HITS #1: Travis Scott (<71k SPS); M.Bublé: Love (>60k sales)

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby borneoman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:14 am

and people complained back in the day about mariah's radio payola, that was nothing compared to the current Drake spotify payola, not even funny
borneoman
Personal Assistant

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:08 pm

The Drake thing is funny because I know nobody who likes him. Childish Gambino yes, Kendrick Lamar yes, Run the Jewels yes, even Cardi B yes... but I don't know a single person who likes Drake. I saw a meme saying Drake is the Nickelback of hip hop and I can't disagree since I don't know any hip hop fans who like him, mor do I know pop fans who do. Yet looking at the charts you'd think he was as beloved as MJ in his day.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby thebigham » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 pm

DOWN the figures go...

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=312451

Drake (YMCMB/Republic) 725-775k total activity, 150-160k album
thebigham
Legend

Postby Wayne » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Wow, that's a huge step change - and it all comes from actual sales, which look to be much weaker than first anticipated.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby RafaelLopez » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:14 pm

the brutal decrease in pure sales... :o
RafaelLopez
Manager

Postby Hugo » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:54 pm

No one is here for the spam, the album will be dead in a month.
"King isn't overrated, your fave is just undertalented."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby thebigham » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:15 pm

borneoman wrote:and people complained back in the day about mariah's radio payola, that was nothing compared to the current Drake spotify payola, not even funny
Oh, Lord. I'm scared to ask. :roll:

Mariah's radio payola? :cry:

You mean her 49 cent singles scandal? :o
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Hugo wrote:No one is here for the spam, the album will be dead in a month.
LOL, no. Streaming will keep it on the charts.
thebigham
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 pm

borneoman wrote:and people complained back in the day about mariah's radio payola, that was nothing compared to the current Drake spotify payola, not even funny
You know nothing
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:38 pm

it'll still be high because of streams but selling 76 copies. Yeah.... the new MJ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NothingFails
Legend

Postby iHypeMusic » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 pm

NothingFails wrote:The Drake thing is funny because I know nobody who likes him. Childish Gambino yes, Kendrick Lamar yes, Run the Jewels yes, even Cardi B yes... but I don't know a single person who likes Drake. I saw a meme saying Drake is the Nickelback of hip hop and I can't disagree since I don't know any hip hop fans who like him, mor do I know pop fans who do. Yet looking at the charts you'd think he was as beloved as MJ in his day.
This is the most delusional thing I have ever read.
iHypeMusic
Personal Assistant

Postby Goldmoney » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:12 am

Drake is apparently the most popular artist in the hood but I don’t know a single negro who listens to him, at least not publicly. A huge chunk of his fan base is tweeny wypipo anyway. :roll:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:38 am

iHypeMusic wrote:
NothingFails wrote:The Drake thing is funny because I know nobody who likes him. Childish Gambino yes, Kendrick Lamar yes, Run the Jewels yes, even Cardi B yes... but I don't know a single person who likes Drake. I saw a meme saying Drake is the Nickelback of hip hop and I can't disagree since I don't know any hip hop fans who like him, mor do I know pop fans who do. Yet looking at the charts you'd think he was as beloved as MJ in his day.
Seems pretty rational to me. I don’t know one person who likes or listens to Drake either.
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby iHypeMusic » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:57 am

Ewokguy15 wrote:
iHypeMusic wrote:
Seems pretty rational to me. I don’t know one person who likes or listens to Drake either.
Well you live in Australia where his popularity isn't nearly the same.

Drake is the biggest artist by far with the 13-30 American demo. I know a dozen people who listen to all his music the day it comes out, post it all over social media, have his merchandise, go to his tours, etc.

To say you'd find people who like Cardi B, a rapper who dropped their debut album four months ago, but not people who like someone who's been popular for a decade straight is just delusional.

Also -- hello, he's doing the biggest opening of the year. He also had the biggest opening of 2016. He clearly has a huge fanbase that devotedly supports him.

An artist who is popular but not actually 'liked' by anyone would be like Flo Rida/Pitbull/random EDM DJs, who have consistent huge hits but can't even do 25K first week with albums. Not an artist doing 750K first week.
iHypeMusic
Personal Assistant

Postby Cactuar » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:28 am

iHypeMusic wrote:
+ 1

I think you’re just not part of his demographic. Drake is like the Taylor Swift of R&B/hip-hop, we are talking millions of mainstream fans, memes and a die-hard following.
Cactuar
Superstar

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:49 am

BhiveDiva wrote:This is just what you think. Others artist are popular too and don't receive so much promotion. Do you really believe that Drake is on more than 800 playlist because Spotify loves him? Oh, honey :lol:
Spotify needs him more than he needs Spotify. They tried to keep up with Apple Music’s Scorpion streams - didn’t work out for them, Drake gets promo though.
Looks like I found my way home
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:52 am

I don’t think there is Spotify payola. If they don’t rely on their playlist feedback stats people wouldn’t use the service so much and leave it for the competition.
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:54 am

NothingFails wrote:
it'll still be high because of streams but selling 76 copies. Yeah.... the new MJ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don’t see an issue with it being on top of the charts if it's being streamed?

