Paulboard Top 30 | 11.16.18 | she grew from the drama...

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:36 pm

Hello Paul :D

03 (NE) 01 | "Sweet But Psycho" - Ava Max | 3

Yay! :P I'm so happy you made this discovery via mine and Akini's chart. I have to thank Sweden for their fabulous taste getting Ava to #1. Its such a strong unashamed pop song and i just love the fact a song like this could potentially be a big successful hit in the coming months.

04 (01) 03 | "Running Shoes" - Troye Sivan| 1 (1) | | [G]

So i checked this out on that Soundcloud link you posted in my thread and...i wasn't feeling it. :oops: :( I really wanted to enjoy the song but it just wasn't clicking, but there was one particular track from Troye's album that i also remember struggling to really connect with the song.

All Troye needs to do is give this song a gay disco remix and i'm sure i would become my inner diva and love the song, :lol:

06 (NE) 01 | "With You" - Mariah Carey | 6

So how did this fare in the US billboard chart? I don't even know if that chart has been published yet, from what i can gather the US charts are like a week behind or something? :oops:

18 (NE) 01 | "Shallow" - Lady Gaga ft. Bradley Cooper | 18

Let's start with the obvious question "have you seen the film yet?" :lol: I just mentioned in Tansike's thread, i'm hopefully gonna see A star is born this Sunday so lets see how this pans out. :wink: Shallow remains as spine tinglingly amazing as ever. <3

26 (NE) 01 | "Diamond Heart" - Alan Walker ft. Sophia Somajo | 26

Ohh nice. :P I'm so happy to see Alan Walker getting a chart entry. Diamond heart is so glorious and it was in one of the closest battles for my #1 two weeks ago and it just edged out in front of Shallow by that Saturday.

Best of the rest:

05 (05) 05 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
07 (02) 02 | "What You Waiting For" - Sigala ft. Kylie Minogue | 2 (1)
10 (14) 03 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 10
13 (06) 04 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 6 | [G]
17 (11) 04 | "5 Dollars" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (1) | [G]
28 (10) 11 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
29 (26) 07 | "Your Song" - Rita Ora | 2 (1) | [G]
30 (16) 08 | "TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [P]
JakeP
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Fan wrote:WOO <3
It is super nice to talk again, that is for sure. I have missed our messages and keeping up-to-date what's up (and sharing our shameless love of amazing pop music <3).
<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Fan wrote:Haha, yeah I don't know what it is. I think I just get a bit annoyed when people I really like release stuff that is so below them. I also don't like the song he did with Paloma even though I adore her as well.
Sigala soiling your faves :cry: I think I can understand what you're saying, though: releasing subpar stuff (especially as singles) not only hands more ammunition to critics, but also feeds the misperception (among people who don't actually know an artist's catalog well) that they're not capable of greater depth/diversity/etc. Like how "What The Hell" convinced people that Avril had become a "juvenile," "bratty" pop/rock one-trick-pony, when the bulk of Goodbye Lullaby actually paints a VERY different picture. (I still love "What The Hell," though...) :lol:

Fan wrote:I do think we talked a bit about Dancing, didn't we? But I wasn't active on here when the full record dropped, no. So we totally missed that :o Sorry xx
Stop Me From Falling is my absolutele jam, combined with Sincerely Yours (the fact the she doesn't perform that one on tour is making me rather sad). I do love Dancing a lot, Shelby 68 is great, Lost Without You is very good. I like the title track.
In general I think it's a very cohesive record.
xx

Yes, YeS, YES!!! I'm especially thrilled to see you mention "Stop Me From Falling" first, since that's become my most-played song on the album (and my most-played song of 2018, actually). "Dancing" isn't far behind, though! "Sincerely Yours" absolutely deserved more attention (it seemed like one of the most obvious single picks, particularly because it could've appeased people who aren't feeling her more country-tinged material). I don't fully understand how/why "Lost Without You" became such a massive fan fave, but the spoken word section does help it stand out on the album. Of the tracks you didn't mention, I'm also really charmed by "Love" and "Every Little Part Of Me." Although I'm not a fan of the changes made in the single edit, it did help me re-discover/re-appreciate "A Lifetime To Repair."

Fan wrote:Oh no, I think the album is very good. Maybe a bit long, but definitely worth checking out. I enjoy it a lot. But 5 Dollars is definitely my highlight (atleast for now).
Ah, good to know! Is there a close second? I don't think I'll dive into the full album anytime soon (I've been focusing on Always In Between and Gaga's A Star Is Born songs, then Honey and Super Sunset aren't far off), but I'd be down to add another track or two from Chris (if they have your highly-regarded stamp of approval).

Fan wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe another time.

You didn't like Girls then? I really enjoyed that song as well, especially after seeing her perform it live.
Such a tease. :cry:

When/where did you get to see her? Was "Girls" her best performance of the set?

Fan wrote: HAHAHAHA. I knoww. It's just my friends making fun of it, haha.
Aw, I didn't realize you ran with the mean girls... ;)

Fan wrote:Good new entry for Allie X, she is releasing some very interesting stuff lately. I am loving Not So Bad In LA as well.
I'll have to revisit that one! None of the Super Sunset preview tracks were really sticking with me until she dropped "Little Things," but "Focus" has started growing on me since then. Did you check out/think much of CollXtion II? That was my first taste of Allie.

Thanks again, Fan! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:40 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Just checked out your #1. Didn't care much for it. :oops:
RIP :cry: Here I thought Allie stood a chance after "Casanova" had clicked with you. Thanks for giving it a try, though! It actually feels like a cousin to "Breathin" and "Get Well Soon" to me (in theme, anyway): addressing the struggle of managing many day-to-day anxieties. I also REALLY love that "death by a thousand cuts" hook! I think it was pretty brilliant of her to reference an ancient form of Chinese torture to illustrate how minor worries/gripes can accumulate to the point of being fatal/overwhelming. Such a gruesome visual, but an apropos analogy that hits home for me.

JSparksFan wrote:I'm happy that "With You" debuted as high as #6, though. From your reaction to it in my thread, I figured it might've missed the chart entirely. It might be safe to conclude that you appreciate "With You" more than I do "GTFO". :lol:
Aw :lol: I might've come off more harsh than intended there. I'm definitely less interested in it than "GTFO," but it's still enjoyable enough, and you've highlighted multiple times how her writing really shines throughout much of the track.

JSparksFan wrote:The whole crew seems to be charting "Diamond Heart". I don't think I'll be joining that bandwagon, though. :lol:
Ha, Alan Walker does have a surprisingly devoted fanbase around UKMIX, given that he hasn't had a HUGE presence on many official charts (at least not the US or UK). I don't fully get the hype around him, but he's done some interesting stuff (especially compared to what DOES have a huge presence on some official charts lately...)

Thanks again, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:50 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Hmm, the #1 is just ok for me, but #s 2-4 are great - really happy to see Ava Max in the top three as I discovered that from a couple other personal charts here - I think JakeP's? Disappointed Empress Of crashes so hard this week.
Aw, poor Allie's really striking out, but thanks for giving her a try! I’m definitely still enjoying "When I'm With Him," it's just falling by the wayside as new songs get released each week (and random events/conversations spark random re-entries, like the lovely one mentioned below):

cheapthrills wrote:But lots of other great debuts - Gaga! Diamond Heart! Polaroid! I Choose You!!! :o
That particular re-entry is ENTIRELY thanks to you! I hadn't revisited that beautiful song in far too long. It was among my Top 20 biggest hits of 2014.

cheapthrills wrote:I just noticed that few songs move UP on your chart - they either debut, re-enter, or move down. Looks like Terror Jr bucks the trend. I guess that is typical?
Ha, you've got me there! Admittedly, it does make my chart a bit less fun to follow (since there aren’t many opportunities for people to root for their favorite songs as they gradually rise week after week)...but because it's based on play counts, I like how each chart is basically a musical snapshot of that week in my life. Chart runs can be mighty messy, but they still help convey how a song fares with me over time.

Thanks again, cheapthrills! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:55 pm

JakeP wrote:Hello Paul :D
Hiya, Jake! :D

JakeP wrote:Yay! :P I'm so happy you made this discovery via mine and Akini's chart. I have to thank Sweden for their fabulous taste getting Ava to #1. Its such a strong unashamed pop song and i just love the fact a song like this could potentially be a big successful hit in the coming months.
SO random that it's smashing there (and basically ONLY in Scandinavia?) - which makes me even more grateful that you sought it out and gave it a chance, since those aren't charts I usually check myself! Maybe this is a sign that I should start...

