JakeP Top 100 of 2017

Moderators: JSparksFan, tdc2000, FreakyFlyBry

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:16 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D :P :wink:

2018 has officially began and so its time for me to unveil the JakeP Top 100 of 2017 which will commence later on today. :D 8-)

Top 100 of 2014
Top 100 of 2015
Top 100 of 2016
JakeP
Manager

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:39 am

I expect some familiar names
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:25 am

Bring it on! :) This should be good.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:57 am

Looking forward to this!
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:26 pm

Yay! Looking forward to this :D
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Thanks guys :D <3

I shall be starting this shortly. Haven't got any schedule so i'll post my top 100 whenever i'm online (i.e. i'm back at work tomorrow :cry: )
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:27 pm

100. Rag'n'Bone Man - Skin

What an amazing year its been for Rag'n'Bone Man. After Human became his major breakthrough single in 2016, everything was set up perfectly for the release of his debut album also titled Human. In the UK it seems like album sales are on a constant downward spiral so it was incredibly impressive to discover that Rag'n'Bone Man's debut album successfully managed to sell over one million copies.

Skin peaked at #6 in my chart back in February. This week he's my hit seeker with his latest collaboration with Logic on the track Broken people. Potentially one to watch out for in early 2018. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:39 pm

99. Lauv - I like me better

This one is dedicated to Paulboard. :D

If ever a song had the potential to become a genuinely successful hit, especially in the UK, then I like me better would be that song. I first noticed this song doing well on UK's Spotify chart and was intrigued. Upon giving the song a listen, i thought it sounded so cool and quirky and had hit potential.

Sadly UK radio never latched onto this track so its success was hindered somewhat. However, it was a different story in my chart as Lauv scored his first chart hit when I like me better reached #7 back in September.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:34 pm

98. P!nk - I am here

P!nk gets her first of four appearances in my top 100 of 2017. I've stated in previous years that a high peaking track with a short chart run is just as valid as a lower peaking track with a longer chart run. The two balance each other out quite nicely.

So at #98 it's I am here which got a grand total of one week in my chart but ultimately the track peaked impressively at #4 following the release of parent album Beautiful trauma. Why did this suddenly plummet out of my chart so quickly? Well, a certain gorgeous guy from Ireland released his debut solo album the following week and my attention was firmly focused on listening to his album. :wink:

Still, if P!nk goes on to release I am here as a single in 2018 then there's every chance that this track will go on to enjoy even more success in my chart.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:17 pm

97. LP - Tightrope

LP was such an exceptional discovery in 2016 and Lost on you was my #1 single of the year. Coming into 2017 i was anticipating new music from LP out of sheer intrigue more than anything else. I didn't have to wait long and in February LP released the music video for new single Tightrope. Whilst this track went on to reach #6, it was overshadowed by another track from LP that had only recently hit the #1 spot in my chart. More on that particular track later... :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:30 pm

96. London Grammar - Big picture

I'm pretty sure i've mentioned in previous years just how much i adore London Grammar, especially vocalist Hannah Reid who has such a beautifully distinctive vocal style.

In fact it was exactly a year ago today when London Grammar released their first new material since 2014. I was well and truly over the moon to hear those hauntingly gorgeous vocals again. Big picture was the second single released back in February successfully making it into my top 5. Here, the single marks the first of three appearances for London Grammar in my top 100 of 2017.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:07 pm

95. Kelly Clarkson - Move you

Back in September, Kelly Clarkson was on the verge of releasing her eighth studio album Meaning of life. Preceding its release, Kelly released two new singles from the album; Love so soft and Move you. Whilst the former had a big glossy music video to help promote the song as the lead single, my attention was drawn more towards the latter song. Move you didn't come with a massive fanfare, indeed the song itself is so much more subtle and ultimately makes this track so much more special to me.

Move you is such a sublime gospel flavoured ballad with Kelly showcasing her gorgeous vocals. Kelly's ability to use light and shade in her vocals elevates this song to new heights. When Kelly sings "like a solemn hallelujah, like a choir shouts amen" i find myself getting completely drawn into the music.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Paul introduced me to "I Like Me Better". When I saw the title, I thought it'd be an ode to selfishness, so imagine my surprise when it's an endearing love song. :lol: It's a good track.

The lyric you highlighted is my favourite part of "Move You" as well. "Love So Soft" won out in the end, but I initially preferred the simple soul styling of "Move You".
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby LittleArsonist » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:13 pm

so far so good! looking forward to reading more :D
LittleArsonist
Personal Assistant

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:16 pm

JSparksFan wrote:Paul introduced me to "I Like Me Better". When I saw the title, I thought it'd be an ode to selfishness, so imagine my surprise when it's an endearing love song. :lol: It's a good track.

The lyric you highlighted is my favourite part of "Move You" as well. "Love So Soft" won out in the end, but I initially preferred the simple soul styling of "Move You".
LOL i'm pretty sure i thought the same thing when i stumbled across this song. How else would someone interpret the lyrics "i like me better"? :lol: I agree it's a great track. It was more of a slow burner that gradually climbed up my chart over a number of weeks before hitting its peak.

