Big Brother 2018

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby Thriller » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:27 pm

It’ll be an interesting series this year, as it appears to be the make or break series for Channel 5 and their decision whether to continue to commission the civilian version or not.

It may start as late as August to avoid clashes with Love Island, which I think would be sensible as it would stand absolutely no chance.

There’s talk they want to take a leaf from the celebrity series earlier this year and bring back the social experiment aspect, ditch manipulative tasks and try to let storylines develop organically by casting more “normal” housemates as opposed to wannabes.
Thriller

Postby menime123 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:13 pm

Channel 5 have tendered for new commissions in case it is cancelled, as that’s a lot of TV to fill otherwise (2 hours a day). The late start was confirmed earlier in the year, as you had to be 18 by July I think (meaning 17 year olds could apply).

I do think C5 will re-commission it, but there’s a few ways to cut the budget down easily enough - I’d get rid of BOTS for a start. Interestingly I think Love Island being called out for its lack of diversity this year gives BB a chance to embrace that.

The celebrity one earlier this year was very refreshing and the obvious troublemaker was removed at the start. The problem is whether they can find civilians that have enough life experience to have meaningful conversations and interactions without it descending into chaos.

I think a strength of the celebrity one was its wide age gap too - the show needs to become ‘the anti Love Island’ in a way and really focus on personal relationships (like the celebrity one had a few grandmother/granddaughter and mother/daughter relationships).

Either way, this could be the final civilian series and I’d hate it to be killed off in favour of intermittent celebrity editions, or be turned into an annual monthly civilian version etc.

The one thing I think they should do this year is finally scrap the ban on nomination discussions - if they want a show with drama, plotting and organic arguments, that’s the way to go.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:22 pm

menime123 wrote:Channel 5 have tendered for new commissions in case it is cancelled, as that’s a lot of TV to fill otherwise (2 hours a day). The late start was confirmed earlier in the year, as you had to be 18 by July I think (meaning 17 year olds could apply).

I do think C5 will re-commission it, but there’s a few ways to cut the budget down easily enough - I’d get rid of BOTS for a start. Interestingly I think Love Island being called out for its lack of diversity this year gives BB a chance to embrace that.

The celebrity one earlier this year was very refreshing and the obvious troublemaker was removed at the start. The problem is whether they can find civilians that have enough life experience to have meaningful conversations and interactions without it descending into chaos.

I think a strength of the celebrity one was its wide age gap too - the show needs to become ‘the anti Love Island’ in a way and really focus on personal relationships (like the celebrity one had a few grandmother/granddaughter and mother/daughter relationships).

Either way, this could be the final civilian series and I’d hate it to be killed off in favour of intermittent celebrity editions, or be turned into an annual monthly civilian version etc.

The one thing I think they should do this year is finally scrap the ban on nomination discussions - if they want a show with drama, plotting and organic arguments, that’s the way to go.
I pretty much agree with everything you just said
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:19 pm

I do think part of BB's unravelling has been their focus on casting younger and younger people - it had a very broad audience back in the earlier series' and I remember it being a bit of a deal when they cast Stuart in series 5 as he was 20, the youngest ever contestant at that time. The earlier series stayed true to that "social experiment" tag because the age range was fairly split. I'd definitely like them to go back to that to try and reflect every demographic within the house.
Thriller

Postby Spartan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:26 pm

But then you don’t want it to be a tick box exercise with demographics. They need to find the balance of having variety with personality.
Spartan
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:31 pm

Spartan wrote:But then you don’t want it to be a tick box exercise with demographics. They need to find the balance of having variety with personality.
Agreed but I’d argue most demographics have someone suited. Applicant dependant of course. In fairness I don’t envy the casting team because the pressure is really on this year to deliver... and knowing how well people will interact over 8 weeks is pot luck. The celebrities at least knew what they were getting into, what the purpose of the series was and what was expected of them.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:41 am

The concept is just too outdated now. They could throw all the season 5 housemates back in and it would still flop.