JakeP wrote:So i checked this out on that Soundcloud link you posted in my thread and...i wasn't feeling it. :oops: :( I really wanted to enjoy the song but it just wasn't clicking, but there was one particular track from Troye's album that i also remember struggling to really connect with the song.

All Troye needs to do is give this song a gay disco remix and i'm sure i would become my inner diva and love the song, :lol:
Thanks for giving it a try! It definitely has a very different vibe from "My My My!" or "Bloom" (or even "Dance To This"), but acoustic guitar-driven tunes like "Running Shoes" really grab me sometimes. It seems to address some of his experiences/observations as a gay man, so a lot of the lyrics hit home too: "the beliefs they’re instilling, on the boys, on the children, on me..."

JakeP wrote:So how did this fare in the US billboard chart? I don't even know if that chart has been published yet, from what i can gather the US charts are like a week behind or something? :oops:
Sadly, it looks like Mariah won't be enjoying another Emancipation of Mimi-sized comeback anytime soon :cry: "With You" makes her 0-for-2 with Hot 100 hits this era.

JakeP wrote:Let's start with the obvious question "have you seen the film yet?" :lol: I just mentioned in Tansike's thread, i'm hopefully gonna see A star is born this Sunday so lets see how this pans out. :wink: Shallow remains as spine tinglingly amazing as ever. <3
Not yet. I do love Gaga, but I'm usually not into dramas, so I'll probably hold off until it's on Netflix or something (and just stick to the music for now...) ;)

I'd love to hear your thoughts if/when you do, though!

Thanks again, Jake! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:00 am

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 10/19/18

• Allie X continues to achieve big things as "Little Things" successfully secures a second week on top.

TW | LW | WKS ON | TITLE | ARTIST | PEAK | CERT

01 (01) 02 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (2) | [G]
02 (03) 02 | "Sweet But Psycho" - Ava Max | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Nevermind" - Jess Glynne | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Rollin" - Jess Glynne | 4
05 (24) 09 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [2xP]
06 (NE) 01 | "Never Let Me Go" - Jess Glynne | 6
07 (04) 04 | "Running Shoes" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | | [G]
08 (05) 06 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
09 (RE) 05 | "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" - Paloma Faith | 5 | [G]
10 (18) 02 | "Shallow" - Lady Gaga ft. Bradley Cooper | 10
11 (RE) 06 | "Crybaby" - Paloma Faith | 2 (1) | [P]
12 (RE) 03 | "Surrender" - Paloma Faith | 6
13 (NE) 01 | "Thursday" - Jess Glynne | 13
14 (RE) 05 | "Better Off" - Ariana Grande | 9 | [G]
15 (RE) 04 | "The Light Is Coming" - Ariana Grande ft. Nicki Minaj | 5 | [G]
16 (02) 03 | "A-OK (Everything's Perfect)" - Terror Jr | 2 (1) | [G]
17 (14) 02 | "Why Did You Do That?" - Lady Gaga | 14
18 (NE) 01 | "Hair Body Face" - Lady Gaga | 18
19 (NE) 01 | "Before I Cry" - Lady Gaga | 19
20 (RE) 06 | "All I Am" - Jess Glynne | 3 | [G]
21 (RE) 11 | "Greedy" - Ariana Grande | 9 | [P]
22 (11) 05 | "When I'm With Him" - Empress Of | 3 | [G]
23 (NE) 01 | "Heal Me" - Lady Gaga | 23
24 (NE) 01 | "Is That Alright?" - Lady Gaga | 24
25 (NE) 01 | "Always Remember Us This Way" - Lady Gaga | 25
26 (NE) 01 | "Look What I Found" - Lady Gaga | 26
27 (09) 09 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]
28 (06) 02 | "With You" - Mariah Carey | 6
29 (13) 05 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 6 | [G]
30 (RE) 13 | "Baby I" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [2xP]

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:08 am

I love all the Gaga! 7 songs! Is that the most she's charted at once? :) I hope you enjoy ASIB! I'm hoping Shallow benefits as a result of you seeing the movie.

Hoping either Ava or Jess can punch through to #1, but Allie X seem to really captured you with Little Things!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Fan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:31 pm

phoenix98 wrote:<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Sigala soiling your faves :cry: I think I can understand what you're saying, though: releasing subpar stuff (especially as singles) not only hands more ammunition to critics, but also feeds the misperception (among people who don't actually know an artist's catalog well) that they're not capable of greater depth/diversity/etc. Like how "What The Hell" convinced people that Avril had become a "juvenile," "bratty" pop/rock one-trick-pony, when the bulk of Goodbye Lullaby actually paints a VERY different picture. (I still love "What The Hell," though...) :lol:

xx

Yes, YeS, YES!!! I'm especially thrilled to see you mention "Stop Me From Falling" first, since that's become my most-played song on the album (and my most-played song of 2018, actually). "Dancing" isn't far behind, though! "Sincerely Yours" absolutely deserved more attention (it seemed like one of the most obvious single picks, particularly because it could've appeased people who aren't feeling her more country-tinged material). I don't fully understand how/why "Lost Without You" became such a massive fan fave, but the spoken word section does help it stand out on the album. Of the tracks you didn't mention, I'm also really charmed by "Love" and "Every Little Part Of Me." Although I'm not a fan of the changes made in the single edit, it did help me re-discover/re-appreciate "A Lifetime To Repair."

Ah, good to know! Is there a close second? I don't think I'll dive into the full album anytime soon (I've been focusing on Always In Between and Gaga's A Star Is Born songs, then Honey and Super Sunset aren't far off), but I'd be down to add another track or two from Chris (if they have your highly-regarded stamp of approval).

Such a tease. :cry:

When/where did you get to see her? Was "Girls" her best performance of the set?

Aw, I didn't realize you ran with the mean girls... ;)

I'll have to revisit that one! None of the Super Sunset preview tracks were really sticking with me until she dropped "Little Things," but "Focus" has started growing on me since then. Did you check out/think much of CollXtion II? That was my first taste of Allie.

Woo. Loving the rainbow parade <3

Oh my, I know right. He totally is. Watch him producing Britney's comeback single next or something, I would not be surprised :lol:
Yes, so true about Avril. Although I think that already happened with the release of Girlfriend, which is one of those songs everyone remembers her for these days. Like you said, I do like that song and What The Hell but Avril can do much much more. Like she proves with Head Above Water now as well.

Haha, I think Stop Me From Falling is my most-played song of the year now as well (although Robyn's Missing U is coming as a close second I think). So good to hear you are loving that one as well. The most perfect song for summer, loved the music video as well. Dancing is a TUNE as well, obviously. I think the whole Golden era has been glorious.
I think in general Kylie has been my most-played artist of the year. I even started listening to her Christmas record again this weelk, felt it was time for that. A Lifetime To Repair is a great tune as well.

My highly-regarded stamp of approval, love it. You are the best :P
I would add Girlfriend to the list, soo good. Makes Some Sense is another one of my favourites.
HONEY! I am soooo excited for that release.

I saw her in Amsterdam when she played over here in May. Girls was one of the highlights, as there was a lot of energy and she invited a bunch of people on stage, which was fun. In general her show was super good. She is a great performer! Body On Me was another highlight (just glad to hear it without Chris Brown) as was Anywhere.

I doooo :oops: As soon as I mention Steps, most of my friends start to laugh. My bf including (his music taste is the complete opposite of mine).

I have never checked that one out actually! Only her latest releases. I have been falling more and more in love with LIttle Things. What a great track. Good to see it staying another week at the top position. Your #2 is just as good as well, incredible top 2 mister!! Sweet But Psycho is glorious pop in it's purest form.

Make Your Own KInd Of Music <33 Loving Paloma ofcourse and I adore this song. Good to see some other Paloma songs re-appearing as well. I am still disappointed she didn't tour mainland Europe this era.

I see some more A Star Is Born songs. Always Remember Us This Way has to be my favourite of the bunch.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:51 pm

Lovely to see "Greedy" re-enter your chart. It just left the Ariana Grande Survivor being ranked #24.

