Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Which track will be crowned my favourite song of 2018?

Breathin
24%
Fall in Line
No votes
God Is a Woman
41%
Good Form
No votes
Have It All
6%
I'll Never Love Again
12%
Raining Glitter
18%
Rocket
No votes
Sanctify
No votes
With You
No votes

Total votes : 17

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:00 am

UKMusicLova wrote:Quick catch up, lots of songs I really love but some particular favourites:
Zayn - Entertainer
Maroon 5 - Girls Like You
Zac Efron & Zendaya - Rewrite The Stars
Shawn Mendes - Lost In Japan
Ella Mai - Trip
Bebe Rexha - Meant To Be
Martin Garrix - Ocean
Toni Braxton - Long As I Live
Khalid & Normani - Love Lies
Ariana Grande - no tears left to cry
Troye Sivan - My My My
Janelle Monae - Django Jane

Rewrite The Stars is the right side of cheesy for me, I've always liked Zac's voice and him and Zendaya sound awesome on this. A few of the songs above feel really low, for me, as I love really love them. But looking forward to see what is coming up!
Hey, long time no see! :D

Yeah, it was a good year in music for me, so there are some songs that ended up pretty low that I still have a good deal of love for. Hopefully, you like the higher-ranked songs even more! :D
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:35 am

060. Nicki Minaj - Come See About Me

Perhaps Queen's most vulnerable moment, "Come See About Me" features Nicki expressing regret over a past relationship, and the actions on her part that may have led to the union's demise. She sings, Come see about me to her former flame to return to see that she's worked on herself, and grown into a more complete individual, so that maybe the two can give things a second attempt. Hip/hop is usually more swagger than vulnerable emotional showcase, so it's always refreshing to see one of the genre's heavyweights engage in a moment of introspection.
Code: Select all
Quality Rating: 8.4/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #9
Play Count: 13

059. Hozier - Nina Cried Power (feat. Mavis Staples)

There are a lot of musical duets that seem inevitable; this is not one of them. On one side, you have Hozier, a recent Irish indie-rock export, and on the other, you have Mavis Staples, one-fifth of the 70s hit R&B/soul group the Staple Singers. What do two people from such vastly different eras and musical backgrounds come together to sing about? Change. "Nina Cried Power" is both a tribute song to those of yesteryear, who used their voices to sing call-to-action tracks that inspired millions to fight for various human rights issues, and a reminder to present-day advocates that to listen and remain passive is to listen with deaf ears. I love the bits where they reference all the people who cried power, particularly the end where they take turns, with one listing the name, and the other belting cried power! I have to thank Mike (Thriller) for including this on the 'UKMix Hitlist' playlist on Spotify, as I might have missed this wonderful song otherwise.
Quality Rating: 8.5/10
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #3
Play Count: 10

058. SZA - Pretty Little Birds (feat. Isaiah Rashad)

I'd dismissed Ctrl as an over-heralded album, with limited actual artistic merit beyond "The Weekend", which I loved and charted among my best-of-the-year highlights in 2017, but somehow "Pretty Little Birds" connected with me in 2018, and usurped "The Weekend" as my favourite SZA song. I think it's the lyric My wings don't spread like they used to, but I wanna fly with you. It's such an unlikely highlight, placed at the very end, but it really ties the whole message of the song in a neat, emotionally naked package. She touches my spirit with that line, and I get her - to not feel as if you're completely whole, to know that past relationships have worn you thin on key vitals like trust, but still, at your very core, being open enough to love to give something with potential a chance.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(1)
Play Count: 59

057. Little Mix - Woman Like Me (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Little Mix are no strangers to my year-end countdowns; they have a consistent track record of delivering quality singles, and this is another catchy pop moment for them, this time featuring one of the girls' idols, Nicki Minaj. I like that this song straddles the line of confident and vulnerable, confident in that the protagonist in the song seems to know she's a work in progress but loves herself and deems herself worthy of love regardless, and vulnerable in that there's that honeymoon phase going on (And every time we touch, boy, you make me feel weak) and no matter how much of a strong independent woman you may be, love humbles us all, and there's that small sense of approval-seeking, the lack of which won't be catastrophic, but is still desired.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #2
Play Count: 35

056. NIKI - Vintage

I usually participate in the FSC on UKMix at least once a year, but this just may be the best song I've ever discovered through that game, courtesy of Jacob (urbanmusik). It's a cute R&B/pop song, and Niki has such a fluttery, girlish, beautiful voice and tone on this. I also love how she's referring to a relationship that ended a year ago as vintage. It reminds me of millenials on Instagram using #ThrowbackThursday tags as captions on pictures taken merely months ago. Everything about this song suggests that it should have been a massive global chart-topper, but, in a year where pop hits were fewer and further in between, NIKI had no such luck.
Play Count: 32

055. Cardi B - Be Careful

I've said more than a few times that Cardi B's appeal lies in her rawness and larger-than-life, sometimes over-the-top energy, and she's able to channel that same passion into the cautionary ballad "Be Careful". There's a lot of great stuff on "Be Careful": a reference to the 'Belly' film, which reflects the messiness of the relationship the protagonist and her lover share, a TLC reference, random but seamless Spanish inserts, and one of the best lines of her career thus far, My heart is like a package with a fragile label on it.

054. Rae Morris - Do It

I have heppolo to thank for introducing me to "Do It" through his 2017 year-end countdown. I bookmarked the song for inclusion in this year's countdown, as it was too deliciously catchy to ignore from spin one. The duet-do it segue is so simple on paper, but it's executed brilliantly. I love the song's overall message of spontaneity; I don't do enough living in the moment, and this song reminds me that I should try to embrace my more risk-taking side. The melody is warm, the lyrics are fun with a sexy undertone - this is pop done well, and I'll always love quality pop.
Play Count: 47

053. Kendji Girac - Pour oublier

The best therapeutic music either makes you reflect on your feelings, or escape them entirely, and "Pour oublier" is all about the latter form of therapy. I love the passion in Kendji's voice and the wild infectiousness of the instrumentation. This song just screams party the whole way through. Many thanks to Benny on passing on such a fantastic gem.
Play Count: 27

052. Cardi B - Money Bag

The major reason I was so against Cardi B releasing "Money" is because she had this stunner on the album just screaming to be released. He can tell from the front that I got ass behind me. Just come all the way through with the banger, Belcalis! This, the final of Cardi B's three entries, had all the ingredients of a chart-topper, so I'm still confused as to how Cardi and her team passed on the opportunity of pushing this on radio.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(2)

051. Azealia Banks - Treasure Island

A case could be made for Azealia Banks being the most talented female rapper ever. She genre-blends like no one else in hip/hop, and has a pretty nasty pen game, but she's been an equally nasty person on social media, so perhaps her time for mainstream success has passed. That didn't stop the emcee from releasing her career-best song in "Treasure Island" this year, a sensual, sleek blend of dance, R&B, and hip/hop. On merit alone, it should've been a massive hit.
Quality Rating: 8.6/10
Play Count: 48

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:54 am

Great to see that you liked the Kendji song that I introduced you to so much! :D
Benny
Legend

Postby Thriller » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Nice to see plenty of Kylie! Gonna have a punt on Raining Glitter.
Thriller

Postby king_oxymoron » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:47 pm

you right girl, you right! Kinda.

