Virgostar's Top 40 of 2002 (with a perhaps unexpected twist)

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Virgostar » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:53 pm

Now it's my turn to join everyone in making a list of their favourite songs from this year....unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately for some!) I don't have 100 fav songs from this year, nor do I have 50....I had 45 actually, but I thought that looks a bit weird, so I cut the list down to 40....anyway here goes:

(* = Aussie artist)

40. X-Ecutioners feat Mike Shinoda & Mr Hahn - It's Going Down
39. Garbage - Cherry Lips
38. Kelly Osbourne - Papa Don't Preach
37. Crash Palace - Evolution*
36. Eminem - Lose Yourself
35. Garbage - Breaking Up The Girl
34. George - Breathe In Now*
33. Faithless feat Dido - One Step Too Far
32. Jamiroquai - Love Foolosophy
31. Toya - I Do!!
30. Shakira - Whenever, Wherever

The rest of my list will be coming over the next few days or so (this will just give you a view of my eclectic music taste!)....I'll keep you all waiting in the meantime!
Last edited by Virgostar on Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Terence » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:54 pm

Great to see Garbage there with both tracks!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Virgostar » Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:59 pm

Well since I am a Garbage fan, a list of my fav songs wouldn't be complete without at least one of their songs in there....pity they didn't chart higher, but if "Androgyny" had been released this year instead of last year, Garbage would've been somewhere in the Top 20 ( "Androgyny" being one of my fav tracks off their album....)....
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Terence » Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:06 pm

Androgyny was in my top 100 of last year, though it was very low due to its release in the end part of the year.

Hopefully they are present in 2002's chart!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Deadman » Thu Dec 12, 2002 4:14 pm

What! How could you put "Whenever Wherever" at number 30 - i thought that it would number 1 on your list Virgostar! Goes to show how much i know - though maybe it was released last year which is about the only reason i can think of as to why you put it so low! Perhaps "Underneath Your Clothes" or "Objection (Tango)" will be higher - i expected all 3 to be top 10 to be honest!
Deadman
Superstar

Postby Virgostar » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:21 am

:wink: You'll have to wait and see whether Shakira's other songs are higher....the reason why "Whenever, Wherever" is so low is not cos it was released last year here, it's cos it wasn't one of my fav singles from Shakira's album....I didn't really like it at first and it took me a while to get into it, hence the reason why it's so low on my chart....
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Deadman » Fri Dec 13, 2002 4:13 pm

Yeah i thought it must have been released last year. By the way are you only including songs that have been released as singles or does your chart include album tracks too?
Deadman
Superstar

Postby Virgostar » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:44 am

Only singles that have been released....if it was singles + album tracks, then I'd have a list of about 60-70 songs!! If only I'd thought of putting in album tracks as well *smacks head*....ah well.....

Here's the next installment:

29. Jennifer Love Hewitt - Barenaked
28. Eminem - Without Me
27. Dirty Vegas - Days Go By (I know this was released last year, but it got a re-release this year and ended up being released over here as well, so it deserves a placing)
26. Brandy - Full Moon
25. 1200 Techniques - Karma*
24. Tenacious D - Tribute
23. Charlton Hill - 2's Company*
22. Sugababes - Round Round
21. Appleton - Fantasy
20. Eve feat Alicia Keys - Gangsta Lovin
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby BadRapture » Sat Dec 14, 2002 5:51 am

Nice goin Virgostar - good to see u supporting local music as well.
BadRapture
Manager

Postby Virgostar » Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:05 am

I've got even more local music coming up in the Top 20 BadRapture! I'm surprised at how much Aussie music I've liked this year compared to other years...I've always thought that our market was dry in terms of great artists with great songs, but this year was phenomenal....and I'm rather excited by it as well!
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Terence » Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:32 am

Yeah it's nice to support local music.

There are a couple of Maltese tracks in my best 100, even though nobody knows who they are over here! :D

Nice chart so far Virgo!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Virgostar » Mon Dec 16, 2002 12:04 am

Now for some songs in the Top 20 of my chart:

19. Avril Lavigne - Sk8er Boi

Unfortunately, Avril's first single "Complicated" never made my end of year chart (first of all, this wasn't the song that got me hooked and secondly, this song got so much airplay in Australia that I got sick of hearing it), but the instantly catchy 2nd single did - this is still in the Top 10 in Australia and debuted at #3....

18. Wyclef Jean feat Claudette Ortiz - Two Wrongs

This song sends chills up my spine every time I hear it! I don't know what it is about duets, but this year I think I've liked a lot more duet songs than in past years! A beautiful song that managed to get Top 10 in Australia and #1 in New Zealand (my Kiwi friends on UKMIX can correct me on that one if they wish!)

17. Freestylers feat Petra - Told You So

I don't really know much about the Freestylers, but when this song hit the radio back in June, I knew that it would be one of my fav songs from this year - surprise surprise! This song about a girl refusing to take back her ex after he breaks their relationship off wasn't supported much on Sydney radio (except for one station, who did play this song often) and therefore never made the Top 50....

16. Alicia Keys - How Come You Don't Call Me

This brilliant cover of the Prince track makes it into my Top 20. Apparently, Prince was very happy with this cover when Alicia performed it and I would be too, considering cover songs always have the tag of being disastrous, but Alicia does the song justice. I wonder where "A Woman's Worth" will end up on this chart??

Songs 15-11 will be coming up soon and then for the Top 10!
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Smiles » Mon Dec 16, 2002 1:57 am

Nice chart Virgo hunny!