Nice to see Ariana tracks and GaGa on your chart!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Good to know! I figure it's generally easier/less confusing for others when we stick to people's usernames (unless that person uses their real name for their chart or something else really obvious).

:o So most people you know in Switzerland don't have a middle name at all? I had no idea it was such a regional trend! Granted, it's not like having one is that necessary - in a lot of the cases I know, it's just used as a tribute to a deceased relative (or because the parents couldn't agree on the first name). :lol:
True. Well, in your case i think it's pretty obvious, isn't it? Because sometimes you're also calling yourself by your real name, or am i wrong?

Exactly! I know it's also a common thing in the Philippines, but as you say, the middle (or even the first) name is often a tribute to someone in the family (often a tribute to the parents). From what i've seen it's also getting more common in Switzerland to have two names. I wish i would have a middle name as well, because it feels so fancy :oops: (Plus my first name is quite basic over here :lol: )

phoenix98 wrote:**Nod** Getting to experience all that hype and excitement as it's unfolding (with each new video release, performance, single announcement, etc) can really help ingrain an era in your head (and heart).
Definitely! Though it can have a special experience when listening to 'old(er)' albums way after the release as well, just different. I still remember Dua's album in your case for example. So sometimes an album can have a big effect on someone even if it's not really current anymore.
(Speaking of Dua... i'm currently listening to her album 8-) )

phoenix98 wrote:Exactly! Since last.fm keeps track of every song's total plays for me, I'll just check those figures and post certs for the songs that actually make my chart each week (or any songs that someone specifically asks about). I don't constantly update the certs for every song in my spreadsheet with all the debut dates, peaks, and total weeks. It seems like you stay more on top of yours, because you keep track of their ongoing all-time point totals?
Ah okay, makes absolutely sense, because i imagine you'd go crazy tracking all plays / certs all the time. Yes, mine are always updated, but the way i'm doing it it's much easier. I 'only' have a weekly Top40 (and Top20 for albums) so i can add these points easily to my Excels (one with all the YECs and one with all Discographies). Both really have ALL chart entries ever included, though i have to say i don't have Discographies for every artist like i shared in the past on the second Excel, only from about 150 artists (probably half of them have an own spreadsheet each, the others - mostly little ones - are separated in four spreadsheets), the rest are separated in two spreadsheets, one for random singles and one for random albums. The random singles one has nearly 900 entries, and i have a filter there, so if i need all 'random' entries by one artist, it's quite easy to find them. From time to time, if one artists gathers several chart entries, i create a new spreadsheet and copy that stuff into that one; or i add that artist to the four spreadsheets with the 'little Discographies'... so yeah, this reply just got longer than i thought :oops: #nerdalert :oops:
Anyways, if you'd try to be up-to-date with all plays and all certs it would mean a lot of work, as I guess you're playing much more music than the ones from your personal charts, so you would have to check out LastFM all the time to be updated. I only have to check mine out once a week and take a few minutes (or maybe an hour or more...) to update everything.

phoenix98 wrote:Ugh, so true :x It deserved so much better (especially since it was released as the follow-up to her No. 1 smash "Say It Right" here). I can't remember exactly how the timing played out, but a part of the problem might've been that it got over-shadowed by "Give It To Me" (which was pretty huge here).
I also don't remember how she released the singles but i think she had different releases in every country. I guess the US was only here for her R&B-influenced songs...

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah, though I only gave the singles a listen or two (I never actually added any of the album to my library, since those first impressions were pretty underwhelming) :oops: Maybe they were growers that I never gave a chance to blossom...
Awww, that's actually quite sad, as it's easily my favorite album from her and even one of my favorite albums of all time (well, i don't really have a list, but probably Top50 or so). But this is yet another case of how everyone has their own taste :)

phoenix98 wrote: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Heartbreak aside, you're definitely not the first person to have that experience with her, especially outside the US. I know she enjoyed plenty of global success in the 90's, but nothing on-par with the MEGA-success she experienced in the States (18 No. 1 singles, 6 No. 1 albums, etc), so her status as a legacy (well, and still current) act probably isn't quite the same overseas. Granted, even with her many years of massive chart success here in the 90's and 00's, I'm not sure if American kids/teens these days have much respect for/interest in her anyway... :oops:
True. Not sure if this comparison fits but it just came to my mind: It's probably similar to Beyoncé. She's quite big in the US, but over here in Europe her status is not even nearly as big as in the US. Fair enough, she's still a successful artist, but there were artists over here with a bigger impact, for example Anastacia (or even Amy MacDonald in the German-speaking countries), while the US probably never even heard of them. Janet Jackson is another legend who isn't as 'legendary' in Europe as she is in the US.

phoenix98 wrote:It's one of the two Target/HMV-exclusive Bloom tracks. They came up in a conversation in Jake's thread, so I decided to hunt them down online and give them a listen. "This This" doesn't do a WHOLE lot for me, but "Running Shoes" quickly became one of my favorites across the entire album!
Thanks, I should check them out then. It's annoying how there are always 'Target editions' of albums which are only available in the US though :x

phoenix98 wrote:I definitely enjoy "GTFO" more, but "With You" has grown on me enough that it'll still enjoy a decent debut. I REALLY wasn't feeling the "with you, you, you" hook at first, but the lyrics have a way of sticking with you. I'd still hesitate to call the song "catchy" overall, but parts of it were randomly popping into my head from time-to-time.
Ah, so we're feeling the same, at least when it comes to our 'fave' of these two. I haven't heard "The Distance" yet as i'm waiting for the full album now, but i'm already excited to see how it will do on your charts :)

phoenix98 wrote: :o That's a really fitting comparison that hadn't crossed my mind! Sadly, I don't have high hopes for its Hot 100 success - but at least it stayed on the chart for a second week (*64* - 93) :lol: Which is kind of impressive given the massive influx of Lil Wayne tracks...
True! :( Anyways, i think considering she's been away for so many years, how badly her last era performed and what a song it is, she's doing quite fine and looking at its charts topic, the song is not over yet and keeps on increasing on streaming while staying stable on iTunes.

phoenix98 wrote:It absolutely was, so thanks for giving me a reason to re-visit it (and all of When The Sun Goes Down, actually). Let me round up her Top 10 hits (with and without The Scene):

"Naturally" = No. 1 (2) peak | 20 weeks total | [3xP]
"Love You Like A Love Song" = No. 1 (2) | 18 wks | [2xP]
"Dices" = No. 1 (1) | 15 wks | [2xP]
"Who Says" = No. 1 (1) | 15 wks | [3xP]
"Bad Liar" = No. 1 (1) | 7 wks | [P]
"Hands To Myself" = No. 3 | 10 wks | [P]
"Middle Of Nowhere" = No. 3 | 3 wks | [G]
"Slow Down" = No. 4 | 6 wks | [P]
"Same Old Love" = No. 4 | 5 wks | [G]
"My Dilemma" = No. 5 | 3 wks | [G]
"Fetish" = No. 6 | 4 wks
"Back To You" = No. 7 | 8 wks | [G]
"Good For You" = No. 8 | 3 wks

Ah, that's an interesting observation about LYLALS! 3xP and higher certs are really rare (just over 50 songs have passed the 3xP threshold, while 3,000+ songs have entered my chart over the years), so LYLALS is still among my Top 100 most-played-ever. Its run was: 26 - *1* - 1 - 13 - 6 - 19 - OUT - 26 - OUT - 16 - OUT - 5 - 9 - OUT - 24 - OUT - 29 - OUT - 15 - 11 - OUT - 25 - OUT - 30 - OUT - 10 - OUT - 11 - OUT. Many of those weeks were below the Top 10, which helps to explain its cert, but all of those re-entries show how it keeps me coming back after all these years. <3

Thanks again, Tancel! :D
<3

Thanks for that list! I love how "Naturally" is not only her longest-charting song, but also tied with "Who Says" when it comes to the highest certification. It's still my most favorite song ever by Selena Gomez (& The Scene). It's also very impressive how "Who Says" AND "Dices" were both that successful, while it's surprising to see how badly "Good For You" performed.
What do you think about her new collaboration "Taki Taki"? She's also likely to release yet another collaboration with Bad Bunny, Fergie and Prince Royce and i'm not really sure what to think about of the direction she's going :(

Thanks for the explanation and the chartrun for LYLALS - that's really interesting and of course, 3xP is still impressive. Since 3,000+ songs made your charts, what does over the years exactly mean? Did you start with this topic here (so in 2009) or did you already do a personal charts previously?

