best charting alternative albums of 90's

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby tyson » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:30 am

90's had some great alternative rock albums out and i have a list that has been compiled according to U.S, U.K, AUS,MOST EUROPEAN COUNTRIES albums sales. But do correct me if i'm wrong as these numbers are summations according to album chart positions, chart longevity to 2001.( don't think SoundScan keep records of albums sales outside U.S, UK...)
1.TOOL- Aenima 4.5m
2.PEARL JAM- Yield 3m
3.ALICE IN CHAINS- Alice in chains 3.5m
4.SMASHING PUMPKINS- Adore 2.5m
5.FAITH NO MORE- Angel Dust 2m
6.RATM- Evil empire 4m
7.SOUNDGARDEN- Down on the upside 4m
8.SMASHING PUMPKINS- Siamese dream 5.5m
9.MASSIVE ATTACK- Mezzanine 3.5m
10.FOO FIGHTERS- Color & the shape 3m
11.BUSH- Razorblade suitcase 6m
12.KORN- Issues 4.5m
13.PEARL JAM- Vitalogy 7m
14.FAITH NO MORE- Album of the year 1.2m
15.RADIOHEAD- OK computer 6m

So as i said if anyone has any disagreements or corrections do let me know!!!!!
it 's always funny until someone gets hurt...
tyson
Roadie

Postby NothingFails » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:47 am

Pearl Jam's Ten did over 9 million in the US alone, and Nirvana's Nevermind and Green Day's Dookie did 7.

The biggest alternative era album was originally marketed as alternative, but as the pop mainstream got larger and larger for it, she got less and less airplay on alt-rock stations, Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill. So the fact that as the album got bigger, the less "credibility" she had in the alt-world makes it a fringe-effort, one that could either be considered it or not.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby tyson » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:08 am

i agree with that summation nothingfails completely!!! but as u can see most of the albums i've compiled (and there is more to come) are ones that are not so easy to compile figures of.. I agree that Alanis music really isn't or wasn't supposed to be concieved as mainstream and is more alternative rock than commercial(perhaps).. But sales of pj's TEN and nirvana s Nevermind are quite easy to track down as these albums sold so many in u.s billboards.. But also remember that so many albums go unnoticed (like FNM, AIC and RATM) because they don't sell truck loads in U.S ..For instance Faith no mores Angel Dust sold just over 600.000 in u.s. but over 1.5m internationally and was considered a flop!! in the U.S. cuz the album before it 'The Real Thing' had gone double platinum there.....
it 's always funny until someone gets hurt...
tyson
Roadie

Return to Chart Analysis