Shame bout the Alicia Keys its that only song of hers I dont really like... Well almost the only one!
Smiles
Manager

Postby Muzikritik » Mon Dec 16, 2002 5:52 am

Virgostar wrote:
18. Wyclef Jean feat Claudette Ortiz - Two Wrongs

This song sends chills up my spine every time I hear it! I don't know what it is about duets, but this year I think I've liked a lot more duet songs than in past years! A beautiful song that managed to get Top 10 in Australia and #1 in New Zealand (my Kiwi friends on UKMIX can correct me on that one if they wish!)
You're 100% correct. :)

And I also loved Alicia's cover... hell of a lot more than "Woman"
Muzikritik
Legend

Postby Terence » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:46 am

Yes, Al;icia's version of "How Come You Don't Call Me" is very good, even though it failed to make it in my chart (hints, hints!)
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Virgostar » Wed Dec 18, 2002 12:29 am

Now for numbers 15-11:

15. Tim Deluxe - It Just Won't Do

Am I the only person on here who actually likes this song??
I ask this again because whilst this song would've made it (and did make it) onto some ppl's worst lists, it's made it onto my best, simply because I enjoyed this annoyingly catchy dance ditty...this song would've charted higher had I not made about 3 or 4 adjustments to this chart....

14. John Mayer - No Such Thing

This first single off the "Room For Squares" album makes it into my Top 20....I first caught notice of this song whilst watching the MTV US chart and it soon grew on me....whilst it began to receive a fair amount of airplay in Australia and deserved to chart high, unfortunately "No Such Thing" peaked at #23 (which isn't exactly a failure considering songs that don't chart in the Top 10 in the UK are considered to be a failure of sorts)....

13. Ms Dynamite - Dy-na-mi-tee

Whilst some of you UKMIXers didn't think too much of the 2nd single off "A Little Deeper", I actually thought (and still think) this is a brilliant song and great to chill out to....Ms Dynamite is again at her best, on a rather autobiographical track about succeeding despite the odds....I just wonder how many more awards can she fit on her mantlepiece? Keep a look out for the single that burst her onto the UK music scene, "It Takes More" later on....

12. The Androids - Do It With Madonna*

Another band joining the growing list of Australian artists on my chart....this very catchy song about a man's fantasy with Madonna and how other popstars such as Britney, Christina and Pink don't compare is currently at #4 in the ARIA chart and deserves IMO to get to #1 (even if it doesn't, the "hilarious" video clip deserves a mention - unfortunately, I haven't actually seen it fully yet!)....I must also mention that these guys do great live and acoustic performances as well....

11. Coldplay - In My Place

My chart wouldn't be complete without mentioning Coldplay somewhere....this first single off their sophomore album has the boys back at their best, but just missed out on my Top 10....I wonder if "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" will win the UKMIX award for Best Album? (I certainly hope so!)

Next up: The all exciting extravaganza that is my Top 10 of 2002!

I'll try and have the results to you all by Christmas, but I might be busy between now and then...
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Terence » Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:07 am

Ooooh!

Nice to see Coldplay in there, that song is fantastic!
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby BadRapture » Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:58 pm

Looking forward to the Top 10
BadRapture
Manager

Postby TangoMan » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:44 pm

Very Nice chart, good to see coldplay so high!
Is This Deja-Vu?
Do I Somehow Know You?
TangoMan
Manager

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:21 pm

Nice to see Coldplay and John Mayer up there!
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby Virgostar » Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:43 pm

Here's the all important Top 10! (I'm trying to remain as upbeat as possible - I've just found out that I don't have enough marks to get into university :cry: )

10. Motor Ace - Carry On*

This song first caught my attention on an TV ad for one of my favourite TV shows (and because it's also another beautiful song)....with the help of that and some regular airplay, this song managed to debut at #13 on the ARIA charts....and makes it into my Top 10 as well.....

9. Shakira - Underneath Your Clothes

The ballad that seemingly some of you UKMIXer's hated (particularly Muzikritik who slammed this song in a review of his) but I loved also makes it into my Top 10....this 2nd single off "Laundry Service" was Shakira's 2nd #1 in Australia and is one of my favourites from the album....who knows where the 3rd single "Objection (Tango)" will chart??
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Dazzle » Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:45 pm

Virgostar! Who needs uni! We still loves ya!

Anyway, good to see Shakira in the top ten. I hope that the bribes I gave u should be enough to get 'Objection' at number one! :D
When you left I lost a part of me, It's still so hard to believe
Come back baby please cos We belong together

June 27th
Dazzle
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:50 pm

Yeah but I really wanted to go Dazzle in order to do what I want.....even to get into one university I missed the cut off by .70 :x :cry:

Anyway, you'll have to wait and see about "Objection" :P (I'm sticking my tongue out if you're wondering, I am not licking you as much as you'd like to believe!)
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby matthew_dixon » Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:23 am

Ahh Virgostar :cry:

Sorry to hear about your grades.

Interesting chart - would really love to hear "Do It With Madonna" - will have to download that sometime!
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Virgostar » Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:14 am

Thanx for the support guys....I typed all of that during the initial shock phase....I've calmed down now and I realise there are other ways of getting into university (and they don't involve bribes or indecent proposals :lol: ), so I'm all ok now (well, not quite all ok but I'm getting there)....

Matthew, you must download "Do It With Madonna" - it's such a good song!!
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Return to Year End Personal Charts