Cheapthrills' Cheap 40 - Top 40 Songs of 2017 | COMPLETED

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby cheapthrills » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:54 pm

Hello!

I would like to thank those of you who have followed my chart in its debut year. It gets quiet in there, but it's nice to know some of you check it regularly. :)

I'll post some honorable mentions soon and then I will post the results of the top 40 songs over the next week or so.

Any guesses for songs in the top 10? :)
Last edited by cheapthrills on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Vote for songs in the Summertime Madness Tournament!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:53 am

Guess not. :lol:

Honorable Mentions:

Image Stay - Zedd ft. Alessia Cara
Image Snowman - Sia
Image Feels - Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell, Katy Perry, and Bryson Tiller
Image I Feel It Coming - The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk
Image Cannonball - ZZ Ward ft. The Fantastic Negrito
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:04 pm

#40 Systemagic - Goldfrapp
20-18-13-8-7-7-6-6-4-8-16
Peak: August

Goldfrapp has charted four times on my chart, and they seem to space out every few years. Three of those four have now made the year-end top 40, though they just squeak by this year, barely holding on to avoid being eclipsed by Sia's Snowman. As for Systemagic, it needed a few listens to really like it, but once I did, it was completely captivating - Goldfrapp's trademark breathy vocal and one of their better amped-up backing tracks made for a regular listen.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:12 pm

#39 Shot By My Own Gun - Sam Feldt ft. The Federal Empire
13-11-4-3-5-3-5-9-16
Peak: November

Sam Feldt is a regular visitor to the chart and managed to capture the #1 song of 2014. While he had a number of songs make the top 20 this year, this was his only bona fide success. It managed to scrape into the top 40 with a successful run in the top five. Despite it's low appearance, it is probably one of the best Sam Feldt tracks Ive heard - he tries something different here than the tropical flute-based EDM he had done in the best, mashing up with guitar-stomping and a twangy vocal, the song is eminently singable, and made a late break into the top five in early November.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:18 pm

"Feels" is the only big omission from your missed list.

I'm guessing that the Top 10 will look like:

- Feel It Still (#1)
- Despacito
- Never Give Up
- The Underside of Power
- Love on the Brain
- It Ain't Me
- Bodak Yellow
- Love So Soft
- Havana
- Body Like a Back Road
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:30 pm

#38 Santa's Coming For Us - Sia
9-10-9-6-5-3-2-2
Peak: December

Yeah, I have no idea what Kristen Bell is doing in the video either, but at least we get a break from Maddie Ziegler in a Sia video this time. In an odd twist, Snowman, which held the #1 position, the last five weeks just misses the top 40 for the year while its counterpart just makes it. Santa's Coming For Us makes the cut primarily because it got an earlier release than Snowman and hence an extra week in which to accumulate points. Snowman is the first #1 song to miss the year-end top 40 since 2005! Anyhow, whereas Snowman was instantly lovable, SCFU took a little bit more time - part of it to get over that vaguely threatening title, and part to get into the Caribbean vibe of the song, which is such a disconnect with cold weather. Eventually, I frew to love it as much as Snowman though. It even had a writeup in the Seasonal Countdown, which, if you didn't check out, you should by all means. I cribbed the layout from there to here :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:42 pm

#37 Awoo - Sofi Tukker ft. Betta Lemme
17-12-9-7-7-4-2-4-9-14-20

When it comes to Spotify, I tend to stick to my playlist and nothing else, but occasionally, Spotify hiccups and starts playing whatever it damn well pleases based on songs I've added. Usually, I turn that nonsense right off, but this one held me at bay long enough to give it repeated listens. The song was apparently already a year old by the time I heard it, but the hypnotic singing echo of each line drew me in, even if the lyrics became repetitive. Actually, with regard to that, it's kind of a cool trick that the repetitiveness is played almost as a separate instrument in the song.