Awww i love 'Tancel' <3

phoenix98 wrote:Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 10/12/18

01 (NE) 01 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "Sweet But Psycho" - Ava Max | 3
05 (05) 05 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
06 (NE) 01 | "With You" - Mariah Carey | 6
08 (NE) 01 | "Without Me" - Halsey | 8
09 (RE) 08 | "Alone" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [P]
10 (14) 03 | "Let You Love Me" - Rita Ora | 10
12 (07) 15 | "Who Says" - Selena Gomez & The Scene | 1 (1) | [3xP]
13 (06) 04 | "Head Above Water" - Avril Lavigne | 6 | [G]
14 (NE) 01 | "Why Did You Do That?" - Lady Gaga | 14
15 (09) 03 | "They Don't Know" - Ariana Grande | 9
18 (NE) 01 | "Shallow" - Lady Gaga ft. Bradley Cooper | 18
23 (RE) 15 | "Colors" - Halsey | 1 (1) | [2xP]
24 (21) 08 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [P]
26 (NE) 01 | "Diamond Heart" - Alan Walker ft. Sophia Somajo | 26
28 (10) 11 | "Anywhere" - Rita Ora | 1 (1) | [P]
29 (26) 07 | "Your Song" - Rita Ora | 2 (1) | [G]
Time to catch up - at first the charts from a week ago!

Checked out your new number one as i wasn't familiar with it and i quite like it, though i'm not sure if it's something that will stick with me.
Great debut for Ava Max! It's so interesting how she became some kind of a phenomenon on UKMix. At first there was KokoCollino who was talking about her, no one really checked it out and out of a sudden it's appearing on several personal charts. I finally added it to my library last Friday and i'm enjoying it! :)

Obviously no surprise but i LOVE that entry for Halsey. #8 is amazing, especially with two songs by Mariah above. Does she have many Top10s now? Because iirc, her second album didn't really impress you when you checked it out apart from just a very few songs, while the debut made a better impact, right?

Love the debuts for Lady Gaga and "Diamond Heart" 8-)

phoenix98 wrote:Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 10/19/18

03 (NE) 01 | "Nevermind" - Jess Glynne | 3
04 (NE) 01 | "Rollin" - Jess Glynne | 4
06 (NE) 01 | "Never Let Me Go" - Jess Glynne | 6
09 (RE) 05 | "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" - Paloma Faith | 5 | [G]
11 (RE) 06 | "Crybaby" - Paloma Faith | 2 (1) | [P]
12 (RE) 03 | "Surrender" - Paloma Faith | 6
13 (NE) 01 | "Thursday" - Jess Glynne | 13
14 (RE) 05 | "Better Off" - Ariana Grande | 9 | [G]
15 (RE) 04 | "The Light Is Coming" - Ariana Grande ft. Nicki Minaj | 5 | [G]
18 (NE) 01 | "Hair Body Face" - Lady Gaga | 18
19 (NE) 01 | "Before I Cry" - Lady Gaga | 19
20 (RE) 06 | "All I Am" - Jess Glynne | 3 | [G]
21 (RE) 11 | "Greedy" - Ariana Grande | 9 | [P]
23 (NE) 01 | "Heal Me" - Lady Gaga | 23
24 (NE) 01 | "Is That Alright?" - Lady Gaga | 24
25 (NE) 01 | "Always Remember Us This Way" - Lady Gaga | 25
26 (NE) 01 | "Look What I Found" - Lady Gaga | 26
30 (RE) 13 | "Baby I" - Ariana Grande | 1 (1) | [2xP]
Only quoting the new/re-entries here.
Good to see Jess having some success with her second album! While i heard it a few times, i haven't found a favorite track yet, most of it sounds on a similar level to me.

Great re-entries for Paloma. The new "Loyal" is quite good, so i'm surprised it hasn't appeared on your charts yet.

Love those re-entries for Ariana this week and how Gaga's soundtrack songs are flooding your charts <3
Tansike
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:30 pm

cheapthrills wrote:I love all the Gaga! 7 songs! Is that the most she's charted at once? :) I hope you enjoy ASIB! I'm hoping Shallow benefits as a result of you seeing the movie.
Ooh...fun chart history question! After a bit of digging, it looks like Gaga's personal best has been 20/30 following the release of ARTPOP, but she managed 7+ entries during the first few weeks after Born This Way and Joanne came out as well.

A Star Is Born is still on my "To See" list (though not at the top, admittedly) :oops: so the soundtrack material won't be getting much higher (for now...)

cheapthrills wrote:Hoping either Ava or Jess can punch through to #1, but Allie X seem to really captured you with Little Things!
I don't think No. 1 is in the cards for Ava, but Jess has a real fighting chance, since I've been getting even more into Always In Between during my second week with it!

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:40 pm

Fan wrote:Woo. Loving the rainbow parade <3
Glad you enjoyed that 8-) You'd mentioned that you've organized some actual parades/marches in the past, right? I remember being impressed by your real-world activism. <3

Fan wrote:Oh my, I know right. He totally is. Watch him producing Britney's comeback single next or something, I would not be surprised :lol:
Yes, so true about Avril. Although I think that already happened with the release of Girlfriend, which is one of those songs everyone remembers her for these days. Like you said, I do like that song and What The Hell but Avril can do much much more. Like she proves with Head Above Water now as well.
True, though it felt like people were more willing to embrace/forgive that "regression" in sound/maturity at the time, and it was treated like a comeback for her...but when she tried the same shtick again with "What The Hell," people really believed that's ALL she could come up with anymore, and it didn't perform nearly as well. I'm still a sucker for both songs, though :lol: It'll be interesting to see how "Head Above Water" compares to the rest of the album. "Girlfriend" was a fitting introduction to The Best Damn Thing, but "What The Hell" (and "Smile," though I love that one too) sound QUITE out-of-place on Goodbye Lullaby.

Fan wrote:Haha, I think Stop Me From Falling is my most-played song of the year now as well (although Robyn's Missing U is coming as a close second I think). So good to hear you are loving that one as well. The most perfect song for summer, loved the music video as well. Dancing is a TUNE as well, obviously. I think the whole Golden era has been glorious.

I think in general Kylie has been my most-played artist of the year. I even started listening to her Christmas record again this weelk, felt it was time for that. A Lifetime To Repair is a great tune as well.
YES!!!! Everything you're saying is like music to my ears - though I didn't realize that "Missing U" had connected with you so strongly! I was a bit underwhelmed (it might just be too subtle/understated for my tastes), but I've still got hope for Honey!

Kylie's slightly behind Janet when it comes to my most-played-artists of 2018, due to Akini's epic tribute earlier this year. Kylie will almost certainly catch up before December 31st, though (especially once year-end-countdown hype/reminiscing begins).

Fan wrote:My highly-regarded stamp of approval, love it. You are the best :P

I would add Girlfriend to the list, soo good. Makes Some Sense is another one of my favourites.
You provide an excellent blueprint, obviously! ;)

I added "Girlfriend" back when it first dropped, and it's been my least-favorite of the three preview tracks :oops: I just added "Make Some Sense," so thanks for that suggestion!

Fan wrote:I saw her in Amsterdam when she played over here in May. Girls was one of the highlights, as there was a lot of energy and she invited a bunch of people on stage, which was fun. In general her show was super good. She is a great performer! Body On Me was another highlight (just glad to hear it without Chris Brown) as was Anywhere.
Aw, that sounds like a really fun, fitting way to embrace the message/spirit of that song! Were you among the lucky bunch invited on stage (or was it ladies-only)? Also: yes PLZ to a CB-free version of "Body On Me."

Fan wrote:I doooo :oops: As soon as I mention Steps, most of my friends start to laugh. My bf including (his music taste is the complete opposite of mine).
**Sigh** Well, I guess it's easier to fall in with that crowd when one is as stunningly gorgeous as you are. I'll have to do what I can to keep you grounded...

Fan wrote:I have never checked that one out actually! Only her latest releases. I have been falling more and more in love with LIttle Things. What a great track. Good to see it staying another week at the top position. Your #2 is just as good as well, incredible top 2 mister!! Sweet But Psycho is glorious pop in it's purest form.
So many kind words :cry: :cry: :cry: Are you buttering me up for something...?

