A Star Is Born

Moderators: Spartan, menime123

Postby thebigham » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:02 pm

http://www.awardscircuit.com/2018/09/10 ... lady-gaga/

TIFF Film Review: ‘A Star is Born’ Is a Remarkable Achievement with Oscar-Worthy Turns from Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga
By Clayton Davis - Sep 10, 2018

Bradley Cooper, Stefani Germanotta | A Star is Born | Warner Bros

TORONTO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 2018:

Take a time machine back to 2009 when you first saw “The Hangover” or 2005 when you were watching Rachel McAdams’ sleazy boyfriend “dry hump” Vince Vaughn up and down the field. Did you ever think you were watching one of the future’s most exciting and enthralling directors? That’s what we have here. Bradley Cooper, four-time Academy Award nominee (3 for acting, 1 for producing), has crafted, co-wrote, and stars, in a nearly perfect remake of one of cinema’s most beloved stories. “A Star is Born” is a remarkable and stunning achievement pairing together two of the year’s most breathtaking performances in Cooper and Grammy Award winner Lady Gaga. Its highs are SO high that it has undoubtedly made its mark on the film year, declaring itself one of the frontrunners to win the coveted Best Picture prize at the Academy Awards.

“A Star is Born,” tells the story of Jackson Maine (Cooper), a musician who helps a young singer Ally (Gaga) find fame, even as age and alcoholism send his own career into a downward spiral.

Bradley Cooper‘s work behind the camera is equally matched if not magnified but his work in front. In a profession that has shown us “Silver Linings Playbook” and “American Sniper,” Cooper has scored his finest acting performance of his career. A turn that has a semblance of Nicolas Cage in “Leaving Las Vegas” and Joaquin Phoenix in “Walk the Line,” Cooper constructs his own creation, echoing and respecting the role that has been crafted by Frederic March, James Mason, and Kris Kristofferson.

Lady Gaga, an artist who has made her mark in the music industry, blazes through the screen with savagery and poise. As Ally, she finds her insecurities, explores how they would affect her and those around her, and becoming a bonafide gifted actress, right before our eyes. It’s apparent that her high marks come in any number in which she sings, particularly “The Shallow” and “I’ll Never Love Again,” two numbers that Gaga co-wrote herself. In the case of the former, a tune in which she shares with co-star Cooper, its result is one of the single best musical moments caught on film this decade, perhaps this millennium. Undoubtedly to become the “City of Stars” of the year, encapsulating everything we love in the marriage of music and the movies.

Sam Elliott, a veteran actor who has been long ignored by the Academy despite colossal works in films like “Grandma” and “The Hero,” is now a prime candidate for his first Oscar nomination in Supporting Actor. As Bobby, Jack’s much older brother, we see the regret of a career that was never had, and the paternal instinct to care for his reckless younger brother. Elliott is one part of a great ensemble that includes strong works from Andrew Dice Clay, Anthony Ramos, and Dave Chappelle.

The film is a magnificent force, especially in its first hour, lavishing the world of cinema with beautiful, tender moments. Though impeccable, the film does feel a tad too long and probably could have benefited from a 15-minute shave here and there. That doesn’t take away from Jay Cassidy‘s stellar editing which is still very robust. Matthew Libatique, the great cinematographer that has only muster one nomination in his career (“Black Swan” in 2010) despite a half-dozen worthy works, looks to score his second as he gets in as close as he can to both of the central figures, and just when you think he can’t get any closer, he does, capturing truth and intensity.

“A Star is Born” is undeniably exceptional, one of the year’s best films and something we should hope to see more of in the future, especially as Hollywood continues its obsession with remakes. Cooper seems to use the foundation of the previous three films and develops a new, fresh take on a frankly, overplayed story arc that we too much today. We welcome Bradley Cooper to the directing world and will look forward to his next venture.

“A Star is Born” is distributed by Warner Bros. and opens in theaters on Oct. 5.

GRADE: (★★★½)
thebigham
Legend

Postby LittleLinda » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm surprised at the stellar reviews, considering that critics and audiences alike can be quite harsh on
- remakes (especially if it's not the first one)
- singers turned actors and
- actors turned directors.

