Total votes : 15

Postby Thriller » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:13 pm

SOON...

Thriller

Postby Thriller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:35 am

WRITTEN BY: Kelly Sheehan, Jacob Kasher and Mike Del Rio
TAKEN FROM: Kiss Me Once [2014]
CHART POSITION: 12

Into The Blue is typical 2010s Kylie; a simple and non-threatening pop track with a happy, carefree melody and lyrical content. The chorus has a triumphant call to it and the instrumentation on the outro gives it a poignant feel, making it a strong lead single but only falling down slightly in that it feels like All The Lovers' slightly more demure, older sister.
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:21 am

Looking forward to this as i do love a bit of Kylie. :D

No poll to predict the #1? :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby Thriller » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:04 pm

JakeP wrote:Looking forward to this as i do love a bit of Kylie. :D

Good idea! I've added one. Not guaranteeing that all of those songs will even be in the top 40 though.
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Thriller wrote:
JakeP wrote:Looking forward to this as i do love a bit of Kylie. :D

Good idea! I've added one. Not guaranteeing that all of those songs will even be in the top 40 though.
Some of my absolute favourites are listed so i'm happy about that at least. :D <3
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:49 pm

This will be interesting :)

I don't like Into the blue, worst song on the album, weak first single
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:50 pm

some old-school fun :lol:
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:55 pm

my personal top 5 of Kylie solo ('Where The Wild Roses Grow'' with Nick Cave would have been no.3 had it been included) is:
1. Where Is The Feeling?
2. The One (Album version)
3. Did It Again
4. Confide In Me
5. Some Kind Of Bliss
heppolo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:38 am

WRITTEN BY: Kylie Minogue, Greg Kurstin and Karen Poole
TAKEN FROM: X [2007]
CHART POSITION: 5

Wow was the second single taken from X, which saw Kylie lead with one of her boldest lead singles to date and then revert straight back to disco-pop for this tune. There were much better tracks left on the album, but we'll come to that later. Wow's charm lies in its hark back to the 80s with elements of Kylie's work with SAW crossed with early Madonna. It packs a punch and doesn't hold back on being a fun commercial Kylie bop.
Thriller

Postby Thriller » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:03 am

WRITTEN BY: Pharrell Williams
TAKEN FROM: Kiss Me Once [2014]
CHART POSITION: 59

I Was Gonna Cancel landed as the second (and sadly last) single from Kiss Me Once and had all the hallmarks of a hit in that era; written and produced by Pharrell, it has a Daft Punk-esque electro/funk current running through it, Blondie-esque disco bells and a catchy hook. Sadly, Kylie's stock was too low at this time to make it a hit and the video was a disaster but I enjoyed it from first listen and think it still holds up well now.
Thriller

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:28 pm

LOL, I'm not a fan of I Was Gonna Cancel, so I'm good with its placement, but sad to see Wow near the bottom. That's such a fun Kylie song :)
Vote for your favorite Christmas songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby JakeP » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Yeah i have to admit i found I was gonna cancel a really disappointing choice for a single.

Wow was Kylie back to her pure pop best and i think it eventually outperformed 2 hearts which was quite a rare achievement for Kylie.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Erotica » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:16 pm

I like the last two songs
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:22 am

WRITTEN BY: Kylie Minogue, Steve Anderson and Dave Seaman
TAKEN FROM: Impossible Princess [1997]
CHART POSITION: 14

Did It Again (originally titled Clever Girl) came as the second single from Impossible Princess, the "Indie Kylie" era that saw her experiment with post-Britpop and experimental sounds. This track is bold, punchy and stroppy with an entertaining video to boot and combines guitar-pop with Asian influences to create one of the more interesting singles of her career from a commercially underrated era.
Thriller

Postby Benjamin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:25 am

Yay Kylie countdown! :)

Glad to see 'Into The Blue' here. I always felt this song was quite underrated.

