Spartan's A-Z Chart (H)

Moderators: trebor, tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:09 pm

A Eurovision song in my countdown is certainly a rarity. Very few songs from the competition have a long-standing durability and age well but Goodbye To Yesterday is in my Top 5 most played songs of all-time, loved the performance on the night - the vocals are great and instrumental is strong. The other is the debut from a then-unknown Daniel Bedingfield, a catchy garage track Gotta Get Thru This cemented itself as a hit very quickly.
Spartan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:17 pm

I always thought Daniel should have had a bigger career than his sister. :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Spartan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:55 pm

cheapthrills wrote:I always thought Daniel should have had a bigger career than his sister. :lol:
Natasha deserves more success than she got, what a great performer she was. But Daniel faded so quickly into oblivion.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:01 pm

Spartan wrote:
Benny wrote:'Gloria' is great, I re-discovered it this year when it was featured in an episode of 'American Crime Story - The Assassination of Gianni Versace'.
I feel like I should've seen the show through, I gave up after the first episode.
That's a shame, I really enjoyed the show!

I liked 'Gotta Get Thru This' at the time, though I rarely listen to it nowadays, in contrast to 'If You're Not the One', which is my favourite Daniel Bedingfield song, by far.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:24 pm

Sorry for the delay in update, been busy with work and Christmas etc. The Script aren't a band that I normally listen to or am interested by but Hall Of Fame is a great catchy pop-rock song. I do find will.i.am's contribution a bit unnecessary, just like will.i.am himself. Girls Aloud's version of Blondie's Hanging On The Telephone is also here, one of my favourite cover versions of theirs and I actually prefer it to the original (especially the production, vocals equal Blondie's ones to).
Spartan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:50 pm

The Script have better, but like HoF nonetheless.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benny » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Wayne wrote:The Script have better, but like HoF nonetheless.
Benny
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Benny wrote:
What's The Script's best song? I'm also a fan of Breakeven and Superheroes.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:57 pm

Who would have thought that Michael Buble would have produced such a timeless, upbeat, original song among his silky smooth cover versions, Haven't Met You Yet still gets regularly churned out on radio stations and has become his signature hit. Lesser-known song Here Standing is an album track by The Saturdays - it's my favourite ballad of theirs, beating out the single Issues. This one highlights their vocals better and has a crisp production to it.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Benny » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:20 pm

Spartan wrote:
Benny wrote:
What's The Script's best song? I'm also a fan of Breakeven and Superheroes.
The Man Who Can't Be Moved or Breakeven, can't decide!
Benny
Legend

Postby navi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:30 am

Girls Aloud's version of Blondie's Hanging On The Telephone is also here, one of my favourite cover versions of theirs and I actually prefer it to the original (especially the production, vocals equal Blondie's ones to).
Hanging on the telephone isn't Blondie's original, it's a cover of the Nerves song

also original version of Gloria by italian singer Umberto Tozzi,
Laura's minor hit Ti Amo was as well Umberto's song
My year(s) in lists by Ivan (2008 - 2013)
navi
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:50 am

"Gloria" is good! I went into it thinking that it wouldn't have been as good as the Glee Cast cover, but it was just as impressive! Great vocals! I liked Jessica's "Gods & Monsters" interpretation. It's better than the original, though the song itself is still so distinctly Lana Del Rey.

"Goodbye to Yesterday" is divine, quite possibly my second favourite Eurovision discovery, after "Rise Like a Phoenix". "Gotta Get Thru This" is meh; I don't like it.

Yeah, I honestly can't think of a song where will.i.am's vocal really adds value. :lol: "Hall of Fame" is okay. "Hanging on the Telephone" is basic by GA's standards.

"Haven't Met You Yet" is lovely, and I think it's aged pretty well, too! It's a very Pete song! "Here Standing" is lovely, though the whole time I'm waiting for Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes to jump in and start belting "(I've Had) The Time of My Life". :lol:

Spartan wrote:I put Glitter & Gold on the UKMIX Spotify playlist if you checked that out. I love your love for Girl Overboard.
Ah, that's it! 8-)
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Gloria" is good! I went into it thinking that it wouldn't have been as good as the Glee Cast cover, but it was just as impressive! Great vocals! I liked Jessica's "Gods & Monsters" interpretation. It's better than the original, though the song itself is still so distinctly Lana Del Rey.

"Goodbye to Yesterday" is divine, quite possibly my second favourite Eurovision discovery, after "Rise Like a Phoenix". "Gotta Get Thru This" is meh; I don't like it.

Yeah, I honestly can't think of a song where will.i.am's vocal really adds value. :lol: "Hall of Fame" is okay. "Hanging on the Telephone" is basic by GA's standards.

"Haven't Met You Yet" is lovely, and I think it's aged pretty well, too! It's a very Pete song! "Here Standing" is lovely, though the whole time I'm waiting for Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes to jump in and start belting "(I've Had) The Time of My Life". :lol:
:lol: I'd love a desription of what a Pete song is. I forget that you knew GtY - genuinely surprised it didn't do better in Eurovision. Glad you loved the original to Gloria - I gotta give props to Glee as a show for introducing so many old songs to a new generation of people.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Heroes is one of Bowie's signature tunes and rightly so, husky vocals and meaningful lyrics equal a fantastic piece of music. The other song here is a lesser known 00s entry - former Busted member Matt Willis and his song Hey Kid which was featured in John Tucker Must Die - a great pop/rock song.
Spartan
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:50 pm

"Heroes" is good. "Hey Kid" has a lovely message!

Spartan wrote: :lol: I'd love a desription of what a Pete song is. I forget that you knew GtY - genuinely surprised it didn't do better in Eurovision. Glad you loved the original to Gloria - I gotta give props to Glee as a show for introducing so many old songs to a new generation of people.
Big, catchy chorus on 'structured' songs; warm vocals and earnest/endearing lyrics; eclectic/classic, musical-appropriate melody; and unstructured, hodgepodge arrangements. You have a wide-ranging taste, from the fabulous diva styling of a Barbra Streisand to obscure rock stuff, but most of the songs you love can fit within the aforementioned description.

I love that about Glee (and American Idol)!
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Heroes" is good. "Hey Kid" has a lovely message!

Spartan wrote: :lol: I'd love a desription of what a Pete song is. I forget that you knew GtY - genuinely surprised it didn't do better in Eurovision. Glad you loved the original to Gloria - I gotta give props to Glee as a show for introducing so many old songs to a new generation of people.
Big, catchy chorus on 'structured' songs; warm vocals and earnest/endearing lyrics; eclectic/classic, musical-appropriate melody; and unstructured, hodgepodge arrangements. You have a wide-ranging taste, from the fabulous diva styling of a Barbra Streisand to obscure rock stuff, but most of the songs you love can fit within the aforementioned description.

I love that about Glee (and American Idol)!
What a babe you are, such a good way with words.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Spartan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Adele stuns with awesome vocals in my favourite song of hers Hometown Glory. She has many great ballads and is always on point with her vocals but this was the first track of hers that I truly fell in love with. From the Pitch Perfect soundtrack, How A Heart Unbreaks is quite an odd inclusion in my mix. It's got a great mix of pop and rock vibes, with some solid vocals.
Spartan
Legend

Return to Personal Charts