Happy for Bradley and Gaga! Haven't seen the movie yet and I'm not incredibly eager to see it because of the overdone storyline, but I will definitely check it out.
LittleLinda
Manager

Postby JimJim » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 am

The hype train for this is real!
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Erotica » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:11 pm

I am surprised that it gets so much hype and love. When the project was announced I thought this will be totally destroyed

But I am not interested in the movie.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby LongingHeart » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Lady Gaga. What a damn superstar!
I'm so excited for this and even more excited for the Soundtrack
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby Debs_Wild » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby TIfan » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:28 pm

Get that Oscar nod Gaga. She could definitely get two with Actress and Original song...
TIfan
Legend

Postby Thriller » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Looking forward to this!
Thriller

Postby johnny_d » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:21 am

I’m so feckin excited for this film and soundtrack. Will be absolutely amazing to have a whole albums worth of gaga material.

The trailers look amazing. The songs are sung with such passion. Can’t wait to hear the full tracks.
Remember us in AmenJena...

...If we could just go back to the start
johnny_d
Manager

Postby thebigham » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:42 pm

What would be a great start?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4442&p=.htm

Next weekend could be a big one with the release of Venom in over 4,000 locations as it looks to kick off October with what could be a record breaking opening for the month. Additionally, Warner Bros. will be looking for a great start for A Star is Born, which has already energized the festival circuit and will debut in over 3,500 theaters as it kicks off what it hopes will be a long awards season run. Also, in limited release, Fox will debut The Hate U Give in 34 locations and Universal will be releasing Loving Pablo into 10 theaters.
thebigham
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 am

They are expecting this to open between $20-$25m which would be fantastic if true.
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Grybop » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:36 am

2 friends caught the premiere here last night and gave it raving reviews. A third one said it wasn't bad.
They need rappers like me
So they can get on their ****' keyboards and make me the bad guy, Chun-Li
Grybop
Anti-PR Executive

Postby BehindBreakaway » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:43 pm

I'm really looking forward to this. Looks very promising
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Manager

Postby thebigham » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:27 am

USA forecast:

https://deadline.com/2018/10/venom-to-c ... 202474768/

...which puts its domestic opening at $30M+ at 3,500 locations.
thebigham
Legend

Postby Biebz » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Just got back from seeing it! Loved it :D

Why did no one tell me Halsey is it in!? I screamed :lol: :lol:
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby cheapthrills » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:23 pm

I just bought tickets to see this tomorrow night. So excited :D
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Washingtonian25 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:16 pm

It's bad. Simply bad.
Washingtonian25
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:45 am

Aw, I Disagree. I thought it was quite well done :)

The first half is definitely more electric though.
cheapthrills
Superstar

Postby Damiennatas1 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:54 am

It was good. A little too long and a bit boring but it was good all the same!

And if there’s one thing I learned from watching it; Lady Gaga is an actor! She done a really good job!
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby Debs_Wild » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:22 am

Damiennatas1 wrote:And if there’s one thing I learned from watching it; Lady Gaga is an actor!
I thought she was an actress...?
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby nympho » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:20 am

Debs_Wild wrote:
Damiennatas1 wrote:And if there’s one thing I learned from watching it; Lady Gaga is an actor!
I thought she was an actress...?
USAGE
Use of the word actress to refer to a female who acts is old-fashioned. The modern gender-neutral form is actor.

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/actress
nympho
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:22 am

Probably going to watch it tomorrow night.

Is it better than "Burlesque" and/or "Crossroads: Not A Girl"?
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Ewokguy15 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:24 am

Don't be that person, She's an actress, Men and Woman can still be separated by different terms.
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby nympho » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:28 am

Mainshow wrote:Probably going to watch it tomorrow night.

Metacritic:
Crossroads: 27
Burlesque: 47
A Star Is Born: 88
nympho
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:33 am

nympho wrote:
Mainshow wrote:Probably going to watch it tomorrow night.

Metacritic:
Crossroads: 27
Burlesque: 47
A Star Is Born: 88
So it's doing marginally better then.
Wayne
Administrator

Return to Movies