Moderators: tdc2000, JSparksFan, FreakyFlyBry

Who's got my top spot in '06?

Fat Freddy's Drop - Wandering Eye
50%
Josh Pyke - Private Education
50%

Total votes : 2

Postby Virgostar » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:28 am

This one will more than likely start before my albums & worst of charts, since this one I'm getting prepared as I type.

This year I've got 1 new rule, which will probably make you all scratch your heads. Basically, I've got a few songs in from around mid-2005 that I didn't hear until around the end of last year, when I started my list for this year....therefore they've made the chart for 2006. Confused? I would be if I just read that :lol: You'll find out more as we go on though about that rule.

Also new this year....I'll be providing YouTube links to all the Aussie and Kiwi songs listed in this chart (and there's quite a few as usual this year), in the hope that you'll discover these songs and like them as much or as little as I do. :D

A recap of the top 5 from every year that I've done my charts on UKMIX:

1. Ms Dynamite - It Takes More/Shakira - Objection (Tango) (that year I couldn't decide on a #1, so they both got it)
3. Sugababes - Stronger
4. Alicia Keys - A Woman's Worth
5. Five For Fighting - Superman (It's Not Easy)

1. Candice Alley - Falling
2. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
3. Linkin Park - Numb
4. John Mayer - Bigger Than My Body
5. Jason Mraz - The Remedy (I Won't Worry)

1. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
2. John Mayer - Clarity
3. Brooke Fraser - Arithmetic
4. Brooke Fraser - Lifeline
5. Snow Patrol - Spitting Games

1. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
2. KT Tunstall - Black Horse & The Cherry Tree
3. Thirsty Merc - Someday Someday
4. Bernard Fanning - Wish You Well
5. KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See

There we go, that should keep you lot busy for a while...oh and as usual, there's a poll above, so start making your predictions!
Last edited by Virgostar on Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:52 am, edited 7 times in total.
Let's embrace the point of no return.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby pepster » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:44 am

Not sure why, but I think it'll be JT for #1. If not it might be Scissor Sisters :P
pepster
Legend

Postby ryan_9048 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:45 am

not sure if I'm correct, but I'm rooting for d monkeys
ryan_9048
Superstar

Postby innocenteyes » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:58 am

I've chosen Sugababes' Red dress
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby Tiger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:02 am

Fat Freddy's Drop - Wandering Eye 8-)

1. Ms Dynamite - It Takes More/Shakira - Objection (Tango) (that year I couldn't decide on a #1, so they both got it)
3. Sugababes - Stronger
4. Alicia Keys - A Woman's Worth

Great choices here! Sugababes is a really nice song and Shakira's rocks. Alicia Keys' is also very nice.

1. Candice Alley - Falling
2. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
3. Linkin Park - Numb
4. John Mayer - Bigger Than My Body
5. Jason Mraz - The Remedy (I Won't Worry)

Fantastic top 5 there Shell! Candice Alley aka bath lady (Remember?) is a FANTASTIC song and so are John Mayer and Jason Mraz ;)

1. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
2. John Mayer - Clarity
3. Brooke Fraser - Arithmetic
4. Brooke Fraser - Lifeline
5. Snow Patrol - Spitting Games

I think the best top 5 of the lot! Brooke Fraser (Both of course) are G-R-E-A-T and John Mayer and Snow Patrol too ;)

1. Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone
2. KT Tunstall - Black Horse & The Cherry Tree
5. KT Tunstall - Suddenly I See

WOO! KT Tunstall's songs are fab as usual and Kelly Clarkson is a modern classic.
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Dalmatin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:53 am

well, for me your obsession with Brooke Fraser is rather obvious, so I voted for her :D
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby matthew_dixon » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:22 am

Aye - I'm stunned it's not a landslide in the poll - there's surely no way it's anyone other than Brooke Fraser :o
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby Marius » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:16 am

matthew_dixon wrote:Aye - I'm stunned it's not a landslide in the poll - there's surely no way it's anyone other than Brooke Fraser :o
Well, yeah. Though I'd prefer da Monkeyz myself.
Let's have a second referendum
Marius
Legend

Postby steophonic » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:04 am

Looking forward to it - I have voted Brooke Fraser although it could be SS.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Postby chris975 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:15 am

No idea

voted for Madonna :wink:
chris975
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:28 am

Hmmmmmmmmm interesting predictions so far, you'll just have to wait & find out the results. :P :wink:

For now, I'll start on my first 10 songs in this countdown...

55. Keane - Is It Any Wonder?

Coming in last on my countdown this year is UK band Keane. I have to say, I was rather surprised that I managed to like this song, considering I've never liked anything the band has done before (they're a poor man's Coldplay to me, if that - or just a band trying to be like Coldplay, but failing miserably). Maybe cos they added guitar effects on this song, that might've been what made me like it. *shrugs* However, this song grew old rather quickly, hence its low position. It's already cropped up on at least one person's worst of chart this year (methinx it's T's), so I'm not surprised that people don't like it that much.

Peak Position: #81 US, #3 UK

54. Kelly Clarkson - Walk Away

The 5th and final single released from Kelly's sophomore smash comes in at a lowly #54. Why you ask? Just like with the Keane tune above, I grew bored of this one quickly, but for a different reason. The old chestnut - radio overkill. :roll: (No, not the fact that this year's Aussie Idol runner up Jess covered it on Rock night) Actually thought this might've been a double A-side with Gone, for a little while there Sydney radio was playing that tune too. Anyway, this makes it Kelly's 6th appearance on my chart in 3 years (Miss Independent #8, Low #17 in 2003; The Trouble With Love Is #55 in 2004; Since U Been Gone #1, Because Of You #23 in 2005).

Peak Position: #32 US, #21 UK, #19 NZ, #28 Oz

53. Starsailor - In The Crossfire

Now here's where my above rule about a song being 6 months or younger being still eligible for my chart. I didn't discover this one until around the start of this year, after it had come out in about October 2005 (from memory). A little fact you might not know - before this tune came along, I despised the band for the Four To The Floor remix which flooded the airwaves here a few years ago (and still does get played occasionally, much to my horror), basically cos the song got on my nerves in a major way. I haven't got anything else to say about this, aside from the fact that it kinda flopped in the UK.

Peak Position: #22 UK

52. The Fray - Over My Head (Cable Car)

In at #52 is another example of how radio airplay *cough*sorry, overkill*cough* can ruin a song in my eyes/ears. The Fray were the darlings of Aussie radio airplay lists a couple of months back with this tune, hitting #1 on our airplay chart and refusing to let go for at least a month or so. I must admit when I first heard this song, I had no idea who it was by or what it was called, but the voice seemed very familiar to me (kinda like Bernard Fanning crossed with somebody else) - I even asked a lady at my job at the time who it was by...she of course was clueless. However, weeks later I eventually found out. Anyway, they're pretty big in the US atm, however after this single was released here, their follow up didn't do so well chart wise in Oz.

Peak Position: #9 US, #22 Oz, #29 NZ

I'll leave it at that for now cos it's late here and I can't be bothered...there will be much more tomorrow, including songs from an artist and a band whose albums I bought in a foreign country, a band who were freaking awesome when I saw them live this year and (if I get around to doing it) the first antipodean entry for the chart - but is it from an Aussie or Kiwi act?
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Benjamin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:51 am

Woo for Kelly Clarkson! That song's so full of energy. I love it!
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Ahahuha » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:47 pm

my love
Ahahuha
Cult King

Postby innocenteyes » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:29 pm

Woo for Keane, Kelly Clarkson and The Fray.

I expect to see Rogue Traders in the next set of songs
Last edited by innocenteyes on Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
innocenteyes
Legend

Postby FreakyFlyBry » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:04 pm

Woo for these ones:

Virgostar wrote:55. Keane - Is It Any Wonder?
52. The Fray - Over My Head (Cable Car)
As for the poll, I really have no idea... but I guessed the Arctic Monkeys :P
FreakyFlyBry
No Title, No Topic

Postby pepster » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:24 pm

Keane and Kelly Clarkson are great :D
pepster
Legend

Postby Dalmatin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:13 pm

all four songs are good in some way, though I wasn't much into "Cable Car".. "Walk Away" is a nice catchy tune from Kelly's album
special WOO goes to Starsailor, that's one great song! :D as for "Four To The Floor", I still love it - in the original, not remixed, version 8-)
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby Tiger » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:38 pm

55. Keane - Is It Any Wonder?

Starsailor! Gorgeous tune there. I think Four To The Floor is really good btw. Kelly Clarkson had better but is still nice and so is Keane.
These foolish games are tearing me apart

My CHART
Tiger
Lover Of (Mostly) Everything Pop

Postby Terence » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:25 pm

I remember you & your Josh Pyke obsession, but I think the Sugababes will get it.

Bit surprised Sandi Thom's missing from the poll options. :P
Terence
Euro-trash Freak

Postby Marius » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:35 am

Lol for "the poor man's Coldplay"...

The Fray for me are something extremely boring and useless, but I like the other three.
Let's have a second referendum
Marius
Legend

Postby Virgostar » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:03 am

jlo17 wrote:
Bit surprised Sandi Thom's missing from the poll options. :P
A poor man's KT Tunstall perhaps? :lol: Nah, it's cos her music doesn't strike me as being anything interesting. As much as Punk Rocker got

irritatingly stuck in my head for a while, I still don't like it or her music.