I actually do really have time for both Nina Cried Power and Woman Like Me, and both would have made my chart in a different year, very different songs but both pack a bit of a punch. Leigh sounds great on WLM.

I think I've heard Rae too, will remind myself.
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby Carbon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:50 pm

yes to SZA, Azealia and most of all Rae Morris! that song is just amazing
Carbon
Legend

Postby phoenix98 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:00 pm

JSparksFan wrote:A guy on Grindr actually taught me that word. :lol:
:lol: Makes sense that pluviophiles would connect there. Did this helpful gent teach you anything else...? ;)

JSparksFan wrote:And I remember you kinda liking it/not hating it, right?
Yeah! It's definitely fun, and skillfully straddles the line between quirky/left field and too-bizarre-to-be-listenable (all while making a worthwhile statement too). From what I understand, Eurovision entries are often pretty camp, and this adds some truly unique twists to that.

• Damn, dumping on Ctrl is pretty bold :o "Pretty Little Birds" is still somewhat of a struggle for me (aside from the lovely way she delivers those "when the spiral down feels as good as the flight, when hating you feels good for the night..." lines), but overall, it does feel like one of the biggest risk-taking moments on the album in terms of sound/style/structure, which is something to applaud.
• "Woman Like Me" was a pretty big bummer for me, but I know a lot of fans have been clamoring for a shift like this after their (allegedly) too poppy/Kidz Boppified past two eras.
• OoOh...I'll definitely be adding "Vintage" after this! Sounds like NIKI could even teach Mariah a thing or two about crafting catchy R&B in 2018 ;) Many thanks to you (and urbanmusik by proxy) for introducing me to it.
• I'm all for escaping into some enjoyable music, and I certainly wouldn't mind retreating into Kendji's world...
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:25 am

Benny wrote:Great to see that you liked the Kendji song that I introduced you to so much! :D
Yeah, that chorus is just irresistible!

Thriller wrote:Nice to see plenty of Kylie! Gonna have a punt on Raining Glitter.
Let's see!

king_oxymoron wrote:you right girl, you right! Kinda.

I actually do really have time for both Nina Cried Power and Woman Like Me, and both would have made my chart in a different year, very different songs but both pack a bit of a punch. Leigh sounds great on WLM.

I think I've heard Rae too, will remind myself.
The Rae song is lovely!

Carbon wrote:yes to SZA, Azealia and most of all Rae Morris! that song is just amazing
Agreed! Glad you like those three.

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: Makes sense that pluviophiles would connect there. Did this helpful gent teach you anything else...? ;)
Not really, you know. A lot of my Grindr conversations are actually quite...unratchet. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:Yeah! It's definitely fun, and skillfully straddles the line between quirky/left field and too-bizarre-to-be-listenable (all while making a worthwhile statement too). From what I understand, Eurovision entries are often pretty camp, and this adds some truly unique twists to that.
Yeah, that's basically ESC in a nutshell. It's honestly one of the most LGBT+ friendly events I've ever seen, and it's so huge!

phoenix98 wrote:• Damn, dumping on Ctrl is pretty bold :o "Pretty Little Birds" is still somewhat of a struggle for me (aside from the lovely way she delivers those "when the spiral down feels as good as the flight, when hating you feels good for the night..." lines), but overall, it does feel like one of the biggest risk-taking moments on the album in terms of sound/style/structure, which is something to applaud.
Yeah, maybe it'll pull a channel ORANGE, and I'll adore it four years later.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Woman Like Me" was a pretty big bummer for me, but I know a lot of fans have been clamoring for a shift like this after their (allegedly) too poppy/Kidz Boppified past two eras.
Aw, really? I actually don't think it's that 'adult' of a song. 13-year-old me would bop just as easily to it as 23-year-old me.

phoenix98 wrote:• OoOh...I'll definitely be adding "Vintage" after this! Sounds like NIKI could even teach Mariah a thing or two about crafting catchy R&B in 2018 ;) Many thanks to you (and urbanmusik by proxy) for introducing me to it.
Yay, so happy that you checked that one out, and enjoyed it! :D :D :D

phoenix98 wrote:• I'm all for escaping into some enjoyable music, and I certainly wouldn't mind retreating into Kendji's world...
Yeah, he's def v-cute.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:05 am

050. Sugarland - Babe (feat. Taylor Swift)

Originally penned for Taylor Swift's 2012 Red album, she gifted this song to Sugarland six years later. The track is very Taylor-esque, though, and the way T-Swizzle plays with the word babe on the chorus is just so stylistically typical of herself that I have to smile. I do appreciate just how much emotion Jennifer Nettles brings to the verses.
Quality Rating: 8.7/10
Play Count: 25

049. Kara Marni - Golden

Thanks to biscuits's UKMIXtapes game, I discovered this gem in March, which was one of several lovely songs submitted by bluecherry. There really isn't much you could look for in a song that this doesn't have: contemporary, strong, sleek melody (check); clear, confident, competent vocals (check); and solid lyrics (check). For a dying genre, R&B did seem to produce some quality offerings in 2018!
Quality Rating: 9/10
Play Count: 23

048. Nicki Minaj - Bed (feat. Ariana Grande)

My generation is regularly criticised by others for being the most crass group of people yet, but I'll always love just how much more forward we are with our intentions than our parents' generation. For the pick-up line to be, I've got a bed with your name on it, I just have to chuckle at the transparency. Nicki and Ariana make a fantastic pair here, as they usually do, with Onika laying some brick-hard lines and Ari lending her soft, sensual vocal on the instantly memorable hook. This is definitely a song to do a slow whine (or twerk) to in a club, and hopefully a DJ somewhere lets me be great to this song before 2019.
Play Count: 68