Fan wrote:Make Your Own KInd Of Music <33 Loving Paloma ofcourse and I adore this song. Good to see some other Paloma songs re-appearing as well. I am still disappointed she didn't tour mainland Europe this era.
Bummer. Have you ever seen her live before?

Fan wrote:I see some more A Star Is Born songs. Always Remember Us This Way has to be my favourite of the bunch.
I wanted to give Gaga's contributions a try, but much of the material isn't really up my alley :oops: She sounds great, but I don't think these songs have a particularly bright future on my chart (at least not until I see the movie...maybe...)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:45 pm

Mainshow wrote:Lovely to see "Greedy" re-enter your chart. It just left the Ariana Grande Survivor being ranked #24.

Nice to see Ariana tracks and GaGa on your chart!
It hurts my heart to see so many favorites falling :cry: but I try to focus on the bright side: they managed to land inside the Top 30, which isn't too shabby for a Survivor with 78 options.

You can definitely count on more Ari offerings popping up here thanks to the dual-Survivor-effect!

Thanks again, Mainshow! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Tansike wrote:True. Well, in your case i think it's pretty obvious, isn't it? Because sometimes you're also calling yourself by your real name, or am i wrong?

Exactly! I know it's also a common thing in the Philippines, but as you say, the middle (or even the first) name is often a tribute to someone in the family (often a tribute to the parents). From what i've seen it's also getting more common in Switzerland to have two names. I wish i would have a middle name as well, because it feels so fancy :oops: (Plus my first name is quite basic over here :lol: )
Ha, yeah - I might be forgetting some instances, but I don't think I've ever actually referred to myself as "phoenix" in any posts. :lol:

Aw, I'm sure you're plenty posh even without one! Does your man have a middle name? You might not want to share exactly what it is to protect his identity - but if he does, was it inspired by a relative, or...?

Tansike wrote:Definitely! Though it can have a special experience when listening to 'old(er)' albums way after the release as well, just different. I still remember Dua's album in your case for example. So sometimes an album can have a big effect on someone even if it's not really current anymore.
(Speaking of Dua... i'm currently listening to her album 8-) )
:o Could that mean...it's growing on you??? Did the BLACKPINK collabo change your mind? ;) That's a great example, though! Even though I wasn't paying ANY attention to "Last Dance," "Hotter Than Hell," etc. when they were current singles, they still really stood out/stole my heart once I finally dove into her album (long after they'd left the charts).

Tansike wrote:Ah okay, makes absolutely sense, because i imagine you'd go crazy tracking all plays / certs all the time. Yes, mine are always updated, but the way i'm doing it it's much easier. I 'only' have a weekly Top40 (and Top20 for albums) so i can add these points easily to my Excels (one with all the YECs and one with all Discographies). Both really have ALL chart entries ever included, though i have to say i don't have Discographies for every artist like i shared in the past on the second Excel, only from about 150 artists (probably half of them have an own spreadsheet each, the others - mostly little ones - are separated in four spreadsheets), the rest are separated in two spreadsheets, one for random singles and one for random albums. The random singles one has nearly 900 entries, and i have a filter there, so if i need all 'random' entries by one artist, it's quite easy to find them. From time to time, if one artists gathers several chart entries, i create a new spreadsheet and copy that stuff into that one; or i add that artist to the four spreadsheets with the 'little Discographies'... so yeah, this reply just got longer than i thought :oops: #nerdalert :oops:

Anyways, if you'd try to be up-to-date with all plays and all certs it would mean a lot of work, as I guess you're playing much more music than the ones from your personal charts, so you would have to check out LastFM all the time to be updated. I only have to check mine out once a week and take a few minutes (or maybe an hour or more...) to update everything.
:o Damn, you've got some mad organization (especially Excel) skills! Ha, not nerdy - totally adorkable AND seriously useful in plenty of real-world/more-than-just-personal-chart situations! No wonder your boss lets you ramble on for hours every morning, if you're bringing skills like that to the table...

Exactly! You got it.

Tansike wrote:I also don't remember how she released the singles but i think she had different releases in every country. I guess the US was only here for her R&B-influenced songs...
Yeah, the main singles in the US were: "Promiscuous," "Maneater," "Say It Right," "All Good Things (Come To An End)," and "Do It." Some of the Spanish songs might've been sent to Spanish stations, and "In God's Hands" got that random Keith Urban duet version WAY after the era had already fizzled out. In the UK, I'm pretty sure the first four were flipped in release order: "Maneater," "Promiscuous," "All Good Things," then "Say It Right" - but I'm not sure how much that varied across other European markets.

Tansike wrote:Awww, that's actually quite sad, as it's easily my favorite album from her and even one of my favorite albums of all time (well, i don't really have a list, but probably Top50 or so). But this is yet another case of how everyone has their own taste :)
:o Woah! I remember its singles doing well on your chart, but I didn't realize you felt THAT strongly about the album overall! I think I've already said "I should check that album out sometime/I'll add it to my 'to-do' list" about so many different albums that it's started to lose meaning :lol: but the fact that you're THAT enthusiastic about Storyteller should stick in my mind!

Tansike wrote:True. Not sure if this comparison fits but it just came to my mind: It's probably similar to Beyoncé. She's quite big in the US, but over here in Europe her status is not even nearly as big as in the US. Fair enough, she's still a successful artist, but there were artists over here with a bigger impact, for example Anastacia (or even Amy MacDonald in the German-speaking countries), while the US probably never even heard of them. Janet Jackson is another legend who isn't as 'legendary' in Europe as she is in the US.
Yeah, I remember reading that she was mostly just seen as "Michael's little sister" for a longer time abroad (even after she'd really broken out/established herself as a star in her own right with Control and Rhythm Nation 1814 in the States).

Anastacia is a great example, and sadly, there's SO many others with lengthy, successful careers across several international markets who never got to shine in the States :( Robbie Williams leaps to mind...

Tansike wrote:Thanks, I should check them out then. It's annoying how there are always 'Target editions' of albums which are only available in the US though :x
**Nod** It's a shame to deny so many fans across the globe a chance to hear more of their music. At least in this case, HMV also carried an edition of Bloom with the same two bonus tracks (though I think they only have stores in the UK now...?)

Tansike wrote:Ah, so we're feeling the same, at least when it comes to our 'fave' of these two. I haven't heard "The Distance" yet as i'm waiting for the full album now, but i'm already excited to see how it will do on your charts :)
The first 50ish seconds of "The Distance" are so strong...but then it kind of loses steam and never quite picks up again. Caution hype has me playing through all three available tracks pretty often, though, and I LOVE that you're planning to check out Caution in full too! :D

Tansike wrote:Thanks for that list! I love how "Naturally" is not only her longest-charting song, but also tied with "Who Says" when it comes to the highest certification. It's still my most favorite song ever by Selena Gomez (& The Scene). It's also very impressive how "Who Says" AND "Dices" were both that successful, while it's surprising to see how badly "Good For You" performed.

What do you think about her new collaboration "Taki Taki"? She's also likely to release yet another collaboration with Bad Bunny, Fergie and Prince Royce and i'm not really sure what to think about of the direction she's going :(

Thanks for the explanation and the chartrun for LYLALS - that's really interesting and of course, 3xP is still impressive. Since 3,000+ songs made your charts, what does over the years exactly mean? Did you start with this topic here (so in 2009) or did you already do a personal charts previously?
YES! I didn't realize (but am SO glad to hear) that "Naturally" has such a special place in your heart too <3 Ha, yeah, I think "Who Says"/"Dices" is the only example of a song that's ever gone to No. 1 in two different languages. "Good For You" wasn't quite my speed. :oops:

Ha, well...after a poor first impression, I pretty much dismissed "Taki Taki" and haven't returned to it since :lol: I should at least add it to see if it's a grower, but since Selena's not even the lead/it doesn't feel like "her" song, I don't feel as bad about just saying "pass."

Ha, sorry - sometimes I'll add more words in an attempt to be more clear/thorough, but I just end up making my point even harder to understand :lol: I just meant that 3,000+ different songs have appeared since my chart began back in 2009.