Also, I am pretty sure I thought the featured name was Brett the whole time I charted it. :lol:
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Tansike » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:48 pm

So, i really like all honorable mentions :o Very pleased with ZZ Ward. I really enjoyed her album this year.
"Stay" and "Feels" are both amazing, two of my highlights this year :D

As for the main countdown, i like Sia's one so far :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:54 pm

#36 Symphony - Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson
17-14-11-8-5-5-5-6-7-11-16
Peak: April

Somehow, Clean Bandit seems to get gorgeous voices to sing their songs. Zara Larsson sounds particularly melodic on the apt-named Symphony. Sweeping and triumphant, the music matches the swell of her voice. This song marched lock-step three points at a time until it hit a snag at the top five and couldn't progress further. It was a competitive time. But it was also probably the affect of it being my last few weeks of graduate school. Zara Larsson also had one Christmas song that charted in the lower half of the top 20 this year. Clean Bandit? Well, you'll have to stay tuned. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:06 pm

JSparksFan wrote:"Feels" is the only big omission from your missed list.

I'm guessing that the Top 10 will look like:

- Feel It Still (#1)
- Despacito
- Never Give Up
- The Underside of Power
- Love on the Brain
- It Ain't Me
- Bodak Yellow
- Love So Soft
- Havana
- Body Like a Back Road
I am curious to get your reaction when the top ten is revealed :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:14 pm

Tansike wrote:So, i really like all honorable mentions :o Very pleased with ZZ Ward. I really enjoyed her album this year.
"Stay" and "Feels" are both amazing, two of my highlights this year :D

As for the main countdown, i like Sia's one so far :)
Thanks Tansike :)

If there's any song I'd swap out of the top 40, it's probably Awoo. It's a fun song, but I thought I listened to any of the other mentions more. Cannonball came close, but it got pushed out by all the holiday music at year's end.

And who would have thought Katy Perry's biggest success this year would be on a Calvin Harris feature?
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm

#40 Systemagic - Goldfrapp

She's made it to the annual chart and it's great.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Symphony is the best of those.
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:31 pm

couldn't get into the new Goldfrapp album at all

Symphony is nice, Santa's Coming is catchy but trashy
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby luckyONE » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:05 pm

"Symphony" is defnitely a huge highlight in 2017 IMO.
luckyONE
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:16 pm

heppolo wrote:#40 Systemagic - Goldfrapp

She's made it to the annual chart and it's great.
Goldfrapp is incredible. I am glad there is another fan. :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:17 pm

Looks like there are a few fans of Symphony here <3

All right, going to post the next five! Was hoping to get to his yesterday, but had a bunch of end-year stuff going on. In any case, happy new year to allow you :) Ill be stuck in 2017 for another half a day :)
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:23 pm

#35 - Move Your Body (Alan Walker remix) - Sia
18-14-12-9-4-3-2-2-8-12
Peak: March

Sia had the top two songs of 2016, but despite four top ten songs this year, only one appears in the top 30. Handicapping this song's performance was that it was competing with another Sia song at the time, as both songs peaked in the top five together. The Alan Walker remix is really what grabbed my interest - partly because I was in an Alan Walker kick at the time, and partly because the original was a little lackluster.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:30 pm

#34 - No Lie - Sean Paul ft. Dua Lipa
20-16-12-8-6-6-4-3-7-9-13-20
Peak: April

Sean Paul and Dua Lipa also both had competing appearances in songs at the same time this was appearing on the chart. I thoguht this would be a surefire #1 for both of them, but they each ended up seeing their other chart appearance peak higher. Still, this was a solid release by both of them and the first time Sean Paul had appeared in a lead position on the chart in over a decade. Dua Lipa, who was fresh off three #1s in 2016 would go on to have a stellar year in 2017 as well. With Dua Lipa's joyous pitch, Sean Paul's trademark dancehall, and the drum beat, this song got repeated play through the early part of the year.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:37 pm

