Paulboard Top 30 | 12.07.18 | it hurts to be awake...

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:54 pm

Hey Paul :D

01 (NE) 01 | "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (1)

Listening to this now for the first time. It's pleasant enough but it lacks that special something that would make me want to listen to this song again (and again etc...). It's not bad but doesn't leave me wanting more. :(

02 (NE) 01 | "Paradise" - George Ezra | 2 (1)

Ahh now Paradise is amazing. Granted this has grown on me over the last few weeks but even when i first heard this, there was something about the track that drew me in and wanting to go back and listen again. It's now quite comfortably George's most successful single in my chart. :D

04 (01) 03 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (2) | [G]

Golden is coming! 8-) I really hope this album delivers because so far it's a solid gold 3/3 for the first three tracks. Loving all of them although Raining glitter isn't guaranteed to be #1 although it's definitely in the running. As i posted in my chart yesterday the early signs show Kylie vs The Weeknd for #1 but if Calvin & Dua unleash an absolute beast this Friday that could impact hard enough to get that 24 hour #1 insta-hit. :P It really could go one of three ways. The chart battle is on. :wink: Stop me from falling will no doubt get another week in the top 10 but its safe to say it won't be top 5 on Saturday.

Ohh i do love a good exclusive! :lol:

Golden has 16 tracks so it's gonna be intriguing to see if all of them impact enough to make my top 20. :o Adele managed that feat but 25 only had 11 tracks by comparison so made the feat that little bit easier. :lol: Even Niall Horan didn't get his entire album into my top 20. :P

05 (12) 02 | "YES" - Louisa ft. 2 Chainz | 5

Wow, impressive seeing Louisa climbing. After entering at #12 i thought that would be its peak. In an ideal world YES would be smashing on the charts but...the "s" word. :evil:

22 (NE) 01 | "Lost In Japan" - Shawn Mendes | 22

Two new Shawn Mendes tracks get released and to be honest, i was underwhelmed by both of them. Maybe it's because i just don't see Shawn as a "rock" singer so hearing him trying adult contemporary music is leaving me unconvinced at where he's heading. I prefer In my blood but with a #19 entry in my chart, he's gone backwards imo back to my passive reactions to his earlier hits. There's nothing holdin' me back remains by far his biggest hit for me, and right now i can't see that changing anytime soon.

Also love these two:

12 (19) 04 | "No Excuses" - Meghan Trainor | 4 | [G]
17 (23) 05 | "Make Me Feel" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [G]

So much CHVRCHES :o I've never really been that keen on them for some reason. Heard a couple of songs but they didn't really make much impact on me. :oops:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:15 pm

JakeP wrote:Hey Paul :D
Hey Jake :D

(I'll save the more creative greetings for your thread) :lol:

JakeP wrote:Listening to this now for the first time. It's pleasant enough but it lacks that special something that would make me want to listen to this song again (and again etc...). It's not bad but doesn't leave me wanting more. :(
Thanks for giving "High Horse" a chance! I'll take an unmemorable first impression over an unlistenable one, at least :lol: The timing of this release is pretty funny, with Kacey going dancey just as Kylie's gone country.

JakeP wrote:Ahh now Paradise is amazing. Granted this has grown on me over the last few weeks but even when i first heard this, there was something about the track that drew me in and wanting to go back and listen again. It's now quite comfortably George's most successful single in my chart. :D
Same here! Well, it's instantly become his highest-peaking entry, but I suspect it'll also last longer than "Budapest" managed. I might never have bothered checking out "Paradise" if it wasn't doing so well on your chart, so I owe you for that!

"Budapest" = *14* - 23 - OUT - 23 - 27 - OUT

JakeP wrote:Golden is coming! 8-) I really hope this album delivers because so far it's a solid gold 3/3 for the first three tracks. Loving all of them although Raining glitter isn't guaranteed to be #1 although it's definitely in the running. As i posted in my chart yesterday the early signs show Kylie vs The Weeknd for #1 but if Calvin & Dua unleash an absolute beast this Friday that could impact hard enough to get that 24 hour #1 insta-hit. :P It really could go one of three ways. The chart battle is on. :wink: Stop me from falling will no doubt get another week in the top 10 but its safe to say it won't be top 5 on Saturday.
:o The suspense is REAL! Thanks for giving me a lil taste of what's to come! The big reveal is only a few (well, a handful, maybe?) of hours away now...

JakeP wrote:Golden has 16 tracks so it's gonna be intriguing to see if all of them impact enough to make my top 20. :o Adele managed that feat but 25 only had 11 tracks by comparison so made the feat that little bit easier. :lol: Even Niall Horan didn't get his entire album into my top 20. :P
I don't want to set my hopes too high, but it would obviously be incredible to see Kylie match Adele's feat of having her ENTIRE album enter your chart! Does Lana hold the record for most tracks from an album on one chart? Could Kylie snag BOTH honors...? :o :o :o

JakeP wrote:[Wow, impressive seeing Louisa climbing. After entering at #12 i thought that would be its peak. In an ideal world YES would be smashing on the charts but...the "s" word. :evil:
:lol: Ha, yeah, "YES" got to enjoy the relatively-rare second-week-climb here...but I'm pretty positive No. 5 will be its final peak. SUCH injustice that it's only No. 90 on the latest UK chart (after a No. 65 peak) :o It's frustrating how interest in X Factor winners sometimes vanishes as soon as their series ends (not that it was much better with most American Idol victors), but at least she's managed to rack up more Top 100 hits than the likes of Sam Bailey, Ben Haenow, Matt Terry, etc.

JakeP wrote:Two new Shawn Mendes tracks get released and to be honest, i was underwhelmed by both of them. Maybe it's because i just don't see Shawn as a "rock" singer so hearing him trying adult contemporary music is leaving me unconvinced at where he's heading. I prefer In my blood but with a #19 entry in my chart, he's gone backwards imo back to my passive reactions to his earlier hits. There's nothing holdin' me back remains by far his biggest hit for me, and right now i can't see that changing anytime soon.
Glad I'm not alone there :lol: Ditto for "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" too!

"There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" = 10 - 14 - *8* - 10 - 22 - 27 - OUT - 25 - 17 - OUT

Shawn's reached higher peaks here, but it's by FAR his best longevity, since none of his other entries lingered for more than two weeks total. :lol:

JakeP wrote:So much CHVRCHES :o I've never really been that keen on them for some reason. Heard a couple of songs but they didn't really make much impact on me. :oops:
Aw, hopefully something from them can catch your ear someday! Maybe someone just hasn't pointed you toward their best offerings yet? It's funny - a friend from UKMIX actually recommended a few of their tracks to me a couple years ago, but he also introduced me to Grimes at the very same time, and she/her Art Angels album completely stole my attention :lol: It wasn't until a month or so ago that I decided to give CHVRCHES's "Get Out" a listen, and I was hooked! Although I hate the effect that it's had on official charts, streaming did make it really convenient for me to delve into their catalog and explore their first two albums in anticipation of Love Is Dead dropping next month.

Thanks again, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Happy to see Kacey at #1! I thoroughly enjoyed that album so I think it is well deserved. I still haven't gotten around to checking out 'Stop Me From Falling' - but considering it has hit number one here I might have to. I enjoyed 'YES' by Louisa, it reached #13 on my chart.

Great to be back reading your chart and I'm looking forward to the next one!
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:30 pm

bluecherry wrote:Happy to see Kacey at #1! I thoroughly enjoyed that album so I think it is well deserved. I still haven't gotten around to checking out 'Stop Me From Falling' - but considering it has hit number one here I might have to. I enjoyed 'YES' by Louisa, it reached #13 on my chart.

Great to be back reading your chart and I'm looking forward to the next one!
Golden Hour is definitely on my "To Do" list, especially now that you've given it a glowing review! Last week my attention was focused on Hayley's Expectations, and now it's all about Kylie's Golden, but Kacey's time soon come soon. As much as I adored "Follow Your Arrow" and "Biscuits," I've never actually delved into a full album of hers :oops: (Yet!)