Oh totally, i have such a soft spot for gospel choirs. I like the energy they bring to their performances, and i'm usually left feeling uplifting or feeling like crying my eyes out depending on the song. :lol: Love so soft was unlucky in that it was set to sneak into my top 20 but iirc it co-incided with the Friday when Niall Horan released Too much to ask, so naturally i got a little bit excited. Niall got most of my attention that particular evening alone to debut at #2 on the Saturday, leaving poor Kelly to technically enter at #21. :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:19 pm

LittleArsonist wrote:so far so good! looking forward to reading more :D
Thanks LittleArsonist :D

I love going back and listening to these songs again. I do feel a sense of justification, a sort of "i'm so happy this performed well in my chart". <3
JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:38 pm

94. Kesha - Learn to let go

Dropping her trademark $, 2017 saw the return of Kesha who finally got the opportunity to release new music following a very public and truly diabolical experience.

Rainbow is clearly one incredibly personal album, a very open and honest and somewhat forgiving album too. It gives the listener a very clear insight into exactly how Kesha was feeling and thinking during the songwriting process for this album.

Learn to let go is the first of three appearances for Kesha. As for this song, its such a joyful song and i love how the music video focuses on Kesha's own childhood. The playful nature of Kesha here is so typical of the Ke$ha we all remember when TiK ToK transformed her into a global breakthrough artist. Learn to let go peaked at #6 back in August following the release of the music video on YouTube.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 pm

93. Coldplay & Big Sean - Miracles (someone special)

As most of you will already know, i love Coldplay and so i was very much excited about checking out the new tracks on their Kaleidoscope ep. Instead of releasing the whole ep at once, Coldplay decided to opt for a more staggered strategy, releasing individual tracks in successive weeks.

When i first read that Coldplay were collaborating with Big Sean, i really wasn't sure what to expect. I will admit, my initial thought wasn't one of excitement. :oops: Then a certain track from Calvin Harris got released and slowly my opinions started to change. When Miracles (someone special) was finally released, i gave it a much more open minded listen and i loved the song much more than i'd anticipated initially. Big Sean did incredibly well as he ended up at #4 with this track, but also #1 with Feels. We'll hear more about that track a fair bit further up this countdown. :wink:

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 pm

92. Niall Horan - Mirrors

That gorgeous guy from Ireland i mentioned yesterday. Yes, here he is. <3

Niall Horan has emerged as the best of all the solo One Direction guys with an impressive hit rate in my chart. When Flicker was released in October, i bought the album and spent the vast majority of that first week listening to Niall's new material. He didn't disappoint either as overall i thought it was a solid effort with many great tracks and some potential hit singles.

Mirrors reached #6 off the back of the album release and is the first of five entries for Niall Horan in my 2017 countdown.

JakeP
Manager

Postby JakeP » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:29 pm

91. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the feeling

In 2015 Carly Rae Jepsen made a triumphant return to the world of pop with the release of Emotion. Then in 2016 she released a sequel in the form of Emotion: side b. Quite surprisingly all the while there was another song that was twice rejected, not deemed suitable for either of those albums.

Step forward Cut to the feeling, an unabashed and unashamedly pure pop nugget - the type of pop music i crave for. :lol: The track finally saw the light of day when it was released as a single back in June making it all the way to #4 in my chart.

JakeP
Manager

Postby king_oxymoron » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:39 pm

I charted Cut To The Feeling similarly. Glad you see such promise in Niall, though I would need to revisit that track. I love She's on the Move (I think?) best from memory..
king_oxymoron
Lickin' On Both Sides

Postby SummerPeur » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Oh so here for this as well!

99. Lauv - I like me better - Fantastic song!

Learn to let go is the first of three appearances for Kesha.
If Praying is anywhere in or near the Top50, we're gonna need to have a chat sis :lol:

91. Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut to the feeling

I've said on another countdown that Carly hasn't done a mis-step with her music at all. She somehow managed to create just pure POP gems.
SummerPeur wrote:Time stops for the Kween everytime WBT is performed.
Goldmoney wrote:So does her microphone
SummerPeur
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:58 pm

"Mirrors" is just okay for me, but "Cut to the Feeling" is a great pop bop. Carly Rae has been on a winning streak since her return to the scene in 2015.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Fan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 am

I was about to say 'I only know Human', but then I actually listened to Skin and I do know that one as well! Just wasn't aware it was by him. Great song though, he has such a strong voice.

I Am Here is a great one as well, one of the best on her new record.

Learn To Let Go is lovely, I was so excited for Kesha's comeback this year and I think she delivered.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby thankfulforkelly » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:48 pm

Move You is really good! One of my favourites from Meaning of Life.
Learn To Let Go is nice, although not one of my faves from Rainbow. It sounds very Avril-esque imo
Miracles is really nice, actually! It grew on me a lot. Never bothered to check out the full Kaleidoscope EP though :oops:
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Return to Year End Personal Charts