Tansike wrote:Great debut for Ava Max! It's so interesting how she became some kind of a phenomenon on UKMix. At first there was KokoCollino who was talking about her, no one really checked it out and out of a sudden it's appearing on several personal charts. I finally added it to my library last Friday and i'm enjoying it! :)
She really has! OoOh...I didn't know that Koko was the first one to spread the good word of Ava around here, so many thanks to Koko for getting that fire started!

Tansike wrote:Obviously no surprise but i LOVE that entry for Halsey. #8 is amazing, especially with two songs by Mariah above. Does she have many Top10s now? Because iirc, her second album didn't really impress you when you checked it out apart from just a very few songs, while the debut made a better impact, right?
I've never heard Badlands in full :oops: Just "Colors" (and maybe some of the other singles?), after seeing it on Akini's chart. Her Top 10's have been:

"Colors" = No. 1 (1) peak | 15 weeks total | [2xP]
"Alone" = No. 1 (1) | 9 wks | [P]
"100 Letters" = No. 6 | 2 wks
"Hopeless" = No. 6 | 2 wks
"Without Me" = No. 8 | 1 wk
"Now Or Never" = No. 13 | 9 wks | [G] | (Not Top 10, but worth mentioning for its longevity)

As a featured guest:

"Closer" = No. 1 (3) peak | 14 weeks total | [2xP]

Tansike wrote:Good to see Jess having some success with her second album! While i heard it a few times, i haven't found a favorite track yet, most of it sounds on a similar level to me.
Hmmm...I guess that's good, if it means the album is consistently enjoyable? Or does it mean the album sounds too same-y and just blurs together? :lol:

Tansike wrote:Great re-entries for Paloma. The new "Loyal" is quite good, so i'm surprised it hasn't appeared on your charts yet.
Sadly, "Loyal" isn't really clicking with me, but it got me in the mood to revisit The Architect.

Tansike wrote:Love those re-entries for Ariana this week and how Gaga's soundtrack songs are flooding your charts <3
The double-Survivor-effect! ;)

Thanks again, Marsike! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 10/26/18

• "It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)," the latest preview track from The 1975's impending third LP, begins life right at the top and becomes their third No. 1 overall.

01 (NE) 01 | "It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)" - The 1975 | 1 (1)
02 (03) 02 | "Nevermind" - Jess Glynne | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "The Distance" - Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 3
04 (06) 02 | "Never Let Me Go" - Jess Glynne | 4
05 (01) 03 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (2) | [G]
06 (RE) 09 | "TOOTIMETOOTIMETOOTIME" - The 1975 | 1 (1) | [P]
07 (04) 02 | "Rollin" - Jess Glynne | 4
08 (NE) 01 | "Ruin My Life" - Zara Larsson | 8
09 (NE) 01 | "Kiss And Make Up" - Dua Lipa ft. BLACKPINK | 9
10 (RE) 06 | "Breathin" - Ariana Grande | 3 | [P]
11 (20) 07 | "All I Am" - Jess Glynne | 3 | [P]
12 (08) 07 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
13 (13) 02 | "Thursday" - Jess Glynne | 13
14 (NE) 01 | "Hate/Love" - Jess Glynne | 14
15 (NE) 01 | "Won't Say No" - Jess Glynne | 15
16 (28) 03 | "With You" - Mariah Carey | 6
17 (11) 07 | "Crybaby" - Paloma Faith | 2 (1) | [P]
18 (09) 06 | "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" - Paloma Faith | 5 | [G]
19 (NE) 01 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 19
20 (07) 05 | "Running Shoes" - Troye Sivan | 1 (1) | [G]
21 (RE) 03 | "Sincerity Is Scary" - The 1975 | 15
22 (RE) 05 | "Get Well Soon" - Ariana Grande | 10
23 (RE) 22 | "Lights" - Ellie Goulding | 5 | [2xP]
24 (RE) 06 | "Everytime" - Ariana Grande | 8 | [G]
25 (NE) 01 | "These Days" - Rudimental ft. Jess Glynne, Macklemore, & Dan Caplen | 25
26 (RE) 06 | "Love It If We Made It" - The 1975 | 3 | [G]
27 (02) 03 | "Sweet But Psycho" - Ava Max | 2 (1)
28 (RE) 11 | "As If It's Your Last" - BLACKPINK | 1 (1) | [P]
29 (05) 10 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [2xP]
30 (NE) 01 | "123" - Jess Glynne | 30

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:00 am

Your #1 isn't bad, but I much prefer your #2! I feel like Jess Glynne's songs always have an uplifting, 'don't be so hard on yourself' theme. Maybe I should check out her most recent LP.

01 (NE) 01 | "It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)" - The 1975 | 1 (1)
02 (03) 02 | "Nevermind" - Jess Glynne | 2 (1)
03 (NE) 01 | "The Distance" - Mariah Carey ft. Ty Dolla $ign | 3
05 (01) 03 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (2) | [G]
10 (RE) 06 | "Breathin" - Ariana Grande | 3 | [P]
11 (20) 07 | "All I Am" - Jess Glynne | 3 | [P]
12 (08) 07 | "GTFO" - Mariah Carey | 1 (2) | [P]
16 (28) 03 | "With You" - Mariah Carey | 6
22 (RE) 05 | "Get Well Soon" - Ariana Grande | 10
23 (RE) 22 | "Lights" - Ellie Goulding | 5 | [2xP]
24 (RE) 06 | "Everytime" - Ariana Grande | 8 | [G]
27 (02) 03 | "Sweet But Psycho" - Ava Max | 2 (1)
29 (05) 10 | "Goodnight N Go" - Ariana Grande | 1 (3) | [2xP]

phoenix98 wrote:RIP :cry: Here I thought Allie stood a chance after "Casanova" had clicked with you. Thanks for giving it a try, though! It actually feels like a cousin to "Breathin" and "Get Well Soon" to me (in theme, anyway): addressing the struggle of managing many day-to-day anxieties. I also REALLY love that "death by a thousand cuts" hook! I think it was pretty brilliant of her to reference an ancient form of Chinese torture to illustrate how minor worries/gripes can accumulate to the point of being fatal/overwhelming. Such a gruesome visual, but an apropos analogy that hits home for me.
Okay, I like it now. Thanks! <3
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby GaGarazzi » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:46 am

Allie X's new album (should really be an EP really) has been released today. Curious to see how how it affects your charts.
Little Things finally clicked for me today and I've been listening to it non-stop. It seems like we're the only Allie X stans on Ukmix :P
GaGarazzi
Manager

Postby Fan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 pm

phoenix98 wrote:
Glad you enjoyed that 8-) You'd mentioned that you've organized some actual parades/marches in the past, right? I remember being impressed by your real-world activism. <3

True, though it felt like people were more willing to embrace/forgive that "regression" in sound/maturity at the time, and it was treated like a comeback for her...but when she tried the same shtick again with "What The Hell," people really believed that's ALL she could come up with anymore, and it didn't perform nearly as well. I'm still a sucker for both songs, though :lol: It'll be interesting to see how "Head Above Water" compares to the rest of the album. "Girlfriend" was a fitting introduction to The Best Damn Thing, but "What The Hell" (and "Smile," though I love that one too) sound QUITE out-of-place on Goodbye Lullaby.

YES!!!! Everything you're saying is like music to my ears - though I didn't realize that "Missing U" had connected with you so strongly! I was a bit underwhelmed (it might just be too subtle/understated for my tastes), but I've still got hope for Honey!

Kylie's slightly behind Janet when it comes to my most-played-artists of 2018, due to Akini's epic tribute earlier this year. Kylie will almost certainly catch up before December 31st, though (especially once year-end-countdown hype/reminiscing begins).

You provide an excellent blueprint, obviously! ;)

I added "Girlfriend" back when it first dropped, and it's been my least-favorite of the three preview tracks :oops: I just added "Make Some Sense," so thanks for that suggestion!

Aw, that sounds like a really fun, fitting way to embrace the message/spirit of that song! Were you among the lucky bunch invited on stage (or was it ladies-only)? Also: yes PLZ to a CB-free version of "Body On Me."

**Sigh** Well, I guess it's easier to fall in with that crowd when one is as stunningly gorgeous as you are. I'll have to do what I can to keep you grounded...

So many kind words :cry: :cry: :cry: Are you buttering me up for something...?

Bummer. Have you ever seen her live before?

I wanted to give Gaga's contributions a try, but much of the material isn't really up my alley :oops: She sounds great, but I don't think these songs have a particularly bright future on my chart (at least not until I see the movie...maybe...)