Thanks again, blue! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 04/06/18

• CHVRCHES have their prayers answered, as "Never Say Die" becomes their second No. 1, following "Get Out" last month.

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (NE) 01 | "Never Say Die" - CHVRCHES | 1 (1)
02 (01) 02 | "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (1) | [G]
03 (NE) 01 | "Chasing Fire" - Lauv | 3
04 (03) 02 | "The Mother We Share" - CHVRCHES | 3
05 (NE) 01 | "Raining Glitter" - Kylie Minogue | 5
06 (04) 04 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (2) | [P]
07 (14) 05 | "Leave A Trace" - CHVRCHES | 2 (1) | [G]
08 (02) 02 | "Paradise" - George Ezra | 2 (1)
09 (NE) 01 | "Mercy/Gatekeeper" - Hayley Kiyoko | 9
10 (05) 03 | "YES" - Louisa ft. 2 Chainz | 5
11 (NE) 01 | "He'll Never Love You (HNLY)" - Hayley Kiyoko | 11
12 (NE) 01 | "Better With You" - Jesse McCartney | 12
13 (RE) 11 | "Biscuits" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (1) | [P]
14 (NE) 01 | "What I Need" - Hayley Kiyoko ft. Kehlani | 14
15 (RE) 10 | "Dancing" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [P]
16 (NE) 01 | "Sleepover" - Hayley Kiyoko | 16
17 (NE) 01 | "Wanna Be Missed" - Hayley Kiyoko | 17
18 (06) 08 | "Curious" - Hayley Kiyoko | 1 (2) | [P]
19 (RE) 03 | "Feelings" - Hayley Kiyoko | 14
20 (NE) 01 | "Expectations/Overture" - Hayley Kiyoko | 20
21 (07) 02 | "Strong Hand" - CHVRCHES | 7
22 (10) 07 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]
23 (20) 04 | "Roller Skates" - Samantha Jade | 2 (1) | [G]
24 (NE) 01 | "Change" - Charlie Puth ft. James Taylor | 24
25 (RE) 30 | "Follow Your Arrow" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (2) | [4xP]
26 (NE) 01 | "Under The Blue/Take Me In" - Hayley Kiyoko | 26
27 (NE) 01 | "Molecules" - Hayley Kiyoko | 27
28 (NE) 01 | "Palm Dreams" - Hayley Kiyoko | 28
29 (12) 05 | "No Excuses" - Meghan Trainor | 4 | [G]
30 (RE) 08 | "Easy Love" - Lauv | 11 | [G]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:28 pm

phoenix98 wrote:02 (01) 02 | "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (NE) 01 | "Raining Glitter" - Kylie Minogue | 5
06 (04) 04 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (2) | [P]
08 (02) 02 | "Paradise" - George Ezra | 2 (1)
09 (NE) 01 | "Mercy/Gatekeeper" - Hayley Kiyoko | 9
10 (05) 03 | "YES" - Louisa ft. 2 Chainz | 5
11 (NE) 01 | "He'll Never Love You (HNLY)" - Hayley Kiyoko | 11
14 (NE) 01 | "What I Need" - Hayley Kiyoko ft. Kehlani | 14
15 (RE) 10 | "Dancing" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [P]
16 (NE) 01 | "Sleepover" - Hayley Kiyoko | 16
17 (NE) 01 | "Wanna Be Missed" - Hayley Kiyoko | 17
18 (06) 08 | "Curious" - Hayley Kiyoko | 1 (2) | [P]
19 (RE) 03 | "Feelings" - Hayley Kiyoko | 14
20 (NE) 01 | "Expectations/Overture" - Hayley Kiyoko | 20
22 (10) 07 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]
26 (NE) 01 | "Under The Blue/Take Me In" - Hayley Kiyoko | 26
27 (NE) 01 | "Molecules" - Hayley Kiyoko | 27
28 (NE) 01 | "Palm Dreams" - Hayley Kiyoko | 28
29 (12) 05 | "No Excuses" - Meghan Trainor | 4 | [G]
"Golden Hour" is such a nice surprise for me... i never checked Kacey out previously but due to all the 'hype' around her i thought i need to check it out and i'm really liking it. "High Horse" is definitely my favorite song on the whole record, so i love to see it smashing on your charts! Kinda impressive it's already certified after just two weeks!

What an impressive album release effect for Hayley Kiyoko :o I checked this out pretty randomly due to her high iTunes positions, and it's a nice album. I could live without the double tracks though. Don't get why one would do that... better putting two tracks seperately on the album instead of two in one... or at least just once, like Ariana did, but not multiple times.

And speaking of new albums, Kylie's new one is great! Definitely better than "Kiss Me Once". I still have to find my favorite ones but "Raining Glitter" is definitely a good track :)

LOVE to see "YES" being in the Top10, slightly shocked with the drop for "Alone" and kinda surprised to see "No Excuses" being Gold after just five weeks with a #4 peak :o

Great week overall :D
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Tansike wrote:"Golden Hour" is such a nice surprise for me... i never checked Kacey out previously but due to all the 'hype' around her i thought i need to check it out and i'm really liking it. "High Horse" is definitely my favorite song on the whole record, so i love to see it smashing on your charts! Kinda impressive it's already certified after just two weeks!
I'm really excited/encouraged by all the positive responses I've seen to Golden Hour around here :D Although I've adored some of Kacey's other songs (especially "Follow Your Arrow" and "Biscuits"), I've never explored any of her albums in full, and it sounds like Golden Hour might be the perfect place to start!

"High Horse" enjoyed a really steady first two weeks in terms of plays, racking up 12 and then 14 (which put it just over the threshold for Gold already.)

Tansike wrote:What an impressive album release effect for Hayley Kiyoko :o I checked this out pretty randomly due to her high iTunes positions, and it's a nice album. I could live without the double tracks though. Don't get why one would do that... better putting two tracks seperately on the album instead of two in one... or at least just once, like Ariana did, but not multiple times.
It's especially unnecessary with "Expectations/Overture," since that track’s less than two minutes long and doesn’t even have any lyrics :lol: I think it actually works with "Mercy/Gatekeeper," though, since she incorporates "Mercy" back in again toward the end of the track (instead of "Mercy" just abruptly ending halfway through and turning into "Gatekeeper" for the rest of the runtime). It doesn't feel like two half-finished songs just slapped together in the middle. Granted, I also think it's one of the catchiest tracks on the album, so I'm more forgiving for that reason too. ;)

Tansike wrote:And speaking of new albums, Kylie's new one is great! Definitely better than "Kiss Me Once". I still have to find my favorite ones but "Raining Glitter" is definitely a good track :)
Poor KMO seems to be nearly universally panned by fans :oops: I'm actually pretty fond of it, though, so I'd probably rank it above Golden overall...but I'm still really enjoying Golden too! I'll be sure to keep asking you about which other tracks emerge as your favorites... ;)

Tansike wrote:LOVE to see "YES" being in the Top10, slightly shocked with the drop for "Alone" and kinda surprised to see "No Excuses" being Gold after just five weeks with a #4 peak :o
Ha, yeah, I still love "Alone" <3 but with Apple Music-fueled turnover, even the biggest hits on my chart only last around 7 weeks total now :lol: Just looking at songs that debuted in 2018, only Kylie's "Dancing" (10 weeks) and Hayley's "Curious" (8 weeks) have lasted longer (so far…)

"No Excuses" benefitted from a strong first week (12 plays) - but competition at the time meant that was only enough for a No. 4 debut.

Thanks again, Tansike! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 04/13/18

• Fueled by album release hype, Kylie's "Stop Me From Falling" rebounds to become the first three-week-No. 1 of 2018. Meanwhile, CHVRCHES face the steepest fall from No. 1 since Olly Murs's "Unpredictable" tumbled straight to No. 16 last July.