Who said he’s the new MJ though? I don’t think sales and streams, especially from different decades, are well comparable.
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby thass_hot » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:02 pm

thebigham wrote:DOWN the figures go...

They downgraded 150k the totals, being the sales responsible... I wonder if someone else can pull 1M these days
My daddy Alabama, momma Louisiana
thass_hot
Manager

Postby GetBack » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:41 pm

Very un-Drake of him considering he was #1 all year with two songs though it's not that shocking because he had albums out in 2015, 2016 and 2017 (some of which are mixtapes, playlists or whatever is convenient for him). I guess when the Spotify and Apple Music promo is way too in your face, it affects the streaming attitude. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It looks bad though when compared to More Life which opened last year with 226,000 in pure sales. Urban fans should really be thankful that streaming is making things look good on paper, all of the high and mighty acts who released this year cannot count on the abysmal first-week pure sales of 2018 to justify their success. :o :o :o
GetBack
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:19 pm

The question is: How many hip hop listeners moved from iTunes to Apple Music and Spotify last year? We can’t just compare both sales figures.

Also, the new streaming equivalents apply, don’t they?

More Life had ~275k streaming/track equivalents, Scorpion is projected to have ~600k - that’s huge! Views had ~150k - under the old rules!

Scorpion is massive.
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:33 pm

iHypeMusic wrote:
Ewokguy15 wrote:
iHypeMusic wrote:
Well you live in Australia where his popularity isn't nearly the same.

Drake is the biggest artist by far with the 13-30 American demo. I know a dozen people who listen to all his music the day it comes out, post it all over social media, have his merchandise, go to his tours, etc.7

To say you'd find people who like Cardi B, a rapper who dropped their debut album four months ago, but not people who like someone who's been popular for a decade straight is just delusional.

Also -- hello, he's doing the biggest opening of the year. He also had the biggest opening of 2016. He clearly has a huge fanbase that devotedly supports him.

An artist who is popular but not actually 'liked' by anyone would be like Flo Rida/Pitbull/random EDM DJs, who have consistent huge hits but can't even do 25K first week with albums. Not an artist doing 750K first week.
Umm... I say the Cardi B thing because one of my best friends LOVES her. He has a fondness for trashy female artists going back to the 80s (LaToya Jackson, Vanity, Khia, Lil Kim, etc...) and he actually tried to sell me on Cardi and showing me clips of her videos trying to get me to see what he enjoys. Whereas I've never heard him speak once about Drake.

I also know people again who praise the likes of RTJ, Kendrick, Gambino, Schoolboy Q, Tyler The Creator amongst others, as well as more vet rappers like Kanye and Jay-Z.... but I don't know a single Drake fan, and I have many friends who live and breathe hip hop music. He's seen as a bubblegum pop star and lightweight.

I'd liken it to Garth Brooks in the 90s... he owned that decade like no other in the US, yet I didn't know a single fan of his. I have plenty of people on my FB feed talking about the new Gorillaz and Florence albums, but the only mention I've seen of Drake was a friend who is a MJ stan who was interested in the usage of his vocals on one track, and even then he prefaced with "I don't normally listen to Drake...."
Last edited by NothingFails on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:37 pm

Wow, this is the first time in a while that I've seen an HDD prediction lowered so much. Their estimates are usually conservative.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:39 pm

JSparksFan wrote:

Wow, this is the first time in a while that I've seen an HDD prediction lowered so much. Their estimates are usually conservative.
Timberlake's album seemed to do the same earlier this year
NothingFails
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Goldmoney wrote:Drake is apparently the most popular artist in the hood but I don’t know a single negro who listens to him, at least not publicly. A huge chunk of his fan base is tweeny wypipo anyway. :roll:
Trust me, white hipsters who embrace hip hop have no place for Drake either. I mean, yea I'm white and I'm over 30 and so are most of my friends, but when Kendrick or Gambino puts out a new video, my feed blows up because they won't stop talking about it. Drake on the other hand is viewed as a disposable artist for tweens and the hip hop fans I know see him as a lightweight and he isn't deemed cool enough to be accepted by alternative audiences who have grown to embrace hip hop music. It's not the same as Rihanna or Taylor or someone who while I may not be the core demographic, I know plenty of people who do love their music either ironically or in sincerity. They're on our radar, he's not.
NothingFails
Legend

Return to Chart Analysis