I did indeed!! Good memory you have, haha. I organised a Pride march last year, this year has been a bit more quiet on that front although I am still the chairman of the LGBT+-network at my workplace and we have been busy with that as well.

That is certainly true, basically everything you said about Avril. Girlfriend gave the perfect impression of the rest of the record, I remember absolutely loving that when it came out but it has aged quite badly. Or maybe I have just become older and am I less interested in that kind of music :lol: Is there actually any news when we can expect the album? Or a second single?

:D :D Yaay!
Ah, I think Missing U may be my favourite song of the year. It just really grabbed me, very instantly, and I still love it as much as the time I heard it for the first time <3
Janet is great as well, although she is not someone I listen to very very often. I kind of forget about her from time to time, having said that, I enjoyed her comeback song this year very much.

Ah shame!! I am curious to hear your opinion about Make Some Sense!

I wasn't invited, haha :lol: Was in the back of the audience, and I don't think I am the type of person that would like to be on stage very much. Although it would be very fun to have a little boogie with Rita ofcourse. She is coming back next year, so maybe that could be my chance!!

:lol: :lol: , you have indeed. Getting so many compliments in here <3

I saw her during her last tour, I think it must have been around three years ago! Was a lot of fun, she is a great performer and has a fun personality.

Shame!! I am loving a few of the songs, just not that much into the solo-Ally songs. A bit too generic for my taste.

I just played your 1, as I hadn't heard it before. Good song indeed! Nice to see Dua x BLACKPINK entering as well- quite an unexpected collaboration but it works very well. Nice to see some extra love for As If It's Your Last <3
BOO for Ava dropping so much though :(
Fan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:17 pm

I'm going to have to check out Jess Glynn. I remember liking her previous stuff, but she doesn't get as much attention here in the states unfortunately.

Also, have to say I love the new 1975 track - it sounds a bit nostalgic and mellow - good for this time of year. :)

Disappointed to see Ava crash so hard as I had just started getting into it. :(

Also enjoying the new Ellie Goulding! I prefer her upbeat! And I think Swae Lee sounds great on this.

Yet another chart that will age well, phoenix
LOL, that was my attempt at closing like you. You do it better :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:45 am

JSparksFan wrote:Your #1 isn't bad, but I much prefer your #2! I feel like Jess Glynne's songs always have an uplifting, 'don't be so hard on yourself' theme. Maybe I should check out her most recent LP.
I can't remember if I've ever heard your thoughts on Jess before, so I'm really happy to learn that she does something for you! :D

Critics haven't been SUPER kind, and her (successful, at least in the UK) brand of "watered-down"/radio-ready pop/soul does make her a somewhat easy target, but Always In Between really works for me! I didn't pay much attention to her debut (aside from "Hold My Hand" and some of her guest appearances, like "Rather Be"), but the first two AIB singles caught my ear, and I was pleased to discover several other replay-worthy moments on the album. It grew on me even more during my second week with it, as some of the tracks that seemed skippable at first ("Hate/Love," "Won't Say No") started to show their individual charms. There's still a handful of moments I would've cut (especially on the somewhat-lengthy deluxe edition), but the number of keepers (aside from the singles) was a pleasant surprise!

JSparksFan wrote:Okay, I like it now. Thanks! <3
:o I seriously didn't expect my response to have such an impact, but I'm SO glad it did! Maybe I have better salesmanship than I realize...

Thanks again, Akini! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:50 am

GaGarazzi wrote:Allie X's new album (should really be an EP really) has been released today. Curious to see how how it affects your charts.
Little Things finally clicked for me today and I've been listening to it non-stop. It seems like we're the only Allie X stans on Ukmix :P
Hey GaGarazzi :D Many thanks for stopping by (and showing some solidarity for poor Allie). <3

Ha, you're definitely right about it being more of an EP than an LP :lol: The actual release date wasn't quite as exciting/signifcant when there were only two interludes and one full track left to hear for the first time (since she dropped the "Girl Of The Year" lyric video just a couple days before). I love that you're loving "Little Things" too - that's easily been the standout for me - but "Girl Of The Year" is on course for a splashy debut too. "Focus" has a really soothing effect, but I don't usually put such mellow tunes in high rotation, so it might not make much of a dent here.

Thanks again, GaGarazzi! :D
phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:00 am

Fan wrote:I did indeed!! Good memory you have, haha. I organised a Pride march last year, this year has been a bit more quiet on that front although I am still the chairman of the LGBT+-network at my workplace and we have been busy with that as well.
Granted, you've had your hands full with other things this year. Well, with a particular person's thing, at least...

Kidding (but not kidding) aside, is that network mostly about organizing fun at-work/after-work events, or maintaining visibility/equality at your workplace (in terms of changing polices, fighting discrimination, etc.)? Bit of everything?

Fan wrote:That is certainly true, basically everything you said about Avril. Girlfriend gave the perfect impression of the rest of the record, I remember absolutely loving that when it came out but it has aged quite badly. Or maybe I have just become older and am I less interested in that kind of music :lol: Is there actually any news when we can expect the album? Or a second single?
Ha, it's funny - on one hand, the brattiness/punk-lite attitude on that album can seem increasingly juvenile/tiresome as I get older, but a part of me also appreciates that energy/spunkiness even more. It can be fun to recapture/live vicariously through "immature" music like that sometimes (or a lot of the time...) :lol:

I haven't seen anything about a follow-up single or album release date, but I'm not the best about following artists' Twitter, Instagram, etc., so I may be out-of-the-loop. I often rely on people opening threads here on UKMIX. :lol:

Fan wrote: :D :D Yaay!
Ah, I think Missing U may be my favourite song of the year. It just really grabbed me, very instantly, and I still love it as much as the time I heard it for the first time <3 Janet is great as well, although she is not someone I listen to very very often. I kind of forget about her from time to time, having said that, I enjoyed her comeback song this year very much.
:o Woah! I was surprised when "Missing U" sounded like close competition for some of Kylie's 2018 offerings, and now it seems like your clear winner? On that note, I need to hear your thoughts on the rest of Honey ASAP (plz).

Too rude about you "forgetting" Janet :cry: but you're not the first person to share similar sentiments, and I know her status abroad isn't/has never really been quite the same as the US.

Fan wrote: Ah shame!! I am curious to hear your opinion about "Make Some Sense"!
I love it! SUCH a spot-on recommendation, sir. It's sure to enjoy a strong debut on my next chart...

Fan wrote:I wasn't invited, haha :lol: Was in the back of the audience, and I don't think I am the type of person that would like to be on stage very much. Although it would be very fun to have a little boogie with Rita ofcourse. She is coming back next year, so maybe that could be my chance!!
Rita probably just didn't want you stealing her spotlight/upstaging her moves ;) Way in the back, eh? Was that so you and your man could engage in all kinds of unspeakable acts...?

Fan wrote: :lol: :lol: , you have indeed. Getting so many compliments in here <3
You earn them so effortlessly. 8-)

Fan wrote:I saw her during her last tour, I think it must have been around three years ago! Was a lot of fun, she is a great performer and has a fun personality.
Good to know! I hadn't really thought of her as a dancer/"performer" in that sense, but it sounds like she manages to fill the stage with her charm?

Fan wrote:Shame!! I am loving a few of the songs, just not that much into the solo-Ally songs. A bit too generic for my taste.
Damn, those were the songs that came the closest to winning me over :lol: Granted, getting some story-context for these tracks by actually seeing the movie could change things, so I can't properly evaluate them until that happens. I just know that I'm not too compelled to replay them right now... :oops:

Fan wrote:I just played your 1, as I hadn't heard it before. Good song indeed! Nice to see Dua x BLACKPINK entering as well- quite an unexpected collaboration but it works very well. Nice to see some extra love for As If It's Your Last <3

BOO for Ava dropping so much though :(
YES! Here's hoping Dua starts a trend of English + K-Pop hybrids (and just greater mainstream visibility for K-Pop in general, really).

Ava will enjoy a nice Halloween boost on my next chart, but I'm not sure how long she'll stick around after that. I've always been fairly ADD with my listening habits, and Apple Music just makes it even easier to explore something (or many things) new on a whim. Not to mention any older stuff that I get randomly inspired to re-visit...