01 (06) 05 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [P]
02 (NE) 01 | "Every Little Part Of Me" - Kylie Minogue | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Love" - Kylie Minogue | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Sincerely Yours" - Kylie Minogue| 4
05 (NE) 01 | "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" - Paloma Faith | 5
06 (14) 02 | "What I Need" - Hayley Kiyoko ft. Kehlani | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "One Kiss" - Calvin Harris ft. Dua Lipa | 7
08 (05) 02 | "Raining Glitter" - Kylie Minogue | 5
09 (NE) 01 | "What Is Love?" - TWICE | 9
10 (NE) 01 | "Rollin'" - Kylie Minogue | 10
11 (NE) 01 | "Shelby '68" - Kylie Minogue | 11
12 (NE) 01 | "Golden" - Kylie Minogue | 12
13 (NE) 01 | "A Lifetime To Repair" - Kylie Minogue | 13
14 (02) 03 | "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (1) | [G]
15 (01) 02 | "Never Say Die" - CHVRCHES | 1 (1)
16 (NE) 01 | "Radio On" - Kylie Minogue | 16
17 (NE) 01 | "Lost Without You" - Kylie Minogue | 17
18 (NE) 01 | "One Last Kiss" - Kylie Minogue | 18
19 (24) 02 | "Change" - Charlie Puth ft. James Taylor | 19
20 (NE) 01 | "Pynk" - Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 20
21 (NE) 01 | "Low Blow" - Kylie Minogue | 21
22 (12) 02 | "Better With You" - Jesse McCartney | 12
23 (16) 02 | "Sleepover" - Hayley Kiyoko | 16
24 (09) 02 | "Mercy/Gatekeeper" - Hayley Kiyoko| 9
25 (NE) 01 | "Live A Little" - Kylie Minogue | 25
26 (03) 02 | "Chasing Fire" - Lauv | 3
27 (04) 03 | "The Mother We Share" - CHVRCHES | 3
28 (11) 02 | "He'll Never Love You (HNLY)" - Hayley Kiyoko | 11
29 (21) 03 | "Strong Hand" - CHVRCHES | 7
30 (RE) 03 | "Look" - GOT7 | 3

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Hey Paul :D

02 (NE) 01 | "Every Little Part Of Me" - Kylie Minogue | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Love" - Kylie Minogue | 3
10 (NE) 01 | "Rollin'" - Kylie Minogue | 10
13 (NE) 01 | "A Lifetime To Repair" - Kylie Minogue | 13
17 (NE) 01 | "Lost Without You" - Kylie Minogue | 17
21 (NE) 01 | "Low Blow" - Kylie Minogue | 21

Fabulous darling. <3 So lovely to see that Golden domination. Curiously the two songs missing from the album (Dancing and Music's too sad without you) are more likely to appear high up my chart. :P

It's always fascinating to see how different people react to albums and get a sense of how much songs appeal different to others. Looking at the above list in that particular order, i already know for sure that my personal order of favourites is different. :wink: How different? You will find out later on tonight.[/suchatease] :lol:

Kylie aside, i'm loving the following too:

19 (24) 02 | "Change" - Charlie Puth ft. James Taylor | 19

Additional selection:

20 (NE) 01 | "Pynk" - Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 20

So i did relisten to High horse last weekend and it sounded better. Perhaps i was a bit too quick to dismiss the song but it could potentially be a future hit.

Likewise with Janelle, as you know i think Make me feel is outstanding. Pynk isn't quite at the same level but its still great. Could enter my chart next week but no chance of entering tonight.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:56 am

Unsurprising but still lovely to see Kylie doing well here. "Stop Me from Falling" is definitely in my bottom five tracks on the album, but it's still a solid 7.5/10, which reflects how good the album is. "Sincerely Yours" is a stand-out for me, too, and from the first play "One Kiss" sounded like a keeper.

I missed "High Horse" debuting at #2, but I have to say the song is a huge winner. 10 years ago, it might've had a chance to be a #1 hit, but in the 2018 landscape, if it makes the Hot 100, it'll be a miracle.

Also, yay at the re-entry for "The Mother We Share".

27 (04) 03 | "The Mother We Share" - CHVRCHES | 3

phoenix98 wrote: :o My regards to that DJ! Though it might also be ringing bells because it incorporates this older hit. Apologies if you're like "I obviously knew that. Don't insult me now." Either way, "Truth" is definitely another example of how All For You could've/should've turned into another Rhythmn Nation 1814 or janet. era singles-wise (going 8-9 deep, especially if they did some region-exclusive selections.)
Hmm...I know that song, but I'm 100% sure it was "Truth" I heard and not that one. Thanks for sharing, though! I didn't know "Truth" sampled "O-o-h Child".

phoenix98 wrote: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was noticing over in Tansike's thread how Kylie's new direction is causing really mixed reactions across the few personal charts that I check most often. Both you and Tansike seem pretty (or, in your case, REALLY) unimpressed, while Jake and I are loving it! I think she's done a really satisfying job of incorporating some country flair into songs that still have a very "Kylie" feel overall. To me it just seems like a matter of her serving up some infectious uplifting country/pop instead of some infectious uplifting dance/pop. She's done some experimentation in the past that truly hasn't clicked with me (like much of Impossible Princess, or "2 Hearts") but I've been totally sold on these samples of Golden so far!

:lol: @ the notion of any Kylie album being a "disaster," though...
I had my doubts, but you proved to be right in the end!

phoenix98 wrote:Well...just as it was starting to sorta-kinda grab my attention, it's been completely overshadowed by another Golden Hour offering :lol: That album is definitely on my "To Do" list - but I've been curious about Hayley's since falling for "Curious" back in January, so I'm focusing on hers first.
As good as Kylie's album is, Kacey's is even better!

phoenix98 wrote:Hmmm...I'm inclined to grant it higher praise than that. It's a light, breezy, bouncy, refreshing track in its own regard, but also really refreshing in the context of her lead singles (sounding unlike any that came before it.) The flirtiness, cheekiness of it all - between what she's saying in the lyrics and the vibe conveyed by the production - comes together pretty perfectly for me. Not quite Top 10 across her (epic) catalog, but Top 20 probably wouldn't be totally out-of-the-question for me. I'd have to mull that over more, but there's no doubt I've got a big soft spot for it!
The song's lyrics are quite era-specific - I'm thinking especially of the YouTube line - and not every song of Mimi's needs to be a multi-layered masterpiece, but even for what it is - a fun, carefree pop/R&B jam - it's not close to her best in that department ("Dreamlover", "Fantasy", "Honey", "It's Like That", etc.). I didn't even mean to list lead singles as examples, but look at that tasty coincidence. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:You keep it unfiltered :lol: but what's the point of being on a forum like this if you still suppress your own opinions/reactions? (Actual trolling aside, of course.) Besides, your brashness gives me opportunities to work on better managing my own overly-defensive/protective/sensitive reactions. :wink:
Fair point!
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:20 pm

Many thanks and much love for all the comments! :D

JakeP wrote:Hey Paul :D
Howdy Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:Fabulous darling. <3 So lovely to see that Golden domination. Curiously the two songs missing from the album (Dancing and Music's too sad without you) are more likely to appear high up my chart. :P
Of our many shared hits/artists, our common adoration for Kylie warms my heart the most :D I still love "Dancing," but it's been running out of enough steam lately to keep up with the steady influx of new releases (from Kylie herself and others). It holds the honor of being of my most-played-song of 2018 so far AND the longest-charting hit of 2018 at 10 weeks total. Nothing else has lasted more than 8...yet.

"Music's Too Sad Without You," however, did not make a favorable first (or second) impression :oops: It just struck me as way too...subdued, almost monotone. I'm definitely not anti-ballad, but this particular slow song just took "slow" too far for me. I've warmed up to it slightly in week 2, but it still stands out as an especially underwhelming moment on an album that leaves me pretty pleased overall.

JakeP wrote:It's always fascinating to see how different people react to albums and get a sense of how much songs appeal different to others. Looking at the above list in that particular order, i already know for sure that my personal order of favourites is different. :wink: How different? You will find out later on tonight.[/suchatease] :lol:
Tease away, Jake 8-) Tease away...

