Cheapthrills' Top 100 Artists 1997-2018 - #51 - #49

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:34 pm

Hello!

I hope to see you all when I start this. :)
Last edited by cheapthrills on Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:04 am, edited 23 times in total.
It's time for the 2000-2009 Female-Led Singles Countdown!
and my Top 100 Artists countdown!
More? How about a survivor based on a countdown?
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:43 am

cheapthrills wrote:1. If it is something you do, how do you calculate points for a particular song in general?
If it's a Top 20 chart, 20 points for #1, 19 points for #2, and so on.

cheapthrills wrote:2. For an artist chart, do you distinguish between whether an artist is featured or lead? For example, Dua Lipa is featured on "Scared to Be Lonely," but Martin Garrix is the lead artist - would you qualify her for full points? Some other examples:
a. Love the Way You Lie - Rihanna?
b. Monster - Nicki Minaj?
c. E.T. - Kanye West?
For me, this has to do with how key the featured artist is to my enjoyment of the song. For all the examples listed, the featured artists play key roles (for me) so I'd give them full points.

cheapthrills wrote:3, If a song debuts in one year, but peaks in another, to which year do you attribute that song?
To the year in which it accumulates the greater number of points. On the off chance that the points are spread out exactly evenly, then to the year in which I feel best represents my love for the song, if that makes any sense (for instance, "Drunk in Love" first hit #1 on my chart in 2013, but it got most of its plays within, and I have more memories of it from, 2014).

cheapthrills wrote:I hope to see you all when I start this. :)
Looking forward to it.
If grass can grow through cement, love can find you at every time in your life.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks, JSparks :D

I like your approach to featured artists. I guess I ask because there's a small handful of artists who have a lot of top tens because they are featured often rather than lead, so it feels like their position might be inflated.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:49 pm

cheapthrills wrote:Thanks, JSparks :D

I like your approach to featured artists. I guess I ask because there's a small handful of artists who have a lot of top tens because they are featured often rather than lead, so it feels like their position might be inflated.
No problem!

Yeah, some artists shine more on other acts' songs than they do on their own. Nicki Minaj is one of my all-time favourite artists, and a huge chunk of her best verses are on others' songs (most notably "Monster" and "Bottoms Up"). It'd be tough for me to disassociate her from those songs despite the fact that she's not the lead act.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:11 am

Thanks, JSF :D

I am in the process of scoring my artists, but it is taking way longer than I ever imagined :P
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby leomedar » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:25 am

I 'd do something different. For me just one point difference between #1 and #2 seems way too low! In general I'd give something like this:
I tend to start with a 5 points gap between positions, at a certain point move to 4 point gap, then 3 points gap, then 2 points gap and then 1 point gap.

Also, When there is an artist and features, what aI do is this:
Let's say #1 song gets 100 points. If it is a solo artist, 100 points for him/her; if it is one artist + 1 feat, 75/25 as for me the lead artist is the one representing the song; then if it two equal leads, I give 50/50, but if you have clearly 1 or more leads and 1 or more feats, I digvide 75 equally between the leads and 25 equally between the feats

ie: Charlotte Lawrence, Nina Nesbitt & Sasha Sloan - Psychopath
Than would be 33.33% of the points for each artist

Charlie Puth feat. Kehlani - Done For Me
75% for Charlie, 25% fro Kehlani

Banx & Ranx + Ella Eyre ft. Yxng Bane - Answerphone
75% divided between Banx & Ranx and Ella Eyre, 25% for Yxng Bane

I know, it may seem complicated LOL That's me
leomedar
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 pm

Thanks, leo! Not sure if you will see this response, but I am only considering top ten positions. What do you think I should make the gap between them? I Kind of want to reward acts that managed to make the top ten rather than give them too much weight for havign one really successful song, so I'm trying to figure out how that could best work.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby trebor » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:14 pm

cheapthrills wrote:2. For an artist chart, do you distinguish between whether an artist is featured or lead? For example, Dua Lipa is featured on "Scared to Be Lonely," but Martin Garrix is the lead artist - would you qualify her for full points? Some other examples:
My 2 cents: The lead artist always gets 100% and the featured artist(s) 25%

Points: Also, if you are only using a Top 10 then the ESC formula is simple and a known standard (12-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1).
trebor
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:09 pm

I've finally gone through all my top tens, and will be assigning artists points, so hopefully, I can finally get this started in the next few weeks.

After the above, I think I will take JSparks suggestions for features, and assign them accordingly to my enjoyment of the song. Akon is featured on Sexy Chick, but is the vocal of the song, so I wouldn't assign him featuring credit there. However, he is more incidental in Gwen Stefanis Sweet Escape, so I would assign 25% there as trebor suggested.

I think in scoring, I will use a modified version of trebor's Eurovision suggestion 12.10. 8. 7. 6. and then 5 for anything ranked 6-10. I am also going to count weeks at #1 and weeks in the top 10 as part of the scoring.

I also am going to restrict placement to artists who have either had at least three top five songs or four top ten songs.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby BodyShop » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm excited for this ! :D
Could you PM me when it starts?
I'm terrible at remembering threads or ,sometimes,even finding them :oops:
BodyShop
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Ohh nice :D Look forward to following this countdown. I've no doubt that it'll be spectacular.