047. Robyn - Ever Again

Robyn has been lauded by so many pop music fans on UKMix, but I never really got the hype for her beyond "Dancing on My Own", which is admittedly incredible. I checked out Honey in hopes that there would be something of substance on it, but this was the only track that stuck. I love sad pop music wrapped in a sleek, upbeat, stylish beat, and this is pretty much that brand of pop done well.
Play Count: 34

046. Nicki Minaj - Ganja Burn

Sometimes when you're the queen, it helps to remind those who may have forgotten just why that is, and on "Ganja Burn" (sans the 's') Nicki dutifully reminds fans, detractors, and undecided listeners why she's the queen of rap. There's a culture among millenials to crown someone the 'GOAT' after a brief period of high-level success or achievement, but Nicki reminds everyone that in order to reach at the top of the mountain, you have to put in work over a sustained period of time. Legends aren't crowned after a year on top; they have to prove themselves, and that second verse is necessary, wholly warranted savagery. Nicki's flow and pen game are lethal here, and she bested this on only one track this year, which is obviously still to come.
Play Count: 40

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:25 pm

Ganja Burn(s) is a great tune, I wish Nicki would make more music in this vein.

Ever Again is among my faves on that album. Definitely the most instant song and the first one I loved. That whole album is great.
Carbon
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:49 pm

Love Ever Again! My second fave on the album.
Thriller

Postby urbanmusik » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Will look further back at your countdown when I get the chance, but I'm so glad you ended up liking that NIKI song so much! It probably won't even be that high in my end of year chart if I end up getting round to one.

From the recent updates I enjoy Kara Marni and Cardi B, though I think the latter has better on her album (though I agree this would have been a more interesting single than Money). I love SZA, surprised you didn't like the album much. Woman Like Me is a cute basic bop, while I adore the Rae Morris, Azealia Banks and Robyn entries.

As for the Nicki entries, I love Ganja Burn, but I found Bed extremely disappointing and Nicki's attempt at singing on Come and See Me is one of the few weak moments for me on Queen.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby king_oxymoron » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:17 pm

Oh my god nooo you have Robyn so wrong, I think I enjoyed Ever Again but the new album was jarring to me. HOWEVER, Body Talk is one of the best pop albums ever, have you heard it? So many absolute MOMENTS. YOU NEED TO HEAR.

Bed isn't bad. I worked on a job with Kara and thought her talented but found most of the material to be pretty MOR
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:50 am

Carbon wrote:Ganja Burn(s) is a great tune, I wish Nicki would make more music in this vein.

Ever Again is among my faves on that album. Definitely the most instant song and the first one I loved. That whole album is great.
Glad you like those two!

Thriller wrote:Love Ever Again! My second fave on the album.
"Honey" is growing on me!

urbanmusik wrote:Will look further back at your countdown when I get the chance, but I'm so glad you ended up liking that NIKI song so much! It probably won't even be that high in my end of year chart if I end up getting round to one.

From the recent updates I enjoy Kara Marni and Cardi B, though I think the latter has better on her album (though I agree this would have been a more interesting single than Money). I love SZA, surprised you didn't like the album much. Woman Like Me is a cute basic bop, while I adore the Rae Morris, Azealia Banks and Robyn entries.

As for the Nicki entries, I love Ganja Burn, but I found Bed extremely disappointing and Nicki's attempt at singing on Come and See Me is one of the few weak moments for me on Queen.
Yeah, it really made an impression on me. It totally should've won that month!

Yeah, and I'm surprised so many people loved it as much as they did, but I suspect it might be an extremely slow burner for me.

Aw, "Bed" is so fun and catchy. I get where you're coming from with "Come See About Me", but that one connected with me, probably because of the lyrics.

king_oxymoron wrote:Oh my god nooo you have Robyn so wrong, I think I enjoyed Ever Again but the new album was jarring to me. HOWEVER, Body Talk is one of the best pop albums ever, have you heard it? So many absolute MOMENTS. YOU NEED TO HEAR.

Bed isn't bad. I worked on a job with Kara and thought her talented but found most of the material to be pretty MOR
I haven't heard it, but I'll make a point to check it out soon!

Aw, you worked with Kara? That's so cool!

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:40 am

045. Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex

The second and final entry from Lana Del Rey, "Mariners Apartment Complex" is a gorgeous track, with far more uplift than melancholy. Lana isn't a five-octave vocalist, but her voice sounds serene here, the instrumentation is well-placed, and the lyrics feel both endearingly honest and comforting.
Play Count: 34

044. Carrie Underwood - Drinking Alone

I've loved wild Carrie ever since she debuted on "Before He Cheats", and she taps into that side on "Drinking Alone", with a dose of heartbreak thrown in for good measure. The American Idol superstar delivers a rolling kind of vocal in the chorus that I just adore; it makes for an extremely catchy song, and though the lyrics narrate a super cliché scene, Carrie's interpretation makes this song a standout moment for me.
Play Count: 37

043. CHVRCHES - Graves

I glossed over the powerful message within this song the first time I played it, but thanks to Paul's analysis of the lyrics, I revisited this, and wholly connected with the track. This is a strong political statement masquerading as an electro-pop song, and I'm happy that more musicians are expressing their opinions on politics - it can be a divisive topic, but to ignore the racist, sexist, homophobic elephant in the room is to give it that much more power. Apathy in the face of injustice could bring about the end of the civilised world.
Play Count: 29

042. Years & Years - Hallelujah

Sexy synthpop seduction, Years & Years deliver in a big way with dancefloor stunner "Hallelujah". I love how full the production on this song sounds; it's insistent and ever-present without ever sounding loud or like overkill. Whoever's decision it was to place this after "Sanctify" on the album deserves a pay raise. Leonard Cohen, Alicia Keys, and now Y&Y - I seem to never meet a "Hallelujah" song I don't like.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #3
Play Count: 21

041. Clean Bandit - Solo (feat. Demi Lovato)

Clean Bandit and Demi Lovato joined forces on this electro-pop anthem of independence that just happened to be one of the most relatable songs of 2018. The bleeped out swear word in the chorus is such a quirky, lovable moment, and I think I just adore the song because dance and pop music have this (ridiculously unfair and unwarranted) reputation for being vapid and superficial, and there's clearly so much emotion wrapped in this song. Danceability and substance aren't mutually exclusive.
Play Count: 38

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:42 am

I keep coming back for Made For Now
biscuits
The Diva

Postby phoenix98 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:10 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Not really, you know. A lot of my Grindr conversations are actually quite...unratchet. :lol:
:lol: There must be blue balls all across the Bahamas on these poor fools who think they've actually got a shot with you, when all you're really looking for is a vocabulary lesson...