JakeP wrote:So i did relisten to High horse last weekend and it sounded better. Perhaps i was a bit too quick to dismiss the song but it could potentially be a future hit.
Ooh...I'll try not to set my hopes too high, but I love the idea of seeing "High Horse" on your chart sometime soon!

**Hooves crossed**

JakeP wrote:Likewise with Janelle, as you know i think Make me feel is outstanding. Pynk isn't quite at the same level but its still great. Could enter my chart next week but no chance of entering tonight.
Janelle's served up some serious diversity between "Django Jane," "Make Me Feel," and now "Pynk." Seeing that Grimes was involved with this one raised my hopes right away, and while it's definitely not an insta-earworm on par with "Make Me Feel," it still stuck in my brain enough to keep me coming back a few times (and even more often in week 2) ;) I'm also impressed by how much she's managed to charm me with such a vagina-focused anthem :lol: Granted, we do have plenty of pink parts too...

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:25 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Unsurprising but still lovely to see Kylie doing well here. "Stop Me from Falling" is definitely in my bottom five tracks on the album, but it's still a solid 7.5/10, which reflects how good the album is. "Sincerely Yours" is a stand-out for me, too, and from the first play "One Kiss" sounded like a keeper.
It does hurt my heart a little to hear that "Stop Me From Falling" still hasn't won you over, but I'm MUCH more relieved that the album overall didn't end up totally disappointing you :lol: Across the charts I've seen (and that poll over in the Golden pop section thread), "Sincerely Yours" seems to be one of the most well-received album tracks. It definitely has one of my favorite choruses across the entire album, especially the "you'll still see me, you'll still hear me, love you dearly, yours sincerely..." part. <3

JSparksFan wrote:I missed "High Horse" debuting at #2, but I have to say the song is a huge winner. 10 years ago, it might've had a chance to be a #1 hit, but in the 2018 landscape, if it makes the Hot 100, it'll be a miracle.
"High Horse" rode in at No. 1 here (though that chart wound up at the very bottom of the last page, so it's easy to miss), granting Kacey her third Paulboard chart-topper (after "Follow Your Arrow" and "Biscuits"). I believe that made it our second shared new No. 1 of 2018 (after "Dancing") :D You've had a few other older Paulboard No. 1's on top this year, though ("Moonlight," "Crystallize," "Diamonds," etc.)

JSparksFan wrote:Also, yay at the re-entry for "The Mother We Share".
I'm VERY late to the party with CHVRCHES, and didn't realize you were a fan! Funnily enough, Hor tried introducing me to them a couple years ago, but he shared Grimes's Art Angels at the very same time, and that completely stole my attention. It wasn't until this year that I decided to give "Get Out" a try, loved it, and then dove into their last two albums in anticipation of Love Is Dead. Has anything other than "The Mother We Share" managed to really catch your ear?

JSparksFan wrote:I had my doubts, but you proved to be right in the end!
Phew! I'm not sure I could've coped with you tearing a whole Kylie album to shreds... :cry:

JSparksFan wrote:As good as Kylie's album is, Kacey's is even better!
Kacey's has been more of a struggle for me so far :oops: I wasn't familiar with a huge sampling of her material going into it, but I was hoping there'd be more material along the upbeat, saucy lines of "Follow Your Arrow"/"Biscuits"/"High Horse," when the bulk of Golden Hour actually seems more akin to "Merry Go 'Round" or "Dandelion." There's a more pervasive...subdued, reflective feeling than I expected. I came away from it feeling like it was kind of a downer at first, but some of it started growing on me, and I'm beginning to see/appreciate it as more...calming than depressing.

JSparksFan wrote:The song's lyrics are quite era-specific - I'm thinking especially of the YouTube line - and not every song of Mimi's needs to be a multi-layered masterpiece, but even for what it is - a fun, carefree pop/R&B jam - it's not close to her best in that department ("Dreamlover", "Fantasy", "Honey", "It's Like That", etc.). I didn't even mean to list lead singles as examples, but look at that tasty coincidence. :lol:
Ha, I can't deny that TMB does look far less impressive when mentioned alongside those classics (aside from "It's Like That." TMB is miiiiles above that one for me. ILT has some cute lines, but that FAR-too-JD-infused chorus... :x )

Thanks again, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 04/20/18

• "Love" triumphs in a tiebreaker with "Stop Me From Falling" to give Kylie her third No. 1 of 2018 (and 10th overall).

01 (03) 02 | "Love" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (01) 06 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [P]
03 (04) 02 | "Sincerely Yours" - Kylie Minogue| 3
04 (02) 02 | "Every Little Part Of Me" - Kylie Minogue| 2 (1)
05 (09) 02 | "What Is Love?" - TWICE | 5
06 (13) 02 | "A Lifetime To Repair" - Kylie Minogue | 6
07 (20) 02 | "Pynk" - Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "Happy & Sad" - Kacey Musgraves | 8
09 (NE) 01 | "Lonely Weekend" - Kacey Musgraves | 9
10 (10) 02 | "Rollin'" - Kylie Minogue | 10
11 (25) 02 | "Live A Little" - Kylie Minogue | 11
12 (08) 03 | "Raining Glitter" - Kylie Minogue | 5 | [G]
13 (05) 02 | "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" - Paloma Faith | 5
14 (NE) 01 | "Golden Hour" - Kacey Musgraves | 14
15 (NE) 01 | "Let Me" - Zayn | 15
16 (14) 04 | "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (1) | [G]
17 (19) 03 | "Change" - Charlie Puth ft. James Taylor | 17
18 (15) 03 | "Never Say Die" - CHVRCHES | 1 (1) | [G]
19 (NE) 01 | "Music's Too Sad Without You" - Kylie Minogue ft. Jack Savoretti | 19
20 (NE) 01 | "Space Cowboy" - Kacey Musgraves | 20
21 (06) 03 | "What I Need" - Hayley Kiyoko ft. Kehlani | 6
22 (16) 02 | "Radio On" - Kylie Minogue | 16
23 (11) 02 | "Shelby '68" - Kylie Minogue | 11
24 (RE) 21 | "Into The Blue" - Kylie Minogue| 1 (3) | [4xP]
25 (NE) 01 | "Love Is A Wild Thing" - Kacey Musgraves | 25
26 (NE) 01 | "Oh, What A World" - Kacey Musgraves | 26
27 (12) 02 | "Golden" - Kylie Minogue | 12
28 (NE) 01 | "Miracle" - CHVRCHES | 28
29 (RE) 02 | "Broken Hearts Heal" - Janet Jackson | 13
30 (18) 02 | "One Last Kiss" - Kylie Minogue | 18

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 04/27/18

• Ariana picks up her 14th Paulboard No. 1 as "No Tears Left To Cry" debuts right on top.

