Disney Admits To Darkening White Actors' Skin For 'Aladdin

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 pm

The latest news surrounding Disney’s upcoming live-action “Aladdin” movie is anything but magical.

The mass media company admitted to BBC Newsbeat that extras working on the movie’s set in Longcross, England, were darkened with makeup so they could “blend” into the scenes for the movie.

Extra Kaushal Odedra, who said he witnessed the practice himself and spoke to a number of outlets on the subject, told The Times that Disney’s actions speak volumes.

“Disney [is] sending out a message that your skin colour, your identity, your life experiences amount to nothing that can’t be powdered on and washed off,” he said.

Odedra noted that he saw around 20 “very fair-skinned” actors waiting in line to have their skin tanned, including a white actor he had recognized who was tanned to play a palace guard.

“I can understand it if it comes to stunt people and animal handling but I think they did have a choice,” Odedra told Newsbeat.

People across social media criticized Disney for the move, with some, including actor Kal Penn, labeling the company’s actions as “brownface.”

Disney released a statement defending itself by saying the practice was done in a handful of instances.”

“Great care was taken to put together one of the largest, most diverse casts ever seen on screen,” a Disney spokesman told Newsbeat. “Diversity of our cast and background performers was a requirement and only in a handful of instances when it was a matter of specialty skills, safety and control (special effects rigs, stunt performers and handling of animals) were crew made up to blend in.”

Disney is no stranger to controversy surrounding the live-action “Aladdin.” Last year, the company claimed to have trouble finding actors to fill the roles of Aladdin and Jasmine. The studio reportedly saw more than 2,000 actors in London, Abu Dhabi, India and Egypt but couldn’t easily find young actors with backgrounds in singing.

While Egyptian-born actor Mena Massoud and British-Indian actress Naomi Scott ultimately landed the roles of Aladdin and Jasmine, Disney once again found itself under fire for introducing an original character into the story played by Prince Anders, a white actor.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/disney-admits-darkening-white-actors-192725585.html
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Pitiful.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:20 pm

Since it's Walt Disney, I am surprised that their Aladdin isn't a tall blonde Icelandic male with a big beard.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:24 pm

This is disgusting.
bluecherry
Manager

Postby biscuits » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:25 pm

Yeah so stupid. No words
TheRealest wrote:Chy tf plz biscuits girl
biscuits
The Diva

Postby GetBack » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:03 pm

I don't see anything wrong with that. If we live in an age where there are no "gender" stereotypes in casting and when men can even portray women and vice versa, and there's even some silly thing such as having no gender at all, a little tanning of fair-skinned actors become something offensive because they didn't opt for casting actual dark Arabic bit roles!? It's not Disney's job to go to Arabic countries and employ them. :roll: :roll:
GetBack
Legend

Postby Fan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm

GetBack wrote:I don't see anything wrong with that. If we live in an age where there are no "gender" stereotypes in casting and when men can even portray women and vice versa, and there's even some silly thing such as having no gender at all, a little tanning of fair-skinned actors become something offensive because they didn't opt for casting actual dark Arabic bit roles!? It's not Disney's job to go to Arabic countries and employ them. :roll: :roll:
There are some many offensive things said in this post that I don't even know where to start..

Disney was just wrong on their part, simply as that, and I don't understand how such a big company thinks it can get away with this in 2017/2018.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:09 pm

@GetBack Disney should be casting actors of Arabic descent rather than giving yet more work to white people and painting them brown. They could easily find suitable actors in England.

Your whole argument doesn’t stack. Gender stereotypes don’t relate to Disney being racist af.
Last edited by urbanmusik on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby biscuits » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:09 pm

GetBack wrote:I don't see anything wrong with that. If we live in an age where there are no "gender" stereotypes in casting and when men can even portray women and vice versa, and there's even some silly thing such as having no gender at all, a little tanning of fair-skinned actors become something offensive because they didn't opt for casting actual dark Arabic bit roles!? It's not Disney's job to go to Arabic countries and employ them. :roll: :roll:
There are thousands of Arabic or “dark skinned” people already living in the US. Would have been easier to hire them instead of applying make up to white peoples
biscuits
The Diva

Postby abi » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:10 pm

GetBack wrote:It's not Disney's job to go to Arabic countries and employ them. :roll: :roll:
Of course it's their job. I mean, it's Disney we're talking about. THE DISNEY, not some random school plays.

The story itself is based in the Middle-Eastern region. Like imagine if you want to shoot a Korean traditional drama yet they're too lazy to hire Korean actors so they would just put some makeup into white people in order to make them look "Korean", like... it's just not right.
abi
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Wow... :roll:
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Postby KEY9481 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:52 pm

You are really...ok let me hush.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby Debs_Wild » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:58 pm

+ 1000
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby Hugo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:03 pm

Beyoncé brought the talent she needed all the way from Mozambique to the US to help her with Run The World's choreography.

Disney has enough money (lol euphemism) to do the same for this film.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby TIfan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:12 pm

Hugo wrote:Beyoncé brought the talent she needed all the way from Mozambique to the US to help her with Run The World's choreography.

Disney has enough money (lol euphemism) to do the same for this film.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Couldn't let a new discussion start without mentioning her huh? :lol: :lol: :lol:
TIfan
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:36 pm

Beyoncé can teach us all sorts of things and that's why we love her.

Hopefully people at Disney learn something from her after their collaboration.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Permaban for you.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:41 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:
Permaban for you.
Absolutely not
biscuits
The Diva

Postby KokoCollino » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:51 pm

A reversed Beyoncé skin tea
Looks like I found my way home
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby urbanmusik » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:55 pm

KokoCollino wrote:A reversed Beyoncé skin tea
Beyoncé is still black as ever but keep on pushing your racist narrative.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Jesper » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:13 pm

biscuits wrote:
There are thousands of Arabic or “dark skinned” people already living in the US. Would have been easier to hire them instead of applying make up to white peoples
Exactly and the worst part is that this is about 'extra's' so you don't even have to really 'act' to fulfil that part, so they could have just hired some random people who fit the description of what they are looking for, without the need to darkening any skin.
Jesper
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Keep her name out of your keyboard.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby Debs_Wild » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Going by this (flawed) logic, you must cast a gay actor to play a gay character. :roll:
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby biscuits » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:35 pm

The only thing these extras need to do is look Arabic and as though they live in Agrabah, so why not give Arabs the chance?

It’s totally different from playing a ghey character. Although yeah, sometimes it is nice when a ghey actor plays a ghey character.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby stevyy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:40 pm

oops. :lol:
stevyy
Legend

Return to Celebrity Gossip