Four young men die in New Year London stabbings

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Wayne » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:03 pm

Four young men die in New Year London stabbings

Four young men were killed in stabbing incidents in London amid New Year celebrations, the Met Police has said.

Three were stabbed on New Year's Eve and a fourth in the early hours of New Year's Day in unrelated incidents.

Another young man stabbed on New Year's Day is in a critical condition in hospital.

Five men have been arrested over the death of an 18-year-old in Larmans Road, Enfield. No other arrests have been made.

'Tragic consequences'

In the other attacks, a 20-year-old man was fatally stabbed in Memorial Avenue, West Ham, and a 17-year-old boy was killed in Norwood Road, Tulse Hill, on New Year's Eve.

Early on New Year's Day, a 20-year-old man was fatally wounded in Bartholomew Court, Old Street. A second man in his 20s suffered critical stab injuries in the same incident.

The fatalities in the final hours of 2017 took the number of people stabbed to death in the capital last year to 80, the Met said.

Commander Neil Jerome said: "I am grateful to Londoners and visitors to the capital who co-operated with police to enable the vast majority of people to enjoy New Year's Eve.

"However, there were small groups who chose to engage in disorder and violence, and whose actions have had utterly tragic consequences.

"It is heartbreaking that, at a time when so many of us are contemplating what lies ahead in 2018, four families are dealing with the grief of losing a loved one to senseless violence and the callous use of knives as lethal weapons."

The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: "My thoughts today are with the families of four young men who have tragically been killed in four unrelated stabbings in our city last night.

"We will work tirelessly in 2018 and beyond to stamp out this scourge. I want to be absolutely clear - if you use a knife the full force of the law will be brought down on you.

"You will be caught and prosecuted."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42534127
They aren't linked necessarily (other than by location, possibly) which makes this 4 separate instances of knife crime, 4 separate young men, all dead as the rest of the country was seeing the New Year in. There's a 5th victim on life support.

Knife crime is a huge problem in London with (on average) 1 person's life taken by a knife related crime every 4 days last year.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Spartan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:12 pm

It’s hard with this sort of stuff to not let it discourage you from going out in London. A large part of it depends what areas of London you go to and the company you keep. I’ve just come back from London, but I was mainly in Soho so this stuff is less frequent.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:43 pm

I celebrated New Year in London this year too, I was right by Tower Bridge for midnight and it was a really good atmosphere but there were some gangs walking by and being a bit lairy which you get in most cities but for some reason when it's London it always feels a bit edgier.
Thriller

Postby Spartan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:22 pm

Thriller wrote:I celebrated New Year in London this year too, I was right by Tower Bridge for midnight and it was a really good atmosphere but there were some gangs walking by and being a bit lairy which you get in most cities but for some reason when it's London it always feels a bit edgier.
You were out in London and didn’t see me? :roll:

Yeah some areas of London you wouldn’t wanna be walking on your own. When I was travelling around the former Yugoslavian states last year, I felt safer in all of those cities than I would do in some areas of London.
Spartan
Legend

Postby Serby » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:41 am

Spartan wrote:
Thriller wrote:I celebrated New Year in London this year too, I was right by Tower Bridge for midnight and it was a really good atmosphere but there were some gangs walking by and being a bit lairy which you get in most cities but for some reason when it's London it always feels a bit edgier.

Yeah some areas of London you wouldn’t wanna be walking on your own. When I was travelling around the former Yugoslavian states last year, I felt safer in all of those cities than I would do in some areas of London.
What, you were in Serbia etc?

We dont have the same problems and not on the same level as wedt does.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Spartan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Serby wrote:
Spartan wrote:

What, you were in Serbia etc?

We dont have the same problems and not on the same level as wedt does.
We did a little road trip around Serbia, Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Spartan
Legend

Return to World News & Politics