01 (NE) 01 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "Stop Me From Falling (Remix)" - Kylie Minogue ft. Gente de Zona | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Babe" - Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift| 3
04 (07) 03 | "Pynk" - Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 4
05 (14) 02 | "Golden Hour" - Kacey Musgraves | 5
06 (02) 07 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [P]
07 (RE) 11 | "Dancing" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [2xP]
08 (28) 02 | "Miracle" - CHVRCHES | 8
09 (RE) 21 | "Break Free" - Ariana Grande ft. Zedd | 1 (1) | [2xP]
10 (17) 04 | "Change" - Charlie Puth ft. James Taylor | 10
11 (16) 05 | "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (1) | [G]
12 (18) 04 | "Never Say Die" - CHVRCHES | 1 (1) | [G]
13 (24) 22 | "Into The Blue" - Kylie Minogue| 1 (3) | [4xP]
14 (01) 03 | "Love" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [G]
15 (04) 03 | "Every Little Part Of Me" - Kylie Minogue | 2 (1) | [G]
16 (RE) 04 | "When I Think Of You" - Janet Jackson | 15 | [G]
17 (RE) 02 | "Alright" - Janet Jackson | 7 | [G]
18 (15) 02 | "Let Me" - Zayn | 15
19 (NE) 01 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 19
20 (RE) 06 | "Make Me Feel" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [G]
21 (RE) 21 | "The Way" - Ariana Grande ft. Mac Miller | 1 (2) | [3xP]
22 (05) 03 | "What Is Love?" - TWICE | 5
23 (13) 03 | "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" - Paloma Faith | 5
24 (RE) 19 | "Into You" - Ariana Grande | 1 (2) | [3xP]
25 (RE) 23 | "Moonlight" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [3xP]
26 (08) 02 | "Happy & Sad" - Kacey Musgraves | 8
27 (12) 04 | "Raining Glitter" - Kylie Minogue | 5 | [G]
28 (NE) 01 | "Roll Witchu" - Janet Jackson | 28
29 (NE) 01 | "The Knowledge" - Janet Jackson | 29
30 (NE) 01 | "He Doesn't Know I'm Alive" - Janet Jackson | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:14 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Howdy Jake! :D
Howdy cowboy! :wink: :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Of our many shared hits/artists, our common adoration for Kylie warms my heart the most :D I still love "Dancing," but it's been running out of enough steam lately to keep up with the steady influx of new releases (from Kylie herself and others). It holds the honor of being of my most-played-song of 2018 so far AND the longest-charting hit of 2018 at 10 weeks total. Nothing else has lasted more than 8...yet.

"Music's Too Sad Without You," however, did not make a favorable first (or second) impression :oops: It just struck me as way too...subdued, almost monotone. I'm definitely not anti-ballad, but this particular slow song just took "slow" too far for me. I've warmed up to it slightly in week 2, but it still stands out as an especially underwhelming moment on an album that leaves me pretty pleased overall.
Ahh ok it's usually 10-12 weeks on average a big hit stays on my chart although there have been exceptions that have stayed strong enough to collect more weeks in my chart. Dancing is just an amazing pop song. It's my most played song of 2018 so far too, but then with 13 weeks inside my top 20 it must look obvious to even the casual viewers that Kylie has my #1 song of the year so far. :wink:

Aww that's fair enough, i wouldn't expect everyone to love the same album tracks as me (although that would be pretty cool :lol: ).

phoenix98 wrote:Tease away, Jake 8-) Tease away...
LOL you're such a flirt. I love it. :lol: :wink:

phoenix98 wrote:Ooh...I'll try not to set my hopes too high, but I love the idea of seeing "High Horse" on your chart sometime soon!

**Hooves crossed**
I posted in Akini's chart thread just now and mentioned how this week has been a fairly quiet week for playing music, but High horse was a song that i played a few times earlier on in the week thanks to its rather quirky lyric video. :P So Kacey is looking set to benefit and crack my top 20 tonight. :D

phoenix98 wrote:Janelle's served up some serious diversity between "Django Jane," "Make Me Feel," and now "Pynk." Seeing that Grimes was involved with this one raised my hopes right away, and while it's definitely not an insta-earworm on par with "Make Me Feel," it still stuck in my brain enough to keep me coming back a few times (and even more often in week 2) ;) I'm also impressed by how much she's managed to charm me with such a vagina-focused anthem :lol: Granted, we do have plenty of pink parts too...

I hope to check out Janelle's album properly but i notice there are two tracks on the album that are interludes, and i really don't see the point in charting a song from an album that's barely 30 seconds long. :lol: :oops: I also haven't even got round to checking out I like that even though i know it was Akini's #1 last weekend. Hopefully i will find some time later on or tomorrow to rectify this. :P

So let's check out the latest happenings in the world of Paulboard. :D

YES! Get that #1 hit Ariana. Or even get that 14th #1. :o :P That's an incredible feat which has got me wondering which artist has the most #1s in your chart?

02 (NE) 01 | "Stop Me From Falling (Remix)" - Kylie Minogue ft. Gente de Zona | 2 (1)

Aww love seeing the new remix entering at #2. To think a week ago we would've had the same top 2, but will that remain the same tonight when i reveal my new chart?

What was that comment i read..."Tease away Jake"? I'mma teasin' :lol:

Great climb for Janelle here. I refer back to your comment about loving a vagina anthem but i'm the same with this track. Like you say, we also have pink parts so someone should do an alternative male version called "Pynis". :lol: :P :wink:

So yes, check out my new chart to see where High horse has entered. :D (don't be too disappointed when you discover it's not that high). :oops:

Best of the rest:

10 (17) 04 | "Change" - Charlie Puth ft. James Taylor | 10
14 (01) 03 | "Love" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [G]
15 (04) 03 | "Every Little Part Of Me" - Kylie Minogue | 2 (1) | [G]
JakeP
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:10 am

Quite a generous serving of Janet and Janelle. Those ladies have ruled the weekend for me, so great to see them having a good showing here. I hope you enjoy Dirty Computer as much as I did! :D

The new Ariana song is just okay for me, but who knows? It may turn out to be a random grower. I'm listening to "Babe", and Taylor's vocal contribution is minimal; I would have expected a full verse, but she's really just on the hook, which sounds like it consists of a single word. :lol: And now I'm reading that the song was recorded for Red, so it's basically six years old now. It's not bad, though.

03 (NE) 01 | "Babe" - Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift| 3
05 (14) 02 | "Golden Hour" - Kacey Musgraves | 5
19 (NE) 01 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 19
26 (08) 02 | "Happy & Sad" - Kacey Musgraves | 8
28 (NE) 01 | "Roll Witchu" - Janet Jackson | 28
29 (NE) 01 | "The Knowledge" - Janet Jackson | 29
30 (NE) 01 | "He Doesn't Know I'm Alive" - Janet Jackson | 30
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Many thanks and much love for the comments! :D

JakeP wrote:Howdy cowboy! :wink: :lol:
Yee-haw! 8-)

JakeP wrote:Ahh ok it's usually 10-12 weeks on average a big hit stays on my chart although there have been exceptions that have stayed strong enough to collect more weeks in my chart. Dancing is just an amazing pop song. It's my most played song of 2018 so far too, but then with 13 weeks inside my top 20 it must look obvious to even the casual viewers that Kylie has my #1 song of the year so far. :wink:
Apple Music has definitely accelerated the pace of my chart (which had already been pretty tumultuous before) :lol: At this same time last year (pre-Apple Music), a handful of songs had already lasted at least 10 weeks total (Terror Jr's "Heartbreaks," Starley's "Call On Me," TWICE's "KNOCK KNOCK," Zedd's "Stay"), compared to just "Dancing" this year.

It's been thrilling to watch "Dancing" (and Kylie in general) set the gold standard for Jakeboard success in 2018 :D I'd obviously have ZERO complaints if "Dancing" held onto that honor through the end of the year! If "Dancing" is clearly in the lead with 14 weeks on your chart in 2018 (at the time of this post), does that mean "Make Me Feel" is the runner-up with nine?

JakeP wrote:LOL you're such a flirt. I love it. :lol: :wink:
;) Adding a lil extra spice to our many musical discussions.

JakeP wrote:I hope to check out Janelle's album properly but i notice there are two tracks on the album that are interludes, and i really don't see the point in charting a song from an album that's barely 30 seconds long. :lol: :oops: I also haven't even got round to checking out I like that even though i know it was Akini's #1 last weekend. Hopefully i will find some time later on or tomorrow to rectify this. :P
Ha, yeah, interludes are an interesting case. Usually I'll just go with whatever results that last.fm shows, but I decide if interludes will chart on a case-by-case basis. Some of Janet's interludes are literally 5-10 seconds long, with her just saying a couple of words, so I exclude those (even though last.fm still tracks those play counts like it would with any song). I think some interludes/intros/outros can make a worthwhile impact in less than a minute, though, so those will still appear here.

JakeP wrote:YES! Get that #1 hit Ariana. Or even get that 14th #1. :o :P That's an incredible feat which has got me wondering which artist has the most #1s in your chart?
Leave it to Ari to sync things up across your chart, Tansike's, and mine (among others, I'm sure) :D Her 14 No. 1's put her just slightly behind Taylor's 17 and Carly Rae's 16. Sweetener could shake-up that order by the end of the year, though!