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, maybe it'll pull a channel ORANGE, and I'll adore it four years later.
**Fingers crossed**

I didn't realize channel ORANGE took that long!

JSparksFan wrote:Aw, really? I actually don't think it's that 'adult' of a song. 13-year-old me would bop just as easily to it as 23-year-old me.
Ha, I'm glad it's got an ageless appeal for you! I think for some, it's merely a matter of believing that pop (especially the basically-bubblegum variety like "Black Magic") = for children and simpletons, therefore anything else = a step in the right direction.

• It wasn't too shocking that I found myself enjoying something penned by Taylor (especially if it originated from the Red sessions), but I especially love Taylor's mostly-subtle vocal contributions on this final version. You can certainly tell that she's there, but she actually lets Sugarland shine the brightest on (what's become) their song. The balance just feels so perfect to me. Guaranteed a spot inside my Top 50 too.
• Whichever DJ relents and finally blasts "Bed" would OBVIOUSLY not only be doing a favor for you, but for the entire club who get to witness your slow whine routine.
• I had no idea (or just genuinely forgot) that "Ever Again" had stood out to you, so this is a neat surprise! It's in the middle-of-the-pack on Honey for me, but it's been truly fun coming across these unexpected album track appearances ("All These Years," "Lucky Escape," "Shelby '68," Rainbow," etc). They may not be among my top-favorites from their respective albums, but I know them and like them well enough that's it's still a treat to see them getting some recognition here.
:o :cry: :D I'm seriously choking up at the sight of "Graves" inside your Top 50 (and nearly Top 40)!!! Now I know that I've done at least one thing right in 2018. It really is such a perfect blend of sleek, poppy wrapping around a fairly frank, alarming, heartwrenching package.
• Ooh...and "Hallelujah" is another perfect candidate for that list of album tracks I was just mentioning! As much as I adore "All For You," I kind of wish they'd just left it as a pre-release-track "single" (with that adorable low-budget vid of Olly working the hotline) and given "Hallelujah" a proper push instead after "If You're Over Me."
• I love "Solo" - sure to make my Top 50 as well - and I especially love your brief, but brilliant pop music rant/defense. Amen!
phoenix98
Legend

Postby king_oxymoron » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:23 pm

Not exactly re Kara, I didn't meet her, but I prompted for an awards show, I think presented by Greg James, and Kara was the musical talent so I saw her in soundcheck etc.

Fuming at no Alexandra Burke mention in the Hallelujah write up :lol: I like the track and I do agree it's very full sounding, the music very much washes over you and is all encompassing. That said, I would probably say it's in the weaker half of the album for me, it gets a bit repetitive.. though it was one of four which ended up on my most played 100 of the year so maybe I did that to myself.

Clean Bandit so rarely put a foot wrong... if it's not amazing it's still VERY listenable and catchy, and their chart runs are testament to that, here in the UK anyway. I was so glad Solo got a shot at number one, mainly as it was Demi's first here. You mention some real highlights of the song, I love that production moment with the curse word, it's a nice little novelty. She sounds stunning on it too, I agree it could make a ballad in the verses with a angle and the emotion, banger.

Graves is such a good song! I really like the album as a whole and this song bangs. I don't think I ever stopped to examine the lyrics and consider it political, though, but now you say it I can definitely relate to how I feel the Government in the UK looks out for themselves while not looking out for others and the homelessness crisis in the UK worsens and people die. I don't have any idea if that's what they meant by it but it's nice to have a fresh take on the song with new eyes... while still tapping my foot ferociously to it!
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:25 am

biscuits wrote:I keep coming back for Made For Now
Tomorrow might be a good day to pop in. :wink:

phoenix98 wrote: :lol: There must be blue balls all across the Bahamas on these poor fools who think they've actually got a shot with you, when all you're really looking for is a vocabulary lesson...
:lol:

phoenix98 wrote:**Fingers crossed**

I didn't realize channel ORANGE took that long!
It took ages. Frank's lucky that I adore him as a human.

phoenix98 wrote:Ha, I'm glad it's got an ageless appeal for you! I think for some, it's merely a matter of believing that pop (especially the basically-bubblegum variety like "Black Magic") = for children and simpletons, therefore anything else = a step in the right direction.
You mean there are people out there who believe jewels like "...Baby" and "Oops!" are only for...kids? :o The world truly is a terrifying place.

phoenix98 wrote:• It wasn't too shocking that I found myself enjoying something penned by Taylor (especially if it originated from the Red sessions), but I especially love Taylor's mostly-subtle vocal contributions on this final version. You can certainly tell that she's there, but she actually lets Sugarland shine the brightest on (what's become) their song. The balance just feels so perfect to me. Guaranteed a spot inside my Top 50 too.
Yeah, I think you were the one that actually sold me on "Babe".

phoenix98 wrote:• Whichever DJ relents and finally blasts "Bed" would OBVIOUSLY not only be doing a favor for you, but for the entire club who get to witness your slow whine routine.
:lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• I had no idea (or just genuinely forgot) that "Ever Again" had stood out to you, so this is a neat surprise! It's in the middle-of-the-pack on Honey for me, but it's been truly fun coming across these unexpected album track appearances ("All These Years," "Lucky Escape," "Shelby '68," Rainbow," etc). They may not be among my top-favorites from their respective albums, but I know them and like them well enough that's it's still a treat to see them getting some recognition here.
"Honey" has just grown on me, too!

phoenix98 wrote::o :cry: :D I'm seriously choking up at the sight of "Graves" inside your Top 50 (and nearly Top 40)!!! Now I know that I've done at least one thing right in 2018. It really is such a perfect blend of sleek, poppy wrapping around a fairly frank, alarming, heartwrenching package.
Thanks for pushing the song's message! :D

phoenix98 wrote:• Ooh...and "Hallelujah" is another perfect candidate for that list of album tracks I was just mentioning! As much as I adore "All For You," I kind of wish they'd just left it as a pre-release-track "single" (with that adorable low-budget vid of Olly working the hotline) and given "Hallelujah" a proper push instead after "If You're Over Me."
Yeah, "Hallelujah" had such single potential.

phoenix98 wrote:• I love "Solo" - sure to make my Top 50 as well - and I especially love your brief, but brilliant pop music rant/defense. Amen!
I'll be a pop music defender 'til my dying breath! 8-)

king_oxymoron wrote:Not exactly re Kara, I didn't meet her, but I prompted for an awards show, I think presented by Greg James, and Kara was the musical talent so I saw her in soundcheck etc.