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:15 am

cheapthrills wrote:I'm going to have to check out Jess Glynn. I remember liking her previous stuff, but she doesn't get as much attention here in the states unfortunately.
Ugh, SO true :cry: I was just thinking about this over in Tansike's thread the other week, but there's WAY too many UK acts who have plenty of mainstream/hit potential but never manage to take off in the States, and I REALLY don't understand why (Jess, Rita Ora, Little Mix, Cheryl, Years & Years, and many more...)

cheapthrills wrote:Also, have to say I love the new 1975 track - it sounds a bit nostalgic and mellow - good for this time of year. :)
:o You "love" it?! YES! Truly thrilled to hear that! This might just be me, but the melody in the chorus (when they sing the title line) always make me think of "oooh, heaven is a place on earth..." <3

cheapthrills wrote:Disappointed to see Ava crash so hard as I had just started getting into it. :(
She'll enjoy a nice Halloween-hype rebound on my next chart, but I'm not sure what the future holds for her beyond that...

cheapthrills wrote:Also enjoying the new Ellie Goulding! I prefer her upbeat! And I think Swae Lee sounds great on this.
I'm not too crazy about some of Swae's lines, but I'm surprised that the song's off to such a slow start in the UK :-? "On My Mind" debuted at No. 7, "Burn" at No. 1, "Anything Could Happen" at No. 5...yet No. 36 for this? The public better not have turned their backs on Ellie already! :x

cheapthrills wrote:Yet another chart that will age well, phoenix LOL, that was my attempt at closing like you. You do it better :lol:
:lol: That's seriously better than most of the lines I come up with! Don't go beating me at my own game now. ;)

phoenix98
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:30 am

Paulboard Top 30
Chart Date: 11/02/18

• 2018 continues to bring Allie X lots of luck as she nabs her second No. 1 with "Girl Of The Year."

01 (NE) 01 | "Girl Of The Year" - Allie X | 1 (1)
02 (NE) 01 | "Make Some Sense" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (1)
03 (27) 04 | "Sweet But Psycho" - Ava Max | 2 (1) | [G]
04 (05) 04 | "Little Things" - Allie X | 1 (2) | [P]
05 (01) 02 | "It's Not Living (If It's Not With You)" - The 1975 | 1 (1)
06 (NE) 01 | "Party For One" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 6
07 (NE) 01 | "Between The Lines" - Robyn | 7
08 (NE) 01 | "Loyal" - Paloma Faith | 8
09 (NE) 01 | "Because It's In The Music" - Robyn | 9
10 (08) 02 | "Ruin My Life" - Zara Larsson | 8
11 (19) 02 | "Close To Me" - Ellie Goulding ft. Diplo & Swae Lee | 11
12 (02) 03 | "Nevermind" - Jess Glynne | 2 (1) | [G]
13 (RE) 05 | "5 Dollars" - Christine And The Queens | 2 (1) | [G]
14 (NE) 01 | "Beach 2k20" - Robyn | 14
15 (NE) 01 | "Ever Again" - Robyn | 15
16 (RE) 11 | "Lost And Found" - Ellie Goulding | 1 (1) | [P]
17 (RE) 04 | "Dead In The Water" - Ellie Goulding | 10 | [G]
18 (RE) 08 | "Graves" - CHVRCHES | 1 (3) | [P]
19 (RE) 11 | "Monster" - Lady Gaga | 2 (1) | [P]
20 (RE) 08 | "Cut To The Feeling" - Carly Rae Jepsen | 1 (1) | [P]
21 (NE) 01 | "Baby Forgive Me" - Robyn | 21
22 (RE) 03 | "Honey" - Robyn | 22
23 (RE) 16 | "Something In The Way You Move" - Ellie Goulding | 3 | [2xP]
24 (RE) 12 | "We Can't Move To This" - Ellie Goulding | 2 (1) | [P]
25 (18) 07 | "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" - Paloma Faith | 5 | [G]
26 (04) 03 | "Never Let Me Go" - Jess Glynne | 4
27 (NE) 01 | "Send To Robyn Immediately" - Robyn | 27
28 (RE) 08 | "My Blood" - Ellie Goulding | 3 | [P]
29 (RE) 03 | "Missing U" - Robyn | 10
30 (15) 02 | "Won't Say No" - Jess Glynne | 15

[GOLD] = 25+ total plays
[PLAT] = 50+ total plays
phoenix98
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:33 pm

phoenix98 wrote:Granted, you've had your hands full with other things this year. Well, with a particular person's thing, at least...

Kidding (but not kidding) aside, is that network mostly about organizing fun at-work/after-work events, or maintaining visibility/equality at your workplace (in terms of changing polices, fighting discrimination, etc.)? Bit of everything?

Ha, it's funny - on one hand, the brattiness/punk-lite attitude on that album can seem increasingly juvenile/tiresome as I get older, but a part of me also appreciates that energy/spunkiness even more. It can be fun to recapture/live vicariously through "immature" music like that sometimes (or a lot of the time...) :lol:

I haven't seen anything about a follow-up single or album release date, but I'm not the best about following artists' Twitter, Instagram, etc., so I may be out-of-the-loop. I often rely on people opening threads here on UKMIX. :lol:

:o Woah! I was surprised when "Missing U" sounded like close competition for some of Kylie's 2018 offerings, and now it seems like your clear winner? On that note, I need to hear your thoughts on the rest of Honey ASAP (plz).

Too rude about you "forgetting" Janet :cry: but you're not the first person to share similar sentiments, and I know her status abroad isn't/has never really been quite the same as the US.

I love it! SUCH a spot-on recommendation, sir. It's sure to enjoy a strong debut on my next chart...

Rita probably just didn't want you stealing her spotlight/upstaging her moves ;) Way in the back, eh? Was that so you and your man could engage in all kinds of unspeakable acts...?

You earn them so effortlessly. 8-)

Good to know! I hadn't really thought of her as a dancer/"performer" in that sense, but it sounds like she manages to fill the stage with her charm?

Damn, those were the songs that came the closest to winning me over :lol: Granted, getting some story-context for these tracks by actually seeing the movie could change things, so I can't properly evaluate them until that happens. I just know that I'm not too compelled to replay them right now... :oops:

YES! Here's hoping Dua starts a trend of English + K-Pop hybrids (and just greater mainstream visibility for K-Pop in general, really).

Ava will enjoy a nice Halloween boost on my next chart, but I'm not sure how long she'll stick around after that. I've always been fairly ADD with my listening habits, and Apple Music just makes it even easier to explore something (or many things) new on a whim. Not to mention any older stuff that I get randomly inspired to re-visit...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, lie there indeed :oops:

It is a combination of both, but we are mostly focused on the more serious topics like policies, diversity/inclusive and fighting discrimination. We organise events as well, usually in combination with speakers and activists from around the country. And yesterday I had this very important meeting with basically the board of our organisation.

Ahh, haha! I do see what you mean there. It can definitely be a lot of fun as well.

Yeah, that song really got to me. I can't even explain why, but to me it's just the most perfection pop song <3 Absolutely lushhhh!! I do enjoy the whole record though, but I haven't had the time to really explore it. Missing U would still be the clear standout for me. Glad to see you are enjoying it! Loads of Robyn entries this week :D

Sorry!! It is true indeed that over here she has never been that big as she ever was over in the US, even though she obviously has had hits here as well. I would say All For You was her last big hit around Europe, or atleast here in The Netherlands. Together Again is still very much remembered though, people really loved that song, including me.

YES. SO happy to see you like it!! And a #2 debut as well. Fantastic :D

Hahahaha, nope nope. My man would never ever go to see a Rita gig :lol: Her barely knows who she is, the only time he has heard her music was when I played it for him. Fair to say it is not his cup of tea.

Paloma is a bit like Adele on stage, just a lot of presence and fun antics. She is adorable. And she does some cute, little routines with her background singers.

Ava did have a massive jump again this week, woop woop.
Loving the #1 as well, Allie X is very much delivering bop after bop these days. I am not complaining. And what a great debut for Loyal <3 Did the music video help with that? It's bloody good.
Nice one to see Dead In The Water, one of Ellie's best for me and WOOP for CHVRCHES, what caused that re-entry? Adore them, they played over here last week but I was on holiday so couldn't go!

Can we expect some Spice Girls re-entries maybe sometime soon? I am over the moon with all the comeback news.
Fan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts