Benny
matthew_dixon
Gravity
bluecherry
Controlfreak
cheapthrills

We'll start shortly. First, some teasers:
- 494 songs were voted for
- Only 45 different acts appear in the top 100, so expect multiple entries for some artists

As I said, almost 500 songs were voted for! A lot of these were songs with just one vote, and so I will NOT be presenting an entire bubbling under list. Instead, I'll post 200-101 over the course of the countdown, and once we're complete, people may ask me about certain songs if they want to know the exact position.
I will also not be posting specific voter info. This is for two reasons - it's more time consuming and there'll be some songs which were voted for by just 3 voters. I think if that's revealed for those entries, it's kinda underwhelming. I'll post the scores and make reference to individual voters in the commentary though.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby cheapthrills » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:36 pm

Why is everyone else on top of me in that list? >:(
Why not participate in the Billboard Songs of the Summer Survivor?
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:53 pm

100. Aaliyah - Miss You (2002) (88 points)
In 2001, the R&B world was rocked when one of its most promising stars was tragically killed in a plane crash. Aaliyah was just 22 years old. 18 months later, a posthumous album entitled 'I Care 4 U' was released, with 'Miss You' (a song recorded in 1999) serving as the lead single. The video features tributes from several of Aaliyah's peers from the world of R&B and Hip-Hop, including Missy Elliott, DMX, Lil Kim and Toni Braxton. It went to #1 on the Billboard R&B chart, as well as #3 on the Hot 100, and top 20 across Europe, becoming one of her biggest hits.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:00 pm

99. Ne-Yo - So Sick (2005) (89 points)
Although Ne-Yo is now one of the most prominent producers in R&B, for his breakthrough hit, he enlisted the duo Stargate for production. Along with video director legend Hype Williams, there was a lot of star power in this single, and it all paid-off, becoming a #1 song in the US and the UK! It remains his biggest hit worldwide and was #9 for abi.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:07 pm

98. Ashanti - Rock Wit U (Aww Baby) (2003) (89 points)
At the start of the decade, there was a lot of buzz about Ashanti, who had begun appearing on several rap songs. After a successful debut album, she followed it up with 'Chapter II' in 2003. That summer, she released the lead single 'Rock Wit U', showcasing a new svelte figure in the video, and it became a big summer hit reaching the top 10 in the US and UK. Supposed Ashanti fan Carbon put it highest at #11.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:12 pm

97. Amerie - Why Don't We Fall in Love (2002) (89 points)
Also creating buzz in the first half of the decade was Amerie (now known as Ameriie), an African-American-Korean singer. It was released as her debut single worldwide and became a top 10 R&B hit in the US. It also introduced many to the producer Rich Harrison, before he hit it big with Beyonce the following year. I ranked this highest - my #6.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 pm

96. John Legend - Ordinary People (2005) (90 points)
John Legend was already well-known in the music industry before releasing his debut album in 2004, mostly due to his work with Kanye West. In 2005, his second single 'Ordinary People' was released, a simple but strong piano ballad. Although the song was not a massive hit at first, it was awarded with a Grammy Award for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance. Since its initial release, it has grown in popularity and managed to re-peak in the UK at #4 in 2012.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Gravity » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:34 pm

I cannot listen to Miss You. I just can't. :cry:

Rock Wit U (Awww Baby) is THE bop! One of her best songs. You better stan Carbon :lol:

Why Don't We Fall In Love is my ultimate summer bop :)
Bring me home in a blinding dream
Through the secrets that I have seen
Wash the sorrow from off my skin
And show me how to be whole again
Gravity
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:40 pm

My thoughts on this batch:

Miss You - I loved this so much when it came out in winter 2002, but I overplayed it and I've never liked it as much since then. I still voted for it though, because I voted for songs which I liked most during the decade rather than my current top 50. It always make me quite sad :cry:

So Sick - I kinda liked this when it came out, but I just listened to it after years and it's really boring!

Rock Wit U - I also loved this in summer 2003 - it was so sexy and summery. Memories of hanging out with my friends that summer.

Why Don't We Fall in Love - this was my #1 song of 2002, and for a while, it was my #3 song of all-time! I loved everything about it - her voice, the production, the video, her look. That was one of the best summers ever too, so the two went well together. It got a lot of airplay throughout the summer (which is when I heard it) but it wasn't released in the UK until November! This was a summer hit, not winter! It really got my interested in Amerie though and I dug her first two albums. Remains my fav song by her.

Ordinary People - this is just background noise for me
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Wayne » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 pm

The only song within that batch of note for me is Ordinary People.

John Legend showed real promise with that, it still stands up as a brilliant song.
"If we are all in the gutter
It doesn’t change who we are
‘Cause some of us in the gutter
Are looking up at the stars"
Wayne
Legend

Postby HotPotato » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:34 pm

No standouts there, they have all done better (I'm not including John Legend as I don't care about him.)

I will however say I wish Amerie had released the delicious, cancelled single from Crush from Because I Love It, then I could have had that on my list.

Aaliyah was a goddess, Miss You is nothing special.
This ain't gon be easy
HotPotato
Manager

Postby Carbon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Wayne wrote:The only song within that batch of note for me is Ordinary People.

John Legend showed real promise with that, it still stands up as a brilliant song.
Try Miss You! It's great even for me as a non-fan of Aaliyah.

Rock Wit U is so cool and beachy, tho admittedly I loathed it back then, always skipped it. Now I dig it.
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:20 pm

95. Mariah Carey - Loverboy (2001) (90 points)
The Ultimate UKMIX Female Act 2016 has several entries on the countdown, and the first one is probably the most infamous song of her career. Released in 2001 from the 'Glitter' soundtrack, it was ripped to shreds and has become synonymous with rock bottom for Mariah professionally and personally. The video features Mariah in a variety of skimpy outfits, most famously the red bandanna, but it was her appearance on TRL which caused the most controversy, in which she had an on-air meltdown while dishing out ice cream and promoting this song. It became her first lead single to miss #1 in the US (although it did go to #2 and #1 on the R&B charts). The song also sparked the long-lasting feud between Mariah and Jennifer Lopez. I could write so much more about this one, but let's leave it there..
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 pm

94. Janet Jackson - Feedback (2007) (90 points)
The 2000s weren't too kind to Janet, and after a couple of subtle lead singles, she surprised everyone with 'Feedback' in late 2007, a song which many considered an instant Jackson classic. Janet returned to her dance roots, although this time working with Rodney 'Darkchild' Jerkins, and not longtime collaborators Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. 'Feedback' generated a huge amount of buzz online when it leaked, but messy record label politics and release schedules scuppered its chances of becoming a big hit, peaking at an average #19 on the Hot 100, however it did become her biggest hit in years in some territories. 'Feedback' picked up 8 votes which is more than the song at #13!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Ivica » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:30 pm

damn I wated to vote, but completely forgot for it.. :(
Ivica
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:41 pm

93. Alicia Keys - Diary (2004) (91 points)
Perhaps the biggest R&B star to emerge during the decade was Alicia Keys, who has become one of the best-selling and most awarded artists of the new millennium. Expect many entries from her on the countdown. Starting her off is 'Diary', a song from her sophomore album, released only in the US. This probably hindered its popularity on this countdown, but with 49 points from goddessriah, it manages to chart anyway. It was one of the biggest R&B hits of the year in the US, peaking at #2 on that chart.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:19 pm

Loverboy - one of my favourite Mariah songs (even if it is tacky) and the infamy surrounding it make me like it more! It was a crazy ride at the time though, I remember being gobsmacked at the video, like what was she doing?! 19 points from me

Feedback - of course I love this song, but it leans more towards the dance side for me, so I only gave it 4 points because there are so many more songs which are pure R&B to me - same reason I didn't vote for Rock With U. Nice to see it chart though, I'm sure some were expecting it to be higher.

Diary - I love this song, it's my favourite from Alicia Keys! And as much as it has so much nostalgia for me, it was never a single in the UK, so it didn't feel right voting for it.

*I've just checked and Aaliyah was also #100 on the 90s R&B Countdown, with One in a Million!
biscuits
The Diva

Postby HotPotato » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 pm

Loverboy is pure ratchet deliciousness. Wayyy too cluttered but superfun.

Feedback is great too.
This ain't gon be easy
HotPotato
Manager

Postby Erotica » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:13 am

Feedback and So Sick are great
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby stevyy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:36 am

Loverboy is one of the most controversial songs and eras in popular music. I love the remix version with da Brat. The modulation in the melody in that version is sublime. Da Brat also shreds J.Lo in her verse. It's too funny.

Diary is a masterpice from Alicia. I've been saying it for years... (along with Florence) she is the best artist who debuted in the 00's and her crown was further cemented by her latest album which puts all R&B releases of 2016 to shame, including the infamous Lemonade.

I also agree with Wayne on Ordinary People. What a legendary, classic and exciting song.
stevyy
Legend

Postby abi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:29 am

Lost "So Sick" and "Feedback" this time. I'm not sure if "Ordinary People" made my list but I remember it was one of my first choices.

"So Sick" is an R&B classic. Ne-Yo has recorded some great songs since then like "Mad", "Because of You", etc but nothing comes close to "So Sick".

"Feedback" is one of the few Janet singles that I actually enjoy. The video is iconic tbh. Sometimes I imagine it would be epic if she performed the song live Beyonce-style with the hologram/video-mapping during the final dance break just like how it is in the music video.

"Ordinary People" is one of John's best songs easily. It's simply about his vocals.

"Diary" is another great song, but I guess it didn't make my list simply because I felt like there were too many Alicia's in mine.

Not a fan of Aaliyah & Ashanti in general.
abi
Legend

Postby Gravity » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:42 am

Loverboy is...alright. Not a bad song but not worthy of this list.

Never liked Feedback.

Diary is a beautiful, sublime song. One of Alicia's best.
Bring me home in a blinding dream
Through the secrets that I have seen
Wash the sorrow from off my skin
And show me how to be whole again
Gravity
Superstar

Postby LambChild » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:36 pm

I'm a disappointment to Lambs around the world for forgetting Loverboy. It would've been in my top 20 if I didn't.
funny how one can learn
to grow numb to the madness
and block it away
LambChild
Manager

Postby goddessriah » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Just realized the countdown has started already! Excited :D :D !

Comments:

Miss You- Love Aaliyah, and this song always makes me miss someone despite no one to miss. Not at her best though, but she released so few singles in the 00's.

So Sick- Loved it when i first heard it, but now, I'm so sick of so sick.

Rock Wit U- Summer Bop! Should have ranked it higher!

Loverboy- the greatest flop of all time :D I listen to this and sing it in public without shame

Feedback- Not bad, one of Janet's best dance/electro songs

Diary- Absolutely love this song. Wish we could have had more of Tony Toni Tone! His vocals at the end is divine!
MC....In The Place To Be
goddessriah
Roadie

Postby biscuits » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

92. Omarion - Ice Box (2006) (91 points)
Although Omarion was the frontman of B2K, he has never really made it big, and is far from a household name. Therefore, it's fair to say 'Ice Box's popularity is purely down to the song itself, and not the artist behind it. With Timbaland on the beats and Solange featuring in the video, it became Omarion's biggest hit, going top 5 on the R&B charts and top 20 on the Hot 100 and UK charts. It is the only Omarion/B2K song on our countdown, with 40 points coming from Erotica
biscuits
The Diva

Return to Mad About Music