Fuming at no Alexandra Burke mention in the Hallelujah write up :lol: I like the track and I do agree it's very full sounding, the music very much washes over you and is all encompassing. That said, I would probably say it's in the weaker half of the album for me, it gets a bit repetitive.. though it was one of four which ended up on my most played 100 of the year so maybe I did that to myself.

Clean Bandit so rarely put a foot wrong... if it's not amazing it's still VERY listenable and catchy, and their chart runs are testament to that, here in the UK anyway. I was so glad Solo got a shot at number one, mainly as it was Demi's first here. You mention some real highlights of the song, I love that production moment with the curse word, it's a nice little novelty. She sounds stunning on it too, I agree it could make a ballad in the verses with a angle and the emotion, banger.

Graves is such a good song! I really like the album as a whole and this song bangs. I don't think I ever stopped to examine the lyrics and consider it political, though, but now you say it I can definitely relate to how I feel the Government in the UK looks out for themselves while not looking out for others and the homelessness crisis in the UK worsens and people die. I don't have any idea if that's what they meant by it but it's nice to have a fresh take on the song with new eyes... while still tapping my foot ferociously to it!
Still cool! Getting that kind of first-person view of major stars must be so surreal.

Well, technically, to mention Alexandra would mean reiterating Leonard Cohen, since it is his song. Alexandra's version of "Hallelujah" is my all-time favourite interpretation, though! I totally get where you're coming from regarding "Hallelujah", but I adore it anyway, and the...redundant lyrics don't faze me at all.

Yeah, Clean Bandit have been really consistent since "Rather Be". Some of their collabs seem so strange on paper, but they work magic with their collaborators in the studio.

I was listening to "Graves" with more of a US perspective/visual in mind, but your example just goes to show that it's a universal problem; we tend not to bother much with issues that don't directly impact us, which ends up blowing up in everyone's faces in the end.

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:15 am

040. Janelle Monáe - Make Me Feel

With its persistent tongue-clicking instrumentation, which veers off into high-powered R&B/funk-pop territory in select parts, where the beat feels like it's surged into overdrive, "Make Me Feel" sees Janelle Monáe invoking the spirit of Prince, but stamping the track with her unique, inimitable style. Paired with an equally impressive video that cleverly references Janelle's pansexuality, "Make Me Feel" was a big Q1 highlight this year, and it's held up well for the full calendar year. I love the passion Janelle expresses in the bridge: Good God, I can't help it! It's like a release of ecstasy really.
Play Count: 76

039. Mariah Carey - Caution

I know she has "Honey", but I don't think a Mariah Carey song has ever been as sexy as "Caution". You can hear the sensuality dripping in her voice, and in the coy and mysterious vibe of the lyrics and production - this level of sexy is new territory for MC, and she traverses it like a pro. This was the immediate standout the first time I listened to Caution. I had it on repeat like a madman, not even believing it was MC. It's always nice when your fave can pleasantly surprise you, even after 28 years in the industry.
Akini's Daily Top 20 Peak: #1(3)
Play Count: 91

038. Janelle Monáe - Crazy, Classic, Life

I spent some time mistyping the title of this song, omitting the second comma, and in being made aware of the second comma, I think I also developed a deeper appreciation for the track. I'd originally thought Janelle was using the terms "crazy" and "classic" as descriptors of the kind of life she desired, but the second comma suggests that she views these as not optional ingredients in the recipe of life, but an absolute necessity, the absence of which would preclude a true 'life'. I could be reading too much into it, but that definitely bolstered my appreciation of the song. And the song didn't even need much assistance - like much of Dirty Computer, there's a powerful surface-level message, exquisite production, strong vocals, and a killer visual (as part of her brilliant emotion picture). There's a heap of lyrical highlights, but my personal favourite is the pre-chorus: We don't need another ruler, all of my friends are kings. I'm not America's nightmare, I'm the American dream. Coming from a queer black woman in America, those are weighty words.

037. Lady Gaga - Always Remember Us This Way

I'm not sure what it is about the first verse, but Gaga hooks me from line one, and keeps me gawking in sheer disbelief of her masterful balladry. A Star Is Born is quite possibly the worst movie I've seen in 2018, but the soundtrack (Gaga's portion) far exceeded my expectations, and Gaga sells the emotion on this track well. I also appreciate the absence of Bradley Cooper on this. For that alone, I would've joined the crowd at the end chanting, Ally, Ally, Ally!
Play Count: 87

036. Kendrick Lamar & SZA - All the Stars

Black Panther is by an extraordinary margin my favourite movie of 2018, but before I even saw the film, I saw "All the Stars" as one of the singles from the soundtrack. For many others, seeing Kendrick Lamar and SZA on a track together might have sparked excitement, but for me there was apprehension, considering that I consider both artists' output to be extremely overrated. However, somehow, they manage to deliver a top-notch track. Kendrick's cadence on songs can be a bit choppy, but his flow here is seamless, smart, and highly effective, and SZA's voice really takes off in the chorus, soaring as high as those stars she wants to get closer to. The music video, though, is even better than the song! Absolutely stunning imagery, killer fashion, just excellence all 'round. As the stats below reflect, this stalled at #2, having been blocked by my favourite Black Panther song, which is still to come!
Play Count: 59

JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Time to finally catch up here! I didn't realize I'm so much behind :oops: :( First, bubbling under...

175. George Ezra - Shotgun
171. Camila Cabello - She Loves Control
168. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier
167. Charlie Puth - The Way I Am
165. Camila Cabello - All These Years
164. Florence + the Machine - No Choir
161. Florence + the Machine - The End of Love
160. Troye Sivan - What a Heavenly Way to Die
159. Florence + the Machine - Big God
158. Carly Rae Jepsen - Party for One
157. Florence + the Machine - Hunger
156. 5 Seconds of Summer - If Walls Could Talk
154. Alvaro Soler - La Cintura
152. Camila Cabello - Consequences
151. Amy Shark - I Said Hi

Already quite a strong group. "I Said Hi" was such au unexpected discovery for me this year, but it's great. She should have some success outside of Australia, too. Also love "What A Heavenly Way To Die" and "She Loves Control", two highlights of their albums. "The Way I Am" by Charlie is quite underrated, so nice to see it getting a mention from you. Also nice to see "If Walls Could Talk", the only song I still remember from their album (apart from "Youngblood", obviously).

150. Shawn Mendes - Lost in Japan
148. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood

146. Kacey Musgraves - Rainbow
141. Troye Sivan - Seventeen
140. Alessia Cara - Growing Pains
139. Camila Cabello - Never Be the Same
138. Cardi B - Best Life (feat. Chance the Rapper)
135. Justin Timberlake - Say Something (feat. Chris Stapleton)
133. Rudimental & Rita Ora - Summer Love

"Say Something" is the best Justin did in YEARS :oops: Other than that, a nice group, surprised to see "In My Blood" being that low. Also, I hope "Summer Love" will get a single treatment in 2019.

123. Christina Aguilera - Unless It's with You
118. Kylie Minogue - Stop Me from Falling
116. Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss
115. Demi Lovato - Sober
113. Troye Sivan - Bloom
111. Shawn Mendes - Youth (feat. Khalid)

109. Mylene Farmer - N'obulie Pas (feat. LP)
108. Years & Years - Lucky Escape
107. Years & Years - If You're Over Me
102. Lauren Jauregui - Expectations
101. Shawn Mendes - Nervous

"Sober", "Bloom" and "Youth" were three big highlights of the year for me, so on one side I'm glad they made your 'missed list', on another side I'm sad they aren't on the main countdown. The latter is even my most favorite tune by Shawn ever.
"Expectations" is an interesting debut single for Lauren. It fits her very well but I'm not surprised it wasn't a charts success for her.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Tansike » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:32 pm

100. Bebe Rexha - Meant to Be (feat. Florida Georgia Line)
099. Martin Garrix - Ocean (feat. Khalid)
098. Calvin Harris & Sam Smith - Promises
097. Zedd, Maren Morris, & Grey - The Middle

Good start. Surprisingly, "Meant To Be" never really clicked with me even though I love Bebe a lot. "The Middle" and "Promises" are strong and two of my highlights this year as well.

094. Kylie Minogue - Dancing
092. Khalid & Normani - Love Lies
091. Eleni Foureira - Fuego

Fantastic to see "Fuego" making your Top100! I like "Toy", but I would have loved to see "Fuego" winning as well. The other two are nice.

090. Lana Del Rey - Venice Bitch
088. Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do Th
at?

Love them both <3

085. Céline Dion - Ashes
084. Lady Gaga - Before I Cry

083. Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li
082. Ariana Grande - Everytime
081. 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood

Unpopular opinion alert: "Before I Cry" is my favorite song on the "A Star Is Born" soundtrack alongside "Heal Me". Love that Gaga. Also strong tunes by Ariana and Céline.

080. Carrie Underwood - Backsliding
079. Ariana Grande - No Tears Left to Cry
078. Cardi B - Bartier Cardi (feat. 21 Savage)
077. Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies
076. Mariah Carey - 8th Grade

:o :o :o
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Ok. So... I have to say, "No Tears Left To Cry" should be muuuuuuuch higher. But, I know you weren't a fan of this when it came out and it never really grew on you, so I guess I should be happy about a Top100 position at all?
Good group overall.

073. Taylor Swift - Delicate
072. Ariana Grande - Get Well Soon
071. Troye Sivan - My My My!

Three strong tunes. Glad to see an appearance for "Get Well Soon" <3

070. Netta - Toy
069. Nicki Minaj - Majesty (feat. Eminem & Labrinth)
067. Rita Ora - Let You Love Me

Good group, I like them all. "Majesty" could work as a proper single IMO.

065. Carrie Underwood - Kingdom
064. Janelle Monáe - Django Jane
062. Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. Khalid, Post Malone, & SZA)

Another good group, "Homemade Dynamite" is definitely the best here.

060. Nicki Minaj - Come See About Me
052. Cardi B - Money Bag

Hmm... I think the ones by Little Mix and Hozier are solid, but also quite disappointing comebacks. Cardi really was on a roll in 2018 and these are two of several good songs from her. Love that side of Nicki.

048. Nicki Minaj - Bed (feat. Ariana Grande)

<3

045. Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
043. CHVRCHES - Graves

"Solo" was and still is amazing. The lyrics may be a little bit awkward but the song still sounds kinda bittersweet, if that makes sense? So happy this was yet another success for Clean Bandit, especially because of Demi!

040. Janelle Monáe - Make Me Feel

Good group. 2018 has been the first time I got a bit into Janelle, with "Make Me Feel" being the main reason for that. "Always Remember Us This Way" is quite strong, too.
Tansike
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:54 am

I thought the 'Homemade Dynamite' album version was already pretty good and I don't mind the remix, but could do without Post Malone.

'Woman Like Me' is a bop. I think the opening lines by Jesy and Leigh-Ann are the best part. Thought the video was great, too. :D

'Babe' was a highlight for me this year. It even made me buy the 'Bigger' album by Sugarland. :lol: It's Taylor's power.

'Mariners Apartment Complex' is nice, love the story behind the song!
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby phoenix98 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:45 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Yeah, I think you were the one that actually sold me on "Babe".
If you're offering it, I'll gladly take the credit there! :lol: ;)