Nobody with any dignity or integrity will even apply so they have no choice but to put wannabes in.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Thriller » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:50 pm

Civilian series starts on Friday, we were given a preview of the housemates during last night's CBB final.
Thriller

Postby BehindBreakaway » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Looking forward to the launch. They seem to be hyping this up to being back like the old days with it being a social experiment so I'm hopefully it will be a good series
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby menime123 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Looking forward to this - I just hope it’s not the last one. If C5 don’t want it though, who would?
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:33 pm

Axed by C5.
menime123
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:20 pm

Expected. I don't see it as a bad thing or a good thing really - I will miss the TV gold moments it provides and the discussions it invokes but I understand it needs a rest and the format is no longer as relevant as it was.

That said, another channel may snap it up and it'll be back next year :lol:
Thriller

Postby menime123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:29 pm

C5 should have held onto it for 1 more year and done a 20th series, but we could get that else where I suppose. It still gets around 1M viewers a day which would suit another free view channel very nicely. I just don’t know if another station would risk the financial uncertainty of moving the show from one side to another, and whether the current production costs would work for them.

I’d quite like ITV2 to take it as a winter alternative to Love Island, but I suspect the days of ITV wanting it are long gone. But it could fit their reality branding quite nicely... but then it might become a show I don’t want to watch.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to tonight’s opening - I love the first episode of a new series! I was a stand in once during camera rehearsals - It’s very odd, getting out the car and walking into the house (although they don’t do the car anymore, do they...)
menime123
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:32 pm

Ooh lucky you, sounds fun; they did the car again for CBB!
Thriller

Postby BehindBreakaway » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:10 pm

I am actually gutted. I look forward to each series and have watched since the first. I think there's a possibility it could move to E4. I think that's the most obvious choice but I don't know whether channel 4 would risk it. I really do hope it gets picked up. I agree they should have kept it one more year and had a 20th special.
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby Damiennatas1 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:33 pm

I’ve watched it on and off the past few years, used to watch it religiously but still sad to see it go. I had hoped the could make it to the 20 year mark as that would have been quite the milestone.

Hopefully they bring back some legends for this season.
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Thriller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:29 pm

Kenaley’s VT was like something out of 2007 :lol:

OMG Tomasz, what a card.
Thriller

Postby menime123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:58 pm

I’m liking them. Still waiting for the eye candy. My gay farmer was nothing like that though :lol:
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Get Sian out. Her stepdad saying “She’s very popular in Barnsley!” :lol:
menime123
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Very ready to hate Lewis.
Thriller

Postby menime123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Love Zoe. Based on VTs she’s my winner.
menime123
Legend

Postby menime123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Thriller wrote:Very ready to hate Lewis.
He won’t last.
menime123
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:14 pm

Zoe was also my favourite on the initial VT's, she just seemed really down to earth and a peoples person.

Ellis seemed fun, Tomasz was interesting, also interested by lesbian Brooke and what she's got to offer. Cameron really seemed out of his depth.

Akeem, Anamelia, Kian, Kay and Sian didn't really leave much of an impression on me.

Didn't like Lewis F or Isaac, terribly vain, but not as awful as Lewis G who seems like a complete tool (and his dad chewing away like a cow too). Kenaley seemed keener to get on with people than her VT made it seem.

I do think this is closer to the kind of lineup we've been hoping for for years.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby menime123 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Here we go :lol:

Spoiler:

It doesn’t make it right, but they're discussing Tweets made when she was 15 apparently. Why anyone entering into a TV show doesn’t do a social media cleanse first is beyond me.
menime123
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:28 pm

I agree. If you know where where a d**k in the past, you'd just delete everything. Why risk it.

I like the lineup. I really hope this does go back to basics and reignites some interest in the series. I'm sad it's not on tonight. Is it not going to air on Saturdays anymore?
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Return to TV