew it was the one.

Awww so long Pete, trust you to pick a musicals tune and balls it up!
Thriller

Postby Spartan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Damn you all to hell. I know I’ve said it for the last four rounds, but I knew I wasn’t safe this round.

Thanks for being an adequate host Wayne.
Spartan
Legend

Postby sonia85 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:26 pm

I had big problems with searching song on theme. So I chosed well known song
sonia85
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:39 pm

This is the second consecutive round that a song I really like sacks a competitor. Bleh. Thanks for playing and selecting some quality songs, Pete!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Gravity » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:46 pm

It's so funny that JSparksFan thinks the connection to the theme is too light with Bravebird while Wayne thinks it's strong :lol:
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby trebor » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:05 am

Wayne wrote:R10 theme tonight! (maybe)

//

Hanging by a thread again! Happy to be the one with the most 2.0 and 3.0 punches! 8-)
Can't at contestants entering Christina Aguilera and Sugababes (and get away with it); was expecting someone to submit Kelly Clarkson, to be quite honest. Just a thought; no personal attack to anyone or judgement.
Surprised it hit @Spartan this time. Sorry to see you go, mate. Your entry was bold but actually really good and stood out from the pack...
@Wayne: Your comments are very thorough and well thought-out. Enjoyed reading them all. :D
trebor
Legend

Postby sonia85 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:43 am

^trebor I was sure that I will out last round :lol:
sonia85
Manager

Postby Wayne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:54 am

UKMIX20 - R10

We continue with our #UKMIX20 theme and we reach the year 2005 - one of the biggest years for pop culture stories of the decade. Among the (many) many things that happened:

* Tom Cruise jumped on Oprah's couch, professing his love for Katie Holmes.
* Brad Pitt left Jennifer Aniston for Angelia Jolie and brand Brangelina was born.
* Two big celebrity marriages occurred as Ashton Kutcher married Demi Moore and Heidi Klum married Seal.
* Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans and left in its wake a level of devastation that the city has yet to recover from.
* Clint Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby won the Best Picture Oscar.
* Mariah Carey spent 14 weeks at #1 with We Belong Together, the #1 single of the year in the US.
* YouTube was founded (today, it is the #3 website in the world).
* And a TV show premiered that centered on medicine and would go onto revolutionise US TV forever - Grey's Anatomy.

And that my dears is your theme.

Your theme for R10 is ANATOMY - select a song that has either a strong link to the body or a specific bodily part OR a strong link to a physical activity that requires your body (i.e. climbing, running, swimming).

ACTION: Collectors, you have 24 hours to PM me your ONE chosen song - this will be a single elimination round.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:26 pm

5 songs in thus far!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:08 pm

I don't know how I feel about my selection... but I'm gonna stick with it.
Thriller

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:46 am

I'm back. Sorry I missed the last round. Thanks for covering me, Wayne :D

The irony of Spartan being eliminated the round I am absent tho.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:15 am

cheapthrills wrote:The irony of Spartan being eliminated the round I am absent tho.
How would you have scored him? :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Spartan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:14 am

Wayne wrote:
cheapthrills wrote:The irony of Spartan being eliminated the round I am absent tho.
How would you have scored him? :lol:
Probably a 0.5/10. I preferred you as a judge. :lol:
Spartan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Actually, I loved that movie and that soundtrack - one of the songs from it even made my personal chart. And that was a stellar scene making this all the more appropriate. I don't know what to think regarding the low scores.

Normally, I think I would have scored it higher than Wayne, probably 9 or 10, but since it is Spartan's pick, I'd give it a 0.5/10. ;)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:08 pm

See, I think it’d probably feel much greater if I’d seen the movie.

Still, a score of 7 I think is fine - a 9 and even a 10 instead wouldn’t change the outcome. :P
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Carbon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:13 pm

I know I say/think this every time, but this might be the end for me.
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby Wayne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:15 am

I've sent the judges the songs, hope to have the results for you on Friday!

1 or 2 odd choices, I have to say. :lol: But all good songs nonetheless!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Wow, I expected a few songs about the heart, but not a one!

The bad news is no one selected this song for the anatomy topic... :cry:

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:45 pm

Nobody sent My Heart Will Go On. :cry:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:56 pm

Wayne wrote:Nobody sent My Heart Will Go On. :cry:
Awww. Maybe if you had been guest judging this round.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Return to Games