The Pokémon Discussion Thread (incl. Pokémon GO!)

Moderator: menime123

Postby Spartan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:12 pm

I’ll fall into the second category. Never been near a legendary.
Spartan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:45 pm

Spartan wrote:I’ll fall into the second category. Never been near a legendary.
That's a bit of a shame, it's quite fun getting together with people and taking down legendaries. I am in a new country and it has lead me to meet quite a few different people just coming together fighting legendaries.

But you can enjoy everything else. There are plenty of great pokes that are not legendary. I can do a post on that another time :lol:
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:45 pm

DnBLover wrote:Ok, my take on Rare Candy. Please try to follow.

As a rule of thumb, use it only on Legendaries. For a number of reasons, namely:
- they are hard to get
- most won't be returning so you won't get other chances of getting candy
- they're overpowered
- you have to walk 20 km for 1 candy.

Obviously, this depends on how you play, if you manage to raid and get bosses and if you like playing with Legendaries, but truth is, they make life (much) easier.

Rayquaza has the highest neutral DPS out of any pokes. You can basically solo almost everything (Tier 3) just with a team of maxed out Rayquazas (some people have it), including the mighty Jolteon. Although a great Dragonite is bulkier and can do much of the same, with less power. So I wouldn't recommend investing if you already have a Dragon squad.

Mewtwo is second on that list and Confusion/PsychoCut+Shadow Ball is the MVP in a number of matchups. Gengar, Alakazam, Machamp, Claydol, Jynx all kneel to King Mewtwo. He's the best against them all (just behind Kyogre on Claydoll). Then, he is a fantastic generalist and Focus Blast Mewtwo swipes through gyms with Blissey, Chansey, Snorlax and Tyranitar. He's that good. And he's Mewtwo. Safe investment and recommended.

Raikou is the most overpowered electric type with a fantastic moveset that allows you to hit hard and dodge with ease by using Thundershock+WildCharge. Zapdos follows closely behind with a worse moveset. They will be the overall best counters against the Lati-twins. I recommend Raikou.

Kyogre is the best water type out of all generations to come, this thing is a beast and a single waterfall hits like a freaking truck. Essential if you want to solo Claydol. Did you read the first sentence? Yeah, you won't get a better water type. Against Groudon, he matches a maxed L40 Gyarados at level 24. Yup, safe investment.

Groudon is crippled by ground's poor attacks but Solar Beam alone made him the top counter versus Kyogre with thunder. And if you have a team of Groudons, you can basically solo Jolteon while in your sleep. Not my priority as I have a Rhydon squad, but my weather boosted ones serve me good.

Then you have both fantastic fire types Moltres and Entei, which are left behind just because fire is not meta-relevant at the moment. They will be very useful for Registeel and Regirock and are fantastic counters to Jynx, one of them may be a good idea. If not, Flareon is awesome (just don't spend any rare candy on it!)

Lugia can solo Machamp on its own. And Sky Attack just got boosted, which means he can even do weather boosted Machamp now. 1vs1, no revives wasted... Also he's the most potion-efficient gym sweeper of the game. He makes life easier, I love my Lugia.
Ho-Oh is powerful but basically has shit moveset so I wouldn't touch him without any change.

Suicune is awesome outside of Pogo, Niantic just slaughtered him.

Bottom line: legendaries take your team to the next level, and they are the safest dump for your rare candies. Don't spend them on anything you can walk.
If you don't like Legendaries or can't catch them, think about saving the candy or using it on rare pokes you can't find any other way. Other great investments are obviously Chansey, Ralts (great attacker and Defender), Feebas (milotic is awesome and a brilliant defender), Beldum and other 5km-walking pokes. I wouldn't recommend using it on starters as you can just walk them and they nest, which means that if you go to certain places (check Silph Road) you can probably get all your candies in one afternoon.

So:
1st Legendaries
----
----
2nd Non-nesting Rare 5-km walking Pokes
3rd Your fave poke just because you love it and yolo
Thank you :D

I love my Kyogre - I’m only on level 34 but he’s maxed out as much as I can get him and has Waterfall and Hydro Pump.

I have:

Kyogres x 6
Lugia x 2
Mewtwo x 1
Rayquaza x 3
Groudon x 1

I suppose I should sort out my Mewtwo next?
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Spartan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:07 pm

I finally hatched another Bagon to get my Salamence.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Spartan wrote:I finally hatched another Bagon to get my Salamence.
I’ve only ever caught 2 :x
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:27 am

phoenix98 wrote:
SummerPeur wrote:Haven't had a chance to play platinum too much - however I'll give an update tonight for anyone interested! :D
Yes, PLZ! Any Badges? Who's been deemed team-worthy alongside Turtwig? Is it bringing back all the same good feels you got playing the older games, or not so much?
It's a different kind of feeling haha - I wouldn't say its giving me the exact same amount of excitement as I experienced with the first couple, but I mean that was the introduction so it will always hold a special meaning.