Crazy Frog for #99 :lol: :P
JakeP
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed May 02, 2018 11:11 pm

Yay, some interest! :D

I will definitely PM you guys when it gets started. I am almost done doing the calculations. The way I did the calcuations seems to align with how I feel the artists so I don't think there is any need to reconfigure. There are a handful of artists whose rankings are a bit inflated, but not enough to complete change the methodology. I think I will start this at the end of the month - a nice summer countdown :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby BodyShop » Wed May 09, 2018 3:31 am

Bring it :D
BodyShop
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Wed May 16, 2018 5:25 am

UGH, my spreadsheet with all the calculations is on my laptop which I can no longer charge. Hope I can get it working soon :(
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Thu May 24, 2018 8:51 pm

I was able to get my spreadsheet back so I will start this in about a week :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 pm

cheapthrills wrote:I was able to get my spreadsheet back so I will start this in about a week :)
Awesome! 8-)
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Thu May 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Will follow.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:59 am

The COUNTDOWN BEGINS NOW!

I'll bounce between the bubbling under artists and the top 100. But to finally get this going, here are the first five bubbling under artists. Ready to face the wrath :lol:

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:08 am

Holy Jesus, is that Snoop Dogg I see above Britney Spears?
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:23 am

I know! I guess I've really ignored Brit on my charts all these years. My chart started in November of 1997, so it's been around for her whole career! I was also strongly #teamChristina in the early days and thought she deserved just as much love, if not more, than Britney, so I think I took it out on her in my personal chart. :lol:

As for Snoop, he's at least had a number one song in Beautiful. Britney only made the top five once with Oops.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:39 am

cheapthrills wrote:I know! I guess I've really ignored Brit on my charts all these years. My chart started in November of 1997, so it's been around for her whole career! I was also strongly #teamChristina in the early days and thought she deserved just as much love, if not more, than Britney, so I think I took it out on her in my personal chart. :lol:

As for Snoop, he's at least had a number one song in Beautiful. Britney only made the top five once with Oops.
Only one Top 5 hit is harsh, but I'm sure there'll be loads of acts I love still to come. Lemme address these first five.

Leona Lewis is one of my favourite talent show graduates, comfortably Top 10 in that category, and coming from a guy whose introduction to 'new' music between 2005 and 2007 came almost exclusively through American Idol, that's not a light ranking. Spirit has to be one of the best debut albums ever, but she never really captured that magic again. "Happy" was phenomenal, but Echo, overall, was pretty meh. "Bleeding Love" is probably my favourite song from her as well, though "Run" and "Happy" aren't far behind.

I've listened to three Plain White T's songs in the last six years: "Our Time Now", "Hey There Delilah", and "1,2,3,4". "Our Time Now" is my favourite from them.

Britney Spears is one of my great musical love affairs. I'm not blind to her obvious shortcomings, but there hasn't been a better pure pop act in the last 20 years for me. Her music helped me through some rough times, and she's an inspiration of sorts for me. I adore her.

Zayn has put out some impressive singles as a solo act, and may prove to be the best of the 1D guys. Harry and Niall have potential, too, but Zayn's "Pillowtalk"-"It's You"-"I Don't Wanna Live Forever"-"Dusk Till Dawn" series is a tough one to beat.

I grew up listening to Snoop Dogg's music, not of my own volition, but because hip/hop is inescapable where I live. "Drop It Like It's Hot" is a classic that I can get into, though.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:20 am

Thanks for the comments, JSparks <3

I think Zayn has so much potential. I hope he continues to challenge people.

As for Britney, she's definitely a blind spot on my charts. I had come around on her by the time Womanizer came out but by then she was a decade into her career and I had missed most of the best part of her musical career. One of my great chart regrets was not charting Toxic.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:23 am

I was going to post three artists a day, but I can see some days, it will be good to just get something posted. My eyes are burning from lack of sleep, so I will just give this a soft start with the #100 artist :)

cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:31 am

cheapthrills wrote:One of my great chart regrets was not charting Toxic.
Does your chart have a rule about songs being ineligible after a certain point past its release date?

I've heard of Chris Cornell, and Soundgarden, but I'm not sure I've seen the name Audioslave before, and I'm close to positive I haven't actively listened to a song of theirs. I'll check out "Doesn't Remind Me" later.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:51 am

JSparksFan wrote:
cheapthrills wrote:One of my great chart regrets was not charting Toxic.
Does your chart have a rule about songs being ineligible after a certain point past its release date?

I've heard of Chris Cornell, and Soundgarden, but I'm not sure I've seen the name Audioslave before, and I'm close to positive I haven't actively listened to a song of theirs. I'll check out "Doesn't Remind Me" later.
Yes, generally a song has to be released in the last six months to chart, though I have made exceptions for various reasons.

Audioslave existed for only a short time. I think I read on Wiki that Cornell had issues with the other band members (who I think were all from Rage Against the Machine?) and so they disbanded. The remaining members went on to form another band. Apparently they reunited for one performance just a few months before his death.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Return to Personal Charts