JakeP wrote:What was that comment i read..."Tease away Jake"? I'mma teasin' :lol:
Keep 'em comin'! ;)

JakeP wrote:Great climb for Janelle here. I refer back to your comment about loving a vagina anthem but i'm the same with this track. Like you say, we also have pink parts so someone should do an alternative male version called "Pynis". :lol: :P :wink:
:o :lol: :lol: :lol: BRILLIANT! Will you be in charge of directing that video too (after putting the finishing touches on your new version of "On The Loose")? ;)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:25 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Quite a generous serving of Janet and Janelle. Those ladies have ruled the weekend for me, so great to see them having a good showing here. I hope you enjoy Dirty Computer as much as I did! :D
You are 1000% responsible for all the Janet 8-) Thanks to all the hype and fun surrounding your epic tribute, she's actually enjoying her most-played-year since I started using last.fm! You deserve some credit for Janelle too, since your chart nudged me to give "Cold War" a (very belated) listen.

JSparksFan wrote:The new Ariana song is just okay for me, but who knows? It may turn out to be a random grower. I'm listening to "Babe", and Taylor's vocal contribution is minimal; I would have expected a full verse, but she's really just on the hook, which sounds like it consists of a single word. :lol: And now I'm reading that the song was recorded for Red, so it's basically six years old now. It's not bad, though.
I had no idea that "Babe" originated during the Red sessions, but that makes it even less surprising that it has me so hooked :lol: I kind of like how Taylor's contributions are more understated (though she does take charge during the outro). It reminds me of Christina's additions to A Great Big World's "Say Something" (these big-name acts with recognizable voices bringing a little something extra to songs, without completely taking them over). I appreciate the restraint - the art of doing backing vocal cameos.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat May 05, 2018 3:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 05/04/18

• Janelle paints Paulboard "Pynk," as her recent album release nudges the pussy power anthem into becoming her first-ever No. 1.

01 (04) 04 | "Pynk" - Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "Americans" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1)
03 (15) 04 | "Every Little Part Of Me" - Kylie Minogue | 2 (1) | [G]
04 (01) 02 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (03) 02 | "Babe" - Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift | 3
06 (NE) 01 | "Screwed" - Janelle Monáe ft. Zoë Kravitz | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 7
08 (19) 02 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 8
09 (RE) 13 | "Love Me Harder" - Ariana Grande ft. The Weeknd | 3 | [2xP]
10 (14) 04 | "Love" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [G]
11 (20) 07 | "Make Me Feel" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [P]
12 (RE) 03 | "Rollin'" - Kylie Minogue | 10
13 (06) 08 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [P]
14 (05) 03 | "Golden Hour" - Kacey Musgraves | 5
15 (11) 06 | "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (1) | [G]
16 (RE) 15 | "Problem" - Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea | 1 (1) | [2xP]
17 (07) 12 | "Dancing" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [2xP]
[18 (RE) 03 | "The Pleasure Principle" - Janet Jackson | 15 | [G]
19 (09) 22 | "Break Free" - Ariana Grande ft. Zedd | 1 (1) | [2xP]
20 (08) 03 | "Miracle" - CHVRCHES | 8
21 (RE) 11 | "Break Your Heart Right Back" - Ariana Grande ft. Childish Gambino | 1 (1) | [P]
22 (27) 05 | "Raining Glitter" - Kylie Minogue | 5 | [G]
23 (16) 05 | "When I Think Of You" - Janet Jackson | 15 | [G]
24 (RE) 02 | "My Baby" - Janet Jackson ft. Kanye West | 24
25 (02) 02 | "Stop Me From Falling (Remix)" - Kylie Minogue ft. Gente de Zona | 2 (1)
26 (RE) 03 | "Night" - Janet Jackson | 26
27 (NE) 01 | "So Afraid" - Janelle Monáe | 27
28 (NE) 01 | "Stevie's Dream" - Janelle Monáe | 28
29 (NE) 01 | "Don't Judge Me" - Janelle Monáe | 29
30 (23) 04 | "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" - Paloma Faith | 5

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat May 12, 2018 4:45 am

Hola, Paul! My brain is random and weird, so it just recently picked up on how consistent your posts are, time-wise. Most of your posts are made at times ending with either "0" or "5". Of your last 125 posts, I could only find one post that didn't fit that trend, and even then, it was just one minute 'over' (11:41), so it's an impressively consistent practice! Is that random, or are you like T-Swizzle's brilliant marketing team, carefully releasing posts at predetermined time slots? Random observation aside, let's get into the music!

This is an outstanding chart, and I say that even as "Pynk" - a grower and solid track, yes, but not one of the album's big guns - climbs to #1 over my instant and clear stand-out "Americans". I'm happy that you're enjoying Dirty Computer as much as I am. It's safe to say it is my favourite album of the year thus far, and will likely remain as such unless Mariah does release an LP, and even then Mimi has a big task to eclipse Janelle. Did you see the emotion picture yet?

Good re-entries from Ariana as well. Listening to the Glee Cast's cover of "Problem" got me to revisit the original, and I think I was too harsh on Ariana's poor enunciation. She delivers some killer vocals on that track, despite the increasing level of unintelligible words as she ventures further into that work-in-progress upper register of hers.

Double yay at the Janet entries. Also, :lol: at another controversial ranking in my tribute prompting an avatar change. You're 100% right, though; it is an epic photo of Ms. Jackson!

01 (04) 04 | "Pynk" - Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 1 (1) | [G]
02 (NE) 01 | "Americans" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1)
04 (01) 02 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
05 (03) 02 | "Babe" - Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift | 3
06 (NE) 01 | "Screwed" - Janelle Monáe ft. Zoë Kravitz | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 7
08 (19) 02 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 8
09 (RE) 13 | "Love Me Harder" - Ariana Grande ft. The Weeknd | 3 | [2xP]
11 (20) 07 | "Make Me Feel" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [P]
13 (06) 08 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [P]
14 (05) 03 | "Golden Hour" - Kacey Musgraves | 5
15 (11) 06 | "High Horse" - Kacey Musgraves | 1 (1) | [G]
16 (RE) 15 | "Problem" - Ariana Grande ft. Iggy Azalea | 1 (1) | [2xP]
17 (07) 12 | "Dancing" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [2xP]
[18 (RE) 03 | "The Pleasure Principle" - Janet Jackson | 15 | [G]
19 (09) 22 | "Break Free" - Ariana Grande ft. Zedd | 1 (1) | [2xP]
22 (27) 05 | "Raining Glitter" - Kylie Minogue | 5 | [G]
23 (16) 05 | "When I Think Of You" - Janet Jackson | 15 | [G]
24 (RE) 02 | "My Baby" - Janet Jackson ft. Kanye West | 24
25 (02) 02 | "Stop Me From Falling (Remix)" - Kylie Minogue ft. Gente de Zona | 2 (1)
26 (RE) 03 | "Night" - Janet Jackson | 26
30 (23) 04 | "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" - Paloma Faith | 5

phoenix98 wrote:You are 1000% responsible for all the Janet 8-) Thanks to all the hype and fun surrounding your epic tribute, she's actually enjoying her most-played-year since I started using last.fm! You deserve some credit for Janelle too, since your chart nudged me to give "Cold War" a (very belated) listen.
Fun fact about Janet: I have never played an artist's music the way I've played Janet's music the past two months. I have some LastFM statistics that I track, and before 2018, the biggest monthly total recorded by a single artist was Whitney's 523 spins in the month of May 2012 (prompted by her death in February that year and the tribute I was working on for Whitney around that time). However, in March and April of this year, Janet's chalked up 541 and 574 spins, respectively! There's something to be said about that level of intensity; her music is damn good!

phoenix98 wrote:I had no idea that "Babe" originated during the Red sessions, but that makes it even less surprising that it has me so hooked :lol: I kind of like how Taylor's contributions are more understated (though she does take charge during the outro). It reminds me of Christina's additions to A Great Big World's "Say Something" (these big-name acts with recognizable voices bringing a little something extra to songs, without completely taking them over). I appreciate the restraint - the art of doing backing vocal cameos.
Good comparison, but I think Christina is more pronounced (and valuable) on "Say Something" than Taylor is on "Babe". Maybe with repeated spins, I'll feel differently, though.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:25 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Hola, Paul! My brain is random and weird, so it just recently picked up on how consistent your posts are, time-wise. Most of your posts are made at times ending with either "0" or "5". Of your last 125 posts, I could only find one post that didn't fit that trend, and even then, it was just one minute 'over' (11:41), so it's an impressively consistent practice! Is that random, or are you like T-Swizzle's brilliant marketing team, carefully releasing posts at predetermined time slots? Random observation aside, let's get into the music!
:D I'm truly touched that you noticed! You've got a keen eye. I do have a slight OCD approach to post-timestamps, and much prefer the look of a "0" or "5" at the end. I feel similarly about that damn "edited" bar at the bottom of posts, but that one can be harder to remedy, since deleting and re-posting can throw off the entire flow of conversation in a thread once others have chimed in.

