Total CD Sales Yearly 1991-2005 in U.S.?

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

 

Postby Ndot2006 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:15 pm

Hey, I'm new to the board, and I'm doing a project for a math class on CD sales in the U.S. My project is going to focus on the yearly sales, and how they have been on a decline (relatively..it's going to be based on illegal downloading). Could anyone provide me with the top 10 CD sales (top 10 of each year) from 1991-2005? If they are available, and also does anyone have the total number of CD's sold for each year as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
User avatar
Ndot2006
Groupie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006
Location: Canada

Postby M2M » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:18 pm

The current edition of billboard magazine graphs yearly sales from 1994-2005 & total # of million sellers in each year. It does not list detailed numbers or album sales but, should go along the lines of what you are looking for.
M2M
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006

Postby nelson » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:24 pm

M2M wrote:The current edition of billboard magazine graphs yearly sales from 1994-2005 & total # of million sellers in each year. It does not list detailed numbers or album sales but, should go along the lines of what you are looking for.
Which issue?
Thanks.
nelson
Legend
 
Posts: 18580
Joined: Thu May 06, 2004

Postby M2M » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:27 pm

nelson wrote:
M2M wrote:The current edition of billboard magazine graphs yearly sales from 1994-2005 & total # of million sellers in each year. It does not list detailed numbers or album sales but, should go along the lines of what you are looking for.
Which issue?
Thanks.
That would be the current edition of billboard magazine. January 21st.
M2M
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006

Postby exhale » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:25 am

Napster & labels killed the market of cd singles and cd regular since 1998-1999!!!!

The rest is history!!!
True love is hard to find!!
User avatar
exhale
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2004
Location: tuscany,italy

Postby M2M » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:47 am

If anything, napster revived interest in singles.

What killed the singles market was labels fear that the release of a single would cannibalize album sales. When in fact the opposite is actually true. Most of the biggest selling albums ever have several hit singles.
M2M
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2006

Postby Ndot2006 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:16 pm

M2M wrote:If anything, napster revived interest in singles.

What killed the singles market was labels fear that the release of a single would cannibalize album sales. When in fact the opposite is actually true. Most of the biggest selling albums ever have several hit singles.
True, but for my project I really need the info or else I can't analyze this. Can anyone help me out? I have no access to the Billboard Magazine.
User avatar
Ndot2006
Groupie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006
Location: Canada

Postby Hanboo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:58 pm

Ndot2006 wrote:
M2M wrote:If anything, napster revived interest in singles.

What killed the singles market was labels fear that the release of a single would cannibalize album sales. When in fact the opposite is actually true. Most of the biggest selling albums ever have several hit singles.
True, but for my project I really need the info or else I can't analyze this. Can anyone help me out? I have no access to the Billboard Magazine.
If you search here and google further on the web, you can find all the info you want.

Most yearend charts can be found in these 2 threads:

US Best-Selling Records-Singles
US Best-Selling Records-Albums

Check the index file on the top of the forum for the 2004 and 2005 yearend lists.

For yearly sales, check the RIAA web site. On the followink link you can find the numbers.
Manufacturers’ Unit Shipments and Dollar Value Charts
User avatar
Hanboo
Legend
 
Posts: 11554
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003
Location: Amsterdam, Holland

Postby Ndot2006 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:18 pm

Thank you so much! This is just what I needed :D Except one thing, The link you gave with the best selling albums of each year is great, but it doesn't have 1991-1994. Does anyone have those 4 years? That's the last bit of info I need. Also, could anyone tell me how many CD's were shipped for 2005? The files on the RIAA site only go to 2004.
User avatar
Ndot2006
Groupie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006
Location: Canada


Postby Hanboo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:56 pm

I can't find the singles lists 1991-4, but I have the missing album top 10's for you:

(sales in millions, artist - title)

Code: Select all
1993

5.5 Soundtrack - The Bodyguard
4.3 Janet Jackson - janet
3.8 Pearl Jam - Vs.
3.8 Kenny G - Breathless
3.3 Mariah Carey - Music Box
2.9 Eric Clapton - Unplugged
2.9 Dr. Dre - The Chronic
2.8 Stone Temple Pilots - Core
2.8 Garth Brooks - In Pieces
2.6 Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell II : Back Into Hell
2.6 Billy Joel - River Of Dreams