#33 - Bad Liar - Selena Gomez
18-14-9-7-6-6-5-4-9-10-14
Peak: July

The video for this, with its multipl Selena's playing roles of different ages,, genders, and sexual orientations was wild and trippy (though not as out there as her follow-up, Fetish), and of course, I was here for trippy and weird, so the video alone got Selena a lot of play. The video was brave and daring and I think her song was too, because it definitely didn't fit in with the sound of 2017 radio. This never seemed like it was going to be a huge hit for Selena, with its chatty talk-singing and even vocabulary you don't usually hear in a pop song, but for me, it was pop perfection. I wish it had done better.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:50 pm

#32 - Meteorite - Years & Years
20-18-14-7-5-5-5-6-6-1-1-1-5-4-4-10-14-16
Peak: January

I love how the electro just twinkles and explodes in this song and the lead singer sounds so overcome when he hits that chorus! When this song debuted on my chart, I was still assuming Hillary Clinton would win the US election, and trust me, the fallout from that could be described just like a Meteroite. This was the rare song to persist through the holiday seasonal song ambush, and emerge at #1 to start the year. It has the distinction of being the last #1 under the Obama presidency :cry: It was the third #1 for Years & Years - they had the #1 song of 2015 (King). The song was incredibly successful on the chart and would have ranked at #13 if we could include the weeks from 2016 (the italicized numbers in the chart path). Last year, it just missed out on making the top 40. I hope they release a new album soon!
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby cheapthrills » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:58 pm

#31 - Woman - Kesha ft. The Dap-Kings Horns
20-10-6-6-4-5-4-6--11-12-17-19-20-20

2017 needed a song like this - one of female empowerment - pride in femininity without apologies. "I run this sh*t, baby" Kesha repeats through the song, and does she ever deserve to show it out. Far before sexual harrassment became one of the huge stories of the year, Kesha was fighting her own battle, and what might have seemed simply a cry for attention back then took on new urgency and reality with the many revelations of the #metoo movement. With its horns blaring and Kesha's glorying in moving on, few songs on this list speak to the age we live in as this one.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi cheapthrills :D

cheapthrills wrote:Stay - Zedd ft. Alessia Cara
Snowman - Sia
Feels - Calvin Harris ft. Pharrell, Katy Perry, and Bryson Tiller
I Feel It Coming - The Weeknd ft. Daft Punk
Some great honourable mentions listed, the bolded tracks both topped my chart. Expect to see Feels perform well in my own chart of 2017. ;)

#36 Symphony - Clean Bandit ft. Zara Larsson

One of two songs in 2017 that stayed at #1 for five weeks. When that happens, you know it's a song i truly love. :p Should also perform well in my own year end chart.

#35 - Move Your Body (Alan Walker remix) - Sia

I preferred the original album version but in a way the Alan Walker remix helped to make this song a chart hit, so it had its uses.

#32 - Meteorite - Years & Years

A top 10 hit in my chart in late 2016. I'm hoping to see Years & Years comeback strong in 2018.

#31 - Woman - Kesha ft. The Dap-Kings Horns

A great track from Kesha but i did prefer the other singles more.
JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:12 pm

"Santa's Coming for Us" has negative quantities of festivity. It makes for an awful Christmas song. "Symphony," on the other hand, is a winner on so many fronts.

The Alan Walker mix of "Move Your Body" dilutes the song's magic; I prefer the album version. I never liked "Bad Liar".

"Meteorite" is everything - the best Years & Years song by some margin. "Woman" was good, but, honestly, I wasn't that impressed by any of Kesha's output this year. I was simply grateful that she was back recording music again.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby cheapthrills » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:26 pm

Negative quantities of festivity! Oh dear. Interesting that you both prefer the original Move Your Body. I do think that the label butchered its promo. Coming off the heels of two successful songs, it seems like they had enough interest to push it harder.

So happy to see your love for Meteorite - it sounds like it would have fit right at home on their first album; I'm surprised such a gem was relegated to a soundtrack. It's really too bad it crossed years on my chart because it did really well.

Anyhow, a happy 2018 to you both! I'll post the next five later tonight.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Return to Year End Personal Charts