I also appreciate how the tone of your post doesn't at all convey "Jesus, man, it's just a forum. Loosen up a little." :lol:

JSparksFan wrote:This is an outstanding chart, and I say that even as "Pynk" - a grower and solid track, yes, but not one of the album's big guns - climbs to #1 over my instant and clear stand-out "Americans". I'm happy that you're enjoying Dirty Computer as much as I am. It's safe to say it is my favourite album of the year thus far, and will likely remain as such unless Mariah does release an LP, and even then Mimi has a big task to eclipse Janelle. Did you see the emotion picture yet?
"Pynk" proved to be a very rare steady-climber here (where songs usually debut at their peak, or possibly reach it in week 2, then fall from that point forward, with occasional mini-rebounds on the way down). "Pynk" operates on a pretty perfect plane for me: I love the chill, catchy sound of the song, and I can completely get behind the lyrics ("F**k yeah pussy power! Bodies are beautiful! Women are sexy (on their own damn terms, not mens') and strong!") without hitting any gut-wrenching brutally-honest moments that drop in some of the other Dirty Computer tracks. I absolutely appreciate that those moments are included, but it slightly hurts their replay-value when I need to take a breather after hearing them, as I shake my head and wonder "What the f**k do we do now?" How do we fix this?" She really knows how to yank your head out of the sand. Janelle and I might be able to share the same LGBTQ umbrella, but as a white male, I know I'm a part of some communities/systems that have given her the serious sh*t she's fighting back against. She serves some heavy, necessary reminders of how just far our country (and me personally) still need to go...

I did! My heart seriously sank when I thought it was ending without properly featuring "Americans," but its inclusion couldn't have been more perfect! The whole picture deserves its own post(s), but her creativity/vision is really remarkable. Her brilliant blending of sci-fi scenery/story-telling with VERY relevant contemporary social commentary ought to be witnessed by as many people as possible.

JSparksFan wrote:Good re-entries from Ariana as well. Listening to the Glee Cast's cover of "Problem" got me to revisit the original, and I think I was too harsh on Ariana's poor enunciation. She delivers some killer vocals on that track, despite the increasing level of unintelligible words as she ventures further into that work-in-progress upper register of hers.
Yeah, "No Tears Left To Cry" definitely put me in "I haven't revisited her catalog in a while..." mode. I had no idea Glee ever covered that! I'm rarely this fickle when it comes to TV shows, usually sticking it out until cancellation - but I completely fell off the wagon after season 2 :oops: In my defense, season 1 had become a weekly viewing ritual with a few friends in college, but once we all went our separate ways after graduation, the experience just wasn't the same watching it myself each week. I'm definitely thankful for it re-shaping your views on "Problem," though!

JSparksFan wrote:Double yay at the Janet entries. Also, :lol: at another controversial ranking in my tribute prompting an avatar change. You're 100% right, though; it is an epic photo of Ms. Jackson!
You inspire me in many ways ;) I figure the avatar changes, while serving as a way to mourn the loss of these bops, also serves as a celebration of your tribute. It's on my mind (basically) every day lately, and I've been loving the ride.

JSparksFan wrote:Fun fact about Janet: I have never played an artist's music the way I've played Janet's music the past two months. I have some LastFM statistics that I track, and before 2018, the biggest monthly total recorded by a single artist was Whitney's 523 spins in the month of May 2012 (prompted by her death in February that year and the tribute I was working on for Whitney around that time). However, in March and April of this year, Janet's chalked up 541 and 574 spins, respectively! There's something to be said about that level of intensity; her music is damn good!
:o Massive! It didn't even require a new album release (not that I'd mind another form her, though I don't expect it anytime soon). She really has such a quality catalog - there's plenty of epic tracks that are essentially burnout-proof, but the vastness and variety of worthwhile moments make it even easier (and wholly satisfying) to binge on.

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat May 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 05/11/18

• Céline rises like a phoenix to perch atop Paulboard for the very first time with "Ashes."

01 (NE) 01 | "Ashes" - Céline Dion | 1 (1)
02 (05) 03 | "Babe" - Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift | 2 (1) | [G]
03 (01) 05 | "Pynk" - Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 1 (1) | [G]
04 (NE) 01 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 4
05 (NE) 01 | "I'll Be There" - Jess Glynne | 5
06 (07) 02 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 6
07 (08) 03 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 7
08 (06) 02 | "Screwed" - Janelle Monáe ft. Zoë Kravitz | 6
09 (NE) 01 | "The Way I Am" - Charlie Puth | 9
10 (NE) 01 | "Crazy, Classic, Life" - Janelle Monáe | 10
11 (04) 03 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
12 (02) 02 | "Americans" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1)
13 (NE) 01 | "Hurt Somebody (Alex Adair Remix)" - Noah Kahan ft. Julia Michaels | 13
14 (03) 05 | "Every Little Part Of Me" - Kylie Minogue | 2 (1) | [G]
15 (10) 05 | "Love" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (1) | [G]
16 (25) 03 | "Stop Me From Falling (Remix)" - Kylie Minogue ft. Gente de Zona | 2 (1)
17 (RE) 02 | "LUV" - Janet Jackson | 17
18 (RE) 04 | "You Want This" - Janet Jackson | 14 | [G]
19 (13) 09 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [P]
20 (NE) 01 | "Sky Full Of Song" - Florence + The Machine | 20
21 (RE) 09 | "One Heart" - Céline Dion | 5 | [P]
22 (RE) 03 | "Doesn't Really Matter (Soundtrack Version)" - Janet Jackson | 17
23 (RE) 06 | "Pour Que Tu M'Aimes Encore" - Céline Dion | 2 (2) | [G]
24 (22) 06 | "Raining Glitter" - Kylie Minogue | 5 | [G]
25 (RE) 05 | "Where Does My Heart Beat Now" - Céline Dion | 3 | [G]
26 (NE) 01 | "Misled" - Céline Dion | 26
27 (RE) 03 | "Nothing Broken But My Heart" - Céline Dion | 15
28 (RE) 02 | "Done For Me" - Charlie Puth ft. Kehlani | 16
29 (11) 08 | "Make Me Feel" - Janelle Monáe | 3 | [P]
30 (NE) 01 | "Accelerate" - Christina Aguilera ft. Ty Dolla $ign & 2 Chainz | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sat May 12, 2018 5:03 pm

phoenix98 wrote:
JSparksFan wrote:Hola, Paul! My brain is random and weird, so it just recently picked up on how consistent your posts are, time-wise. Most of your posts are made at times ending with either "0" or "5". Of your last 125 posts, I could only find one post that didn't fit that trend, and even then, it was just one minute 'over' (11:41), so it's an impressively consistent practice! Is that random, or are you like T-Swizzle's brilliant marketing team, carefully releasing posts at predetermined time slots? Random observation aside, let's get into the music!
:D I'm truly touched that you noticed! You've got a keen eye. I do have a slight OCD approach to post-timestamps, and much prefer the look of a "0" or "5" at the end. I feel similarly about that damn "edited" bar at the bottom of posts, but that one can be harder to remedy, since deleting and re-posting can throw off the entire flow of conversation in a thread once others have chimed in.