Spoiler:
Oh my god!!!!!! That trainer had a Chansey!!!!!

So; I just had a spare min to check out how I was doing:

Badges: 2 (Just defeated the second gym)

Pokemon

1. Grotle (Male) - Impish Nature (Lvl 25)
2. Luxio (Female) - Careful Nature (Lvl 25)
3. Drifloon (Female) - Relaxed Nature (Lvl 24)
4. Budew (Female) - Serious Nature (Lvl 25)
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby phoenix98 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:40 pm

SummerPeur wrote:It's a different kind of feeling haha - I wouldn't say its giving me the exact same amount of excitement as I experienced with the first couple, but I mean that was the introduction so it will always hold a special meaning.
Makes sense - there's always a special significance to whichever games made you fall in love with the franchise in the first place <3 Ha, I'd totally forgotten about Cheryl using a Chansey when she tags along with you in Eterna Forest :lol: Another reason you definitely picked the right game to check out! I'm a big fan of both the Shinx and Budew lines, so I'm glad to see you were drawn to those too!

For some GO news:

It’s time to get cracking on a special Egg event! The Pokémon GO Eggstravaganza is coming back on March 22 at 1:00 p.m. PDT, and this time you’ll have even more chances to hatch certain Pokémon!

This year, an even greater variety of Pokémon will be found in 2 km Eggs, and only those Eggs will be available from PokéStops throughout the event! This means that Pokémon that normally hatch from 5 km or 10 km Eggs, such as Wynaut or Ralts, will be found in 2 km Eggs until the event ends on April 2 at 1:00 p.m. PDT. There will also be an increased hatch rate of certain Pokémon, such as Pichu and Togepi.

Your eggs-traordinary efforts will bring rewards! Every Egg hatched during the event will also include bonus Candy to help you power up your newly hatched Pokémon. Additionally, double Stardust is available throughout the event.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Spartan » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Excellent! I’m in London this weekend so am prepped for lots of walking.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:14 pm

And on Friday Detective Pikachu is out :D
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby SummerPeur » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:47 pm

phoenix98 wrote:
SummerPeur wrote:It's a different kind of feeling haha - I wouldn't say its giving me the exact same amount of excitement as I experienced with the first couple, but I mean that was the introduction so it will always hold a special meaning.
Makes sense - there's always a special significance to whichever games made you fall in love with the franchise in the first place <3 Ha, I'd totally forgotten about Cheryl using a Chansey when she tags along with you in Eterna Forest :lol: Another reason you definitely picked the right game to check out! I'm a big fan of both the Shinx and Budew lines, so I'm glad to see you were drawn to those too!
Hahaha yes! It was a complete surprise (and also a great way to lvl up Pokemon) as Chansey healed them everytime. Surprised she didn't use it in her battle though....

Disclaimer: I'm one of those people that don't look up evolution lines prior)

I'm excited to see what Budew evolves into!!!! I mean it's almost level 26 and it hasn't evolved yet and I'm like.....sis :lol: you got to have an evolution and it surely will happen soon. I see those rose buds protruding out :lol:. I have a fairly good idea what it does based on some of the gym battles.

Yes!!!! Shix was so cute I couldn't not have it! I'm excited to see if it evolves again as it doesn't look 'complete' yet if that makes any sense at all.

+ You didn't mention Drifloon!!! I saw it randomly standing outside a building and I was like what?! :lol: . But I think its absolutely adorable, and it's quite strong (well to me it is). I hope it evolves 8-)

I am actually finding myself quite excited to keep playing. I know what my #5 slot will be (Chansey), keen to find out what I'll have as my 6th :D
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Kylie Overseer

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:00 am

SummerPeur wrote:Disclaimer: I'm one of those people that don't look up evolution lines prior)
Ah, that's awesome! I have TERRIBLE self-control when it comes to checking out spoilers :lol: I kind of got the sense that you're going in "blind" when you mentioned how you hope that Turtwig evolves into something like Venusaur, so hopefully I haven't said too much already!

SummerPeur wrote:+ You didn't mention Drifloon!!! I saw it randomly standing outside a building and I was like what?! :lol: . But I think its absolutely adorable, and it's quite strong (well to me it is). I hope it evolves 8-)
Ha, you caught me there :oops: I don't mind it - just no strong feelings one way or the other. I know this is kind of a cliché among fans, but I'm usually less endeared toward the inanimate-object Pokémon (as opposed to the more animal-like or humanoid ones.) Drifloon's lore/Pokédex entries are pretty brilliant, though (this cute, unassuming little ghost-balloon that floats kids off to their death...) :o

SummerPeur wrote:I am actually finding myself quite excited to keep playing. I know what my #5 slot will be (Chansey), keen to find out what I'll have as my 6th :D
Sounds like the perfect sign of success, then 8-) I'm (obviously) a little biased in favor of this franchise - so don't let my fanboyism keep you from unleashing any critiques - but I'm really glad to hear the games can still work their magic for you (so far, at least!)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:05 am