As for 'Wow', I really like it, but for me it wasn't one of the highlights of 'X'.

'I Was Gonna Cancel' is a fun track, very different for Kylie, but quite forgettable as well.

'Did It Again' is superb.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JakeP » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:40 pm

I was only young when Kylie went through her indie phase in 1997 so have no recollection of that time. It was only after Spinning around became such a big hit that i started watching the early Kylie videos on VH1.

Kylie really missed a trick in 1997 as this was when dance/pop was popular and a song Spinning around could've been so much successful in 1997. That said, i love Confide in me and that seemed more experimental when you consider those Kylie songs from the late 80s/early 90s.
JakeP
Manager

Postby Thriller » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:53 pm

JakeP wrote:Kylie really missed a trick in 1997 as this was when dance/pop was popular and a song Spinning around could've been so much successful in 1997.
Interesting theory, but I feel like 2000 was the perfect time for her to come back with Spinning Around as that summer played host to many disco-tinged hits like Don't Call Me Baby, Groovejet and Lady (Hear Me Tonight) so it fit the sound. Although I do think if she'd released a typical dance/pop album in 1997 she'd have not experienced her wilderness years - although she perhaps had to in order to get it so right for Light Years and subsequently Fever.
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:52 pm

I suppose that Kylie wanted to be liked not only by the general public but by the critics as well.
When if not in the 90s she could have tried to get more experimental without completely falling off the radar.
However, it might have been a move towards the album-seller orientation back in the day when Alanis Morissette and Bjork were selling a lot
heppolo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:30 pm

heppolo wrote:I suppose that Kylie wanted to be liked not only by the general public but by the critics as well.
When if not in the 90s she could have tried to get more experimental without completely falling off the radar.
However, it might have been a move towards the album-seller orientation back in the day when Alanis Morissette and Bjork were selling a lot
I guess her 94-98 era was just a natural progression for an artist who was in her mid 20s and had spent most of her career as a SAW pop puppet. She definitely needed it to show that she was an artist who had longevity and creativity; so many of the tracks from that era are firm fan favourites now and Confide In Me reaching #2 showed that there was an appetite for an alternative Kylie. Her 2000 reinvention combined her new maturity with her pop roots perfectly.
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:33 pm

Love Wow! Cancel and Did It Again are nice

Into the Blue is so basic and underwhelming, honestly can't believe it was a lead single
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:01 am

"Into the Blue" is nice. It'd probably (barely) make my Kylie Top 40, too. I prefer the video to the song actually.

"Wow" is such a non-event for me. "I Was Gonna Cancel" is a huge Kylie favourite of mine; for me, it's easily the best song on Kiss Me Once, and it's reminiscent of the shameless 80s pure pop sound I love from her.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:59 am

I LOVEE Into The Blue, such an underrated track.
Wow is catchy, but not one of her best and I'm not a big fan of both I Was Gonna Cancel and Did It Again.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:36 pm

WRITTEN BY: Karen Poole and Johnny Douglas
TAKEN FROM: Body Language [2003]
CHART POSITION: 6

Chocolate served as the third and final single from Body Language and it was instantly a favourite of mine from the first time I listened to the album. Sultry, smooth, seductive; Kylie almost whispers her way through this R&B/funk slow-jam. The bridge is especially delectable to the ears. Some of the critics complained Chocolate was dated but I think that was its whole beauty, it sounded classic 70s.
Thriller

Postby heppolo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:15 pm

^Good one, served well to maintain the era's success.
heppolo
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:49 pm

Since "Chocolate" is part of your poll, I didn't expect it to fall so soon. :o

Is this song really your favourite taken from "Body Language" = no more songs from that album are about to follow? - I really need to see "Slow" smashing here!

"Did It Again" is cool and wow! I had no clue it was originally called "Clever Girl". Thanks for sharing that information with us!

Sadly, I didn't like anything from "Kiss Me Once" that much.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Personal Charts