1992

4.7 Billy Ray Cyrus - Some Gave All
4.0 Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
3.4 Pearl Jam - Ten
3.3 The Bodyguard soundtrack
3.2 Kris Kross - Totally Krossed Out
3.1 Garth Brooks - No Fences
3.1 Garth Brooks - The Chase
2.7 Nirvana - Nevermind
2.7 Def Leppard - Adrenalized
2.6 Metallica - Metallica

1991

4.0 Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
3.4 Metallica - Metallica
3.2 Natalie Cole - Unforgettable
2.8 Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
2.2 Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
2.7 Michael Bolton - Time, Love and Tenderness
1.8 Hammer - Too Legit to Quit
1.6 Nirvana - Nevermind
1.4 U2 - Achtung Baby
1.8 Michael Jackson - Dangerous
User avatar
Hanboo
Legend
 
Posts: 11554
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003
Location: Amsterdam, Holland

Postby MJDangerous » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:17 pm

Hanboo wrote:4.0 Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
3.4 Metallica - Metallica
3.2 Natalie Cole - Unforgettable
2.8 Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
2.2 Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
2.7 Michael Bolton - Time, Love and Tenderness
1.8 Hammer - Too Legit to Quit
1.6 Nirvana - Nevermind
1.4 U2 - Achtung Baby
1.8 Michael Jackson - Dangerous
[/code]
Thanks Hanboo - Now I'm sure that many sales are according to soundscan are incomplete for 91/92 releases.
25 June 2009, the day the Music died
User avatar
MJDangerous
Legend
 
Posts: 11969
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004
Location: France

Postby Hanboo » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:31 pm

I found the Soundscan singles top 10's 1993-1992.
Unfortunately no 1992 sales numbers, except for Whitney.

Code: Select all
1993 SINGLES

2.8 Whoomp! (There It Is) - Tag Team
1.4 I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) - Meat Loaf
1.4 I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
1.3 Nuthin' But A "G" Thang - Dr. Dre
1.3 Informer - Snow
1.3 Freak Me - Silk
1.3 Can't Help Falling In Love - UB40
1.2 Dazzey Duks - Duice
1.2 All That She Wants - Ace Of Base
1.1 Gangsta Lean - DRS

1992 SINGLES

1. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (sold 2.78 m)
2. Sir Mix-A-Lot - Baby Got Back
3. Kris Kross' - Jump
4. Boyz II Men - End of the Road
5. Wreckx-N-Effect - Rump Shaker
6. Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart
7. Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven
8. House of Pain - Jump Around
9. Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy
10.Shai - If I Ever Fall in Love
User avatar
Hanboo
Legend
 
Posts: 11554
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003
Location: Amsterdam, Holland

Postby Basil » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:34 pm

Hanboo wrote:I can't find the singles lists 1991-4, but I have the missing album top 10's for you:

Thank you Hanboo, I've never seen those early figures before despite endless internet searches.
User avatar
Basil
Manager
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004
Location: Wessex

Postby Euterpe » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:46 am

I posted the record sales for 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 above
User avatar
Euterpe
Roadie
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2003
Location: Málaga (Spain)

Postby whyme » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:02 am

Hanboo wrote:
1992 SINGLES

1. Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You (sold 2.78 m)
How many weeks was this single out in 1992? I know it's weekly sales peaked at over 600k, but I find it hard to understand how it sold close to 3 million in such a short amount of time (i think it was released mid-november?).
User avatar
whyme
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003

Postby whyme » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:05 am

Hanboo wrote:
1992

4.0 Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind

3.1 Garth Brooks - No Fences
3.1 Garth Brooks - The Chase

10.2 million for Garth Brokks in one year....is this a record for a single artist in a single year? I owuld think only Celine Dion would be able to pass this in 1998 (or backstreet boys in 1999?)
User avatar
whyme
Personal Assistant
 
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003

Postby Hanboo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:40 pm

whyme wrote:
Hanboo wrote:
1992

4.0 Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
3.1 Garth Brooks - No Fences
3.1 Garth Brooks - The Chase

10.2 million for Garth Brokks in one year....is this a record for a single artist in a single year? I owuld think only Celine Dion would be able to pass this in 1998 (or backstreet boys in 1999?)
He sold more (11.6 million): he was also listed at #29 that year with "Beyond the Season" (1.4 million)...