• Both the song itself and the video for "Make Me Feel" are pretty exceptional, and REALLY ignited my interest in Janelle. Until your chart encouraged me to check out "Cold War," I'd gotten the impression that she might be a tad too experimental/avant-guard for me, based on what little I'd read about her and the Metropolis concept albums. Turns out she can concoct material that's plenty accessible while still being genre-blending and thought-provoking. I'm incredibly charmed by and just generally in awe of her now (as an artist, and what I've come to learn about her as a person too). This one's guaranteed a spot inside my Top 50 (likely Top 40).
• "Caution" does have some immediately-catchy stretches that stood out from my first listen through its parent album ("cause every time you leave I fall apart, boy you're the missing pieces of my heart..."), but I've definitely been underestimating its sultriness until I read your write-up. I'm not quite ready to be all "Step aside, 'Honey'!", but you do a great job of touting this track's sex appeal.
• Forgive the pedantic/"Um, actually..." moment, but I always thought it was "we don't need another ruler, all of my friends are kings", and I really loved the cleverness of that. Your comma analysis is giving me life! This'll probably miss the cut-off for my final Top 50, but not by a massive margin (Top 70ish).
• The worst movie you've seen in 2018? Is this your way of checking to see who's actually reading the write-ups, or were you just feeling feisty and looking to start some forum fights? ;) No matter how deliberately hyperbolic or incendiary that remark may be, I applaud your bravery, and as pleased as I am for Gaga's success, it's refreshing to see someone (especially a Gaga fan) who doesn't treat that film like a life-altering experience. :lol:
• Damn, you really WERE on the warpath when penning this batch: straight from dragging ASIB into dragging Kendrick's AND SZA's catalogs :o Admittedly, I haven't found myself drawn to most of Kendrick's offerings either, so "All The Stars" was an exception for me too in that regard.
phoenix98
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:10 pm

Tansike wrote:Time to finally catch up here! I didn't realize I'm so much behind :oops: :( First, bubbling under...
Hey, T! Thanks for taking the time to catch up. :D

Tansike wrote:175. George Ezra - Shotgun
171. Camila Cabello - She Loves Control
168. Marshmello & Bastille - Happier
167. Charlie Puth - The Way I Am
165. Camila Cabello - All These Years
164. Florence + the Machine - No Choir
161. Florence + the Machine - The End of Love
160. Troye Sivan - What a Heavenly Way to Die
159. Florence + the Machine - Big God
158. Carly Rae Jepsen - Party for One
157. Florence + the Machine - Hunger
156. 5 Seconds of Summer - If Walls Could Talk
154. Alvaro Soler - La Cintura
152. Camila Cabello - Consequences
151. Amy Shark - I Said Hi

Already quite a strong group. "I Said Hi" was such au unexpected discovery for me this year, but it's great. She should have some success outside of Australia, too. Also love "What A Heavenly Way To Die" and "She Loves Control", two highlights of their albums. "The Way I Am" by Charlie is quite underrated, so nice to see it getting a mention from you. Also nice to see "If Walls Could Talk", the only song I still remember from their album (apart from "Youngblood", obviously).
I have you to thank for introducing me to "I Said Hi", so thanks again for that one! I'm not a big Charlie Puth fan, but I like his voice on "The Way I Am", and he's quite handsome in the music video, too.

Tansike wrote:150. Shawn Mendes - Lost in Japan
148. Shawn Mendes - In My Blood

146. Kacey Musgraves - Rainbow
141. Troye Sivan - Seventeen
140. Alessia Cara - Growing Pains
139. Camila Cabello - Never Be the Same
138. Cardi B - Best Life (feat. Chance the Rapper)
135. Justin Timberlake - Say Something (feat. Chris Stapleton)
133. Rudimental & Rita Ora - Summer Love

"Say Something" is the best Justin did in YEARS :oops: Other than that, a nice group, surprised to see "In My Blood" being that low. Also, I hope "Summer Love" will get a single treatment in 2019.
"Say Something" is definitely good! I think "Can't Stop the Feeling!" is better, though, in my opinion.

Tansike wrote:123. Christina Aguilera - Unless It's with You
118. Kylie Minogue - Stop Me from Falling
116. Calvin Harris & Dua Lipa - One Kiss
115. Demi Lovato - Sober
113. Troye Sivan - Bloom
111. Shawn Mendes - Youth (feat. Khalid)

109. Mylene Farmer - N'obulie Pas (feat. LP)
108. Years & Years - Lucky Escape
107. Years & Years - If You're Over Me
102. Lauren Jauregui - Expectations
101. Shawn Mendes - Nervous

"Sober", "Bloom" and "Youth" were three big highlights of the year for me, so on one side I'm glad they made your 'missed list', on another side I'm sad they aren't on the main countdown. The latter is even my most favorite tune by Shawn ever.
"Expectations" is an interesting debut single for Lauren. It fits her very well but I'm not surprised it wasn't a charts success for her.
Yeah, "Youth" stood out to me early on, and "Sober" definitely resonated with me more after Demi's scare. "Bloom" was a grower, and "Expectations" definitely exceeded my expectations for Lauren! Even though they're fairly 'low', all of the songs in that 101-140 string I rated 8/10, so their ranking is down more to me expanding this countdown to include album tracks, as well as 2018 just generally being a strong year in music.

Tansike wrote:100. Bebe Rexha - Meant to Be (feat. Florida Georgia Line)
099. Martin Garrix - Ocean (feat. Khalid)
098. Calvin Harris & Sam Smith - Promises
097. Zedd, Maren Morris, & Grey - The Middle

Good start. Surprisingly, "Meant To Be" never really clicked with me even though I love Bebe a lot. "The Middle" and "Promises" are strong and two of my highlights this year as well.
Glad you liked two in that set! It took me a while to check out "Promises" and even when I did, it didn't really connect with me immediately.

Tansike wrote:094. Kylie Minogue - Dancing
092. Khalid & Normani - Love Lies
091. Eleni Foureira - Fuego

Fantastic to see "Fuego" making your Top100! I like "Toy", but I would have loved to see "Fuego" winning as well. The other two are nice.
Interesting to see that you're not that big a fan of "Dancing". Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing much of Kylie's music on your charts this year.

Tansike wrote:Fantastic to see "Fuego" making your Top100! I like "Toy", but I would have loved to see "Fuego" winning as well. The other two are nice.

090. Lana Del Rey - Venice Bitch
088. Lady Gaga - Why Did You Do Th
at?

Love them both <3
Yay at someone else appreciating that Gaga song. 8-)

Tansike wrote:085. Céline Dion - Ashes
084. Lady Gaga - Before I Cry

083. Nicki Minaj - Chun-Li
082. Ariana Grande - Everytime
081. 5 Seconds of Summer - Youngblood

Unpopular opinion alert: "Before I Cry" is my favorite song on the "A Star Is Born" soundtrack alongside "Heal Me". Love that Gaga. Also strong tunes by Ariana and Céline.
Interesting! I think both are decent, and I definitely liked "Before I Cry" to rank it #84, but the bigger ballads on the soundtrack do more for me.