I also appreciate how the tone of your post doesn't at all convey "Jesus, man, it's just a forum. Loosen up a little." :lol:
Gosh i have never noticed this until Akini posted it. But i can actually understand the appeal of having a nice round 0 or at least 5 part of the time stamp. 11:37 is just a random time after all. :lol:

So let's check out the good stuff. :P

01 (NE) 01 | "Ashes" - Céline Dion | 1 (1)

Wow this is incredible to see. The first time i watched the video to Ashes i was completely sold. The song, the choreography, the Deadpool flamboyancy in high heels, the fabulous dancing, the final scene with the dialogue. Just amazing, truly spectacular way to coming back hard and generating buzz. <3

04 (NE) 01 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 4

Ohh after reading your comment in my chart (which i need to reply to as well :oops: ) i thought Bloom was going to be your #2 so its debuted slightly lower than expected. It's still such a solid gold pop track and imo this is the natural follow up to My my my.

05 (NE) 01 | "I'll Be There" - Jess Glynne | 5

Ohh this is interesting. :P I do enjoy I'll be there and Jess has had some incredible success in my chart. However, its not so certain that this will make my top 5 but more likely enter in the top 10.

09 (NE) 01 | "The Way I Am" - Charlie Puth | 9

It's still not a patch on Attention or How come but i do like this song. The verses are kinda clunky though but i think i'd be more impressed to see Charlie perform this live considering how fast he sings the verses. :lol:

20 (NE) 01 | "Sky Full Of Song" - Florence + The Machine | 20

Interesting to see this enter but no sign of Hunger. :P As much as i like Sky full of song, i found Hunger to be a much more endearing track.

30 (NE) 01 | "Accelerate" - Christina Aguilera ft. Ty Dolla $ign & 2 Chainz | 30

Oh dear, not the greatest start then for Christina? :lol: I can see the appeal which is purely thanks to Christina who totally owns her parts in the song. It's the addition of both Ty Dolla $ign and 2Chainz that ruin the flow. As i've posted elsewhere the rap is alright but it feels disjointed with the rest of Accelerate which whichever keeps talking over Christina needed to go. :lol: A song that've been so much better. Thankfully Twice is far superior. <3
JakeP
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:25 pm

JakeP wrote:Gosh i have never noticed this until Akini posted it. But i can actually understand the appeal of having a nice round 0 or at least 5 part of the time stamp. 11:37 is just a random time after all. :lol:
I do like the orderliness of it, but I try not to get TOO obsessive about it :lol: I want to keep it as a personal posting preference, and not let it become a requirement/fixation.

JakeP wrote:Wow this is incredible to see. The first time i watched the video to Ashes i was completely sold. The song, the choreography, the Deadpool flamboyancy in high heels, the fabulous dancing, the final scene with the dialogue. Just amazing, truly spectacular way to coming back hard and generating buzz. <3
Ha, yeah, that dancing Deadpool was a really great way to bring some of his films' signature playfulness and levity into the video for such an emotional, heartfelt ballad. Even with such contrasting elements, it all comes together brilliantly! I'm all for this fantastic song getting as much buzz as possible too.

JakeP wrote:Ohh after reading your comment in my chart (which i need to reply to as well :oops: ) i thought Bloom was going to be your #2 so its debuted slightly lower than expected. It's still such a solid gold pop track and imo this is the natural follow up to My my my.
It turned out that "Babe" and "Pynk" held up better than I'd realized when I was posting that over in your thread, but "Bloom" is definitely another charming offering from Troye. It might even outshine MMM!...

JakeP wrote:Ohh this is interesting. :P I do enjoy I'll be there and Jess has had some incredible success in my chart. However, its not so certain that this will make my top 5 but more likely enter in the top 10.
Shared Top 5 debuts across both of our charts would've been fabulous, but it was still really satisfying to see "I'll Be There" manage that No. 6 entry on yours! Especially after it "only" managed No. 16 on the official UK chart (though at least it inched up to No. 13 yesterday).

JakeP wrote:It's still not a patch on Attention or How come but i do like this song. The verses are kinda clunky though but i think i'd be more impressed to see Charlie perform this live considering how fast he sings the verses. :lol:
HmMmMm...it's a close call between "The Way I Am" and "How Long" for me, but there's some other stuff on his album that's been clicking with me more than any of those three.

JakeP wrote:Interesting to see this enter but no sign of Hunger. :P As much as i like Sky full of song, i found Hunger to be a much more endearing track.
I think you'd mentioned somewhere how "Hunger" feels more like usual Flo, and I can definitely hear that...but I've never really gotten into a lot of her material, so I think it actually works in "Sky"s favor that it sounds somewhat out-of-character for her. :lol:

JakeP wrote:Oh dear, not the greatest start then for Christina? :lol: I can see the appeal which is purely thanks to Christina who totally owns her parts in the song. It's the addition of both Ty Dolla $ign and 2Chainz that ruin the flow. As i've posted elsewhere the rap is alright but it feels disjointed with the rest of Accelerate which whichever keeps talking over Christina needed to go. :lol: A song that've been so much better. Thankfully Twice is far superior. <3
Ha, similar to what I was just saying about Flo above, I haven't gotten hooked on much of Christina's work over the years....so while I wanted to give "Accelerate" a chance, it would've been more surprising if I actually loved it. :lol:

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:30 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 05/18/18

• Years & Years score their first No. 1 in years & years (three, to be exact), as "If You're Over Me" follows in the footsteps of "Shine."

01 (NE) 01 | "If You're Over Me" - Years & Years | 1 (1)
02 (01) 02 | "Ashes" - Céline Dion | 1 (1)
03 (10) 02 | "Crazy, Classic, Life" - Janelle Monáe | 3
04 (07) 04 | "I Like That" - Janelle Monáe | 4 | [G]
05 (06) 03 | "Dirty Computer" - Janelle Monáe ft. Brian Wilson | 5
06 (NE) 01 | "Somebody Told Me" - Charlie Puth | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "Slow It Down" - Charlie Puth | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "Empty Cups" - Charlie Puth | 8
09 (04) 02 | "Bloom" - Troye Sivan | 4
10 (05) 02 | "I'll Be There" - Jess Glynne | 5
11 (02) 04 | "Babe" - Sugarland ft. Taylor Swift | 2 (1) | [G]
12 (NE) 01 | "Back To You" - Selena Gomez | 12
13 (11) 04 | "No Tears Left To Cry" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [G]
14 (RE) 05 | "Attention" - Charlie Puth | 9 | [G]
15 (RE) 02 | "You Can Be Mine" - Janet Jackson | 15
16 (RE) 02 | "Go Deep" - Janet Jackson | 16
17 (12) 03 | "Americans" - Janelle Monáe | 2 (1)
18 (03) 06 | "Pynk" - Janelle Monáe ft. Grimes | 1 (1) | [G]
19 (NE) 01 | "BOY" - Charlie Puth | 19
20 (NE) 01 | "Patient" - Charlie Puth | 20
21 (RE) 03 | "New Agenda" - Janet Jackson | 9 | [G]
22 (28) 03 | "Done For Me" - Charlie Puth ft. Kehlani | 16
23 (NE) 01 | "You" - Janet Jackson | 23
24 (NE) 01 | "Toy" - Netta | 24
25 (RE) 04 | "My My My!" - Troye Sivan | 4 | [G]
26 (NE) 01 | "Youth" - Shawn Mendes ft. Khalid | 26
27 (09) 02 | "The Way I Am" - Charlie Puth | 9
28 (19) 10 | "Stop Me From Falling" - Kylie Minogue | 1 (3) | [2xP]
29 (RE) 03 | "State Of The World" - Janet Jackson | 11 | [G]