Definitely a record for the Soundscan era.
These are the runners up:

'N SYNC - 9.9 million in 2000 (1 album)
Backstreet Boys - 9.5 million in 1999 (1 album)
Eminem - 9.1 million in 2000 (2 albums)
Britney - 8.4 million in 1999 (1 album)
User avatar
Hanboo
Legend
 
Posts: 11554
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2003
Location: Amsterdam, Holland

Postby Ndot2006 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:53 pm

Hanboo wrote:I can't find the singles lists 1991-4, but I have the missing album top 10's for you:

(sales in millions, artist - title)

Code: Select all
1993

5.5 Soundtrack - The Bodyguard
4.3 Janet Jackson - janet
3.8 Pearl Jam - Vs.
3.8 Kenny G - Breathless
3.3 Mariah Carey - Music Box
2.9 Eric Clapton - Unplugged
2.9 Dr. Dre - The Chronic
2.8 Stone Temple Pilots - Core
2.8 Garth Brooks - In Pieces
2.6 Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell II : Back Into Hell
2.6 Billy Joel - River Of Dreams

1992

4.7 Billy Ray Cyrus - Some Gave All
4.0 Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
3.4 Pearl Jam - Ten
3.3 The Bodyguard soundtrack
3.2 Kris Kross - Totally Krossed Out
3.1 Garth Brooks - No Fences
3.1 Garth Brooks - The Chase
2.7 Nirvana - Nevermind
2.7 Def Leppard - Adrenalized
2.6 Metallica - Metallica

1991

4.0 Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
3.4 Metallica - Metallica
3.2 Natalie Cole - Unforgettable
2.8 Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
2.2 Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
2.7 Michael Bolton - Time, Love and Tenderness
1.8 Hammer - Too Legit to Quit
1.6 Nirvana - Nevermind
1.4 U2 - Achtung Baby
1.8 Michael Jackson - Dangerous
Thank you so much! You've helped me out so much lol wow! This is great. thanks!
User avatar
Ndot2006
Groupie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006
Location: Canada

Postby Ndot2006 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:57 pm

Hanboo wrote:I can't find the singles lists 1991-4, but I have the missing album top 10's for you:

(sales in millions, artist - title)

Code: Select all
1993

5.5 Soundtrack - The Bodyguard
4.3 Janet Jackson - janet
3.8 Pearl Jam - Vs.
3.8 Kenny G - Breathless
3.3 Mariah Carey - Music Box
2.9 Eric Clapton - Unplugged
2.9 Dr. Dre - The Chronic
2.8 Stone Temple Pilots - Core
2.8 Garth Brooks - In Pieces
2.6 Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell II : Back Into Hell
2.6 Billy Joel - River Of Dreams

1992

4.7 Billy Ray Cyrus - Some Gave All
4.0 Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
3.4 Pearl Jam - Ten
3.3 The Bodyguard soundtrack
3.2 Kris Kross - Totally Krossed Out
3.1 Garth Brooks - No Fences
3.1 Garth Brooks - The Chase
2.7 Nirvana - Nevermind
2.7 Def Leppard - Adrenalized
2.6 Metallica - Metallica

1991

4.0 Garth Brooks - Ropin' the Wind
3.4 Metallica - Metallica
3.2 Natalie Cole - Unforgettable
2.8 Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
2.2 Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
2.7 Michael Bolton - Time, Love and Tenderness
1.8 Hammer - Too Legit to Quit
1.6 Nirvana - Nevermind
1.4 U2 - Achtung Baby
1.8 Michael Jackson - Dangerous
Thank you so much hanboo! You've helped me out tremendously. :D
User avatar
Ndot2006
Groupie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006
Location: Canada

Postby LostAvenger » Wed May 08, 2013 11:45 pm

Top 3 Best Selling Singles Of 1992:

01 3,086,000 I Will Always Love You - Whitney Houston
02 2,392,000 Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-A-Lot
02 2,079,000 Jump - Kris Kross
User avatar
LostAvenger
Legend
 
Posts: 25892
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004
Location: Long Island City/Queensbridge, New York

Return to Chart Analysis