We all ready for community day?
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby Erotica » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:59 am

Detective Pikachu is really cute, I started it yesterday :D
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I wasn’t really too bothered by this event. I didn’t even try to catch anything. I’m enjoying the 2k eggs though, I’ve had some good ones. There was a glitch on Friday night were all my eggs hatched despite having mileage left on them, so I was happy. Finally caught an elusive Wingull as well.
Spartan
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:55 pm

I ran out of balls and it was way too cold for me to properly enjoy this.
Still, I managed to hatch 6x10km eggs which gave me a ton of XP, candy and stardust as I activated my lucky egg and starpiece. Got 2 bagons which were enough to go from 12 candy to 129! Then it was Trapinch, Dratini, Larvitar and Skarmory *sighs*.

From the event I got 3 new venusaurs all high level (30-34) and all the the second best move in the game. I caught 3 shinies but all were shmuck so I didn't evolve yet.
DnBLover
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:20 pm

Managed to snag four shinies - but none with great appraisals (even though three were caught while it was sunny.) The triple catch XP really added up fast, which was much appreciated! :D

The Eggstravaganza has definitely made 2k hatches exciting again (especially with the chance for shiny Magby, Togepi, and Wynaut), in addition to all the double Stardust, so it was great to have these events overlapping for a while.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:10 am

The event didnt actually excite me at all - my first catch was a shiny, so I caught a few bulbasaurs with pinap berries and was done by 10:30 :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:11 am

When do we think gen IV will drop? Around July at anniversary time?
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:40 am

menime123 wrote:When do we think gen IV will drop? Around July at anniversary time?
I'd love that! I don't expect it, though :( There's still 5 more Gen III Legendaries to cycle through (Mythicals aside) and a handful of regular Pokémon left (some might get the Smeargle treatment, but I don't think all, especially with Spinda spotted in the code recently.) Based on Lugia's recent re-appearance, they might cycle through more old Legendaries again (with shiny options added) before even getting to the Regi's and Lati's.

• We got the first sample of Gen II in December 2016, with the majority released in February 2017
• We got the first sample of Gen III in October 2017, with batches added sporadically through February 2018

I'd say Sept-Oct at the soonest, but **fingers crossed** I'll be wrong!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:40 pm

The "Quests" found in the GO code a while back have been officially announced as "Research":

A series of mysterious happenings is occurring all over the world, and Professor Willow is seeking Trainers to help him find out if this is connected to the Mythical Pokémon Mew. These research tasks will become available to Trainers around the world later this week!

There are two different types of research you can contribute to: Field Research and Special Research. Gather Field Research tasks by spinning nearby PokéStops, which will give you objectives that include discovering and catching certain Pokémon or engaging with battles, among other things. Special Research may be requested by Professor Willow himself, and will take you on a journey to make important discoveries!

Both types of research offer great rewards, including a variety of useful items and even encounters with certain Pokémon! You can complete as many research tasks as you want every day, leading to a full day of adventures. These tasks also have different levels of difficulty, so the more challenging a research task is, the greater the reward waiting for you.

You can earn one Stamp per day by completing at least one Field Research task, and when you obtain seven stamps, you can achieve a Research Breakthrough to receive even greater rewards! You may even have an encounter with a Legendary Pokémon!

Fans of Prof Willow should especially enjoy those "special research tasks"... ;)
phoenix98
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:54 pm

Well these sound exciting :D
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:58 pm

Has anyone started questing?
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:11 pm

DnBLover wrote:Has anyone started questing?
I want to. I just don’t have the time at the moment. :lol:
Spartan
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:12 pm

Just a little with the catching pokemon and spinning pokestops, I think it's a great idea as it gives something to actually do on it, other than randomly encountering pokemon.

The other thing today was the arrival of Sun & Moon sprites in the pokedex and nearby sections, which I thought was pretty fun until I noticed that my Pikachu's with special hats are no longer showing with hats in my pokemon bag.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:41 pm

DnBLover wrote:Has anyone started questing?
I'm slowly-but-surely working my way through the Special Research Mythical Discovery (3/8), and I've tackled a bunch of the Field Research tasks. I'm enjoying it! For those who often lose interest because of all the monotony, it offers a variety of specific little goals to achieve, and the rewards make for extra incentive to keep playing. For those who play regularly anyway, it means bonuses for what you were already doing.

Some of the Field Research rewards are surprisingly generous for tasks that are quick to complete (like 1,000 Stardust or a Rare Candy). I like that you can just immediately delete the ones that don't appeal to/work for you :lol: It seems designed with accessibility for solo players in mind (as far as I've seen, anyway. I haven't looked up the rest of the Special Research tasks for Mew.)
phoenix98
Legend

Return to Internet & Technology