P.S I'm still obsessed with the Pyke, can't wait for his debut album (and the potentiality of seeing him do a free gig on Australia Day woo! Unless I have to work, which will suck if I do)! :D

Anyhoo, next batch of tuneage...

51. James Blunt - Wisemen

The overexposed Mr Blunt (this song I had to listen to twice a day when I worked at my temporary job, this is how stupid radio is here) comes in at #51 with one of the better tunes from his debut. He would've had 2 songs in my best of chart for 2006 had Goodbye My Lover not got on my nerves so much (you'll see it in the worst chart, for reasons which I'll explain later). I get confused as to what order Blunty's singles went in, so methinx this is the 4th single or the 1st single which got re-released as the 4th single. :-? Anyway, interesting fact - this got released across the Tasman as the 2nd single, rather than Goodbye My Lover. Those Kiwis are smart. James makes his 2nd appearance on my chart in 2 years (You're Beautiful was #26 last year - yes, I didn't take to it like 1/2 of UKMIX did).

Peak Position: #21 NZ, #23 UK, #11 Oz

50. Franz Ferdinand - Walk Away

The 2nd UK single for the Scottish lads makes my top 50 for 2006. Their 2nd album was one of the albums (along with Blunty) that I bought overseas towards the end of last year (in Singapore to be precise) - I didn't buy their first, even though I ummed and aahed over it so much. Methinx they lost their way after this one was released, going downtempo wasn't such a great idea after all. I would've liked to have seen an animated video for this one (crazy I know), but apparently this wasn't the case (haven't YouTubed it to find out, maybe I should).

Peak Position: #13 UK

49. Coldplay - Talk

Before people start protesting at the low position for this, hear me out. I happen to think this is Coldplay's most overrated song ever (certainly around these parts anyway - yes, more than Yellow or Clocks or The Scientist) and it took me forever and a day to like it...and after much stubbornness, I did - for a while. Anyway, I went and saw these guys live in June (a gig I had been anticipating for a very long time) and they didn't disappoint at all...actually, this song was kinda better live, the crowd got right into it on the night I went. And just because I think this is overrated, doesn't mean I don't like the video - methinx the video for this is their best yet.

Peak Position: #10 UK, #20 Oz, #20 NZ, #86 US

48. Nelly Furtado feat Timbaland - Promiscuous

A worldwide hit for Ms Furtado comes in at #48 on my '06 chart. Why you ask? I didn't get into this immediately for starters, only after it peaked at #2 here did I get into it. However, the gloss on the song wore off very fast for me, hence its low position. I don't mind the track Nelly's taken musically, hip hop does seem to suit her a bit better . This makes it Nelly's 2nd appearance on my charts (Powerless was #12 in 2003).

Peak Position: #2 Oz, #1 US, #1 NZ, #3 UK

47. Vandalism - Never Say Never

Otherwise known as either the "I might like you better if we slept together" song or the cover of the Romeo Void 80's tune (I have heard the original since this was released and I have to say, I like the cover better), Aussie dance outfit Vandalism come in at #47 and are the first of many antipodean entries for this chart o' mine. A bit of background info - they comprise of Aussie DJs Andy Van (who will never ever shake off the Madison Avenue tag for as long as he lives and as much as he hates it) & Kam Denny, along with singer Cassie. Their follow up tune Twisted was a flop, so it looks like they might be sort of one hit wonders. This one can get a bit annoying if you listen to it too much...maybe that's why its been sitting forever on the Release Schedule.

Peak Position: #15 Oz

Up tomorrow (or so), we have 3 more Aussie entries from an Idol, a mellow guy & a girl group, along with a "diva", an American rock band and a guy who had a hit on my chart a few years back.
Virgostar
Ex-Admin

Postby Grybop » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:18 am

A great start to your countdown: Nelly. Coldplay, Keane and James Blunt, with, like you said, one of his better efforts.

Therer are some songs in your poll I don't know, and I think your #1 will be one of them, as much as I'd like to see Justin there instead :P
They need rappers like me
So they can get on their ****' keyboards and make me the bad guy, Chun-Li
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby space75 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:19 am

very interesting chart so fat...i d love too see arctics to top it
the future gets written today
space75
Legend

Postby Dalmatin » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:35 am

Blunt, Franz and Coldplay - just great! 8-)
"Promiscuous" - awful
Dalmatin
A Wolf At The Door

Postby steophonic » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:50 am

Some good songs from earlier in the year there... James Blunt, Franz Ferdinand & Coldplay. That Nelly one is finally growing on me too.
steophonic
Music Junkie

Return to Year End Personal Charts