Tansike wrote:080. Carrie Underwood - Backsliding
079. Ariana Grande - No Tears Left to Cry
078. Cardi B - Bartier Cardi (feat. 21 Savage)
077. Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies
076. Mariah Carey - 8th Grade

:o :o :o
:cry: :cry: :cry:
Ok. So... I have to say, "No Tears Left To Cry" should be muuuuuuuch higher. But, I know you weren't a fan of this when it came out and it never really grew on you, so I guess I should be happy about a Top100 position at all?
Good group overall.
Yeah, at one point, it was well outside the top 100, so climbing to #79 was already huge movement. Thankfully, I think we're more in sync on at least two other Ariana songs this year. 8-)

Tansike wrote:073. Taylor Swift - Delicate
072. Ariana Grande - Get Well Soon
071. Troye Sivan - My My My!

Three strong tunes. Glad to see an appearance for "Get Well Soon" <3
It's a beautiful song!

Tansike wrote:070. Netta - Toy
069. Nicki Minaj - Majesty (feat. Eminem & Labrinth)
067. Rita Ora - Let You Love Me

Good group, I like them all. "Majesty" could work as a proper single IMO.
Eh, if she edits that line, yes, definitely.

Tansike wrote:065. Carrie Underwood - Kingdom
064. Janelle Monáe - Django Jane
062. Lorde - Homemade Dynamite (feat. Khalid, Post Malone, & SZA)

Another good group, "Homemade Dynamite" is definitely the best here.
Yeah, I'm a year late with "Homemade Dynamite", but better late than never, I suppose.

Tansike wrote:060. Nicki Minaj - Come See About Me
052. Cardi B - Money Bag

Hmm... I think the ones by Little Mix and Hozier are solid, but also quite disappointing comebacks. Cardi really was on a roll in 2018 and these are two of several good songs from her. Love that side of Nicki.
Aw, you didn't like "Nina Cried Power" and "Woman Like Me"? Both were big wins for me for both acts.

Yeah, Cardi's commercial success this year definitely surprised me, but it's great that a hip/hop female (other than Nicki) is doing so well on the charts.

Tansike wrote:048. Nicki Minaj - Bed (feat. Ariana Grande)

<3
I knew at least you would like "Bed"! 8-)

Tansike wrote:045. Lana Del Rey - Mariners Apartment Complex
043. CHVRCHES - Graves

"Solo" was and still is amazing. The lyrics may be a little bit awkward but the song still sounds kinda bittersweet, if that makes sense? So happy this was yet another success for Clean Bandit, especially because of Demi!
Yeah, it definitely makes sense; the song is still pretty sad, despite its upbeat tempo.

Tansike wrote:040. Janelle Monáe - Make Me Feel

Good group. 2018 has been the first time I got a bit into Janelle, with "Make Me Feel" being the main reason for that. "Always Remember Us This Way" is quite strong, too.
I already knew you appreciated "Caution", but still nice to see you quoting that one. :D

luckyONE wrote:I thought the 'Homemade Dynamite' album version was already pretty good and I don't mind the remix, but could do without Post Malone.

'Woman Like Me' is a bop. I think the opening lines by Jesy and Leigh-Ann are the best part. Thought the video was great, too. :D

'Babe' was a highlight for me this year. It even made me buy the 'Bigger' album by Sugarland. :lol: It's Taylor's power.

'Mariners Apartment Complex' is nice, love the story behind the song!
For me, Post Malone actually did a decent job on the track.

Yay at you appreciating "Woman Like Me"...and whoa at T-Swizzle's impact! :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:If you're offering it, I'll gladly take the credit there! :lol: ;)
8-)

phoenix98 wrote:• Both the song itself and the video for "Make Me Feel" are pretty exceptional, and REALLY ignited my interest in Janelle. Until your chart encouraged me to check out "Cold War," I'd gotten the impression that she might be a tad too experimental/avant-guard for me, based on what little I'd read about her and the Metropolis concept albums. Turns out she can concoct material that's plenty accessible while still being genre-blending and thought-provoking. I'm incredibly charmed by and just generally in awe of her now (as an artist, and what I've come to learn about her as a person too). This one's guaranteed a spot inside my Top 50 (likely Top 40).
Yeah, I have to thank Spotify for making music so accessible that I was able to randomly delve into various' artists discographies, and see if there was anything I liked. Early on, Janelle didn't seem like my cup of musical tea either, but I checked out some of her songs, and really started to appreciate her brilliant lyricism. This was in late 2017, which really set the stage for her to come in and blow me away Q1 of 2018.

phoenix98 wrote:• "Caution" does have some immediately-catchy stretches that stood out from my first listen through its parent album ("cause every time you leave I fall apart, boy you're the missing pieces of my heart..."), but I've definitely been underestimating its sultriness until I read your write-up. I'm not quite ready to be all "Step aside, 'Honey'!", but you do a great job of touting this track's sex appeal.
Yeah, I know it's an unpopular opinion calling it sexier than "Honey", but...I think it is. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Forgive the pedantic/"Um, actually..." moment, but I always thought it was "we don't need another ruler, all of my friends are kings", and I really loved the cleverness of that. Your comma analysis is giving me life! This'll probably miss the cut-off for my final Top 50, but not by a massive margin (Top 70ish).
I'm gonna blame Mariah for that typo, seeing as she was the act behind the song previous to "Crazy, Classic, Life". :lol: Thanks for the correction; lemme fix that now.

phoenix98 wrote:• The worst movie you've seen in 2018? Is this your way of checking to see who's actually reading the write-ups, or were you just feeling feisty and looking to start some forum fights? ;) No matter how deliberately hyperbolic or incendiary that remark may be, I applaud your bravery, and as pleased as I am for Gaga's success, it's refreshing to see someone (especially a Gaga fan) who doesn't treat that film like a life-altering experience. :lol:
No, it wasn't hyperbole; I truly think it was the worst movie I saw this year. :lol: It's not the first (nor will it be the last) time I disagree with the critics; I think I called Gravity the most boring movie of all-time a few years ago, and I still stand by that. :lol:

phoenix98 wrote:• Damn, you really WERE on the warpath when penning this batch: straight from dragging ASIB into dragging Kendrick's AND SZA's catalogs :o Admittedly, I haven't found myself drawn to most of Kendrick's offerings either, so "All The Stars" was an exception for me too in that regard.
Oh, I'm curious to see your thoughts on my favourite Black Panther song. I can't remember how you felt about it earlier on in the year.

JSparksFan
Legend

Return to Year End Personal Charts